Temporary/Mobile Internet In Isaan

cracktheskye

I am going to be staying at my girlfriends village about 45 mins SE of Ubon Ratchathani for four weeks. I really need to have some form of Internet and wondered what my best option was as I have never had to worry about getting internet service before.I have a Nokia 5800 mobile and will have my laptop if that is any help, thanks for your help.

Does the village have full phone signal from AIS (1...2.. Call) ?

There is an Internet Forum on ThaiVisa with a sub-forum for mobile devices...take a look, I'm sure you can get some good help there. I am in the Surin area and struggled for a couple of years trying to get good internet, had satellite (no good in thunder/lightning storms, and we get a lot this time of year), the AIS aircards they advertise as 3G (maybe someday, but for now excruciatingly slow), and now I finally have good wireless from a tower they erected in our village. Yippee!!!

Good luck to you, do try the Internet Forum for help.

mario299 :jap:

Memock I have a dongle, but very poor signal most of the time. Bluetooth seems to work OK . Get the girlfriend to charge your phone, then phone the service center and get a 25 or 50 hour internet package. As long as you get a signal it will work. Dongles are for sale in Tesco's, or go the Bluetooth way. Jim

If you are here short term , then Air -Card is your only option . That is by your mobile phone ,Beware , it is appallingly slow. Useful for Email .Do not try and be adventurous ,It will not work . If you are going to be a permanent reprobate. then your options are ":: Satellite buy from Loxley in Bangkok. I used it for 3 years. Somebody complained, you could not use it in a thunderstorm .Of course not .I always turned everything off during a thunderstorm ,Except once .Lightning struck my satellite dish ,Blew it it smithereens, And my monitor went up in smoke as well. If you are living in a village : MORAL. turn off everything electrical .IF you are near the centre of an Electrical storm.Now I am in contact with the a phone tower ,so can use CAT CDMA. Quite acceptable, as I have no possibility of ever obtaining a land line. As prices have changed over the past 4 years ,You need to contact CAT, if you want CDMA to find out if where you live you have a tower that is CDMA equipped and how much it will cost. In the interim, yes ,your Nokia phone should work S L o w l y

Try CAT. I use this when my ADSL2 is down, works fine for me and I have the slower option, CAT has two packages for you to consider.

CAT is a USB drive system using the CDMA network, works fine in Isaan but doesn't work in the big smoke... (BKK).

Best of luck...

I bought the CDMA device in SE-ED BOOK STORE in Khon Kaen central apparently you can only buy them there at the moment,if you buy the USB it is around 2000 baht and they give you 200 baht on the air card which is I-FOX.It is by far the best in Isaan and very happy with it.It also works in Ubon

www.ifoxonline.com

www.facebook.com/ifoxsocial

If you are more than 3 km away from a phone tower, you can not use Cat USB.

At least that's what Cat told me in Ubon a month ago! ;)

Not correct.You can. But you need an antenna. With that you can ,depending on the terrain,get CAT CDMA up to 15 kilometres.One of my friends is 12 kilometres from the tower and gets it, no problem.

I have some experience with AIS (EDGE) near Yasothon with the iPhone as a mobile hotspot for my Macbook. I am using the 799 THB/month unlimited Internet access package from AIS because I am always onlime with my iPhone. But AIS has also other, cheaper packages.

The Internet connection is quite slow but enough for reading and sending e-mails and browsing simple website.

I use for already 4 years a PCMCIA GPS/GPRS Card made by EagleTec wich fit in a slot in my Laptop, and it works well, slow but well. even in the ricepaddy's. I used it in Srisaket, Ubon, Korat, in the bus,train, car, in Sweden ( much more expensive) and it worked. you put it in your laptop, install the software, add a simcard 500 bath, and voila internet and you can make phone-calls. E-mail, Thaivisa.com, Teletekst etc works fine, avoid heavy sites with Flash, Youtube etc, therefore it's to slow. like i said 5 years old, maybe there are already faster ones.

I use for already 4 years a PCMCIA GPS/GPRS Card made by EagleTec wich fit in a slot in my Laptop, and it works well, slow but well. even in the ricepaddy's. I used it in Srisaket, Ubon, Korat, in the bus,train, car, in Sweden ( much more expensive) and it worked. you put it in your laptop, install the software, add a simcard 500 bath, and voila internet and you can make phone-calls. E-mail, Thaivisa.com, Teletekst etc works fine, avoid heavy sites with Flash, Youtube etc, therefore it's to slow. like i said 5 years old, maybe there are already faster ones.

500 bath?Do you know what a bath is? The currency Of Thailand is the BAHT. Will people try and get it correct. You are insulting this country,if you cannot get the name of the currency correct

500 bath?Do you know what a bath is? The currency Of Thailand is the BAHT. Will people try and get it correct. You are insulting this country,if you cannot get the name of the currency correct

For a 500 point bonus round question, afarang - what was the Siamese currency refered to before it was labeled as the Baht?B)

For a 500 point bonus round question, afarang - what was the Siamese currency refered to before it was labeled as the Baht?B)

The Tical ,I think until about 1925,way before ,ancient as I am ,long before even I was born.I must admit ,I have NEVER seen one, nor held one in my hand. Have you?

The Tical ,I think until about 1925,way before ,ancient as I am ,long before even I was born.I must admit ,I have NEVER seen one, nor held one in my hand. Have you?

Nor have I held one, less seen a physical presence. Yet, a viewing of the tical [numerous denominations] before the period can be found online.

Glad that someone else feels its ludicrous that people cannot spell a simple 4 letter word !!

Bath, Bhat and even seen Batty.

Does the village have full phone signal from AIS (1...2.. Call) ?

There is an Internet Forum on ThaiVisa with a sub-forum for mobile devices...take a look, I'm sure you can get some good help there. I am in the Surin area and struggled for a couple of years trying to get good internet, had satellite (no good in thunder/lightning storms, and we get a lot this time of year), the AIS aircards they advertise as 3G (maybe someday, but for now excruciatingly slow), and now I finally have good wireless from a tower they erected in our village. Yippee!!!

Good luck to you, do try the Internet Forum for help.

Hi Mario, this is Dario also in the Surin area, between Rattanaburi and Tha Tum.

I read your post about the tower which was erected in your village. Right now I'm struggling with Ipstar which is expensive and unreliable. Our TOT man in Tha Tum talked about ereceting a 15 m tower at our home at a cost of 10'000 Baht for us. This might be the same system you have. What speeds do you get and what do you pay per month?

Hi Mario, this is Dario also in the Surin area, between Rattanaburi and Tha Tum.

I read your post about the tower which was erected in your village. Right now I'm struggling with Ipstar which is expensive and unreliable. Our TOT man in Tha Tum talked about ereceting a 15 m tower at our home at a cost of 10'000 Baht for us. This might be the same system you have. What speeds do you get and what do you pay per month?

Dario

I have sent you a PM with the information. Good luck!

Edited by mario299