Big Trouble In Tourist Thailand: Bbc Prodution

stardancer

This Doco has just hit Australian T.V and is making Thailand not the most desired tourist destination at the moment, I know Thailand pretty well so I know it a real beat up.

BUT are the Brits that bad abroad???

250 + dead a year in Thailand ???

I lived in London for 2 1/2 years and work with 2 poms, great mates, this is nothing against Brits....

So is this BBC prodution just an attempt of reducing the problems the brits run into in thailand by making them wiser or are the brits abroad that bad?

As for that Doco I wish they would take it of air.. :realangry:

In my opinion Brits are no different than people from other nations, maybe a little more prolific, that's why they get noticed.

No, I think as far as this goes and the BBC making a story about Brits abroad, and showing them in a bad light. Well they are just playing into most people stereo typical view of Brits….It sells well.

But you also have to understand the BBC a little. The BBC is infested with 'lovies' and left wing politics,the BBC has been up to its ass in political correctness and trying to undermine the British way of life since the early 60's. They rarely miss an opportunity to knock a British white heterosexual male and not let the facts get in the way of a good kicking, and even better if the Brit is middle class.

It just seems to me from the actions of upper and middle management at the BBC, there only regret in life is that they were not black and bourn in to a ghetto somewhere! Lovies, don't you just love them.

Edited by Tonto21

I can advise the OP that the BBC is a British broadcasting corporation therefore it might be a wild stab in the woods, but i'd say their focus would be on Brits.

If a neutral programme on drunken loutish and generally ignorant ill mannered behaviour by foreigners abroad was made one needs no further than checking out the aussies on Australia Day.

I have seen the documentary and it sums up farang behaviour in Pattaya perfectly.

S.E Asia (especially Thailand) is full of lost souls from all nations.

It's not just Brits in the doc, it's focus is on the tourist police in Pattaya and the nomads they have to deal with on a daily basis.:blink:

One inappropriate post has been deleted as well as one associated reply. Apologies to the member with the reply!

Per forum rules:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Here you go .. stolen from today's news:

Over 50,000 British people are resident in Thailand or spend much of the year here. 847,000 British tourists visited Thailand last year (2010). And of the 347 deaths in the last year, 263 (over 75%) were residents, and after natural causes, the most frequent cause of death in Thailand was road traffic accidents. Other causes of death included drowning, falls from balconies and suicide.

We have had it on TV in oz about 6 months ago but it was on Foxtel (pay tv). Only now going on to mainstream TV.

I think it is about time the general public in oz saw what can really happen in Thailand (well Phuket and Pattaya anyway). I especially think the episode on the jet ski scum is very informative and a 'must watch' for anyone wishing to visit.

Here you go .. stolen from today's news:

Over 50,000 British people are resident in Thailand or spend much of the year here. 847,000 British tourists visited Thailand last year (2010). And of the 347 deaths in the last year, 263 (over 75%) were residents, and after natural causes, the most frequent cause of death in Thailand was road traffic accidents. Other causes of death included drowning, falls from balconies and suicide.

Thats amazing stats, do you happen to know the same for Australia?

This was not a BBC production, it was made by Bravo, a small satellite channel in the UK aimed at young men. The channel shows programmes that are mainly about women, drinking, sport and fighting so the programme was always going to look at the worst side of Thailand.

This was not a BBC production, it was made by Bravo, a small satellite channel in the UK aimed at young men. The channel shows programmes that are mainly about women, drinking, sport and fighting so the programme was always going to look at the worst side of Thailand.

AND ?

I met some Australians the other day on the beach. They were telling me about that documentary.

While we were speaking, we watched 4 jet ski scams happen.

They were shocked that the situation is much worse than portrayed on TV.

When I was younger, I partyed with a few Brits in Jamaica. They were a lot of fun, and it was a good time for all. However, I never heard someone talk to people like they talked to the Jamaican's. I thought, at the time, that they would get killed, but it was obvious that the Jamaicans were scared to death of them. Of course, England had previously colonized Jamaica. So it seemed as if a fear of them was in-bred in the Jamaicans. However, Thailand isn't the same, but, it seems, the Brits don't realize where they are, sometimes.

If there are 50,000 British residents in Thailand,

and assuming most are middle aged or older,

then statistically, 1.2% - 1.4% should die every year,

that's 600-700 deaths per year.

So actually the number of deaths reported there (350 per year), is very low.

AND ?

And half of the posts in this thread are irrelevant because they're assuming that this is somehow a BBC production.

These people die in Thailand why blame Thailand for their deaths. How many of the deaths could be associated with alcohol or some other drug abuse, that is the tell all stat.

or suicide, or road traffic accidents.

People prone to chronic depression are going to go at least part way down the suicide route in any country. They have support charities back home but it should not be the responsibility of other countries to set up such support just for foriegners.

As for RTA's, how many of those are due to the foreigner driving while pissed or driving like a <deleted>' lunatic or both? A lot of foreigners see Thais doing stupid things on the road and automatically assume they can too. If they die in the process is that the fault of the country or the individual?

I haven't seen the piece but it's fairly typical of the news media's output these days. Just because the NOTW has gone doesn't mean the denizons of the gutter that brought it down have gone, just moved on. The news these days is purely to seel newpapers or attract viewers and the more sensational and lurid it is the more we (the people not necessarily the individuals) want to read it.