Registering A Baby At The Embassy

unclegrenv

Just wandering if any of you out there have had any experience with the British Embassy regarding registering a new born child.

Had a baby boy two months ago,Thai mother,English father and I want to know if my boy can apply for dual nationality and if so,is the process long, expensive and complicated.Any info that will shed light on the subject,basically.

Thanks a bunch everyone

My e-mail address is [email protected]

Just wandering if any of you out there have had any experience with the British Embassy regarding registering a new born child.

Had a baby boy two months ago,Thai mother,English father and I want to know if my boy can apply for dual nationality and if so,is the process  long, expensive and complicated.Any info that will shed light on the subject,basically.

Thanks a bunch everyone

My e-mail address is [email protected]

So why not just phone the embassy Chancery Division and have a chat?

Roger

Not that easy to call the embassy these days , Roger.

I've registered my daughter at the embassy - can't remember everthing I needed, but they didn't want a lot. My original birth certificate was required, which was a hassle.

Check the web-site - download an application form.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

You can get tranlations of the Thai birth certificate near the Ploen Chit BTS station. Bamrungrad charged me 1000 baht for this 300 baht service, maybe more now.

I registered my child with the Embassy (Thai mum/British father) earlier this year. Our child now has dual nationality. This is absolutely straightforward PROVIDED THAT you were registered married before the birth. If not, it is much more complicated.

Read the British Embassy website, they provide very good information on all this, including what documents you need and you can download application forms. At the embassy, go to the Consular Section upstairs, which is usually quiet and very efficient in my experience.

From memory, to register birth you need to provide the following documents:

Your original British birth certificate.

Your (British) passport.

Your wife's (Thai) passport

Your child's Thai birth certificate and a translation into English

Your Thai marriage certificate and a translation into English

You can get the translations done in a day for 300 baht per item at the translation places around Ploenchit-Wittayu junction. Fee for the British birth certifcate was 7,000 baht plus last April, maybe it has gone up since. Whatever, it is well worth it for the future of your child, it is basically a passport to live/work all over Europe and travel around the world (including visiting the UK itself) conveniently without needing visas everywhere. By the way you can apply for the child's actual British passport (another 3-4000 baht) at the same time (using the documents above).

Good luck!

Edited by charles

Yes..the critical thing is whether you are married to the girl, before the child's birth...A man cannot pass UK citizenship to an illegitimate child...if you marry after( in their words regularise the relationship) they will consider..but it is a pain!...Hope you are married!! If you are married it is, as Charles says, easy....Get the child a UK passport..NOW...they get unhappy if you wait..........

Yes..the critical thing is whether you are married to the girl, before the child's birth...A man cannot pass UK citizenship to an illegitimate child...if you marry after( in their words regularise the relationship) they will consider..but it is a pain!...Hope you are married!! If you are married it is, as Charles says, easy....Get the child a UK passport..NOW...they get unhappy if you wait..........

Thanks for the info mate.

Sadly not getting married until next year but i'll give it my best

Cheers

Not that easy to call the embassy these days , Roger.

I've registered my daughter at the embassy - can't remember everthing I needed, but they didn't want a lot. My original birth certificate was required, which was a hassle.

Check the web-site - download an application form.

http://www.britishembassy.gov.uk/servlet/F...d=1068717512679

You can get tranlations of the Thai birth certificate near the Ploen Chit BTS station. Bamrungrad charged me 1000 baht for this 300 baht service, maybe more now.

Thanks for that mate.

Not getting married until next year but i'll give it my beat anyway

Cheers

Thanks for that mate.

Not getting married until next year but i'll try anyway

Cheers

Charles post is nicely intentioned but inaccurate and misleading.

I registered my child with the Embassy (Thai mum/British father) earlier this year. Our child now has dual nationality.
Ok this is factually incorrect.

Dual nationality does not derive from registering the Birth at the UK Embassy. What this process delivers is a UK Birth certificate.

Whatever, it is well worth it for the future of your child, it is basically a passport to live/work all over Europe and travel around the world (including visiting the UK itself) conveniently without needing visas everywhere.

No thats not true.

Registration is not 'basically a passport'. A UK Passport is a passport.

Getting a passport is the document of nationality. Not an english language birth certificate. You can get a UK passport without having registered the birth.

By the way you can apply for the child's actual British passport (another 3-4000 baht) at the same time (using the documents above).

Yes, this is the main thing to focus on.

Edited by The_Moog

Sorry to go slightly off topic. My 8 month old daughter has both a Thai english passport. We will be returning to Thailand in December for a month. First time With my daughter. Can she enter Thailand on the Thai passport and return to the UK on her Brithish passport?

Charles post is nicely intentioned but inaccurate and misleading.
I registered my child with the Embassy (Thai mum/British father) earlier this year. Our child now has dual nationality.

Ok this is factually incorrect.

Dual nationality does not derive from registering the Birth at the UK Embassy. What this process delivers is a UK Birth certificate.

Whatever, it is well worth it for the future of your child, it is basically a passport to live/work all over Europe and travel around the world (including visiting the UK itself) conveniently without needing visas everywhere.
No thats not true.

Registration is not 'basically a passport'. A UK Passport is a passport.

Getting a passport is the document of nationality. Not an english language birth certificate. You can get a UK passport without having registered the birth.

I think you're really knitpicking there. Surely, a UK Birth Certificate is not just "an English language birth certificate", it is in essence a confirmation of British nationality. When I said "basically a passport" I obviously didn't mean "literally a passport", but once you have a British birth certificate, getting a British passport is a formality.

Do people in the UK not have British nationality until they get themselves a passport? What is the vital document used in order to obtain a British passport?

์Not nitpicking !!

The passport is the key document. Thats where the British nationality is conferred, to a foreign born baby with one English parent. It is not enshrined within the birth certificate.

Do people in the UK not have British nationality until they get themselves a passport?

They don't simply by virtue of being there. Just having a birth certificate from the UK (even one showing you were born there), does not give you British nationality. Its about who your parents are and where they're from, thats how nationality is derived.

Its not like the USA where you are a citizen automatically if you are born within their territory.

My daughter has now got dual nationality British birth and Thai certificate and passports.

It is your birth certificate that proves your nationality, that is why you have to show your birth certificate when you apply for your first passport. You will have to show your birth certificate for the same reasons.

My daughter was born before i was married although it was only about 2 months, i had no problem at the embassy.

I let a visa consultancy agency handle everything for me. The cost for everything was about 15000 baht if i remember correctly. Birth registered in the UK and passort.

There address is Sindhorn building (tower 3) 19th floor, wireless road opposite the American embassy, ask for Mr Josh.

Hope this is helpfull, and good luck

Geordie

The Moog is correct (did I really just write that?). British nationality is not derived from a birth certificate, but, rather, the parents' immigration status in the UK and/or their nationality: if born abroad, then purely the parents' nationality. The birth certificate just serves to confirm that the child is, indeed, the offspring of the purported mother and father.

For example, since 1/1/1983, someone born in the UK is no longer automatically British but will be issued with a UK birth certificate. They can stuff the certificate under as many officials' noses as they like, but if they ain't British, they ain't British, and don't get a UK passport.

Other factors also come into play. Most notably, how the parents derived their British nationality. If they are Britsh by descent, they can't pass on their nationality to a child born outside of the UK.

Scouse.

Scouse.