Broadband And Linux With Cable

BugJackBaron

I am considering getting a cable connection(cable is in the room) but the impression I am getting is that you need to set up a username and password in your computer and of course this is all designed for windows.

As a linux user I would like username and passord, if needed, to be set in the router so access to TOT or 3BB is transparent.

Does TOT or 3BB do it this way? Are there dumb software issues with running linux?

Do we need to use old pppoe technology?

Inquiring minds want to know...

I'm not very sure of using a virtual box to run the setup, but two years ago when i had a similar issue, a guy at 3bb's call center tried to talk me through the process, but I couldn't understand hime because of communication problem. I wasn't home when they installed my connection, so I couldn't get the technicians to do it for me. I had to install windows on another partition ( dual boot ) to get around the problem.

It depends on the router given to you be the ISP. I have 3BB and the free router supplied handles the login. If the router is not capable regardless of the OS it will need to use PPPOE to login. Again this is not a problem in Linux. Another alternative, if the router is not capable of handling the login, is to buy a wifi router and let that handle the login.

Edited by justsumhelp

It depends on the router given to you be the ISP. I have 3BB and the free router supplied handles the login. If the router is not capable regardless of the OS it will need to use PPPOE to login. Again this is not a problem in Linux. Another alternative, if the router is not capable of handling the login, is to buy a wifi router and let that handle the login.

Thanks for the reply. I wonder then if you can request such a router.

As for the wifi-router,how would it work? Woudn't that mean you are connected via wifi and not directly through cable? I would prefer not to use wifi all as it is prone to lag.

Yes most linux distros have a pppoe package but some of the smaller ones may not so distro testing may be limited(an occasional hobby); many live DVDs won't have the pppoe package included.

I remember 7 years ago in Korea they switched from pppoe to direct router configuration and it made life so much easier( don't need to be concerned about reinstallation of your OS, arbitrary devices can connect to router, live dvd testing possible)

Edited by BugJackBaron

I don't know squat about Linux as I've always used Windows. But I do have TrueOnline cable internet (and TV) and no User ID/Password is used like in DSL connections.

In fact, when True installed my cable internet, you as an individual, are not issued a User ID/Password on a piece of paper like for DSL line. The True technician does enter some type of coding from the cable modem when setting up the connection/installing the modem (it appeared he entered the MAC address and the serial number off the modem while logged onto the True circuits...I did watch him enter the MAC/serial number while logged on a certain True website...then he called True to complete the activation). This marries the modem to the local cable circuit...then you are online.

And when you go into the modem's setup menu afterward to tweak settings, there is no place for a User ID/Password, except where you can enter a User ID/Password to restrict access to the setup menu....but no User ID/Password menu to actually make the internet connection is available. Worked the same way for me in the States when I had both cable internet and DSL internet. The cable modem seems to work like a cable TV set-top box, in that it uses a subscription/special coding, although there is no subscription card. And when I was saying cable modem, I actually have a True-provided Wifi integrated router & modem (a Cisco model). True will also provide a modem only if you want to use your separate router.

Edited by Pib

You would connect modem to wifi router. The router will also have lan ports, so you could have a ethernet connection. Which distro are you using? I think almost all should have pppoe software in the repository, if not you could always build one from another source.

You would connect modem to wifi router. The router will also have lan ports, so you could have a ethernet connection. Which distro are you using? I think almost all should have pppoe software in the repository, if not you could always build one from another source.

I use Scientific Linux right now. Sure it and others have pppoe in the repository but obviously what you need

is to have it on the installation disk(or live dvd). Most won't so how could you connect to

the internet to download pppoe :whistling:?

Maybe I would have to use slackware as I remember they are one of the rare ones that do. Or go to a free wifi spot and download/install from there. But it is hardly a good solution.

You could put it on a usb, or build your own live cd/usb image which includes pppoe support.

I use Scientific Linux right now. Sure it and others have pppoe in the repository but obviously what you need

is to have it on the installation disk(or live dvd). Most won't so how could you connect to

the internet to download pppoe :whistling:?

Maybe I would have to use slackware as I remember they are one of the rare ones that do. Or go to a free wifi spot and download/install from there. But it is hardly a good solution.

• 5 weeks later...

I will stay away from True, most modems/routers from True have a modified firmware so that options in the modem/router are not available or are only available with passwords which they not give...

I have very good experience with TOT, they basically have two options if you apply for a Internet connection, the first is a 99 THB 2 port (USB/Ethernet) ADSL modem, or a 599 THB multi-port router with WIFI. With the first option the 99 THB ADSL modem you need to connect by using pppoe, setup is not difficult if you use the latest Ubuntu or some other modern distribution. But personally I find the pppoe option a bit old fashion so I would recommend that you go for the 599 THB modem-router-wifi combo (depending on your connection speed you maybe get it for a lower price..).

Connecting to the 599 THB router was easy, the brand was TP-Link and I connected it looked up the default IP address in the little quick-start manual and connected... entered the default username: admin and default password and I was in.... the actual setup is also easy, and not different than you would have with MS Windows... most settings you not have to worry about so you only enter username, and password changed the default password for the router and I changed the default IP address to be more compatible with my network, also I blocked remote access to the router setup and saved it and rebooted... Internet was online...