Suggestions For Getting To From Cm To Cambodia?

DocHolliday2006

What's an affordable, reasonably convenient way to get from CM to Cambodia?

I'd like to stop around Angkor wat and then head to the capital to get a double entry tourist visa before returning to Thailand.

Airplane? Train? Bus? Some combination?

Do any local companies do some sort of package deals to Cambodia?

Any suggestions welcome.

imo the best option is train from chiang mai to bkk(sleeper with fan, around 500thb) and then flight from bkk to phnom penh.

also it's not a bad option to go by train from bkk to aranayaprathet and cross the boarder from there and take bus from poi pet to phnom penh.

i still recommend flying, because the buses and roads are not very good in cambodia.

yes, you can get double entry from phnom penh.

i recommend this Lucky Services, #413Eo, Monivong Blvd., Phnom penh, Cambodia.

tel: 010998099 / 099808788 / 012279990 / 023220988

they will pick up your passport and two pictures from your hotel and deliver your passport back there. 85dollars for double entry tourist visa, 100dollars if you want it fast(the next day or something).

i have to say also that on 172 street is a hotel called Silverriver and in my opinion that's a good value for money(normally 30dollars/night, but they will discount it to 20dollars if you stay for a week. if 4-5 days 25dollars) incl.buffet breakfast.

I'd like to stop at Angkor wat first and then head to the capital.

So Train to BKK, and then what? Do trains run out that way? Bus? Where do I take a bus/train from to reach Angkor Wat?

imo the best option is train from chiang mai to bkk(sleeper with fan, around 500thb) and then flight from bkk to phnom penh.

also it's not a bad option to go by train from bkk to aranayaprathet and cross the boarder from there and take bus from poi pet to phnom penh.

i still recommend flying, because the buses and roads are not very good in cambodia.

yes, you can get double entry from phnom penh.

i recommend this Lucky Services, #413Eo, Monivong Blvd., Phnom penh, Cambodia.

tel: 010998099 / 099808788 / 012279990 / 023220988

they will pick up your passport and two pictures from your hotel and deliver your passport back there. 85dollars for double entry tourist visa, 100dollars if you want it fast(the next day or something).

i have to say also that on 172 street is a hotel called Silverriver and in my opinion that's a good value for money(normally 30dollars/night, but they will discount it to 20dollars if you stay for a week. if 4-5 days 25dollars) incl.buffet breakfast.

years ago i went to Khao San Road in BKK and got a van to Siem Riep.... cost 8 USD at the time and took like 15 hours, but it was the experience of a life time... air conditioned and not terribly uncomfortable... hopefully roads are better by now and the ride won't be so rough.

Then, going from SR to PP, i took the early morning (butt crack of dawn) boat ride down to the capitol... again, something i will never forget... and cheap...if you have the time and are of an adventurous nature, i highly recommend both legs of that journey.

and of course, you could check thorntree on Lonely Planets for latest trekker info on these things..

Edited by zippydedodah

i haven't been in angkor wat, but if i remember correctly it's near siem reap. probably you can fly from bkk to siem reap or you can take a bus from poi pet to siem reap.

yeah, train goes from hualamphong to aranayaprathet, 5 hours or so and 48thb. very convenient. from train station in aranayaprathet, tuk tuk is 60thb to get you to the boarder. visa to cambodia is 20dollars.

years ago i went to Khao San Road in BKK and got a van to Siem Riep.... cost 8 USD at the time and took like 15 hours, but it was the experience of a life time... air conditioned and not terribly uncomfortable... hopefully roads are better by now and the ride won't be so rough.

Then, going from SR to PP, i took the early morning (butt crack of dawn) boat ride down to the capitol... again, something i will never forget... and cheap...if you have the time and are of an adventurous nature, i highly recommend both legs of that journey.

and of course, you could check thorntree on Lonely Planets for latest trekker info on these things..

I think tours from the Khao San area are the most convenient from Bangkok. Never done it but I have heard that they will get you in to Siem Reap so late at night you really don't have much choice of accommodation it is like take it or walk the streets.

That might have changed now. However I have not heard if that is still the case.

I think tours from the Khao San area are the most convenient from Bangkok. Never done it but I have heard that they will get you in to Siem Reap so late at night you really don't have much choice of accommodation it is like take it or walk the streets.

That might have changed now. However I have not heard if that is still the case.

yes, i remember the late arrival time, but having already booked a hotel, i simply insisted that i be dropped off where i could get a ride to my hotel...wasn't that difficult... made the van driver from the border a bit grumpy cuz he lost a commission, i imagine, but i did not care.