Strong Baht Likely To Spur Foreign Travel

webfact

The Schengen area is made of 25 European countries. Some countries are part of the European Union, but do not belong to the Schengen area. These are the United Kingdom and Ireland. Two other countries, Norway and Iceland, are not part of the European Union, but are part of the Schengen area following a cooperation agreement signed with the Schengen States.

I think your reply is a little out of date, Switzerland is now also in Schengen but not in EC. Interestingly it's micro-state neighbour Liechenstein is NOT yet officially part of Schengen . So theoretically you should have your passport checked at the Liechenstein frontier, but of course this is only problematic for direct air travel from Liechenstein to places outside Schengen . And it DOES have a small heliport

Edited by parmo1

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Thaksin was going to drop the Baht back to 40:$1.

The value of the Baht is market driven (having ended it's tie to the US Dollar (again) in 1997) and the only things that will influence it are interest rates and the state of the Thai economy as a whole. Now considering that the increase in minimum wage and all of those other foolish pledges will push up inflation and consequentially interest rates then the Baht is headed one way and that's to under 30 to the Dollar. Thaksin has precisely ZERO control over this and it is purely down to how Yingluck (mis)manages the economy!!!

She hasn't exactly got off on the right foot either - has she!!!:jap:

thai logic and economics, i guess... keep the baht strong so you get less for your dollars and euros, yahooo...................

Right - and this will continue whilst Yingluck's lot are in office!!!:blink:

The Schengen area is made of 25 European countries. Some countries are part of the European Union, but do not belong to the Schengen area. These are the United Kingdom and Ireland. Two other countries, Norway and Iceland, are not part of the European Union, but are part of the Schengen area following a cooperation agreement signed with the Schengen States.

I think your reply is a little out of date, Switzerland is now also in Schengen but not in EC. Interestingly it's micro-state neighbour Liechenstein is NOT yet officially part of Schengen . So theoretically you should have your passport checked at the Liechenstein frontier

Curious.

We drove into Liechenstein with three Thais, and because I was in the commercial lane while exiting, they stopped the car and took all our passports. The three Thais had no problem. I am not doubting your facts, but I wonder why they did not do something. Maybe because we were leaving?

People seem intent in quoting the US Dollar vs Thai Baht exchange rate, whilst the article is about Europe.

For sure the recent movement in the European Currencies isn't going to be the deciding factor, but vacations of this type are usually planned well in advance, and whilst I don't track the Euro rate, the GBP has gone down from 71 to 48 Baht in the four years since I moved here, that's a decrease of over 32%. So obviously the Baht gets 32% more GBP's, and probably Euros, than it did four years ago, I would suggest that could certainly now be a contributing factor.

In the Philippines, each month Immigration stops thousands of IT'S OWN CITIZENS (mostly female) from leaving the country on the grounds of "anti-traficking laws". To fully comply and leave the country , you must have letter of invitation (notarised by the embassy, 1500 baht), proof of employment, company formation proof, return ticket, proof of adequate funds, proof of stay (hotel receipt). All this is FOR IT'S OWN CITIZENS despite you having a valid visa for travel to the onward country. How do i know ? My Pinay gf was one of the people stopped and i found from the internet that 1000s are stopped each month, it was her first time out of the country. She cried buckets of tears.So did I when i found all the money i spent on flights that was wasted.

Of course, if you think Thailand is corrupt, you have never been to Philippines, i am sure it could all have been solved by a few hundred pesos in the passport.

Philippines also charges it's residents and citizens who have been in country more than 1 year, a "travellers' tax", of 1100 baht, JUST to LEAVE THE COUNTRY !

Thailand will try this, i am sure. It stops innocent travellers from having holidays

Indonesia also has this "exit tax" for nationals

Considering there are over 10 million people living in BKK and who knows how many in Thailand, this is a great story talking about the significance of 1000 thais traveling. Talk about a NON-STORY! :whistling:

Sort of puts it into perspective though. I wonder how many Thais actually have passports.

Dunno, but I suspect that the majority of the passport hoders have Farang partner

Curious.

We drove into Liechenstein with three Thais, and because I was in the commercial lane while exiting, they stopped the car and took all our passports. The three Thais had no problem. I am not doubting your facts, but I wonder why they did not do something. Maybe because we were leaving?

Liechenstein, being so tiny, is a "de facto" member of the Schengen area, i think what happened was that you all crossed from the Austrian side BEFORE Switzerland was in the Schengen area.

Edited by parmo1

Indonesia also has this "exit tax" for nationals

I think what you are refering to is the Indonesis "exit tax". In most countries, this is the tax that is normally paid when you buy the airline ticket . But in some countries you pay it in CASH when you leave the country, New Zealand also has this as well as indonesia.

In Philippines there is ALSO this type of tax payable by ALL travellers IN ADDITION to the travel tax i mentioned. The travel tax is only payable by certain people who have lived in Philippines more than 1 year. they have to pay the travel tax AND the airport EXIT tax, total 1700 Baht

How lovely a company with 290 customers is taken seriously by the Nation. ....... What is this for stupid survey? more than 1000 customers will go from now on..... So what? What has the dollar to do with the UK? Do they pay with dollars in the UK or in Europe??? The Baht to the Euro is 43 last year 38, let's not even compare it to the Swiss Franc. The Nation has a serious problem putting things in perspective and do not seem to be familiar with the big numbers and with a world map.

Of course it is NOT the Thai baht that is strong, it is a non-entity in international banking, It is the US dollar, British Pound and Euro that are WEAK. Western countries have deliberately devalued their own currencies , by using "quantitive easing" to make their debts lower and also it makes western products more competetive .;

QE is a euphemism for cancelling their own debts, wish i could do that

Of course there will be more travellers ging abroad when the Thai Baht buys more

Edited by parmo1

spain, portugal, italy, greece, croatia did the same in the past 20 yrs and tourists moved en mass elsewhere.

it will be the same for thailand, see how many are flocking in vietnam, laos, and cambodia and the only thing they see

in thailand is Suvarnabhumi airport.

airlines are adapting as well, there are now direct flights from europe to Hanoi, Saigon, and Phnom Penh.

Bangkok is no more the "hub" of SE asia, that's Kuala Lumpur eventually and it's cheaper too with air asia and malaysia airlines.

....a stronger Bath is a real disaster for Thai economy.....and they look happy to find it cheaper going overseas......unbelievable......blink.gif

A stronger "Bath" can only be a good thing. It will mean less flooding in bathrooms. :whistling:

Considering there are over 10 million people living in BKK and who knows how many in Thailand, this is a great story talking about the significance of 1000 thais traveling. Talk about a NON-STORY! :whistling:

Sort of puts it into perspective though. I wonder how many Thais actually have passports.

Lots of bar-girls. Heard a good one a while back; Englishman bought a passport for love-of-his-life, took her back to the UK next trip, but stopped at UK Immigration because she had cut a page out of the passport. Had been to Germany with tirak #2 while he was home, didn't want him to know.

oh dear......

The government really need to crack down on this. These Thais are taking money out of the economy and putting it into foreigners hands.

Maybe they could do something at the airport like they do at the bank. You have to prove where your money came from when sending or spending it abroad. If it's money directly from a foreigner then you're allowed to leave. I think they could relax the rule for showing your work permit if you're a national.

I hope this is sarcastic.

Dunno, but I suspect that the majority of the passport hoders have Farang partner

I suspect you spend most of your time in the red light districts

....a stronger Bath is a real disaster for Thai economy.....and they look happy to find it cheaper going overseas......unbelievable......blink.gif

Blame it on Yingluck and Pheu Thai!!! Their irresponsible pre-election policy promises to entice the people to vote for them are anticipated to create inflation. This in turn will lead to interest rate rises which will make the Baht more attractive and hence stronger as their return on bonds and currency transactions will be enhanced.

I am delighted by this as I am expatriating money back to England so get more pounds for my Baht!!! Yipee!!:lol:

This will be the ONLY way in which Khun Yingluck will benefit me though as she will decimate the economy and people's (poor primarily) living standards. The people voted them in so they must bear the repercussions of their foolish act!!!:ermm:

So can we look forward to your imminent departure from Thailand?

Dollar is already on a comeback with the debt crisis avoided (so far anyway)

And besides, when Thais travel they travel with farang so that means more farang going back home doesn't it?

But this story is a non event. Only 1000 Thais wow big deal.

Pheu Thai at work now trying to do more stories on Thai and less on farang.

We all know that Thais are terrible, cheap travelers, so I don't think 1000 Thais traveling overseas will break the Thai Banks.

I just came back from Japan using AUD 1.09+ . who cares about Thais at 29.7? baht.

'Dollar is already on a comeback with the debt crisis avoided (so far anyway).'

Very much depends on whether US has its credit rating downgraded which is still possible even with the deal.

'And besides, when Thais travel they travel with farang so that means more farang going back home doesn't it?'

What about the 1000's of Thai students that travel to US, Australia, UK, etc??

'Pheu Thai at work now trying to do more stories on Thai and less on farang.'

???? Nothing to do with Pheu Thai, it's basically a crudely disguised advertorial promoting football travel packages.

'We all know that Thais are terrible, cheap travelers, so I don't think 1000 Thais traveling overseas will break the Thai Banks.'

All those middle class Thais sporting Harrods bags and bottles of JW Black wandering around Heathrow Airport must be a figment of my imagination then.

Blame it on Yingluck and Pheu Thai!!! Their irresponsible pre-election policy promises to entice the people to vote for them are anticipated to create inflation. This in turn will lead to interest rate rises which will make the Baht more attractive and hence stronger as their return on bonds and currency transactions will be enhanced.

I am delighted by this as I am expatriating money back to England so get more pounds for my Baht!!! Yipee!!:lol:

This will be the ONLY way in which Khun Yingluck will benefit me though as she will decimate the economy and people's (poor primarily) living standards. The people voted them in so they must bear the repercussions of their foolish act!!!:ermm:

Why we ???? Your speaking on behalf of who?? because Sichonsteve speaks the truth and what the disadvantages are better give a good answer than this reply. He is right to point out the facts, but you either agree or give reasons for not agreeing.

I'd be surprised if it's as few as 1000. After all there's the Olympics next year and I expect even the UK's visa dept. will probably issue the competitors visas.

(although I wouldn't be at all surprised to find news stories in the early parts of 2012 about competitors who've had their visas refused. If only because requiring travellers (inc. tourists) to fill in a 10 page document in a foreign language is probably not the most efficient process.

Sorry, but.. for going to Europe, nobody gives a dam_n about the exchange rate THB versus US$, but towards Euro and Pound .

And THB versus Euro is already long time between 41 and 44.

What about the Brazil Real or the Nigerian Niara ?

Sorry, wrong continent.

Why we ???? Your speaking on behalf of who?? because Sichonsteve speaks the truth and what the disadvantages are better give a good answer than this reply. He is right to point out the facts, but you either agree or give reasons for not agreeing.

Title of the thread is "Strong Baht Likely to Spur Foreign Travel".

Why does SS want to hijack it and spout more anti PT stuff? There are already enough threads ongoing for this purpose.