Chiang Mai Zoo To Build Largest Aquarium

Jai Dee

CHIANG MAI ZOO WILL BUILD THE LARGEST AQUARIUM IN ASIA

Chiang Mai Zoo is to build the largest aquarium in Asia with a budget of 300 million baht.

Director Sophon Dumnui (โสภณ ดำนุ้ย) said the zoo has already been allocated the budget and plans to request an additional sum of 600 million baht to finance the construction of two tunnels -- one to display freshwater fish and the other for marine fish. Each tunnel will be 700 metres long, making it the longest aquarium tunnel in the world.

The aquarium itself will also be the largest in Asia with a large dome to accommodate aquatic animal-displaying sections and conference rooms.

Chiang Mai Zoo will forward its request for the additional budget to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and to the Cabinet for approval respectively.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพฤหัสบดีที่ 27 ตุลาคม 2548

CHIANG MAI ZOO WILL BUILD THE LARGEST AQUARIUM IN ASIA

Chiang Mai Zoo is to build the largest aquarium in Asia with a budget of 300 million baht.

Director Sophon Dumnui (โสภณ ดำนุ้ย) said the zoo has already been allocated the budget and plans to request an additional sum of 600 million baht to finance the construction of two tunnels -- one to display freshwater fish and the other for marine fish. Each tunnel will be 700 metres long, making it the longest aquarium tunnel in the world.

The aquarium itself will also be the largest in Asia with a large dome to accommodate aquatic animal-displaying sections and conference rooms.

Chiang Mai Zoo will forward its request for the additional budget to the Ministry of Natural Resources and Environment and to the Cabinet for approval respectively.

Source: thaisnews.com ประจำวันพฤหัสบดีที่ 27 ตุลาคม 2548

Is Chiang Mai Zoo a government owned/run enterprise?

• 2 years later...
im hungry .... and i love fish

i mean that :D

Hows school going"

Supposedly here in Atlanta we presently have the worlds largest aquarium. 4 whale sharks and some beluga whales are the main attraction, but I like the 400 pound groupers, very tasty. :o

My lovely thai wife has dreams of cooking half the fish in the attraction, but then she keeps telling me shes going make tom yum outta my king snake. :D

But I do like aquariums so it'll be a good place to take my grand child to when he gets a couple of years older.

• 7 months later...

The daughter returned a a little while ago from BKK with pictures of the one in Siam Paragon big sharks swimming over head..that's for me i thought i will pop down to the one in CM 250 Bht to get in bussed up to the Aquarium got in great but disapointed no sharks just tidlers and rays.

Great for the kids would recomend it for a trip out, we finished the day out with a trip on the overhead monorail which was worth the 70 bht

The daughter returned a a little while ago from BKK with pictures of the one in Siam Paragon big sharks swimming over head..that's for me i thought i will pop down to the one in CM 250 Bht to get in bussed up to the Aquarium got in great but disapointed no sharks just tidlers and rays.

Great for the kids would recomend it for a trip out, we finished the day out with a trip on the overhead monorail which was worth the 70 bht

The best place for sharks is off south Africa where they troll dummy seals for Great White sharks to attack. It's a spectacular trip, but expensive. It's an awesome spectical to see a 15 foot shark come leaping out of the water to attack the seal only 20 feet behind the boat.

I'll have to visit the Chiang Mai aquarium when I return. It usually takes a few years to set up a proper display with all the exibits.

To have a large acquarium is another good thing for Chiang Mai. It gives people something else to see.The web site just does nothing to make me want to go there. Photos are low quality...But I will go and see for sure. I love acquariums.

Edited by Gold2005