Itinerary - Koh Chang Mid September

elektrified

Hi everyone, we are traveling to Koh Chang in mid-September for 6 days. I'm just trying to get a plan in order where to go and what to see. I've done some reading on http://iamkohchang.com/ (great website!). There is a lot to digest as it's a big island. We will be traveling with my 2 year old son. I'm thinking maybe the first couple of days at (North) White Sands Beach? As I understand it White Sands is the best place for swimming (not too rough tide for children) and the best nightlife (for me :D ). Then I'd like to try another more remote beach on the Island for a night or 2.

Questions:

Can anyone make a recommendation for a place to stay in North White Sands Beach as close to the beach as possible? Possibly with swimming pool as well? Mid September is low season. Is it realistic to find something in the 1000-1200 range?

What other nice (more remote) beach do you recommend for a day or two? Lonely Beach? Kaibae? What about Hat Yao?

What about a day trip to some of the other Islands close by?

Thanks for everyone's help so far.

Koh Chang is not a large island. Easy to drive from top to bottom in less than an hour, even less if coming from White Sand beach. The roads are pretty dangerous for scooters, especially if it has been raining. September is right in the middle of the rainy season. We went in late August 2 years ago and it rained every day. :(

I've heard the other islands are the way to go. Still have beautiful beaches.

It's low season for sure. Should be no problem to get a great room for 1000B or so.

Check this out:

http://tezza-thailandbeachesandislands.blogspot.com/2008/02/ko-chang.html

Koh Chang is not a large island. Easy to drive from top to bottom in less than an hour, even less if coming from White Sand beach. The roads are pretty dangerous for scooters, especially if it has been raining. September is right in the middle of the rainy season. We went in late August 2 years ago and it rained every day. :(

It's low season for sure. Should be no problem to get a great room for 1000B or so.

Check this out:

Many thanks for that Craig (and the link). When you say "the other islands are the way to go.", could you elaborate on that?

Check this out:

Many thanks for that Craig (and the link). When you say "the other islands are the way to go.", could you elaborate on that?

Here's a copy from Tezza's blog:

If you are visiting Chang, perhaps you might be interested in nearby:

KO WAI

KO MAK

KO KUT

At the very bottom, he has links for these islands. They are off the coast and are sparsely populated and still a bit pristine, from what I have heard. One of the mods here visited one of them a few months ago and said it was great.

Also from his blog:

A WORD ABOUT WET SEASON.

The Trat-Chang area is one of the wettest in Thailand particularly in June July August and September which average something like 900mm each month. To put this into perspective, I think London averages 400mm each year. Despite this I have seen a number of posts mentioning ok visits to Chang in wet season, so it looks like you can still rely on some good sunshine between rain showers, but when it rains it REALLY rains. I also notice statistically that the rainy season seems to end a bit earlier here than in the Andaman - November averages are considerably lower. My first visit was in November and saw no rain over about 3 weeks in the area.

Once again heed the warning about often dangerous surf on Chang’s westward facing beaches (nearly all the good ones) in wet season. Note that neat little beach across from the pier on Bang Bao Bay would be nicely sheltered then.

In Koh Chang both June and July were unusually dry and when it did rain it was very light and for shorter periods than normal for this time of year. I'd say both months had as many sunny days as rainy ones. What will August and next month be like? Don't know but even if it rains every day the past two months have been great...

Edited by cloghead

I would be careful about swimming off White Sand Beach, especially for children. There are warnings there about rip currents, and when we were there a few weeks ago, in stormy westerly winds the sea was very rough, some of the breakers big enough to knock an adult off his feet.

Also, I'm sorry to say that I gave up when I noticed the white foam being turned brown by a large slick of what looked very much like sewage. I wouldn't swim there again.

I suspect any room round there at 1000 - 1200 baht would not not be in a place with a swimming pool, but best of luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I stayed at Cliff cottage in Bangbao earlier this year. They have a website www.cliff-cottage.com

Great place to chill out and they have new rooms now. Amazing value and a great place as a base for the other Islands. This resort is quite close to Klong Koi beach and the owner told me that this year they would be offering free transport to the beach daily if needed.

Ask the owner for a discount as he always knocks 10% off for me. Tell him Dave from Korat recommended you to him.

• 2 weeks later...