Foreigners' Rights Under Thai Law Seminar Announced

webfact

Thanks for all the advice from all you luk krung.

The problem is not just my desire to give up his Thai nationality in order to avoid military service.

I am divorced from my wife (the boys mother). She will soon remarry an American and move to live there.

BTW I am not American. I am led to believe that ultimately he will have to become a US citizen which would mean having to give up one of his other two existing nationalities,one of which of course is Thai.

In my opinion the other one (mine) wins I'm afraid.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd happily let my son do National Service, I think it should be brought back into Britain it'll teach some of the young some manners and respect.

Thanks for the advise though guys.

I would not look forward to my luk krung son doing "national service" in Thailand. He has dual citizenship now and we propose to give up the Thai

before he's old enough to be conscripted.

I could not think of anything worse that I would allow him to be subjected to, as while he is Thai he doesn't look at all Thai.

I dare say that he might be subjected to the worst the army had to offer.

In my home country I would probably not object though I am far from a military sympathiser.

As thought, shouldnt you be letting your son decide what he wants to do when the time conmes, seems to me your making the decision for him, he may in fact want to go into the military.

In most armies in the world they do not discriminate against new recruits ethnicity, they dispise them all equally...:rolleyes:

off course we have rights: the rights to spend (most of your) money, pay taxes, social security and beg each year that your stay might get extended for another 12 months

no more money (400k in the bank) or job and it's bye bye for you

even you have wife/children/condo/car/...

I think if we farang do not get any rights and threated like 2nd class citizen, our home countries would repay Thais by not allowing them to buy land, leave country if not enough $$ every year on their bankaccount, have no jobs...

that would be called: EQUAL rights

You knew the rules when you sat into the game. What ever possed you to think they were going to change them.

I don't know what country you are from but I am betting it is not easy for a Thai to get a retirement visa there. Heck just to get a visitors visa for a Thai to North America is not that easy to do.

Spot on,some people don't know how lucky they are,whinge,whinge,whinge.