Good Restaurant For A Birthday Dinner

ctrunfree

Wondering if anyone could suggest a good place for a memorable birthday dinner, just for two. Have previously enjoyed the Chedi and House a few times, but ready for something different. Budget flexible, but nice ambience essential! Open to suggestions as to cuisine, although a slight preference for Thai.

I went to the new (well for me) Riverside for the first time on Saturday night, I was lucky and managed to get a table in the court yard round that back and it was really nice. The food was good and not expensive, I had western and the Mrs and Daughter had Thai, for 3 of us including a few beers it was less that 1200thb. I think you can book a table for outside in advance. Saying that with this weather at the moment it may be preferable to go inside.

Really don't know what you are looking for but if you have used the Chedi I am guessing price is not the major concern. You might try the La Meridian in the Night Bazaar. The only things I have ever heard about it have all been favorable.

Where ever you decide enjoy it to the max There came a time for me when They were not memorial just O no a year older.LOL

Edited by hellodolly

If you want something different, try Butter is Better. It has a 50's malt-shop ambiance and has fabulous food. It just started being open for dinner yesterday and has new menu items. I had the shrimp cocktail and meatloaf (I know meatloaf sounds boring, but it was fantastic!). Not to mention that Butter is Better is known for their deserts, which is a big part of a birthday celebration for me. Trust me, you will not be disappointed.

Chez Marco on Loi Kroh is good for steak, perhaps a little noisey though. Might be quieter during the week?

Thajeen Chuan Chom (?sp) is a great seafood restaurant up behind Wat Jed Yod. Lovely garden area, but the chances of them letting you sit outside the way the weather is now are about slim-to-none.

Mix on Nimman Soi 1 is rather nice too - Thai/Chinese/Farang cuisine available.

Another option - perhaps not so fancy but still good Thai and Western food and live band is

'The Banana Tree'

Address: Irrigation Canal Rd. going towards Chiang Mai before , what used to be, Best Western Hotel

Time Open: 4:00 pm - 12:00 am

Telephone: 081 9529899

If you want something different, and a real classic but smart Northern Thai experience try "Ruen Come In". Hidden away near Jet Yot, this place is inside a stunningly beautiful teak house, popular with the hi-so Thai set but seems to be relatively unknown by most Farang. see: www.ruencomein.com

It's located on Sirithron Rd, just off the Superhighway, inside superhighway before Jet Jot intersection when heading towards Nimanheminda.

villa1_enlarge.jpg

I second the Thai restauraunt at the Mandarin Oriental.

I tried the French restaurant at Oriental ... we were alone, 4 people, and it looks great (and perfect food) but it can be a little depressing as the room is so big and you can feel just "lonely" if you are 2 people. I am just speaking about the ambiance, not to be alone with your lover. But the place, the garden, everything looks magic ! A real dream ...

Philippe

Baan Wang Tan Hang Dong Rd Lake side, very nice

Khao Mao Khao Fang between Hang dong rd and Canal Rd - very nice

tropical forest space feel, also lake side.

Huan Soonatree - Riverside (west bank) just north of the Super highway

all northern Thai food places, all nice

David

"Huan Soonatree - Riverside (west bank) just north of the Super highway"

Probably my most favourite restaurant in CM for taking visitors and special occasions, reasonably priced and nicely decorated, nice ambience....but the food (Thai) is excellent IMO.....get one of the sit on the floor style tables in the balcony area. Perfect for a romantic occasion for two!

Here: http://maps.google.c...fe=off&t=h&z=19

or the one with all the flowers next to the reservoir, again nice....don't know the name

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=18.793111,98.945532&spn=0.001374,0.002642&sll=18.811113,99.002094&sspn=0.006295,0.006295&t=h&z=19

Edited by kjhbigv