What Are Family’S Thinking When They Travel On A Motorbike.

kenny999

Every day when I am out and about I see Thai familys also some Falang familys riding their motorbikes with either no crash helmets or just one parent wearing one, have these people no thought for their childrens safety? Okay the crash helmets are not very good but a little protection is better than no protection, how would they feel if they crashed leaving their children on the road with head injuries whilst the crash helmet wearer is mostly fine, this is something I find unbelievable here, so what is the reason these people do this??

Remember the Thais are all protected by Buddha, nothing can happen to them. I see it all the time in cars, kids jumping around on the front seat while one of the parents is driving. The other day I saw a woman holding a baby in her arm and driving along a busy road. TIT.

Remember the Thais are all protected by Buddha, nothing can happen to them. I see it all the time in cars, kids jumping around on the front seat while one of the parents is driving. The other day I saw a woman holding a baby in her arm and driving along a busy road. TIT.

I understand that a lot of Thia's regard Buddha as their protector, when they crash leaving their children on the road seriously injured or worse what do they think then? what is the excuse of the Falang family driving their motorbike with there children not wearing crash helmets?

The farangs without helmets and with/without their family riding along....they are generally such good riders with superior riding skillst hat they never have accidents..

at least that's what they tell me whistling.gif

Hopefully a member of a non crash helmet wearing family will enlighten us all as too why they risk their lives and their family's lives doing this.. I for one would like to know the answer!!

The farangs without helmets and with/without their family riding along....they are generally such good riders with superior riding skillst hat they never have accidents..

Hopefully a member of a non crash helmet wearing family will enlighten us all as too why they risk their lives and their family's lives doing this.. I for one would like to know the answer!!

When in Rome do as the Romans do

Saw a farang the other day....him, wife and about a 5 or 6 yo girl on board....no helmets........ijjit.

But then again....there are some western countries that still have no helmet laws right ?? Aren't some states in America such and isn;t Italy one ?? I seem to recall seeing Italians riding around no helmets in movies etc and TV.

When in Rome do as the Romans do

Wow so as a parent you let your children on a motorbike with no protection just because this is what Thai people do, irresponsible to say the least springs to mind!! still it's their responsibility and they would have to live with the consequences, up to them!!

Saw a farang the other day....him, wife and about a 5 or 6 yo girl on board....no helmets........ijjit.

But then again....there are some western countries that still have no helmet laws right ?? Aren't some states in America such and isn;t Italy one ?? I seem to recall seeing Italians riding around no helmets in movies etc and TV.

The question is, why do these people risk their children's well being when they are the most important thing in their lives?

Wow so as a parent you let your children on a motorbike with no protection just because this is what Thai people do, irresponsible to say the least springs to mind!! still it's their responsibility and they would have to live with the consequences, up to them!!

As a parent of two grown up children I made sure there safety came first, but I lived in a country where safety of passengers was taken seriously. Here people see the Thais do it and think it is acceptable. As your last sentence suggests it is up to them what they do, so why are you looking for an answer?

For me I cannot ride a motorcyle, and if I did I would use a helmet, as when I was 15 in England I saw a friend, who was late for work, get on his motorcycle, as he was rushing he did not do the strap up under his chin, whilst riding and trying to do it up he hit the kerb with his front tyre, as he was falling the helmet flew off his head, still not done up, his head hit the kerb and smashed open, it was not a pretty sight.

I remember the programs in Germany years ago about Road Safety, the Thais would do well to buy them and reproduce them in Thai, but it will never ever happen.

Edited by beano2274

Hey Kenny. With nearly 900 posts under your belt I'm surprised that you find this unbelievable.

You must know that LOS and it's people are really not too concerned about safety. Helmet enforcement and driving in general, workplace safety, not to even mention rural accidents and pesticide exposure. This is all typical of a developing nation.

As an Aussie who is rising 50 I recall Mum and Dad's first car having no belts, then front lap things, next had a sort of bassinet you could strap in the back for baby bro'. Now we've got a minimum of eleventeen airbags. No such thing as a workplace 'accident'' - someone's responsible. Even compulsory helmets on bicycles!

Safety is evolving in Thailand. I notice more and more cities becoming strict helmet zones, New signs saying 100% enforcement. I recently saw the police outside the high school in Sukhothai booking kids without helmets. These are steps in the right direction, albeit little steps. I commend these efforts. Gotta get awareness, especially in the kids. Attrition will take care of the unchangeable generation. If they think it's up to Buddha so be it.

Frustrating yes - unbelievable no.

We can make a small difference by encouraging and setting a good example.

As a PS... Couple of months ago spoke to a nieghbour riding past my gate on her way to collect her daughter and new baby from hospital 60 rural kilometres away! If I had not been there with the only 4-wheeled vehicle ( 'thai na' excepted!) she'd have realistically had no other choice than to do it on the trusty old Honda Dream..

As a parent of two grown up children I made sure there safety came first, but I lived in a country where safety of passengers was taken seriously. Here people see the Thais do it and think it is acceptable. As your last sentence suggests it is up to them what they do, so why are you looking for an answer?

For me I cannot ride a motorcyle, and if I did I would use a helmet, as when I was 15 in England I saw a friend, who was late for work, get on his motorcycle, as he was rushing he did not do the strap up under his chin, whilst riding and trying to do it up he hit the kerb with his front tyre, as he was falling the helmet flew off his head, still not done up, his head hit the kerb and smashed open, it was not a pretty sight.

I remember the programs in Germany years ago about Road Safety, the Thais would do well to buy them and reproduce them in Thai, but it will never ever happen.

I just want to understand the mentality of these people, in my previous job I saw many people including children killed in road accidents I would rather not have to see that again if at all possible, if you love your children why would you not do everything to protect them? any way at the end of the day it is up to them, it makes me sad to think what might happen and how these people will feel after they lose a family member or member's.

Hey Kenny. With nearly 900 posts under your belt I'm surprised that you find this unbelievable.

You must know that LOS and it's people are really not too concerned about safety. Helmet enforcement and driving in general, workplace safety, not to even mention rural accidents and pesticide exposure. This is all typical of a developing nation.

As an Aussie who is rising 50 I recall Mum and Dad's first car having no belts, then front lap things, next had a sort of bassinet you could strap in the back for baby bro'. Now we've got a minimum of eleventeen airbags. No such thing as a workplace 'accident'' - someone's responsible. Even compulsory helmets on bicycles!

Safety is evolving in Thailand. I notice more and more cities becoming strict helmet zones, New signs saying 100% enforcement. I recently saw the police outside the high school in Sukhothai booking kids without helmets. These are steps in the right direction, albeit little steps. I commend these efforts. Gotta get awareness, especially in the kids. Attrition will take care of the unchangeable generation. If they think it's up to Buddha so be it.

Frustrating yes - unbelievable no.

We can make a small difference by encouraging and setting a good example.

As a PS... Couple of months ago spoke to a nieghbour riding past my gate on her way to collect her daughter and new baby from hospital 60 rural kilometres away! If I had not been there with the only 4-wheeled vehicle ( 'thai na' excepted!) she'd have realistically had no other choice than to do it on the trusty old Honda Dream..

True nearly 900 posts and yes I think Thailand is a special place where you can do virtually any thing, road safety and the non wearing of helmets is something I have always felt strongly about, all of a sudden I thought I should post something about this subject, hopefully some people will realize how irresponsible it is to allow children on a bike without protection. rant over safe driving to all..

It is sad, here in Thailand I saw a young motorcyclist get hit and then run over by a bus, people just drove on. The mentality is different when people come here, they forget all the rules and regulation they have to put up with in their own countries and see the Thais do it, so they think it is acceptable.

As another poster said, it is all about education, I am one for putting programs on the TV showing accidents, using stunt men or dummies to show what can happen, then going to live pictures of people who have died from accidents, force it into them.

Edited by beano2274

True nearly 900 posts and yes I think Thailand is a special place where you can do virtually any thing, road safety and the non wearing of helmets is something I have always felt strongly about, all of a sudden I thought I should post something about this subject, hopefully some people will realize how irresponsible it is to allow children on a bike without protection. rant over safe driving to all..

G'donya mate.

I thought you rant was pretty tame. You didn't mention talking on phone while riding, pillions side-saddle, saving fuel by one bike pushing another, removing suspension in front to 'lower', replacing wheels and tyres with ones that should be on bicycles, riding wrong side of the road (guilty), mixing riding with lao kow rice whisky (not guilty)... the list goes on.

Think we should choose a shirt colour and do a proper Thai style rant.

Hey! What about the overloaded pick-ups...

Toilet roll holder placed right where the shower is aimed...

Edit - Stuffed up the quote thing - sorry.

Edited by andrew55

THis is such a blinkered and prejudiced viewpoint - I'm surprised that it is taken seriously by some.

RCs put St Christopher in their cars, all over the world you'll see fetishes and icon on motor vehicles, but in the end people know that their "god" helps them who help themselves.

Maybe they are thinking - thankfully we can finally afford a motorbike and no longer have to walk everywhere

Very true and they want to show off their new prize possession, and if they wore helmets then no-one would

recognise them!!!!!!!!

THis is such a blinkered and prejudiced viewpoint - I'm surprised that it is taken seriously by some.

RCs put St Christopher in their cars, all over the world you'll see fetishes and icon on motor vehicles, but in the end people know that their "god" helps them who help themselves.

ever heard of sarcasm!!!!!

Funny observation mate, the same applies to the Ferang Truckies here.

At the risk of sounding blinkered and predjudiced I continue.

Know a 20yo nephew of my wife. 2-up on a bike, drunk, run a red light, in front of a bus... outcome thus far has been 3 years unable to walk or talk and an unbelievable drain on those around him. His family brought a 'special' monk to the intersection. This community leader discovered that the accident was nothing to do with the lack of caution of the bike or bus. A ghost who hung out at this spot wanted this lad to join him. Every body had known this deep down anyway. I've been around funerals for deceased riders where everyone gets sh%t-faced drunk and then stagger to their scooters to ride home helmetless with Ma Yai (also a bit tipsy) sitting side-saddle on the back holding all the bowls and pots and a couple of durians she pinched.. They know with so many monks about they are perfectly safe from any misfortune. Thank God for Buddha.

Can't do anything about plain and simple bad luck.

Now that's sarcasm I believe.

I saw a guy the other day, he looked in his 20's, driving a motorbike with one hand, and a baby of probably 2 or 3 months in his other arm.

Made me feel sick to see it; just imagining how much chance that baby would have in any kind of accident.

In the past 12 months there has been 3 fatalites with in 1 monute of our house that I have seen. Though I always wear a helmet (an have 6 for different kinds of riding) I am always fighting with the wife to wear one and insist on the daughter wearing one too. She says "we are only going near by" Though most accidents are near by ones home. And I am always happy to buy what ever helmet they want as often as they want, no questions asked.

Clearly I think this will be an issue for a long time untill they are better educated about accidents and protection too

However it doesn't help to see all the police with out helmets riding around looking for others without helmet to give a ticket to !

I don't understand what you are all worrying about it's only a plastic bucket offering no protection. Have you seen anyone wearing a proper certifed helmet yes I know you will say 1 or 2.

Anything is better than nothing . . .

And yes some helmets are better than others.

Mine are Snell approved from the states. And many big bike shops here do have good imports at a price

It looks like your comments are all sarcastic - I'm sure this isn't in place of trying to understand the situation and putting forward a coherent opinion......

and I'm equally sure that you aren't implying that Thai people are more stupid than yourself........

Edited by Deeral

:lol: :lol: I thought this was a motor forum, so they have been joined up again.:D

post-87530-0-70510500-1312357083_thumb.j

Why do we do it because we can.:jap:

Hey! Shouldn't you be wearing a seat belt buddy??

Nice one !! Spoken like someone with a sense of humour to a situation in Thailand that fa-rangs living in Thailand should keep there noses out of.

Edited by Kwasaki