Settlement Visa: The Right Way.

This is not the complete guide. Nor is it intended to be.

But, and it's a big but, it is based on my own application, which was processed 3 weeks quicker that the others running on my time scale, and quicker than the last year's average of 56 days.

We waited 6 weeks and 3 days. That's 45 days in old money.

So how was it done?

First of all, the guides on here of reams of documentation posted by well meaning individuals, are not a one fits all answer.

What is then?

There are 3 areas you must outline clearly.

They are: 1. The Relationship. 2. The Finances. 3. The Accommodation.

That is it.

Consider that in the corridors of power, where the Visa Application is decided, one individual is checking for what? They can sense a legitimate application because they've done the job, can smell a rat and intuitively know when it is Pukka. They go by facts. They do not go by your attempt at a Mills & Boon romantic novel.

Hence, the 3 main areas to cover.

1. The Relationship.

The relationship needs to be listed [ not described] ... listed factually. The meeting or associating dates, the times, the place, the regularity is needed. Your age; her age; is not required. But consider the main events in a couple's life together. There are too few birthdays; one Xmas; one Song Khran; one Loi Kratong. Added to that, when life in Thailand is a holiday, do you actually take holidays? That is go visit somewhere?

The reality is that you can provide some proof of some of the special occasions. The most obvious being date, the time, the place and the photograph. However, if you are apart by way of being in different countries, these major events are not possible to include.

What remains is the mundane, banal, routine, every day events of a life together. It seems dull but 'proving' that you shop together, dine together, walk the dog together, spend time together is essential in convincing the man in the corridor of power that yours is an actual relationship. Then there's the car to wash and the grass to cut. I included photographs that showed it being done, at our home, by us.

Therefore, all the DIY bills and jobs done 'in the home' are vital in building a pattern of co-habiting over the period of a relationship. Equally, the purchase of the fridge, washing machine and microwave should be included as they are expected items to be purchased when setting up home together. Moreover, when supporting your wife, such purchases are to be expected.

Much of that may seem like the minutiae of a relationship but it should not be underestimated when compiling an Appendix to the on-line application form. Those photos of you in the local market sipping coffee while she waits with the shopping are of use.

I would also place great emphasis upon documentation that is irrefutable. For example, we supplied our Dental Appointment records. These showed not only a period of years but also two separate geographical locations. Additionally, the original headed note paper and its addresses with telephone numbers, can easily be verified.

All the bills in the world carry less weight than those Dental Appointment records. Appointments months apart prove the continuity of a relationship, can be verified and therefore will not be viewed negatively. So consider any hospital records too.

If you are apart then phone records must be accurately kept and supplied. It is also worth writing actual hard copy letters from and to each address. Old fashioned it may be compared with the internet but it is irrefutable proof of time, date and place. Any personal details can legitimately be blacked out. The envelope [stamped and dated] along with the letter [dated] is evidential.

2. The Finances.

In comparison with the reams of supporting evidence for The Relationship, the finances are concise and purely factual. Money in - money out from the six months of bank statements required. Proof of any savings should you wish to include it, same with share accounts. Security is an issue. State this in your covering letter [see below.] Remove all account numbers. They don't expect them. Don't include them.

3. The Accommodation.

Some mortgage document or rental agreement. A photograph that is either 'official' [i.e. supplied within an Estate Agent's Marketing Brochure] or un-official [ i.e. one that you took.] Hopefully any EAMB will have a ground plan to prove number of rooms, although you can include your own photos of these. Even better if you are on them. A Council tax bill; a utility bill; proof that you are on the Electoral register at that same address. If living with a relative in their home then have their permission and confirmation that your spouse is welcome and that you live there by way of signed and dated letter. Include the UK contact of that person to facilitate any phone call to confirm.

Appendices

Numbers 2 and 3 are concise in their supporting evidence. In contrast, 1. The Relationship, in my case extended to 15 separate items to support the 3 years that we have lived together. Each individual appendix was numbered and an Index included for each of numbers 1,2 and 3. That was meant to aid clarity. At a glance the Appendix item was referenced and could be found.

Additional Information

This would be in the form of a letter covering the main points of the Application. It can be confined to one side of A4. Each paragraph briefly and factually explaining points 1,2 and 3. You will need to add the 'why the UK', which should be straight forward, for example if you are working; if your home is there; or, if you have a good reason to return. Any slightly unsure answer contained within the on-line application should be explained here. The use of the phrase 'I have honestly answered' along with ' as I interpret the question' or something similar in your own words. The reason being should there be something contradictory you have acknowledged the fact and gone some way to explaining any confusion. Simply, you are being as honest as you can.

Beware that the printed version you are issued with is a CONCISE version of what you answered on-line. They hold all the cards.

A note on 'compassionate grounds'; this has to be kept in perspective and it is the extreme and unfortunate reasons only which qualify you for this. Simply, unless death is involved then 'compassionate grounds' will not apply. Avoid it.

Factual accounts

Factual accounts are what is required. Emotive expressions, what you feel, share, hope are not required. Consider how powerful the statement is: 'I want to bring my wife to the UK.' That is the premise. Supply the facts - date, time, place and the supporting evidence. Keep the thing as concise as possible.

I rejected loads of Appendix material as one example was enough. Try for a continuity line time wise but you don't need to cover years of it. Simply, the shorter the relationship the more detail you will need. The main consideration was to prove the longevity of our relationship. On that note I would advise that any large bank transfers be made ahead of a 6 month period as you will be asked to explain those deposits. Six months of bank statements are requested.

However, in our case I supplied only my bank account details. My wife provided no proof of any bank statement or account. I support my wife therefore my bank account details [money in - money out] were the only account details provided. Importantly, it is the actual regular income that is assessed; your salary or pension. The question being; is it enough to provide independent support in the UK? Also, I only included my UK bank account. I did not intimate any Thai based bank account.

Original documents

Original documents are preferred and I would advise including a photocopy for all of these. Each document should be labelled clearly and Appendix referenced. I supplied up to date on-line banking statements and savings details, which were printed at home. I did include 6 months of Bank Statements that were posted to my UK address. Additionally, like the utility bills, it proves residency. Do remeber they will not go off to do any photocopying - so supply copies to everything. Think duplicate.

Other

The inclusion of a photograph should not be over looked and the exact size requested supplied. Cut it to size but be sure it is the passport type: no smile, correct background etc. Don't give them any reason to reject it.

The request for any previous passports is merely to establish the travel itinerary. Include them.

In the event of being interviewed it is important to understand just what is in the application. I compiled it. My wife had it explained to her time and time again as it was gathered together. She understood the main dates, the events, where and how we shopped, why that dentist was chosen, housekeeping monies, hobbies we have, the UK house where we'd live and family relations. Effectively, she would be able to put flesh on the Application's bones. That is, add the detail and be confident in doing so.

I expect you know all about the TB certification and the English Test requirement. The former is straight forward. If the TB cert. includes any abnormality the doctor will explain it on the cover sheet. However, add this detail to your covering letter.

The English Test [CEFR level A1] is an internationally recognised standard. It is the most basic level. You must differentiate between what is required to meet that standard and what some unscrupulous providers are passing off as suitable. IELTS, TOEFL and TOEIC are not suitable. They are university entrance standard; they can be business based; they require months of preparation to a level that is way above A1. They should be avoided as the content is far removed from conversational English. IELTS is English whereas the others are American based English. American English lacks prepositions and has a different vocabulary and spelling. Do you know what an intersection is? Your wife won't; you can't assist her and she'll fail unless she is at University level or highly competent in English.

My best advice is to contact UK based providers and seek clarification of the A1 and ask if they offer it in Thailand. That way you will gain knowledge of course requirement here and know just who provides it in Thailand. Furthermore, the A1 is awarded from the UK. The Thai based provider has no power to assess or award. It is emailed to the UK for that. If you 'google' A1 CEFR you can find details.

An A1 course should include a preparation period of two days maximum. Then a 1 hour [maximum] test. Remember, if your spouse can speak conversational English, listen and understand it, respond to instructions, answer questions, and ask them, write notes [ Your dinner's in the dog] and understand notes [ Down the pub. Back tomorrow], cope with situations [ You are in cinema - buy two tickets ] then she'll pass it. It's varied but it's straight forward. It should cost no more than 7k baht and you should find it much cheaper.

Time

Is on your side IF you start this process early. We did in January. The planning. Collate the information and get all the clearance details to marry, get married, prove you are divorced, have children / no children, Appendix materials, certified translations, etc. Visit the agencies in Bangkok. These are the GOVERNMENT agencies as you need to. Get the TB cert., which lasts for six months prior to submitting the application. Full passport with adequate time left and pages unused.

Leg Work - Hard Work

There is a lot of leg work in Bangkok. It is a grinding, detailed and painstaking process raking through two life histories. Ask yourself how well any outside person can do just that for you? I would conclude they can't. I have met people waiting in Regent House who used Agents and regretted it. They paid exorbitant sums and had their Application rejected. Now once bitten they twice shy and doing it for themselves. Moreover, the Embassy warns against agents who operate within the building. It is a sad fact but they are condoned by the very people who are charged with accepting your application. Resist their approaches. They have no influence as your Application is [upon acceptance] immediately emailed to the UK. They have no say in it whatsoever.

Money.

If that wasn't warning enough ask yourself just why the Thai Agency is not allowed to handle cash. You have to pay by cashier's cheque which can be obtained in the bank within Regent House. It's safe and secure. Hand over the cash in the bank only. Carry the cheque upstairs and hand it over. Your spouse will have the Application accepted, the cheque too and then she will under-go the bio-metric testing. It's a quick facial scan and fingerprinting as required by the UK.

Waiting

Then it's go home and wait. She will be informed by SMS and email at the same time. It is worth setting up a specific email account that you both can monitor. When the time comes they give no indication of success or failure. The passport is to be collected. Inside it will have a VISA if successful. The wording will include 'BRITISH EMBASSY UK EMPIRE CLEARANCE'. It's worth preparing your spouse to recognise that if you are waiting at the end of a phone some where in the UK. Usually, a rejection has nothing in the Passport.

Personal Responsibility.

This is our opinion only. It is our idea of a guide to. We ticked the boxes. We got the Visa in a much faster time than those on the wait list in this forum. Why? Luck perhaps. It was a detailed yet concise Application. It succeeded first time - in quick time - without any interview or clarification.

It is meant to help and to encourage.

Edited by housepainter

Hi Housepainter.

I am in the process of compiling the documentation for my partners settlement visa application.

The UKBA state on their website that they need a certified photocopy of the UK partners passport.

Although I've emailed UKBA about this, they've not responded.....

I am planning to use a UK based solicitor (Commissioner of Oaths) to certify the photocopy.

Would you expect this to be acceptable?

Many Thanks.

Hi Housepainter.

I am in the process of compiling the documentation for my partners settlement visa application.

The UKBA state on their website that they need a certified photocopy of the UK partners passport.

I am planning to use a UK based solicitor (Commissioner of Oaths) to certify the photocopy.

Many Thanks.

you can certify this yourself.

just write. ' i certify this to be a true copy of the original' or words to that effect.

and sign it

Hi Housepainter.

Many Thanks.

you can certify this yourself.

just write. ' i certify this to be a true copy of the original' or words to that effect.

and sign it

we have never included certified copies of applicants passports with our applications after processing some 500 applications we have never had any issues.

As TV says, self-certification is enough at this time. This may change, as and when UKBA decide to implement their own advice to provide original documents. This could happen at any time, probably without warning, so be prepared for some refusals on the grounds that original documents were not produced, or even because certified translations were not included ( this is in the guidance, but not yet insisted upon by the visa section in Bangkok) !

The guidance given by housepainter contains some good points, but there are many inaccuracies. Although housepainter says , in his post ( in his final paragraph), that the guidance is his opinion only, he also titles the post "The Right Way". His guidance is not totally accurate, nor is it complete ( as he agrees in his first paragraph). There is no definitive "right way".

Edited by VisasPlus

The principles of the post is good and very useful but to say your application will be processed more quickly if it is in this format is rather fanciful. You may be lucky or not but there does seem to be an element of randomness to the order applications are processed.

Complex or poorly prepared applications will possibly take longer but my wife and daughter had their applications processed in little more than half an hour! The wait was around 8 weeks and we considered that fairly good at the time!

Sending information by the kilo will not help your case or the ECO. I totally agree that careful preparation will help the ECO and possibly improve his/her mood but it is unlikely to change the result unless facts get buried in the trivia!

Hi Housepainter.

Many Thanks.

You dont have to us any one , just photocopy it yourself and sign it.

From what he has written it is obvious that Housepainter and his wife have lived together for some time; presumably in Thailand. However, most people here are not in that happy position and so much of his advice will be useless to them.

For example; when a couple are living 6000 miles apart, showing that they have the same dentist is not going to be easy! Photos of them washing the car and mowing the lawn together are going to be difficult to provide, too. Even for couples who have been living together in Thailand this type of evidence is somewhat bizarre. Simple evidence that you have been living together will do; no need for photos of husband waiting while wife goes shopping!

This is the problem with posts of the "This is what I did, so you should do the same" type. Though to be fair, Housepainter does say that it is not a complete guide; but, and it's a big but, he does say that using his method meant a quicker than average turnaround. This is nonsense. As can be seen from the waiting times topic, turnaround times are falling for all.

Comparing his waiting time with that of 12 months ago is no comparison at all. The major (only?) factor in average waiting times is the number of applications, of all types, received.

His assertion that using his method means no interview or "clarification" is also, I'm afraid, nonsense. The vast majority of applications are decided without such.

As Visa Plus says, his post also contains inaccuracies which show an ignorance of how the system actually works, too many to list here in their entirety; but for example, he still thinks that his assertion posted elsewhere that all applications are sent to the UK for processing is correct; it isn't! Only in exceptional cases is an application referred to the UK; all others are decided in post at the embassy. The wording he quotes for the actual visa is totally wrong (British empire!?). One would think he'd know at least that; he just has to look in his wife's passport!

However, as others have said, it does contain some points which others may find useful; particularly those in circumstances similar to his.

But, as VisaPlus says, to title this topic "Settlement Visa: The Right Way" is a misnomer. His advice is just the way that worked for him; it wont necessarily work for those in different circumstances to him and his wife.

As I have said many times; show that the criteria for the visa are satisfied and you will get the visa. How you satisfy these criteria and how you show that you do depends on your own circumstances. There is no "one size fits all."

I, and others, have often said in topics similar to this, especially the pinned ones, that readers should use them as general advice, and adapt that advice to suit their own circumstances. The same caveat applies to Housepainter's advice.

BTW, I've now edited the title to show this is a UK related topic. Please remember that this forum is not restricted to UK members.

By qualifying my post with the word 'BUT' and explaining it was a not a one size fits all I believe I'd gone a long way towards offering a personal insight as to the process without claiming it to be anything else.

Whether a couple co-habit or not, share a country or don't they face the same hurdles. That is a successful clearance of the Visa Application first time; without falling.

The examples I give are for consideration of the type of thing to look for when selecting supportive evidence. Therefore, in a more time constrained relationship where greater periods are spent apart it becomes imperative to supply the mundane photograph. The whirlwind romance deserves a sceptical eye as do such accompanying romantic images. However, the seriousness of a relationship can be suggested through the banality, normality of time shared together.

Furthermore, the example of time spent together [ in a market, drinking coffee, shopping ] shows valued, quality time together. Moreover, whether holiday maker or resident, the opportunity to take that photo and use it to support the Visa application should not be missed. That is the point.

I do believe that a clearly constructed, concise, factual, indexed, Appendixed and organised application speeds the process. Equally, the clerks who handle such applications must appreciate an easy to follow document and logically conclude their work smoothly without delay. Again I assert that my example, if followed, will help those who are yet to apply for those reasons.

Clarity aids a decision as surely as a muddled document defers it.

All centres world wide are subject to sampling that runs concurrent with the stream of applications. They are monitored, standards are maintained and overseen from the UK shores. Fact. Without clarity details would need to be verified. For example, those of housing and finance. These checks are made in the UK where the records are based. I cite as an example DVLC that can verify address against any council held document. Equally, Bank addressed details against IR details.It is the UK cross checking that is done in the UK. Any clarification causes delay while the detail is checked against what is stated in the Application.

The fact I may have misheard my wife say 'british empire ' for 'british embassy' from her Mobile to mine, was unfortunate.

The wording I quoted was given me at the time by telephone from my wife in Regent House. I was on the telephone in England. I intended to assist others having just finished the process that day. My experience and knowledge were of most value to others at the moment of posting. That is, supply up to date information based on having done it.

An emailed attachment of my wife's Visa arrived the next day. Reading the Visa for myself made it clear. Further useful advice then. Have it scanned and emailed ASAP to you. Also, the Visa number can be referred to should the passport become lost.

Further advice, remember the challenge of communication, even after gaining the A1. Once your wife strays off the familiar vocabulary path and encounters 'Visa' speak, she may not comprehend content, pronounce correctly or make clear the meaning to you. Example, ask your wife what the word 'clearance' means?

I would like to add that I have an independent opinion based on experience and free from pecuniary financial gain or interest. I am not connected to any business making profit from Visa Application.

For anyone who misses the point. This is not the complete guide. Nor is it intended to be. That was the point.

I thank those who have answered the query regarding certification. That is my experience too. I was told I could 'self-certify' simply by stating ' a true likeness' etc on the document or back of any photo.

Further advice; any attendance in person on the premises of any Government or Agency building should be done in smart casual dress. I have seen men in suits. That is not necessary. It is a hot country and no one expects you in a suit. But, and it's a big BUT ......... but it is best to observe the mores of the country. Long trousers are better than anything else. A business or funeral shoe is better than any trainer or flip-flop. A shirt with collar is better than a vest.

You may not be acknowledged but you will make an impression and it will be the right one.

Other advice: keep your own copy of the file that you submit. Should this be time consuming and you wish to put it off, can prove costly. Be organised and able to refer to any document [ appendix listed ]. In the worst case scenario you can re-apply using much of the material and only changing or submitting that which is failing you.

I fly out shortly. Our intention is to and say goodbye to our life in Thailand [allowing a week for this], to hold a party for the friends and neighbours who wish us well, and then to return to the UK in time for the remainder of the August good weather.

Life becomes stress free and there is so much we can now do together. Previously, I never planned but we always intended and qualified our hopes and dreams with 'if'.

Now we talk of when.

It's wonderful.

I wish you well in your pursuit of happiness.

I fly out shortly. Our intention is to and say goodbye to our life in Thailand [allowing a week for this], to hold a party for the friends and neighbours who wish us well, and then to return to the UK in time for the remainder of the August good weather.

Life becomes stress free and there is so much we can now do together. Previously, I never planned but we always intended and qualified our hopes and dreams with 'if'.

Good Luck Housepainter

I do believe that a clearly constructed, concise, factual, indexed, Appendixed and organised application speeds the process. Equally, the clerks who handle such applications must appreciate an easy to follow document and logically conclude their work smoothly without delay.

Agree totally, you subtitled this 'without the bumpf'; but you submitted much that is unnecessary.

All centres world wide are subject to sampling that runs concurrent with the stream of applications. They are monitored, standards are maintained and overseen from the UK shores. Fact.

True, by the Chief Inspector; but this is done, in part, by looking at applications already decided, not by sending any current applications to the UK.

.It is the UK cross checking that is done in the UK. Any clarification causes delay while the detail is checked against what is stated in the Application.

Some information in some applications may be checked with agencies in the UK, but this is far from routine; indeed I would go so far as to say it is rare. However, you are correct that evidence, especially of finances and accommodation, should be clear and concise. Best not, in my opinion, to clutter that evidence up with details of dental and medical appointments!

For anyone who misses the point. This is not the complete guide. Nor is it intended to be. That was the point

Then why entitle it 'The Right Way'?

I have only indexed my Documents using Dividers, Seems easy to follow, My sponsors letter explains everything ( Below is part of the sponsors letter)

Section 8 - Supplementary Documents

The following are supplementary documents supplied as part of this application and have been provided in this section for your information

1. Copy’s of all pages showing Travel to Thailand in my Passport

2. Letter showing confirmation of Employment and 6 months Pay slips

3. First Direct Bank account statements plus a TD Waterhouse statement showing a transfer of funds from TD Waterhouse to First Direct of

4. Council tax bill showing discount for a single adult of 25% and a water Bill.

5. Nationwide Mortgage statements showing payments and amount still owed.

6. Photos and supporting Documents of my Home

7. Photos from Oct 2007 until August 2012 of myself and Ms X and past phone bills.

8. Divorce Certificate For Mr X

9. Copy Of the Refusal Document (Ref Bangkok and a Past sponsors letter covering all the points in the refusal Letter.

10 Past bills from Past travel To Thailand with Ms X

My Wife to be is doing a similar Index

Then why entitle it 'The Right Way'?

Typical pedantic retort from 7b7.

Good luck to you OP and a well written post to boot. There is way too much scaremongering on these forums (and on the barstools). I am sure the ECOs get very tired of hearing how skegness sid sold his taxi and headed out to Pattaya (where you can live like a king on a few crusty tenners each day) before his eyes met accross a crowded beach road with leathery noi from nong khai.

Clear and conscise fact has always got to be the order of the day.

There is way too much scaremongering on these forums (and on the barstools). I am sure the ECOs get very tired of hearing how skegness sid sold his taxi and headed out to Pattaya (where you can live like a king on a few crusty tenners each day) before his eyes met accross a crowded beach road with leathery noi from nong khai.

So are you an expert of a few days, or a previous TV member reborn?

There is way too much scaremongering on these forums (and on the barstools). I am sure the ECOs get very tired of hearing how skegness sid sold his taxi and headed out to Pattaya (where you can live like a king on a few crusty tenners each day) before his eyes met accross a crowded beach road with leathery noi from nong khai.

So are you an expert of a few days, or a previous TV member reborn?

I seem to remember his patronising turn of phrase from someone who was previously banned. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

Edited by VisasPlus

So are you an expert of a few days, ?

I used to work with an ex - ECO moons ago, He would have us in fits of laughter retelling some of the applications he received in Bangkok and Nigeria to name a few. And his pet hate was having to review life histories and Pattaya Mills and Boon love stories!!

It was he who termed 'aged Skegness Sid the ex-taxi driver' and 'Leathery Noi, the tart from Nong Khai'.

I guess it wears them down after a while. I mean, it can't be easy, can it? Dealing with all that nonsense.

Edited by fatpig2

I have to say that the more 'expert' posters on this site seem to give good, clear and concise advice which is almost always of great accuracy. There are a few less informed posts (probably including some of mine) where there may be some 'overreaction' but these are usually followed by sensible posts from these better informed people.

I have clearly missed the scaremongering despite using this site for some time.

Perhaps I do not say thank you enough to those people that give up time helping others. The rather obnoxious posts that seem to be appearing recently should be balanced at least in part by a big thank you from me for the help and advice I have received in the past!

seem to remember his patronising turn of phrase from someone who was previously banned. I may be wrong, but I don't think so.

You think I am the poster (who was exceedingly handsome, could eat spicy and had many, many Thai radies) who would often pull you up on your offering a pre-test placement tests at 1,000 baht a time????

Yes, you are indeed wrong.

Edited by fatpig2

I am sure that he wont mind me saying that the reasons why fatpig now posts as fatpig2 are technical.

Whatever, it has nothing to do with this topic and further speculation on that score will not be tolerated.

BTW, at least two of the posters (not me) who fatpig2, and fatpig before him, belittles so much are ex ECOs, and so can be reasonably acknowledged as knowing infinitely more about the whole system than a language course salesman, sorry; sales director, with a fixation about Skegness taxi drivers.

Now, the information provided by the OP is here for all to read and use if the wish. So, before this topic descends any further into a flame fest:

:mfr_closed1: