Feckless Briton Deported From Thailand

webfact

I would have thought that the Thai police would contact the relevant embassy if a foreign national were taken into custody and held (without charges), at the very least just to reduce their burden of housing/feeding another inmate.

The embassy has been aware of his case for some time as has the compassionate farang/British community. Obviously someone came forward to help out, but there's no time when the police have had to provide crowd control to manage those showing up to assist him.

it is also disturbing that the Thai police cannot recognize when psychological and medical treatment are needed.

It's hardly the responsibility of the Thai police to be providing psychological treatment for disturbed farang. Quite aside from the enormity of that undertaking, who exactly would pick up the tab?

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a story of human tragedy and the thread gets turned into a xenophobic, sexist and racist one.

Did you expect any better???

Consider what the story would have been if the circumstances had been different. I can see the Daily Mail headline now - "Tax Payers Money used to fund Sex Tourists holiday in Sin City".

Edited by Orac

More funds for Brits in trouble abroad ! I wouldn't give those lovesick gullible Pom anything or atleast red flag their passport on returning home to the UK. Charge them interest on any rescue funds received as well.

I love it.. only on TV can we see judge, jury and executioner in one fell swoop.

1. 1. If you know nothing about the situation, and are only needing to see your name "in lights on Thaivisa" - shut up
  2. 2. If your comment is based on taking the mickey, also shut up, since your words are meaningless, due to item 1 above.
  3. 3. The one without any stain is the only one qualified to cast the first stone.
  4. 4. Remember - there but for the grace of The Lord Buddha, go you.

..end of annoyed rant aimed at anyone saying anything unhelpful.

... feckless is a state of mind, not a human condition.. so whoever said that was dribbling as well.

Well said "considered Opinion" You have my vote....I suggest that "jalansanitwong" and any other nee'r do wells apply some compassion beyond their own lives and apply a sense of feeling as opposed to their" holy than thou" attitudes.

I suggest they look up the word "Feckless" I do not think it applies in many sad cases of Farangs here in Thailand. I would like to offer a substitute of words....I.e "Vulnerable"....."Misguided"...... "Uninformed" "Rebuilding broken lives" or just looking for peace in their lives. Live and let live!!!

Total shame on people who put others down...we are all here for different reasons.

Quote: "If you look down on someone....make sure it is to help them up"

Now if he was a British Asian then Howard would have pulled strings etc (He'd have been told to) and he'd have been out a lot quicker. It is a very sad fact that as a white male he is a 3rd class citizen according to his own country.

Is it really necessarily to introduce racist shit like this into the thread? No, I didn't think so, either.

Racist shit maybe it is, but also very true, working class white males have become 3rd class citizens of England despite being the ones who have been the soldiers, workers, and main tax payers of the country who have had their salaries undercut by planned MASS immigration by the British elite, who do not have to live next door to these new multi-ethnic "Britons". White English males have lost their rights to females and immigrants, all social engineering by BIG government and their bankster buddies

But it is all NOT real, of course, all the financial games have resulted in massive debt problems, and allowing feminism to control men has almost resulted in the collapse of society and a generation of feral kids

Oh this one is every independent, non English ( I am Scots) womans dream is he not. If he is living in Thailand how does he cope with so many non white people around him.

a very sad case... and one that could happen to anyone who might get slipped a drug in their beer and are wandering the streets in an incoherent drugged state...

Agreed and seconded!

Wish this happening in breadth and width to those who want "the passport red flagged and the rescue cost fully paid back with interest..." after all, those who are struck this badly by destiny, which may have lead to all their undoing, ALL are still humans, most would rescue an animal, but spit on someone who has "fallen from grace", not even knowing why and how, how big an ego can inflate?

it's way too easy to judge someone having one's own rear in the dry and safe!

Oh this one is every independent, non English ( I am Scots) womans dream is he not. If he is living in Thailand how does he cope with so many non white people around him.

I don't know if you were responding to me or the other guy.

I am a white English male living in Thailand married to a Thai wife. In fact we are in England at the moment.

My point was about positive discrimination which is live and well in Britain today. By most sensible peoples charter it's racism in a politer form.

Indigenous people are discriminated against in all sectors so that ethnics are allowed to feel more at home. Churches are being replaced by Mosques. Social housing goes to immigrants with 12 kids before going to a young British couple trying to get a start in life.

You can have Gay pride but not straight pride. You have the Mobo's Music of Black origin but can't have MOWO's the list goes on.

I am a firm believer in if someone can provide for a society then they should be welcomed.

This guy however fell off the wagon for a short time he is in Thailand and under basic human rights Thailand should have afforded him basic decency as a Thai would have had in Britain. A Thai would also have had free access to Psychiatric treatment regular meals and a safe roof over his head. The question of money would only have been a request to the Thai gov't to pay after treatment.

My post was not racist it only pointed out the inequalities still in supposed civilised society.

The man's been treated badly by the Thais and, possibly, by his embassy, though without seeing something slightly better than Andrew Drummond, it's hard to be sure. However, I wouldn't be so quick to condemn the Thai police for their lack of insight into mental health problems; they're bad but increasingly prisons in Britain and America are used to house the mentally ill. In both countries, and others besides, the mentally ill are incarcerated at a rate vastly above that of the general population - it's a general problem, not a Thai one.

babababoa,........ we all have human rights .......... you seriously comparing how this guy was treated here to how he would be treated in the uk ??? ,........sounds like you need locking up, god help anyone under your supervision if you were given any power in authourity !

More funds for Brits in trouble abroad ! I wouldn't give those lovesick gullible Pom anything or atleast red flag their passport on returning home to the UK. Charge them interest on any rescue funds received as well.

Get a life ...and look how many other poor Farangs endure so many problems...including your own country and many others. You are obviously a person without compassion and look down on others. How about .."There but for the grace of God go I".

Don't post any thing unless you wish to be constructive...and not destructive ...there are too many of your type in Thailand and especially on Thai Visa.!!!

Amazing that your country is run by an egotistical Feminist Welsh woman? That says everything. Can't you find one of your own to run the country?

Hear bloody hear...

Can't you find one of your own to run the country?

He's actually pretty busy organising a BBQ and piss up at present and cant be contacted.

yeah,.... send em all to the words biggest open air prison.............australia !! :cheesy:

Maybe it will happen to you one day will you be so smug then somehow I dont think so shame on you

Get a life ...and look how many other poor Farangs endure so many problems...including your own country and many others. You are obviously a person without compassion and look down on others. How about .."There but for the grace of God go I".

Don't post any thing unless you wish to be constructive...and not destructive ...there are too many of your type in Thailand and especially on Thai Visa.!!!

Amazing that your country is run by an egotistical Feminist Welsh woman? That says everything. Can't you find one of your own to run the country?

Hear bloody hear...

Can't you find one of your own to run the country?

He's actually pretty busy organising a BBQ and piss up at present and cant be contacted.

Amazing Thailand or should I say Amazing critical ex pats, who are too ready to condemn those less fortunate than themselves.....Just totally sickened by judgmental people on those down on luck in their lives...For pity's sake!!!! GET REAL !!!!

GIVE EVERYONE A SECOND / third/fourth/fifth ( it does not matter how many times) CHANCES IN LIFE...WE ALL MAKE MISTAKES AND ERRORS OF JUDGEMENT BASED UPON OUR DAILY CIRCUMSTANCES AND PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES THAT WE ALL LIVE WITH.

i would not give fa to all you aussies either,i hope the guy gets home sells his story to the gutter press over there

makes even more money than has left from his will and shames the uk embassey and the worthless service mr howard gave the poor guy,i remember howard from many years ago selling t-shirts in the clubs in pattaya,to super cop,now counslar what a joke even worse than mr asif ahmed what a loverly english name.

thank god for people like tracy

well said myfriendu; could'nt agree more, seems the thais got something "over" the brits ,....... if it was'nt for that recent documentary on tv last year 95% of brits would think thailand was all sweetness and light , why are the desperate plights of so many brits here competely ignored by the press ? , posh n' becks and jordan more important i guess !

I am assuming my post are not the only one being removed on this disturbing story.

can sombody confirm that the British Embassy did something to help this man.

The nastiest soi dog should not have been treated this way.

Thank god for the woman that saved him. This poor bastard would have starved to death chained to jail bars.

I am not a Brit, but that does not matter, this could happen to anybody.

If I ever go back to Pattaya, I will not be there long and I will not be doing anything to get myself in this position.

here here , uk consulars bow your heads in shame ,........ very irresposible behaviour !

Edited by osiboy

Mr Asif Ahmad is a perfectly acceptable name these days for a Brit to possess. In the spirit of Ramadan, peace and tranquility to all my Muslim friends, and to all others especially the Feckless Brit who hopefully is now safe in his home country

[i do not expect Thai police (or indeed any police officer in any police force in the world) to be a trained mental health worker. So I can forgive the police for not knowing that this chap had a mental health problem. On the other hand, even a cursury glance at Mr Drummonds photo's tells me that this prisoner had been phsically abused. Not receiving adequate food, maybe water?, being the most obvious. Apparently, the other prisoners were stealing his food. The presence of Thai police handcuffs around his wrists certainly helped that!

Once the Thai police saw that this man could not adequately feed or tend to himself, they should clearly have been put on alert and provided him with special phisical and, if thought necessary, mental care. Basics init.

As for the consular people, depends when they became aware of the situation. But from the time the Thai police made them aware, this man became their responsibility. It seems fairly obvious why they told him not to talk about his condition when repatriated, the sory would make them look BAD!

We had a Canadian teacher go bonkers, and had to have him institutionalized. When parents would not come retrieve him, we contacted the Canadian embassy. they told us that there was nothing that they would or could do for him as well, very clear that he was in no way their problem. Eventually we had him heavily sedated, and put him on a plane to Toronto.

I don't know why you are being aggressive to the English, the warmest and most welcoming people i have met so far, and i am Aussie born and bred.

Maybe this 'feckless' guy is a jerk who knows? but go to Japan and see what the people over there think of Aussies because they only seem to meet the loud mouthed drunks over there, maybe a little like you, who knows?

But i certainly would not like people on this site to judge me form YOUR actions here.

LONG LIVE THE ENGLISH!!!

This may be a bit off-topic, but do I understand it right, that the British Ambassador in Thailand is someone with the name: Asif Ahmad?

Is the UK at the point now, that they have to hire foreigners to do their filthy jobs abroad?

I thought that Holland was the worst, but this!

Asif Ahmad. Born and educated in the UK. His less than illustrious predecessor who went by the impeccably British moniker of Quinton Quayle wasn't exactly mourned by many here on TV when he departed I seem to recall. What's in a name ?

My link

errr,...heritage , culture , religion usually, were'nt abhisit and the london bombers also born and educated in the the uk ??........ it looks like pc is working overtime , everytime i look at BBC world i mistake it for channel news asia ! ,.......... there, ive said it , now call me racist ! , if this feckles brit had been asian/brit he would be home in slough weeks ago.

curious

where were the grounds for his deportation ?

Visa Overstay apparently - more info and confusing press stories in ADs report here:

http://www.andrew-dr...her.php?sid=103

In all fairness to our current British Ambassador he only arrived in Bangkok in November 2010 so how much involvement he had in this is unclear.

An unofficial part of his punishment was that he had to survive and support himself for eight months in Thailand in the country’s antiquated legal system on a charge of overstaying his visa. Fortunately he was allowed bail. Two weeks ago he was fined the equivalent of £50 and ordered to be deported.

This is a bunch of BS. He could have left any time he wanted while on bail and could have done so legally. People are only jailed for overstaying their visa until they can afford a ticket out of the country. He was free on bail and could have left anytime. If not having a passport was an issue then he could have easily got a new one. This guy OBVIOUSLY didn't want to go home.

This guy makes farangs look bad. He fell so into illegal drugs and booze that caused him to be arrested in the first place and be out of his mind while incarcerated. In a previous article the OP indicated this guy had "millions of Thai Baht" in the bank.The older article also says he had retained a lawyer which sounds fishy to me given the above quote. Not to mention the other article says he already had a ticket home. Also should be noted the police first took him to a hospital before looking him up. See: http://www.andrew-dr...ther.php?sid=73

Bottom line is this guys has issues and is responsible for his fate. IMO, It is just silly to act as though he was some sort of victim. Yes, the police could have done more/better as could have the embassy (who refused to help when initially contacted) but if you come to Thailand and do bad and have been here on and off for 12-years (as this guy has) then you know the jails, laws and process here are very different. Thailand is not Briton and somebody coming here 12-years, knows this.

Edit: I believe he spent less than two weeks in jail and not only was initially sent to a hospital but then also to a mental health facility before being taken to jail.

Keep in mind the police didn't put him with other prisoners and am pretty sure the inmate removed his own cloths based on the photo showing bedding in the cell. Not sure about the UK but it is not at all uncommon for inmates in the US to be stripped of cloths and put in some kind of restraint if they pose a danger to themselves. Being in jail is never a good thing .. it is why most of try to stay clear of breaking the law ... especially in a developing nation.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset, use default forum font when posting.

Quote : " He said before his departure that he had been asked by British Embassy officials not to talk to the media about his plight."

Of course the British Embassy do not want him to talk to the media because it will show just how incompetent they really are !!!

The employees ( both Thai and British ) at the embassy are afraid of losing their cushy jobs.

We all know the British Embassy is only interested in protecting business interests of British companies, they are not interested in the little people who provide the real wealth of Thailand.

Where would Thailand be if no sex trade or tourism ?

It is the same story in every country I have lived in.

If you get into trouble you are on your own !! Do not rely on the Embassy because they are too busy enjoying their lavish lifestyles to get involved in anything controversial.

If he spoke to the media I wonder how many tens of thousands of people would cancel their visits here which would result in lost millions for the Thais.

Mr Asif Ahmad is a perfectly acceptable name these days for a Brit to possess. In the spirit of Ramadan, peace and tranquility to all my Muslim friends, and to all others especially the Feckless Brit who hopefully is now safe in his home country

Does this mean Thai person can no longer call British person "Farang"?

That would really take the "Kairk"

a very sad case... and one that could happen to anyone who might get slipped a drug in their beer and are wandering the streets in an incoherent drugged state...

Yes....and just how does the new British Ambassador to Thailand_ Asif Ahmad_ tell whether someone is feckless or has had a drug put in his drink ?

Uhmmm...how long do you guys imagine the effects of these sorts of drugs (ones that cause Farangs to wander around Pattaya in such a state) last?

Quote : " He said before his departure that he had been asked by British Embassy officials not to talk to the media about his plight."

Of course the British Embassy do not want him to talk to the media because it will show just how incompetent they really are !!!

The employees ( both Thai and British ) at the embassy are afraid of losing their cushy jobs.

We all know the British Embassy is only interested in protecting business interests of British companies, they are not interested in the little people who provide the real wealth of Thailand.

If you get into trouble you are on your own !! Do not rely on the Embassy because they are too busy enjoying their lavish lifestyles to get involved in anything controversial.

If he spoke to the media I wonder how many tens of thousands of people would cancel their visits here which would result in lost millions for the Thais.

My guess is they don't want him to talk is because he probably is still a bit looney.

My guess is they don't want him to talk is because he probably is still a bit looney.

Aren't we all who live here ? ha ha ha blink.gif

A post has been removed due to possible violation of copyright and non compliance of fair use. It is generally accepted, but not written into law, that quoting the first two or three sentences of an article and giving a link to the source is considered “fair use” and not a violation of copyright.

This story sprang up last November when I think he'd already been in jail for sometime.

However, it said that he'd not been charged at that time, or he'd not been brought to court yet.

In Thai law a person must be charged after 7 days. An extension of another 7 days is permissable in some circumstances and only terrorism or les majeste is unspecified, however, he wasn't suspected of these.

What was the embassy doing while this man was in jail rotting away without charge, without hospital treatment or waiting for a drawn out court case for a minor offence which I understand was along the lines of behaving like a beggar? Why couldn't they lodge a complaint with the Foreign ministry, Interior ministry and human rights groups?

I would say that the British Embassy in Thailand is probably one of the worst in terms of helping its citizens. They actually prefer to help the Thai police and support their unfair treatments.

You really should distinguish between the Embassy / Ambassador - who represents the British Government to whichever host government they are sent to - and the Consulate(s) who carry out the day-to-day relationships between citizens of the host country and provide British citizens with necessary assistance.

The two main duties of consular officials - visa application approval and assisting distressed nationals of their own country - are often contentious and are the focus of the man-in-the-street.

Ambassadorial duties are on a government-to-government basis and are conducted in a totally different way to consular actions. In most countries now Britain seems to have sub-contracted the consular duties to private companies (or at least one private company). For instance, here in Vietnam I cannot renew my passport any longer - I have to go to Hong Kong. Must be because it's a more pleasant life for the HM Government consular staff in Honkers. Watch out in Thailand - you may be next! And don't send passports by post or courier - too likely to get lost.

You do not have to go to Hong Kong. You send your passport via DHL. The British Embassy have negotiated a preferential rate with DHL for sending passports from Vietnam to Hong Kong. I've never been to a consulate of Embassy to pick up a new passport and never lost one in the post or by courier.

Don't you think you're over-dramatising a little?