Australia Family Visa Category

Visa processing times for applications made after 2010  

2 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi everyone,

I opened this thread to find out the actual processing times for all family visas lodged at the Australian embassy in Bangkok, Jan 2010 onwards.

Please vote first, and feel free to share anything else that might be useful to others.

Cheers!

I guess we have to wait a bit before anyone clicks on the last 2 whistling.gif

That's why I said all applications from Jan2010.....

Or do you mean to say the average is way below 6 months??

Groovyc,

With the utmost of respect family visas cover so many different subclasses all with differing standard processing times that this survey is pretty much meaningless. Sorry.

Bridge

Groovyc,

With the utmost of respect family visas cover so many different subclasses all with differing standard processing times that this survey is pretty much meaningless. Sorry.

Bridge

Very good point! However, I was told that all applicants are put in the same queue (at least the PR visas?), which is why I wasn't more specific.

Please note that DIAC doesn't make any differentiation between them either.

Of course, all voters are encouraged to post more details about their specific cases...

Okay, while we're at it, let me explain what I am more interested about:

I am an Australian permanent resident, so is my wife (Thai national) who is going to give birth to our

first child in Thailand in a few months. We would like to lodge a subclass 101 child permanent visa in Bangkok.

Common sense says that this wouldn't take ages if all documents are in order, as the only thing they can 'evaluate'

about a one month old is his health. (Penal clearance for the parents obtained for our own PR application are still valid)

However, they say it will take up to 10 months! Does it take that long in reality?

Worse still, they say that we have to be in Bangkok when it is issued, while I was hoping to get it in Japan.

The mother and the baby plan to move back to Japan where we live at the moment, 2-3 months after the birth.

It seems that if we tell the embassy that the baby moved to Japan, they would transfer the application to Tokyo,

but it would go to the bottom of the queue there!

Why can't they just process the application and let us know when they have decided?

A visa label is not mandatory these days (I don't have one on my passport), and even if it is,

why can't we get it at the nearest embassy? That is how they do it for eVisa, so there is no

obvious reason why they couldn't do it for paper applications...

sorry about the rant!

' would love to hear from anyone who has been in a similar situation.