A Year In Thailand From Uk

I am thinking of coming over to Thailand next April for (hopefully) a year to concentrate on some writing in a country I love. I am a UK passport holder and - apart from the £3,000-£4,000 I'll have in the bank - will be earning around £400 a month independently. I've heard a lot of conflicting stories about what visas will be available to me, so much so that I am now thoroughly confused!

Will I be able to get a one-year multiple entry visa?

Or just a 30 day visa?

If I can only get a 30 day visa, will I be able to extend it with visa runs to be able to stay for a year?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! Thank you!

Your finances sounds very low. I would head away from major cities and resorts. I don't think you will be eligible for a one year multi-entry O but you could start on a double entry tourist visa. Each 60 day stay can be extended 30 days in Thailand. From there you could do border runs, 15 days for land entries, 30 days for air entries; can also go to neighboring countries to get more 60 day tourist visas (but they can always decide to say no at their discretion). But I sincerely think you don't have enough money. Have you considered Cambodia? Not that it's much cheaper but there you can easily take care of your annual visa in country, and not have to worry about scrounging up new permissions to stay which may drain your minimal money.

Edited by Jingthing

The first thing you need to sort out are your finances, you look to be sailing very near the edge to me also. How you access your funds, the UK is likely to be free, not so likely here and the cost of border runs needs to be taken into consideration. They are not always the price that is on the packet, sometimes, depending where you go, there may be ex gratia payments to allow if you get my drift, Its right about the cities too, can be expensive before you realize whats happenend and then there is the work thing, can you or cant you? Life is never simple, re evalute your situation and dont be easy with yourself you might regret it. Good luck with your deliberations.

Have you been here recently? Most expats agree, Thailand is no longer a country that can honestly be called really cheap.

Another idea for you. Your visa situation is going to be a headache. There is a way you could stay in Thailand a year without visa runs -- the ED visa. You need to hook up with a legit school that has a program for that. Lots of details on the search tool here. Generally people "study" Thai; I think four hours a week in class, such a burden, plus money for the courses and in country immigration business. But I think comparable or even less to the visa run option (which isn't very secure anyway) and less travel hassles.

Edited by Jingthing

Triple entry tourist visa with extensions will give you 9 months then obtain in Cambodia double entry, will give you up to another 6 months.

£700-800 a month doable if not partaking too much of the night life.

Can't beat Pattaya for choices in my opinion cheap accommodation and cheap Farang food.

Edited by kevkev1888

Certainly you need to confirm that the work is not done in Thailand or for a thai employer/contractor/client. The process of working online for an organisation outside of thailand has not been well-defined as "working in Thailand" or not. It seems that lots of people do it and do not have a problem, but be aware that Thailand takes a very dim view of foreign people working in Thailand without the proper papers/visas/permits.

It is certainly possible to live on £400 a month - that's about 20,000baht - if you live like a Thai guy. They earn less than that and survive happily but you have extra costs for maintaining your visa situation and for accessing the money through the banking system. Be careful of things like poor rates of exchange when using ATM's and other similar pitfalls. On the outskirts of Bangkok you can easily find a reasonable room to rent for about 2500baht per month, including aircon, balcony, bathroom, bed, wardrobe, dresser. Simple but sufficient for economic living. Street food is fine, just be prepared to search for the one who can actually cook ;)

Lots more info on cheap buses, etc if you want -- depending on where you want to settle.

Edited by jpinx

Triple entry tourist visa with extensions will give you 9 months then obtain in Cambodia double entry, will give you up to another 6 months.

£700-800 a month doable if not partaking too much of the night life.

Can't beat Pattaya for choices in my opinion cheap accommodation and cheap Farang food.

Whilst I agree 750 a month is doable it is only just so. Then at the end of the year he goes back to the UK with four tenths of phi alpha. It rather depends on his circumstances in the UK whether he could return to the country and find a place to stay for next to nothing.

Also, yes though Pattaya is a good place for choices not all of them work out cheap in the long run and some of them will clean him out in the blink of an eye. That depends on how strong a will power he has, or rather how strong his won't power is. ;)

If you intend to concentrate on your writing and devote your attention to your work, the last thing you would want is the inconvenience and disruption of performing visa runs. They would also be a drain on finances, in your circumstances. Living in Thailand can be expensive and one needs cash in reserve for unforeseen problems. It is often plagued with them.

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, because you say you love it here, and I understand that (or I did), but have you considered cheaper parts of Europe? You could stay without a visa and the whole affair would just be a lot less stressful for you.

Personally I would prefer sitting down writing, overlooking a clean European landscape with fresh air and maybe a picturesque coastline than a grotty backstreet in some dusty, dry and arid Thai town, with the continual interruptions of barking dogs, deafening loud music and screaming trucks and motorbikes rushing past. But each to his, or her, own.

The other thing, is that in Europe you can do what you want legally and can relax, whereas in Thailand many things are obstructive and require you to circumvent the rules. That's just the way it is here and foreigners are very much outsiders. Best of luck - wish I was in your shoes and could choose all over again.

If you intend to concentrate on your writing and devote your attention to your work, the last thing you would want is the inconvenience and disruption of performing visa runs. They would also be a drain on finances, in your circumstances. Living in Thailand can be expensive and one needs cash in reserve for unforeseen problems. It is often plagued with them.

I don't mean to sound unhelpful, because you say you love it here, and I understand that (or I did), but have you considered cheaper parts of Europe? You could stay without a visa and the whole affair would just be a lot less stressful for you.

Personally I would prefer sitting down writing, overlooking a clean European landscape with fresh air and maybe a picturesque coastline than a grotty backstreet in some dusty, dry and arid Thai town, with the continual interruptions of barking dogs, deafening loud music and screaming trucks and motorbikes rushing past. But each to his, or her, own.

The other thing, is that in Europe you can do what you want legally and can relax, whereas in Thailand many things are obstructive and require you to circumvent the rules. That's just the way it is here and foreigners are very much outsiders. Best of luck - wish I was in your shoes and could choose all over again.

The grass is always greener ........ B)

Yes the grass is always greener until a dog comes by and pi----s on your side of the fence. You need really to think how you want to live and where. You donot have enough money to live a even moderate farange life style.

OP does not have enough money or income, to have any real quality of life here.

4000 GBP is 200,000 baht approx. 400 GBP per month is 20,000 baht approx or 240,000 baht for the year, a princely sum of 440,000 baht total for the year. Immigration seem to think we need 800,000 baht, which seems to be reasonable IMHO.

Yes the grass is always greener until a dog comes by and pi----s on your side of the fence. You need really to think how you want to live and where. You donot have enough money to live a even moderate farange life style.

Define "moderate farange life style" -- and then explain why he and many others can not live more like the thai people ;)

Define "moderate farange life style" -- and then explain why he and many others can not live more like the thai people ;)

And depending where one lives its sometimes hard to live a farang life style per se.

....I'm 63...i lived in Pattaya for 3 years recently...mixture of non o's (before rules changed) and a trip home plus a couple of double tourist visa's later on...was doing ok on £1000 per month,i remember 70 baht to £ in 2007... ...i had an apartment towards sukhumvit rd and a few good nights out each week...ate cheaply in the local thai restaurants, i was as happy as larry.

...then disaster...the £ exchange rate plumeted...as you all are awhere of.....i struggled on hoping of a resurection of previous rates.....it never happened.

...did me in and now i'm back in uk gatthering as much cash as i can before giving it another go...

...been going to Pattaya since 1979 on vacation mostly so i'm hooked on the place...yes i remember when there wasnt much past 2nd rd and 3rd road was just a muddy dirt track.

...i know it wont be the same, but like all of you i am prepared to rough it as best i can in my last bash at life..

just a little story.

Edited by zanger535

4000 GBP is 200,000 baht approx. 400 GBP per month is 20,000 baht approx or 240,000 baht for the year, a princely sum of 440,000 baht total for the year. Immigration seem to think we need 800,000 baht, which seems to be reasonable IMHO.

The 800K figure is irrelevant to the OP. Lots of retirees spend MUCH LESS than 800K annually, especially those who have paid up housing. Which brings us to the topic of housing, he would need to keep the rent VERY LOW, but guess what, that's easily possible. Quality of life is a personal thing. For a personal that loves Thai food served local style, doesn't have health problems, can tolerate a low rent place, just the excitement of living in Thailand could potentially be satisfying for a year. I wouldn't suggest moving here permanently to a life of living on the financial cliff though. In the OP's case, it's his decision, but he should be aware the holiday mode of free spending wouldn't be happening at those levels.

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys! Some fairly conflicting information but on the whole fairly negative (but helpfully so). It's good to get an unbiased perspective, especially on the financial aspects.

Sambai's probably right about thinking of Europe instead (it's something I'm considering) but wanted to see how do-able Thailand was as it's one of my favourite places. ;I'm not a reckless spender anyway (in London of all places I manage to live on around 700 pounds a month) but hadn't taken into account the costs involved in visa runs.

Back to the drawing board!

Hmm... I wonder how cheap it is to live in Cyprus...

Which Thai people the ones driving Beemers or the ones living Klong Toei

Wow, thanks for all the advice guys! Some fairly conflicting information but on the whole fairly negative (but helpfully so). It's good to get an unbiased perspective, especially on the financial aspects.

Sambai's probably right about thinking of Europe instead (it's something I'm considering) but wanted to see how do-able Thailand was as it's one of my favourite places. ;I'm not a reckless spender anyway (in London of all places I manage to live on around 700 pounds a month) but hadn't taken into account the costs involved in visa runs.

By going Greek you would save a considerable sum on airfare to start with, Day to day is not going to be cheap nowadays but if thing started to look problematic you are closer and easier to return. main thing is NO visa/illegal working issues.

For more economic considerations stay away from the main places like Paphos, Aya Napa,Larnaca which are the main tourist areas and accomadation will be expensive.

Edited by CharlieH

Bulgaria is in EU and was cheap a couple of years ago. Morocco is relaxed for foreign residents and reasonably close. Spain is still cheap if you stay well away from the coastal tourist areas. Good luck with your "new life" B)

...the OP loves thailand...there's no point in going anywhere else in the world...it wouldnt be the same..

if i was him i would explore the various tourist visa options - cross border into Cambodia for a time options...lao and a quick trip back to UK..

i did it...flew to london went to Hull stayed overnight got my visa flew back that day...mind you things have changed recently...

art least he would be where he wants to be..

tip...go easy on the women then you may have a chance on your budget...

There might be a way for you to receive a Non-O multiple Entry visa at a Thai consulate in your country, but not at a Thai embassy! The Non-O must be based on visiting relatives in Thailand.

Depending on your story, you might be able to obtain a one year Non-B visa, which will also enable you to work here. Why don’t you just go to Hull (for example) and check what’s there for you?

800,000 baht is for a retirement visa, if you would have a visa from a Thai consulate in your country, you’ll have to leave Thailand every 90 days. They won't look into your financial situation then. Good luck! :jap:

Don't listen to all the nay-sayers here. You can live perfectly well on GBP400 monthly renting a cheap room and eating Thai style, even in Bangkok. You'll have to rein in any expensive tastes, but otherwise you'll have no problem as long as you enjoy a simple lifestyle. Visa runs need not cost you more than GBP100 if you box clever. Presumably you'll bring your own laptop and not need to buy any hardware. Your only problem might be unexpected major health issues, but then you'd just go back to Britain and get attention for free.

As to working as a writer, there's no problem either. Scores of people do it here for money without any problem, or only occasional ones.

Go for it!

Lovely, helpful posts from all. You are to be commended for your kindly willingness to guide this lad in unfamiliar territory. Nothing but earnest encouragement from all you wizards.<br><br>Thank you for this tidy post.<br><br>Kind regards<br>