Sarasin Rd Extention From Wireless To Asoke

Nepal4me

Does anybody know what stage this project/proposal is at?

There is a big push for a greener BKK and the whole area between Lumpini park and Sirikit Park could be made to be a big park. Sarasin road is proposed/is suggested??? to go from Asoke to Wireless along side this new bigger park.

Any updates?

There have been a few proposals over the years, this topic has come up before and there were links to some of the plans.

I think it would have to wait until the Tobacco Monopoly completes their move; this has been contentious for obvious reasons. There are plans to close the Hospital, and there are periodic protests. The RBSC - Polo Club was blocking this as well, for obvious reasons.

You night find something on skyscrapercity or 2Bangkok?

there is an existing walking path /bike route in place, but is spans a particularly rank klong. Are you talking about the tobacco monopoly area? there is plenty of green space there.

Yes, that is exactly where I meant. Sarasin Road would go along the Klong/existing footpath. Currently there are slums and then the Tobacco Monopoly's Northern section, which doesn't contain buildings, just roadway and parking area.

The Polo Club is actually a couple of hundred meters south of the existing footpath. So Sarasin Road wouldn't go through there. I'm sure the Polo club wouldn't like to give up there area for more parkland but the whole surrounding area is slummy and the government "could" force it through if they really "got green".

Some of the plans over the years have been very optimistic/aggressive, incorporating the RSBC, Suan Lum Night Bazaar and all of the Tobacco Monopoly.

Clearing "slums" sounds easy, and occasionally it can be done here (either by arson or a single night clear-out like Chuwit), but if you've followed the SARL construction you'll understand that it can take years to move squatters. And the land you mention is not squatters but renters, with rich and powerful landlords.

Obviously the expressway, railroad and even Duang Pitak need to be traversed. Some plans called for pedestrian/bike underpasses here, some with more over-head bridges.

I think it's safe to say that without some sort of Royal decree/involvement any grand plans will remain on paper.

silly idea

u realize of course that is lang suan like THE most expensive real estate in the city .

if the bike path becomes a road , how long do u think it will take before the road has high rise condos on each side of it ?

sometimes i am surprised lumphini hasn't been paved over (yet) (a la the night bazaar)

the tobacco monopoly is like one of the best pieces of property there ever was , right in the heart of one of the fastest growing cities in the world . how long before that's a mall/malls and hotels...

Some of the plans over the years have been very optimistic/aggressive, incorporating the RSBC, Suan Lum Night Bazaar and all of the Tobacco Monopoly.

Clearing "slums" sounds easy, and occasionally it can be done here (either by arson or a single night clear-out like Chuwit), but if you've followed the SARL construction you'll understand that it can take years to move squatters. And the land you mention is not squatters but renters, with rich and powerful landlords.

Obviously the expressway, railroad and even Duang Pitak need to be traversed. Some plans called for pedestrian/bike underpasses here, some with more over-head bridges.

I think it's safe to say that without some sort of Royal decree/involvement any grand plans will remain on paper.

I've been hearing about this for years. Just thought I'd see if anybody had any updates. Sounds like it's going to be status quo for the foreseeable future. I think one hurdle is the Tobacco Monopoly finding a new place to reside. That would only be park land but it would be a huge expansion for Queen Sirakit.

I think one hurdle is the Tobacco Monopoly finding a new place to reside.

The new headquarters and factory in Ayutthaya is scheduled to open in 2013. Hopefully someone will clean up the environmental mess the TTM will leave behind?

The new headquarters and factory in Ayutthaya is scheduled to open in 2013. Hopefully someone will clean up the environmental mess the TTM will leave behind?

Yes the stench and sight of chemical drums lying on the side of some of the roads there would be enough to cure anyone of the smoking habit.

That is great news.

You would think there would be motivation to clear up the TTM quickly after they move to Ayutthaya. It's prime land, I suppose there would be less motivation if it is going to be park land.......i.e. nobody to make money on bribes.

Funny 2013 sounds like it's many years away but it's only 16 months from now.

That is great news.

You would think there would be motivation to clear up the TTM quickly after they move to Ayutthaya. It's prime land, I suppose there would be less motivation if it is going to be park land.......i.e. nobody to make money on bribes.

Funny 2013 sounds like it's many years away but it's only 16 months from now.

Actually 2013 is 17 to 29 months from now. ;) But construction has begun on the new HQ/plant.

After ~ 40 years of tobacco production any real environmental clean-up would be a massively expensive effort. I suspect that this will not happen, and any subsequent parkland or development will be built on top of the mess, and then slowly leech into the environment. But maybe that's been an on-going process? Hard to tell without some studies. If/when it is developed the demo/excavation/footings crews will likely bear the brunt of the exposure/risks.

Edited by lomatopo