Be Prepared

Murgatroyd

B 60,000 a Month, Gawd mate, live like a king.!!!.I pay B2,500 a month rent -2 storey 3 bedroom house Brand new 2-3 bedroom houses built to approximate Farang standards , rent for a Max. ,B5,000 a month.Love me 'ouse.!!!Medical ? I have used the govt. health care system for 21 years. Never been anywhere near a private "orse piddle"and never will. In February, was diagnosed with Pneumonia AND T.B. + COPD.Spent 6 days in there( total cost ,including ambulance was less than B15,000 . Treatment was excellent. Nurses were wonderful- NOT a dragon amongst them.My G/F stayed with me ,slept on the floor under my bed. Brilliant !!! Looked after me superbly. Much better than Farang hospitals in Farang land. However ,if my treatment was going to cost MORE than a return air fare ,and I was NOT an emergency patient, I would return to Oz as I am an old age pensioner,and therefore get free medical care.But, I must add that the clinics -Which are in nearly every 2nd village and provide FREE treatment for all your odd Simple health problems ,are excellent. And all work to an understanding of what their abilities are. When ,they are out of their depth , you are whisked off to the next level,very quickly, as happened to me. I reckon .that there are many of us living MUCH better than in our home countries AND living ,very happily , on about B30,000 a month. I know ,I am AND that includes supporting a 17year 8 1/2 months preggers + 2 Primary school age kids ( I am not their father)+ the G/F.as well. Somebody on B 60,000 a month -I can only add "charitable donations , accepted with glee"To me !!! Please. B60,000 a month income? ,you will love it here. Unless you live in Pattaya or Phuket.

Edited by afarang

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A salutory warning about relying on exchange rates and interest/investment rates when planning longer term living expenses, or in your case retirement..

I try and factor in a worst case scenario of a 20% drop in the Aussie dollar/baht when i do my long term planning. The Aussie dollar is super high against the greenback at the moment and interest rates on every day online accounts in Australia can return 6.5%...easy to do the Math on those figures and think everything is hunky dory for the future

Please , do not be a Septic Tank .It is NOT MATH ,but MATHS.Apart from that ,I live supremely well on the Oz old age pension

Another bright idea would be to move to a cheaper house/apartement, skip the car use a motorcycle instead. I live comfortable with 35K per month, as I think many other expats do. :)

can you tell me do you pay rent and if so where is cheap??

I would not call it cheap, (ignore 2 of the posters above) but yes I rent 10K/month.

Brand new 2-3 bedroom houses built to approximate Farang standards , rent for a Max. ,B5,000 a month.Love me 'ouse.!!!

Where is this?

A wild guess would be Isaan. And they will be empty, maybe running water and electric. But that's about it.

A salutory warning about relying on exchange rates and interest/investment rates when planning longer term living expenses, or in your case retirement..

I try and factor in a worst case scenario of a 20% drop in the Aussie dollar/baht when i do my long term planning. The Aussie dollar is super high against the greenback at the moment and interest rates on every day online accounts in Australia can return 6.5%...easy to do the Math on those figures and think everything is hunky dory for the future

Please , do not be a Septic Tank .It is NOT MATH ,but MATHS.Apart from that ,I live supremely well on the Oz old age pension

'math'... 'maths'..you are clearly a retired teacher..or just a pedantlaugh.gif.. why people feel the need to correct such things..whistling.gif

Apparently from your choise of vehicle (see avatar), some members might find this hard to believe. :lol:

'math'... 'maths'..you are clearly a retired teacher..or just a pedantlaugh.gif.. why people feel the need to correct such things..whistling.gif

OK, so maybe in this instance its pedantry, but meth, meths, its a big difference for us on the street you know.

You get a better 'glow' with meths', but for a healthy shine, brasso wins hands down

SC

The other option for the OP is some kind of Internet work.

I am always looking for new ideas and currently have 3 websites plus other business interests all online.

I trade FOrex for clients too, I always say never put your eggs in one basket try to have at least 3 or 4 income streams coming in.

The World is in a right mess now and relying on std bank/investment companies making you a living is not going to happen. You need to think outside the box and find other areas.

Good luck :D

Which is all illegal unless you have a WP for Thailand of course.....Which I am sure you have.....:whistling:

why would making money via the internet outside Thailand be illegal?

The other option for the OP is some kind of Internet work.

I am always looking for new ideas and currently have 3 websites plus other business interests all online.

I trade FOrex for clients too, I always say never put your eggs in one basket try to have at least 3 or 4 income streams coming in.

The World is in a right mess now and relying on std bank/investment companies making you a living is not going to happen. You need to think outside the box and find other areas.

Good luck :D

Which is all illegal unless you have a WP for Thailand of course.....Which I am sure you have.....:whistling:

why would making money via the internet outside Thailand be illegal?

Its not illegal. It is illegal to work within Thailand without a work permit. The location of your customers is irrelevant. Your own location is not.

The location of your bank account is also irrelevant.

Surely, anyone that undertsands extrapolation would be able to deduce that from first principles with a trivium of imagination?

SC

this scenario is happening all over the world because of the finatual down turn.In the UK its just as bad , You get little return on your investments or savings. All the Utility bills are going up 15%to 20%, No body is getting wage rises. and tax is going up.I would like to live In Thailand but i have to live within my means ,But i/you have to live with in your means anywhere.OK this is beyond your control but you have to live with what you have ,Even if it means cut backs , and no car.i wish you well.

Our Murgatroyd is right.

The cost of living, medical, social and everything has increased substantially over the last few years.

It is possible to live in Thailand on a shoestring budget if you are prepared to eat noodles and local Thai style food every day, stay home more often, use a motorbike for transport, never become ill or seriously injured in an accident, use fans instead of air con and so on.

If we or our family’s suddenly require medical such as Murgatroyd, that’s when the problems could really begin. So for many of us, we live in hope.

I really used to enjoy my social, wine, women and song, but all that has become way too expensive these days and now having a night out is a rarity and a luxury or having to watch the pennies if I do go out. I am finding myself having to stay at home much more often, plodding about in the garden and sitting in front of my computer these days.

Then there is the ever dwindling bahts for Western currencies exchange rates and the increasing cost of living that seems to go up in leaps and bounds.

As for my situation, I planned well before I decided to move here, so although my family and I manage and don`t go hungry and can pay our way, I am no longer financial able to fulfil all the ambitions I once had in Thailand, which is a disappointment and an anti climax.

I am sure there are many in a similar situation as myself, and for the foreseeable future, I cannot see things improving.

OK, so maybe in this instance its pedantry, but meth, meths, its a big difference for us on the street you know.

You get a better 'glow' with meths', but for a healthy shine, brasso wins hands down

SC

they both go well with coke, so i've been told

Edited by outofoz

Allow your wife to buy her dream Car from her own earnings !? :(

is she really going to use the Car or is it just a 'status symbol' thing ?

I bought my wife a Car in the 'Good times', She hardly uses it, its now about 6 years old and looks new.

I can't see a light at the end of this Tunnel, could and probably will get worse before it gets better.

You'll have to dissapoint your wife, I suspect she will survive or get a very nice secondhand one

correction, just checked the Financial News, It is getting worse :(

Edited by jubby

congrats to the OP for being so frank. Seems like whatever else that he has his head screwed on right.

Dunno about the car for the wife thing though. My advice is to plan a month long road trip in a hire car. Drive top to bottom of Thailand and then back again.

Let her do all the driving.

Methinks she'll be over having a car after that....

Everyone has different expectations and standards of living they will accept , I really get tired of those that brag about how much they have or how little they can live on here in thailand, do you really think anyone gives a shit about you besides yourself ??? The op just threw out some advice for others on living here, thats what forums are all about, sharing info. get over yourselves and hopefully some people will read this and think\plan more before they leap into the jungle of thailand.

Everyone has different expectations and standards of living they will accept , I really get tired of those that brag about how much they have or how little they can live on here in thailand, do you really think anyone gives a shit about you besides yourself ??? The op just threw out some advice for others on living here, thats what forums are all about, sharing info. get over yourselves and hopefully some people will read this and think\plan more before they leap into the jungle of thailand.

Exactly.

great post

it's interesting to read the details of a life , financially , going totally wrong while it's actually happening , rather than after ALL the money is gone (like we usually see , hear of ).

Edited by jackdawson

Although I sympathise with the OP about exchange rates and medical expenses etc.

It's hard to fathom why he would even consider buying his wife a new car.

So, according to the OP, he has paid for expensive dental work for not only

his wife, but step-daughter which is a very honourable thing to do. This, added

to the cancer treatment has obviously been very taxing both emotionally and

financially.

He's also stated that he has purchased a business for the wife in which she

not only works hard in, but keeps all of the proceeds. Them, the OP says he "feels

guilty" for not being able to buy her a new car! <deleted>!

The wife doesn't seem to be appreciative at all. Surely she should be putting

her wage together with OP's so they can ride out the storm. But no, after all

of what the OP has done, she also wants to "screw him further" by demanding

a new car and laying a guilt trip on him.

One would wonder what wife would do when/if money runs out. I'm sure he has

an idea.

Why do expats continue to be door mats when they come here? My opinion is

that they were the same back home.

OP keeps sying he is trying to explain and show wife their financial situation.

The OP does sound like a nice fella, but he really has to put his foot down.

TELL the wife if she want's the car, she can buy it and pay for insurance and costs.

Better still, just tell her you both cannot afford one at the moment.

Hope things work out for you.

Regards

Will

Yes but in Thailand you can live with as much or little as you want as long as you can adapt. The OP has a extra problem that is sickness in the family that makes it hard. I remember when i had less money i spend a lot less now that i have more i spend more. I still save enough but the more you have the more you spend. But then its hard to do a few steps back. That does not mean its impossible.

Tough. We all wish we had more money. Maybe you should have saved more.

Anyways, I'm prepared to live on 20k a month if I go broke. That's fan room and noodle cup living. I can do it.

Thank you all for your advice, much of which has been excellent. I think I need to correct any false impression that my wife tries to take advantage of me, or that I act like a doormat or function purely as an ATM. This is not the case. I'm only too well aware of the way that works, and if I thought I was being taken for a fool I'd be out of the marriage in seconds. (Though it's fair to say that I wouldn't dream of deserting my wife while she's ill, I'd have to be a sorry specimen of humanity to do that).

I've put my foot down about the car. We simply cannot afford it and it's really out of the question. If we can find a reliable 2nd hand car for around the 100,000 baht mark then I'll consider it. Even then I'm a bit dubious about it as 2nd hand cars tend to require a lot of repairs as various bits of them seize up.

Several of you have made the justifiable point that if my wife wants a car, and if she has her own business, she should pay for it out of her profits. That is a fair point. However her business of making ladies and children's clothing doesn't actually generate much cash. My wife makes the clothes, and various friends of hers, and her sister sell them from market stalls and small shops. Apart from the sister, turnover is fairly low. I rather suspect that she'd make more money if it wasn't for her sister, whom I believe pleads povety when it comes time to cough up for the stock she's taken. I also suspect that this issue over the car is of the sister's making. The sister and her husband recently bought a pick up truck on credit, and they asked my wife to co-sign the loan application and to secure it on her house. When I found out that they had previously defaulted on a vehicle purchase loan I told my wife not to sign the papers, as if everything wen't wrong it would be me paying out to keep our house. This wasn't well received by the sister, who I think reckoned that she should accrue some financial advantage from having a farang in the family. My attitude is that if the sister cannot rely on her own husband for sufficient support, tough titty... perhaps they should have thought about that before having three children of their own, and buying an expensive truck that they can't really afford. I'm fairly sure that the sister is shit stirring by way of payback.

Before buying my wife the business, I had tried giving my wife some money, (30,000 Baht), so that she had spending money of her own. (This was nearly four years ago, when cash wasn't so tight). Within a few months her family ( the sister) had borrowed the lot, never to be seen again.

When I married my wife I made it quite clear that although I would support her, her daughter, (then aged 5), and her mother, (widowed), I would not be supporting any other members of her family, (two married sisters, one brother, a cousan, and a flock of aunts). My wife has always been a hard worker, before we met she worked revolving shifts at a local washing machine factory, and paid her mortgage out of a fairly slim salary. She no longer works there because I asked her to give up her job and stay home with me. She was always exhausted and her little daughter didn't give her much time to sleep. She looks after me wonderfully, and I love her very much. Her mother, who used to live with us but who has now returned to Issaan, is also a gentle, kind lady who has never asked me for anything, bless her. The daughter, whom I now regard as my daughter is a sweet child, (As long as she gets her own way, like most little girls!). My wife is a lovely, caring, beautiful woman, but she's not the strongest of characters, and tends to be a little naive about the way that her sister takes advantage of her. Having lived more or less hand to mouth for all her live she doesn't really understand money, (Though kudos to her for buying her house and paying the mortgage, not just renting one).

Please, you must not allow wife to co-sign loan.

Consequence of default serious for home owner.

On default loan company can take any property/car/motorcycle or money in bank from co-signer until loan repaid for period of next 10 years.

Same as take out loan yourself but not having the item purchased.

If we can find a reliable 2nd hand car for around the 100,000 baht mark then I'll consider it. Even then I'm a bit dubious about it as 2nd hand cars tend to require a lot of repairs as various bits of them seize up.

Before buying my wife the business, I had tried giving my wife some money, (30,000 Baht), so that she had spending money of her own. (This was nearly four years ago, when cash wasn't so tight). Within a few months her family ( the sister) had borrowed the lot, never to be seen again.

Hi Murgatroyd,

You seem to be mostly on the right path, but I'd like to suggest a few things.

Firstly, and most importantly : find someone (preferably a Westerner who you can therefore speak to easily ) who knows a lot about secondhand cars and the buying thereof, and check out any prospective purchase VERY carefully. Thai people are not always diligent about maintenance. When you find one, beat the price down fairly mercilessly, as sellers usually have expectations that are too high, and every secondhand car I've bought has needed a fair bit of work within the first year of my owning it.

If the sister is giving you flak about your wife not signing for their loan, just mention the 30,000 baht they still owe you. Why should it be a gift, if originally it was a loan ? ( To be fair though, the word "loan" here, particularly in-family, means something quite different here from what it means in Western countries ).

You need to gently explain a little more to your wife that she needs to be more realistic and grown-up about certain things. My wife is quite child-like in certain ways, which is very cute and endearing, but I'm having to point out to her that her wanting to buy an expensive mobile to replace the one she dropped is really a wish for status and both unnecessary and expensive. It's taking me a while to get this concept from her subconscious to her conscious mind.

Despite Will27's post seeming a little blunt, I think that there is some truth in what he says, on some level. Your wife may not be consciously be trying to take advantage of you, but she seems to have unrealistic expectations, possibly because you have supplied her and certain family members with so much already. To re-state what many other guys have said before, Thai people often think of us Farangs as bottomless pits when it comes to money, even when we protest that we are not. _They seem to think it is all just words_.

They have to be shown when there REALLY IS a limit. Perhaps you can explain and show in very simple terms exactly what a budget is, and what happens when it is not followed. Then get a Thai person to tell her the same.

Good luck !

Edited by Latindancer