Cat Cdma

O.K ,I Have just spent a reasonably unproductive hour on the phone to CAT, BANGKOK (1322). I live in Ban Kruat ,Buriram. CAT tell me it will be at least 2 Years, yes at least 2 years ,before CDMA is disconnected.They also tell me that there will be some form of upgrade, to the "new" 3 G system ,to existing subscribers. But they cannot tell me how it will work. My guess is that CAT, which would have to be the most uncommunicative organisation ,I have ever had contact with,simply DO NOT KNOW what the future holds for their existing subscribers. Or if they DO ,are 100% UNwilling to tell, relay that information to their existing subscribers. I rang our nearest CAT office , in Buriram, who were supposed to ring me back but they never did.In my honest opinion ,I get the feeling that CAT have NO idea , what the future holds for their current subscribers.On a more positive note ,our CDMA is working quite well ,but does go down about once a month. Today ,we were off for about 4 hours.But overall ,it is not too bad. Certainly better than Loxley satellite.

Thanks for posting your comments its appreciated , I think actual current CAT CDMA users here in Thailand will just have to go along with what ever happens , it may be a bumpy ride but I think by now people living here have got use to it and act the best they can when the time comes . Personally CAT CDMA is my only decent internet option where I live , but who know's what the future holds .

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O.K ,I Have just spent a reasonably unproductive hour on the phone to CAT, BANGKOK (1322). I live in Ban Kruat ,Buriram. CAT tell me it will be at least 2 Years, yes at least 2 years ,before CDMA is disconnected.They also tell me that there will be some form of upgrade, to the "new" 3 G system ,to existing subscribers. But they cannot tell me how it will work. My guess is that CAT, which would have to be the most uncommunicative organisation ,I have ever had contact with,simply DO NOT KNOW what the future holds for their existing subscribers. Or if they DO ,are 100% UNwilling to tell, relay that information to their existing subscribers. I rang our nearest CAT office , in Buriram, who were supposed to ring me back but they never did.In my honest opinion ,I get the feeling that CAT have NO idea , what the future holds for their current subscribers.On a more positive note ,our CDMA is working quite well ,but does go down about once a month. Today ,we were off for about 4 hours.But overall ,it is not too bad. Certainly better than Loxley satellite.

Thanks for posting your comments its appreciated , I think actual current CAT CDMA users here in Thailand will just have to go along with what ever happens , it may be a bumpy ride but I think by now people living here have got use to it and act the best they can when the time comes . Personally CAT CDMA is my only decent internet option where I live , but who know's what the future holds .

A very good common sense post.

I found your "interpretation".

Two years sounds optimistic. As they install HSPA equipment I suspect your CDMA service will suffer "issues".

That CDMA gear is ancient, and Truemove H want to "migrate" you to HSPA. I think, based on public statements, you're looking at April 2012, best case. Not sure about your current pricing/packaging but you should expect fewer mega-Bytes and more baht, going forward. The 'salad days' are coming to an end. ;)

Do you know anything about telco network engineering? On what basis do you figure CDMA will suffer "issues"? Why would CAT care about migrating customers to the joint venture? I figure they most likely make more money off of them if they stay where they are.

I think they'll just keep running it, and keep billing people. And I agree with afarang that other than that, they have absolutely no idea what they'll do in the future.

My global telecomms and datacomms product design, product management, systems engineering and sales engineering experience is limited to 25 years across a number of start-ups (first sold to Lucent, second sold to Nokia) and service providers.

I'm basing my opinion on available information. Example:

Thai cellco True Move and state-run CAT Telecom this morning signed a deal to convert the CDMA network formerly operated by Hutchison CAT Wireless Multimedia (Hutch) into a W-CDMA/HSPA-based 3G service, according to the Bangkok Post. Under the deal, True Move, which recently agreed to buy Hong Kong’s Hutchison out of the public-private CDMA joint venture, will install HSPA equipment at 1,400 CDMA2000 base station sites in 25 central provinces including metropolitan Bangkok and then allow CAT Telecom to buy or lease the network. Furthermore, CAT has also reportedly agreed to lease additional HSPA equipment from True Move that will be installed at 1,600 CDMA base station sites across Thailand’s 51 provinces (which currently provide 1xEV-DO-based services under CAT’s wholly owned CAT CDMA brand). The network will be open for rent or purchase to rival cellcos including mobile virtual network operators. According to the report, True and CAT want to launch HSPA services over the combined 3,000-site national network by the end of this year.

I assume we're talking about the "... 1,600 CDMA base station sites across Thailand’s 51 provinces (which currently provide 1xEV-DO-based services under CAT’s wholly owned CAT CDMA brand)."?

This service addresses a somewhat stagnant market, using somewhat proprietary technology, for fixed-line broadband replacement. It cannot accommodate the rapidly growing open mobile broadband market segment. Obviously there are millions of 3G end-points in the country now, and more being sold each day.

These base-station locations often have limited on-site power, and limited back-haul capacity. Once HSPA gear is installed, the CDMA gear may have to be decommissioned, or share back-haul. Hence the service may suffer issues. This will be a migration process, and no one is saying you will be without internet access. Customers will be transitioned to HSPA either from CAT or perhaps an MVNO? For equipment any Android phone could serve as a modem, or one could use a simple 3G air-card, or MiFi device. I'm not familiar with CAT/CDMA pricing/packaging but I suspect there may not be purely unlimited plans with HSPA.

Again, these are just my opinions. I am not privvy to internal plans at Truemove H/CAT, nor do I use the services.

Good answer - but note that they only "reportedly" want to convert these stations in the provinces. When I read such a sentence in connection with 3G in Thailand, I automatically translate it to "it's probably never going to happen".

Keep in mind that CAT and TOT "want" things all the time, and nothing happens. For example I remember TOT was going to cover the entirety of Thailand with their MVNO-operated 3G. However, what really happened was that these services are still running only in those few areas in BKK that were part of the initial trial. Country-wide? Hardly.

IMO all of this - including CAT's "reported" plan for the 51 other provinces - is part of the great 3G tussle in which CAT and TOT want to keep their piece of the pie, and the operators trying to prevent that.

That they convert the Hutch network for True makes perfect sense, there's not that many subscribers, and they have now failed for years to unify it with the rest of their network. Another case in point of how incompetent CAT really is. And another case in point of how CAT "wants" things that then never happen - as I recall reading about them unifying their network with the CAT operated Hutch network for at least 5 years now. CAT are jokers and nothing they say makes any sense.

The MVNO fairy tale:

One upon a time, the great company CAT dreamed up a scheme in which it would own and operate all the 3G equipment in Thailand, and many happy MVNOs would run on top of their grand network, providing all Thais with excellent and reasonably priced service. And the MVNOs would be so happy to provide CAT with a nice 30% concession fee for running the network so well and CAT management would just lean back and enjoy the rewards of doing very little. Forever after.

Dream on, CAT... it's not gonna happen.

Edited by nikster

Of course .IF the cost goes up too much ,then we have an option -satellite provided by Loxley. I did use it for about 3 years and as my memory maybe failing me ,but it was O.K..Had a few problems.Lose connection during very heavy rain( about 30 minutes if rain was heavy enough). One month a year , about 08.00. the Sun ,the satellite and my dish were perfectly aligned, leading to losing the signal for about an hour.One time lightning struck my dish ,blew it to smithereens. Was fixed free of charge.It is sad that no fixed line phones are available. MANY villages here, have 2 public phone lines, which have not worked for years, but TOT refuse to re-allocate them to private subscribers.

Hello All, I went to the CAT office in Korat Wed. to get some info, left

a little more confused.

The girl said that there would be a new modem out the end of the month.

Im' not sure if she was saying that the VW140 modem was going on sale,

or that theres another new one. Maybe more to come??

They are increasing the sales staff, it already looks over staffed, but one of

the wife's family went to BKK last week for testing for the jobs, said they

had a large turn out for the 2 openings.

rice555

info that CAT doesn't post on the VW140

post-37242-0-44370400-1312749595_thumb.j

Hi all. Well i went to the cat office in Ubon Ratchthani today to sign up for cdma and was told they are no longer taking on new subscribers. Also was told i have to wait for the new modems to come out and the new packages should start later in the year. She also said they MIGHT upgrade existing customers who trade in there old modems but no gaurantees.

Hi all. Well i went to the cat office in Ubon Ratchthani today to sign up for cdma and was told they are no longer taking on new subscribers. Also was told i have to wait for the new modems to come out and the new packages should start later in the year. She also said they MIGHT upgrade existing customers who trade in there old modems but no gaurantees.

Sorry you missed the sign up window.

I have been doing a lot of complaining about Cat CDMA for the past 6 months or so but I feel I should in fairness update on the Service. Cat was down for about 15 hours in the Surin-Prasat area on the 5th of this month and after coming back on line it is working much better. Appears something must have been wrong with their repeater/tower and they let it go till it failed or the CME did it in. For whatever reason though my problems seem to be rectified.

Also OP thanks for the potential good news of the upgrade of old customers. Sounds great to me. Hope they carry through.

Hi all. Well i went to the cat office in Ubon Ratchthani today to sign up for cdma and was told they are no longer taking on new subscribers.

That seems like a pretty strong signal for the OP? ;)

At least they're (CAT) being somewhat proactive and honest. Presumably changes are closer in rather than farther out?

My opinion, arrived at by reading between the lines tells me that CAT EVDO CDMA will soon be history. CAT refused to buy Hutchinson. That purchase would have given them coverage for the entire country. If they were planning on continuing the service, they would have jumped at the chance. I do have the service and it has been quite pathetic for the past several months. They no longer even respond to my complaints.

I'm probably a "special customer" since I'm a Mac user, but I faced serious problems over the past weeks.

Apple recently came out with its new operating system (10.7 - Lion) and I made the migration a week after it came out. Very bad decision because Lion runs in 64 bits. So, after the migration I tried to connect with my famous CAT modem (CDU-680) that I paid 10'000 baths 3 years ago.... but impossible to connect. I re-installed the driver unsuccessfully. I decided to visit CAT in Korat, and had really to insist to see a "technician" who after few phone calls to Bangkok told me that CDMA technology was NOT supporting 64 bits. When asking what to do to one of the CAT people in Bangkok, he told me there was no solution and that "I should better look for another provider....". I was even told that CAT was not going to make any effort for MAC users who represent an insignificant part of their customers... (they are very clever in CAT). Furthermore, I understood that FRANKLIN the US based company who provides the modems to CAT was not planning to issue a new driver supporting 64 bits for CAT.

In other words, I had to re-install my old operating system in order to connect again to internet.

This means that CAT is NOT upgrading its materials and that's looks quite gloomy. For this reason I would personally NOT recommend anyone to engage with CAT now as you may buy an equipment that is going to be operational for very little time.

For those who are lucky to be in AIS or TRUE 3G range you should definitely choose this solution that represents a better future than CDMA and CAT

I'm probably a "special customer" since I'm a Mac user, but I faced serious problems over the past weeks.

Apple recently came out with its new operating system (10.7 - Lion) and I made the migration a week after it came out. Very bad decision because Lion runs in 64 bits. So, after the migration I tried to connect with my famous CAT modem (CDU-680) that I paid 10'000 baths 3 years ago.... but impossible to connect. I re-installed the driver unsuccessfully. I decided to visit CAT in Korat, and had really to insist to see a "technician" who after few phone calls to Bangkok told me that CDMA technology was NOT supporting 64 bits. When asking what to do to one of the CAT people in Bangkok, he told me there was no solution and that "I should better look for another provider....". I was even told that CAT was not going to make any effort for MAC users who represent an insignificant part of their customers... (they are very clever in CAT). Furthermore, I understood that FRANKLIN the US based company who provides the modems to CAT was not planning to issue a new driver supporting 64 bits for CAT.

In other words, I had to re-install my old operating system in order to connect again to internet.

This means that CAT is NOT upgrading its materials and that's looks quite gloomy. For this reason I would personally NOT recommend anyone to engage with CAT now as you may buy an equipment that is going to be operational for very little time.

For those who are lucky to be in AIS or TRUE 3G range you should definitely choose this solution that represents a better future than CDMA and CAT

Sorry ,I am not a tech. person, cannot understand it all. But I have Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760Which says Macs can use it.It adds OvationMC760 driver installer for Mac makes configurationQuick and Easy.Does that make any sense to you?

Sorry ,I am not a tech. person, cannot understand it all. But I have Novatel Wireless Ovation MC760Which says Macs can use it.It adds OvationMC760 driver installer for Mac makes configurationQuick and Easy.Does that make any sense to you?

Well the answer is : NO.

My MAC worked well with CDMA/CAT technology until the MAC operating system changed. And since CAT/FRANKLIN have decided not to upgrade the driver (or the technology) it seems to me they are not looking at the future. And I would underline again that CAT itself advised me to "look for another provider". That says all.

Actually Mac OS X since tiger or snow was always 64 bit, but they had 32 bit support for backwards compability. It seems they have removed 32 bit engine to force 64 bit for the future. If your 3G Usb device is supported by 3G supported wireless routers, you can try them. It is also possible to convert an old pc into wireless router with your current device.

Actually Mac OS X since tiger or snow was always 64 bit, but they had 32 bit support for backwards compability. It seems they have removed 32 bit engine to force 64 bit for the future. If your 3G Usb device is supported by 3G supported wireless routers, you can try them. It is also possible to convert an old pc into wireless router with your current device.

What you say is very correct, but I should underline that at CAT office we tried all their devices unsuccessfully. Anyway the real problem is that they have no updated drivers available.... and - not to be too critical - today no-one wants to invest anymore in CDMA, except in the US....

Since the village I live in is just at the limit of AIS 3G coverage, I will make a try with their device, but I believe that the race on 3G is now on and I may wait a little before choosing my new provider. In the meantime I'm very sadly forced to keep Snow Leopard and use CAT as a provider.

Again, I'm fully convinced - and few posts in this forum are confirming it - that CAT is not far from loosing the market. Moreover they lack competent staff able to provide REAL support.

Should be no problem I live in Ban Kruat, .There are about 6 of us using CAT CDMA,in Ban Kruat, still getting our monthly bill. Possibly ,the interest will be IF and WHEN they actually get around to rolling it out. My advice would be to go to the CAT office in Buriram, and ask them. the man who works in the office has pretty good English. None of us has had any communication from CAT.

The 3G network replaced the CDMA in Australia. The thing was the CDMA was much better for rural areas simillar to the areas of North East Thailand and it all sounds too familliar. First 3 G comes then CDMA signals die funny how that happens.

Love to know the outcome now looking into buying the gear you recommended in another post

Oh by the way do you know the frequency used by mobile usb modems, have some interesting antennas available but dont know the freqs

Hello All, have you looked at the Huawei site for drivers??????

CAT/Franklin do not make the drivers for Huawei modems!

Check out google for Mac/Huawei driver modem problems

with OS 10.7.

"Can CAT tell you coverage areas for AIS 3G and if so what

equipment is needed if no phone line available"

CAT can't tell you where it's own coverage is, how can they

tell you where AIS's coverage is?

rice555

Hi

I just spotted this on how to boot Lion into 32bit mode ....

z2.png

Link .1

not too sure if it works / helps - as I'm staying with Leopard for now :)

Hi again !

Well looking at the recent posts I see that I'm not the only one to be a little worry about this issue. I'd just like to bring some little complement of information

Yes it is true that 3G/4G is replacing CDMA in many contexts. In Europe they only use 3/4G and it works well. As far as I understand there are no drivers for CDMA in 64 bits. Maybe I'm wrong. And finally the idea of restarting my computer in 32 bits is a good idea. I never thought it was possible. With Snow Leopard I knew I could start my computer in pressing the "6" and "4" keys... but never thought it could work the other way around.... But, has anyone tried to to run Lion in 32 bits ? It looks quite strange and, frankly, why should I use an OS with all applications programmed to work in 64 bits ? And now I have return to Snow Leopard because of CAT. I'm just waiting the time I will be able to go back to Lion

Still, I really do not understand why powerful providers like CAT have not even tried to anticipate this issue. Amazing.

I forgot

Yes, AIS, in its office at the Mall in Nakhon Ratchasima, is displaying a number of maps showing the 3G coverage in the area. Why a company should not be able to tell you where it "sells" 3G ?

meant to post this in this thread...

I was looking for information, not about CAT CDMA, but did find this article from March 2011 which seems to indicate a requirement for supporting CAT CDMA customers "for two years". That might run from Dec/Jan as this is when the deal closed.

As reported by the Bangkok Post, Mr Suphachai said the introduction of True Move H on the 850MHz band would offer an alternative, advanced service for the existing 800,000 or so Hutch CDMA users. Customers wishing to stay with the provider will have two years in which to migrate to the HSPA network, and can retain their old mobile numbers. However, they will need to buy new handsets which the company plans to offer at ‘affordable prices’ in a special campaign. The True-CAT contract says True must serve CDMA customers for two years before shifting to the HSPA platform. ‘Our HSPA network is expected to accommodate up to one million subscribers within the first year of operations,’ Mr Suphachai said, adding that the network would have a capacity for 100,000 mobile phone numbers at the first stage.

So worst case, December, 2012, which is a lot longer than my previous "doomsday" prediction of December, 2011.

Well, I figured out that I'm not that far from CDMA tower in Ban Kruat (Village is Bueng Charoen, Near that Rubber factory).

By car, it takes 9.4 km from village however by point to point look it should be around 8Km distance from the tower.

I wonder if I can signup pre-paid / post-paid cat cdma nowadays? I just returned to Bangkok and lost the chance to visit them.

• 7 months later...

I did notice this bullet point on the True Q4/FY 2011 Analyst presentation from 1 March 2012:

2012 Targets & Key Initiatives

Launch 3G+ Net SIM campaign; roll out 13,500 3G+ towers nationwide

(8,000 tambons in 77 provinces); 4 mn subscribers at TrueMove H

Migrate TrueMove premium subscribers to TrueMove H; terminate

TrueMove 3G trial

Migrate subscribers and shut down Hutch by mid 2012

My computer is a 64 bit but it is a windows computer with Win 7 and my CDMA CCU 680 works fine. Actually when I went to 64 bit, I never gave it a thought. I guess I was just lucky.