Thai Wife'S Statement For Aussie Partner Visa

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Final throws of completing my wife's partner visa and I'm reviewing what we've put together (should have it finished today or tomorrow - yay!!)

But in doing her statement I'm not sure how much 'editing' I should do. For most of her family before I have simply done something in English, she has verbally translated it for them and they've signed it. With my wife's statement I did initially write it, but then I thought I'd get her to do it in her words totally - no prompting from me. Once she did that I went through and told her to add more stuff here and there to get it across the line. But I am not sure how much I should "correct" it.

Whilst my wife speaks English to a more than socially acceptable level, when it comes to articulating her words in written English, she does fall somewhat short.

I don't want to submit a statement that looks like it has come from a 5 year old, but by the same token I don't want to reword it in my English. What sort of a level is acceptable? Regardless of how much editing I do it is still her statement, she would both sign and understand it.

I feel that if the English is too good, they might not like it. I feel that if it is too infantile, again, they might not like it. Should I am for somewhere in between? That feels more false (ie, it's not her words, or mine, but a mish-mash)

Thoughts?

After giving the missus a outline of what it should contain, I left her to do it. Yes the grammar is wrong in places and yes I could write it much better. But at the end of the day it's how she speaks in english so they'd know come interview time.

After giving the missus a outline of what it should contain, I left her to do it. Yes the grammar is wrong in places and yes I could write it much better. But at the end of the day it's how she speaks in english so they'd know come interview time.

I always approach relationship statements like this. If the case officer handed your wife her relationship statement, could she read it, and secondly, perfectly understand the contents of it? If the answer is no, then I wouldn't be submitting it, as it is not her statement, but your statement that you have done for her. She should understand the contents of her statement completely.

What I have done in the past is this, 1) After the sponsor has done his own statement, have that translated into Thai. The applicant can then use that as a guide to do her own statement (not just copy of course). 2) The applicant would then do her own statement in Thai which would be submitted with an English translation.

Hope this has helped.

It certainly has. Once again great advice from the members of thaivisa. I should reinterate its always what she intended to say, or at least my variation of it. :D

As I mentioned she did do it herself, I just sat her at the computer and said "type". When she asked what she should do i said, "well, start with how we met." She'd write about that and when she got stuck I just prompted her with an idea an off she went again. She actually came up with things I'd long since forgotten about and have since debated putting them in my statement. :)

Thanks again.

And BTW her English is good enough for her to understand this, but I think to make her message clearer I might have her do it in English and thai.

Nothing wrong with her submitting her statement in Thai (as long as it has an English translation). Dont worry about spelling mistakes etc. Substance over form is more important.

Nothing wrong with her submitting her statement in Thai (as long as it has an English translation). Dont worry about spelling mistakes etc. Substance over form is more important.

That's exactly what we've done now, hot off the presses is her revamped statement. Because we had done a lot of work on it together now, I got her to rewrite it in Thai (whilst referring to what she/we had done), and then once she finished I deleted the English version and got her to rewrite it in English using the Thai as the original. You should have seen her face when I initially deleted it. Now it's in her words :) Thanks for the idea

As Bridge states, original in Thai script with a translation in English by a certified translator. Submit both documents with your application. All Thai documents must be translated into English.

This document is most important of them all as it is to do with proving your relationship is genuine.

The original must be in her own words, and she must be aware and responsible for what is contained in that document.

• 2 weeks later...

Does the Relationship statement need to be witnessed, like a stat dec, by someone authorized in Australia, or do you just sign it yourself.

If it needs to be witnessed by an authorized person, who does this for the wifes statement in Thailand?

Thanks

No it's just her statement. Only she has to sign it

I have found most things (copies of birth certificate, never married certificate, the list goes on), only she signs it and put a notation in a covering letter originals will be provided to the case officer at interview.

If you use VFS they will stamp and counter sign on sighting originals (which looks a lot better)

No it's just her statement. Only she has to sign it

I have found most things (copies of birth certificate, never married certificate, the list goes on), only she signs it and put a notation in a covering letter originals will be provided to the case officer at interview.

If you use VFS they will stamp and counter sign on sighting originals (which looks a lot better)

Thanks

Yes I will be using VFS

in which case, she signs her statement, as do yours. They are originals anyway.

Everything else, just take originals with you on the day and VFS (Bangkok) will 'evidence' these for you. She compares original and copy, stamps and signs the documents. All done.