Driving In Hua Hin

hinhua

Hello.

Well, I've rented a motorbike now and having fun driving around Hua Hin and about.

A few observations and questions came to mind:-

• The locals drive quite scarily - I mean cutting corners, not signalling, not looking behind, cutting you up! quite scary sometimes!
  • What happens if the police stop me as I don't have a license at the moment (oops). I've been told that I just need to pay a fine, is that right? and how much is it?
  • I've seen Thais turning left at the lights even when a signs says no turn left on red, so I wasn't sure whether I should just go ahead and follow them or wait until the lights change?
  • Helmets - the quality is absolutely rubbish. I think I'll need to invest in a decent helmet....

Thanks for comments.

ya need an international license to operate A motorvehicle in thailand.What will likely happen is that the police that talk to you might want some money right then and there.Or ya might go down the station and pay some money.

I am living 5 years in Hua Hin and as you describe the trafic is quite normal and in some WEB you can read, motorbike always have priority in front of cars. Usual if you wear a helmet police don't controle you even Friday evening where they are mostly present to make some pocket money for the weekend. If helmet rubish or not doesn't matter but it protect you to be stopped and controlled. Since 5 years I was stoped 2 times because I forgot the helmet but nobody asked me for documents or driver license, just 400 Bath if I pay on station, if I put 200 in my trunk under the seat most police man are satisfied. Remember put all your documents there and ONLY a copy of your passport, never hand out your original passport by a good reason. Hua Hin and his sign are unique in Thailand ..... ! 2 week ago, for a week the yellow plate with black written ..... no turn left on red ..... was covred by a new idea which is hard to understand .... see my picture!!! If you go ahead by red light at the sign ..... no turn left on red .... depend on your feelings, if a Thai do you can follow but myself for my own safety I stop because I am never in such hurry ...... and I know in each case, always Farang is guilty and in the payroll. How you rent a motorbike without driver license? Maybe on the same way as my son 14 years young while he spend his holidays here? Avoid any accident and you are on the safe side ..... if happen you hurt somebody then you need urgend a lawyer .... I never wish you, but you could PM me ... I know a excellent one. Enjoy driving and be safe. ":jap:"

post-98550-0-12170000-1311959213_thumb.j

Edited by challenger99

Drivin without a valid driver's license will most likely make any insurance claim useless should an accident occur. Beware, that could be a very costly business.

You are right in case of accident, you pay all by yourself ..... but not for Thai, I learn about 40% of motorbykedriver and country side more then 50% haven't driver license plus 20% car driver too.

I have both, Thai car and motorcycle driver license, so in case of accident ask first for his license and then in most of case if acceident little, he go away!

I am living 5 years in Hua Hin and as you describe the trafic is quite normal and in some WEB you can read, motorbike always have priority in front of cars. Usual if you wear a helmet police don't controle you even Friday evening where they are mostly present to make some pocket money for the weekend. If helmet rubish or not doesn't matter but it protect you to be stopped and controlled. Since 5 years I was stoped 2 times because I forgot the helmet but nobody asked me for documents or driver license, just 400 Bath if I pay on station, if I put 200 in my trunk under the seat most police man are satisfied. Remember put all your documents there and ONLY a copy of your passport, never hand out your original passport by a good reason. Hua Hin and his sign are unique in Thailand ..... ! 2 week ago, for a week the yellow plate with black written ..... no turn left on red ..... was covred by a new idea which is hard to understand .... see my picture!!! If you go ahead by red light at the sign ..... no turn left on red .... depend on your feelings, if a Thai do you can follow but myself for my own safety I stop because I am never in such hurry ...... and I know in each case, always Farang is guilty and in the payroll. How you rent a motorbike without driver license? Maybe on the same way as my son 14 years young while he spend his holidays here? Avoid any accident and you are on the safe side ..... if happen you hurt somebody then you need urgend a lawyer .... I never wish you, but you could PM me ... I know a excellent one. Enjoy driving and be safe. ":jap:"

Here again both plate, the original yellow with black letter and the white with red letter ..... asking why they toke away the second white, they explain they first seek a clear and proper translation for english ha ha ha ..... so expect it will change soon again

post-98550-0-27636500-1312019019_thumb.j

post-98550-0-96396200-1312019059_thumb.j

Drivin without a valid driver's license will most likely make any insurance claim useless should an accident occur. Beware, that could be a very costly business.

scoots dont have any insurance anyway, just the compulsory covering max 100k baht 3rd party

riding without a DL Police is not a problem, just a few hundred baht official ticket or same amount in pocket

The major problem is having an accident, and you will automaticly be at fault if no DL or drunk. Can cost millions, and they can keep you in jail until you have paid

All you need to get Thai DL is passport, "Certficate of Residence" issued by local Immigration or your Embassy, and a medical at 100 baht from any clinick. Tests are extremely easy

Hello. I think I'll try get a license sooner rather than later then, sounds like a good plan.

There's lots of mis-translation everywhere, I don't know why they don't just use someone that's a native English speaker once in a while to check their road signs, and other things.

On the beach there is a sign that says something like "Careful! the rock full of fishshell" and even though it makes sense it's not exactly a shining example of correct and readable grammar.

I did laugh a bit when I saw that...he he

You can buy extra insurance for your bike and thats recommended.

The Parabor just covers for very basic road risks no third party damage to property.

In fact I'm not even sure if it covers anything.

Drive without a licence and even the Parabor would be invalid.

Even though the helmets are of limited quality (what do you expect for 150 baht) it's better than skull on pavement/road.

You can buy extra insurance for your bike and thats recommended.

The Parabor just covers for very basic road risks no third party damage to property.

In fact I'm not even sure if it covers anything.

Drive without a licence and even the Parabor would be invalid.

Even though the helmets are of limited quality (what do you expect for 150 baht) it's better than skull on pavement/road.

Por A Bor compulsary Insurance covers close to nothing even with a DL, and is it costs one hundred baht/year for a small bike or 680 baht/year for a 1,5 million baht Fortuna, it goes without saying it doesnt cover anything

if bike is less than 10 years old, proper 3rd party Insurance can be purchased from Thaivisainsurance.com. Online advice in English language, and not expensive