Brits In Trouble Abroad: UK FCO Reports

webfact

British Behaviour Abroad Report

The annual British Behaviour Abroad Report was published by the British Foreign and Commonwealth Office on 4 August.

The report shows that, proportionally, British Nationals resident in, or visiting, Thailand were more likely to be arrested and admitted to hospital than in other countries.

Over 50,000 British people are resident in Thailand or spend much of the year here. 847,000 British tourists visited Thailand last year (2010). And of the 347 deaths in the last year, 263 (over 75%) were residents, and after natural causes, the most frequent cause of death in Thailand was road traffic accidents. Other causes of death included drowning, falls from balconies and suicide.

Hospitalisation overseas can entail numerous problems. For example people admitted to government run hospitals in Thailand can often have difficulty communicating with staff. As a result the patient or concerned family members in the UK contact the Embassy for assistance. And in other cases patients have no insurance, or it has been invalidated, leaving them to pay sometime very large medical and hospital bills themselves. Insurance can be invalidated by not wearing a motorbike helmet or if a motorbike’s engine was over the specified size, also through substance abuse or self harm. And often insurance has simply expired. Some hospitalisations in mental health facilities are due to drug-use causing mental illness.

The British Ambassador Asif Ahmad said, “Generally Thailand is a safe place to visit, but there are some risks as the report shows. Taking some simple steps to prevent problems can help ensure your stay in Thailand is trouble free and enjoyable. I’d encourage those thinking about visiting Thailand to have adequate travel insurance; check our Travel Advice; ensure your passport is valid and know when your visa expires; and bring enough money to enjoy your stay and make sure you have access to emergency funds in case something goes wrong.

British Nationals resident in Thailand face a variety of other issues. My Consular team is working on a project to help us better understand the issues affecting retired British Nationals living in Thailand so we can help signpost them to help available locally.”

If British Nationals need advice about a difficult situation, they will find information about what they can do to help themselves, as well as what the British Embassy can do (and what we cannot do) on our website. If they can’t find the information they need there they should telephone the British Embassy on 02305 8333.

The head of the Consular Section at the British Embassy in Bangkok, Michael Hancock, said, ‘the British Behaviour Abroad Report highlights many of the issues my team deal with on a daily basis. For example, in one day in June, we:

Sadly dealt with 4 new deaths, and 9 other recent death cases. There were 4 hospitalisations, one mental illness case, three ongoing parental child abduction cases, 7 ongoing arrest / detention cases. The following evening there were three more Road Traffic Accident deaths.

Three prison officers from a London prison arrived to prepare to transfer a British prisoner to the UK under the UK/Thai Prisoner Transfer Agreement. A consular officer visited the Immigration Detention Centre to visit 6 British Nationals detained there. Our Honorary Consuls also conducted prison visits.

We issued 3 Emergency Travel Documents, 7 people visited the Embassy in need of advice on welfare, 59 people visited the consular counter for documentary services (e.g. certifying copies of passports), we received 157 emails from customers, 251 phone calls from customers, 2 emergency out of hours calls.

Foreign Office releases figures on Brits in trouble overseas

The number of Britons arrested overseas has fallen by over 10%, but despite this positive trend Foreign Office staff still handled 5,700 arrest cases last year.

Though down by 20% overall, Drug arrests continue to be a significant problem for some countries, particularly parts of South America and the Caribbean where a high proportion of total arrests are drug related.

Foreign Office Minister David Lidington said:

“We work hard to warn British nationals about the consequences of breaking the law abroad so it is really encouraging to see the overall number of cases of arrests and drug arrests falling. But last year there were still 5700 arrests of British nationals overseas. Prison conditions in some parts of the world can be very poor, overcrowded and, in some cases, dangerous and sentences can be much tougher than in the UK. People are mistaken if they think the Foreign Office can get you out of jail. We can’t, but we will work hard to try and ensure your safety, and that you get a fair trial.”

Foreign Office research reveals that:

43% of 18-24 year olds know someone who has taken illegal drugs whilst abroad. It also showed that two thirds of people in Britain don’t always find out about the laws of the country they are visiting before they go abroad – putting themselves at risk of unknowingly breaking the law.

nearly a third (32%) of people are not aware that they will always be prosecuted under local law if they break the law abroad - with 6% of people thinking they will be prosecuted under UK law, 22% thinking it depends on the country they are in and 4% admitted to not knowing at all.

Aside from arrests, the British Behaviour Abroad report published today shows that the number of Brits hospitalised abroad has increased to 3,752 cases, despite fewer people from the UK travelling abroad last year. Medical treatment abroad can be very expensive and to avoid being faced with large bills if taken ill or after having an accident, the Foreign Office is urging people to take out a comprehensive travel insurance policy before they go away this summer. Previous research suggests that 15% of Britons travel abroad uninsured.

Other key findings:

Spain continues to be the country where most Britons require assistance (4,971 cases) but when you take visitor and resident numbers into account, you are most likely to need consular assistance in the Philippines, Thailand and Pakistan.

The number of rape cases in Greece almost halved since 2009-10 from 27 to 15, although the numbers of sexual assault cases rose significantly

The number of Brits hospitalised abroad has increased with Spain handling the most cases (1,024) followed by Greece. Proportionally Brits are most likely to be hospitalised in Thailand

In total Foreign Office staff handled 19,228 serious consular cases last year

View the full report (PDF) http://www.fco.gov.uk/resources/en/pdf/consular-bba2011

Source:

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=639222082'>http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=News&id=639222082

http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=PressR&id=640040982'>http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk/en/news/?view=PressR&id=640040982

-- http://ukinthailand.fco.gov.uk 2011-08-05

footer_n.gif

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

'customers'

say it all really

15 years ago in the UK we had to refer to students as "customers" and "clients"... really stuck in the craw... and they're still at it.

That said I am suprised by the reports frindings.

i don't think the figures for other western Nationalities would be that much different. In an age of mass travel, there are still some people that really shouldn't!

I guess Mr Asif Ahmad is going to come in for grief every time his name is mentioned for the foreseeable future, but for the record and having met him, he is a a former businessman who was a late entrant to the diplomatic service and was based at the FCO in London advising embassies throughout SEA. He earned his spurs in the field during the monk riots in Burma last year when Britain ended up without an ambassador when we really needed one and Mr. Ahmad was sent to fulfil the role.

He is a typical diplomat - says nice things without ever promising anything. He is intelligent and articulate. As a Moslem Briton of I believe, Bangladeshi origin, he doesn't drink, though he seems to have no problem being in the company of those of us that do! He is a decent representative of modern Briton. Unlike our former ambassador, the hugely likeable, Mr Quentin Quayle, I would guess he is unlikely to quit and join Beer Chang!!!

He's got a difficult job to do representing Britain - and especially Britons in Thailand and the sooner we can quit the 'Paki Bashing' stage and get on with supporting him the better for all of us!

'customers'

say it all really

15 years ago in the UK we had to refer to students as "customers" and "clients"... really stuck in the craw... and they're still at it.

WE ALL read the bit that said make sure your passport is not invalid--Ha Ha............where do we go to get a new one HONG KONG ????................because you want to take care of your Thai -Brits.....your too busy doing less important things I suppose................Why don't you do something to help, like comment frequently about visa runs to the Thai authorities, no increment increases on OAP pensions, Get back your passport desk, and put in a few more hours, I had to do when I worked for the FCO. But you have absolute power have you???

i don't think the figures for other western Nationalities would be that much different. In an age of mass travel, there are still some people that really shouldn't!

I guess Mr Asif Ahmad is going to come in for grief every time his name is mentioned for the foreseeable future, but for the record and having met him, he is a a former businessman who was a late entrant to the diplomatic service and was based at the FCO in London advising embassies throughout SEA. He earned his spurs in the field during the monk riots in Burma last year when Britain ended up without an ambassador when we really needed one and Mr. Ahmad was sent to fulfil the role.

He is a typical diplomat - says nice things without ever promising anything. He is intelligent and articulate. As a Moslem Briton of I believe, Bangladeshi origin, he doesn't drink, though he seems to have no problem being in the company of those of us that do! He is a decent representative of modern Briton. Unlike our former ambassador, the hugely likeable, Mr Quentin Quayle, I would guess he is unlikely to quit and join Beer Chang!!!

He's got a difficult job to do representing Britain - and especially Britons in Thailand and the sooner we can quit the 'Paki Bashing' stage and get on with supporting him the better for all of us!

I thought he was from Bangladesh :D

Guess we will soon have a PM called Abdul Mohhamed Singh :blink:

DK

'customers'

say it all really

WE ALL read the bit that said make sure your passport is not invalid--Ha Ha............where do we go to get a new one HONG KONG ????................because you want to take care of your Thai -Brits.....your too busy doing less important things I suppose................Why don't you do something to help, like comment frequently about visa runs to the Thai authorities, no increment increases on OAP pensions, Get back your passport desk, and put in a few more hours, I had to do when I worked for the FCO. But you have absolute power have you???

Bit early for the Chang isnt it........ but trust you a feeling a little better after you little rant.. :whistling:

DK

i thought he was from "Bradistan" !

DK

i thought he was from "Bradistan" !

Or Birmengistan :D

DK

Nice to see a Millwall fan being so reasonable.....

Very well said.

Thank You !!!

philw

Very well said.

Thank You !!!

philw

Yeah well said.

Amazing that so many people complain on TV post incessantly about the Thais being xenophobic in their treatment of westerners (visa runs, double pricing etc.). but when the opportunity arises to show their own racist tendencies they hop on the band wagon quite merrily.

To right! It's not the likes of Mr. Ahmad who make me ashamed to be British it's the racist slurs and digs that i regularly see on TV aimed at the poor man based solely on his origins and not his performance. Why these racist fools move to South East Asia to be surrounded by Asians is beyond me. Mind you they tend to be the same types who are constantly moaning about Thailand. All I can say is that this country has always treated me well.

I think the name and origins of the Ambassador is unimportant as long as he is competent , but even then he is restricted by what the Foreign & Commonwealth Office will allow him to do . It was not the Ambassador that gave the original instruction that services such as Visas , Passports etc should be outsourced , it was the FCO . They are more concerned with commerce and money than providing service to British citizens . The recent example of the 'feckless Briton' is a good one to show their lack of concern except for their own image , after all , they did nothing then told the man to say nothing . I only hope , living in Thailand , I do not need assistance from them . A swim with concrete boots might be preferable.

Edited by williamp

Back on track with the original article.... British Behaviour Abroad Report ......

I've lived abroad for over 30 yrs. and worked / dealt with folks of all nationalities. Britons have appeared to be at times, as intolerant as some of my fellow countrymen though in a more "polite" (re: sarky) manner. That is a very important key word - intolerant. "We may have lost the battle but we're still British" is a quote that has rung sharp dozens of times in my travels. My implication is directed at the "middle class to upper class" especially. And now .... the barrage of retorts....

I have been informed that ""Mr. Ahmad and his wife have imposed a strict Muslim regime within the Embassy compound in Bangkok and British Breakfasts are served to guests with no pork products. When I challenged him about this, saying it was hardly British and why should he impose his strict Muslim minority values on us Brits he simply said "you better get used to it, nothing will change whilst I'm here" He's simply a career diplomat. Spent 14 years as a banker then joined the FCO, hopping up the career ladder at every available opportunity. He also knows how to ride the extreme political correctness wave to his every advantage"". That simply is not cricket old boy!

British Behaviour Abroad Report highlights many of the issues my team deal with on a daily basis. For example, in one day in June, we:

Sadly dealt with 4 new deaths, and 9 other recent death cases. There were 4 hospitalisations, one mental illness case, three ongoing parental child abduction cases, 7 ongoing arrest / detention cases. The following evening there were three more Road Traffic Accident deaths.

Three prison officers from a London prison arrived to prepare to transfer a British prisoner to the UK under the UK/Thai Prisoner Transfer Agreement. A consular officer visited the Immigration Detention Centre to visit 6 British Nationals detained there. Our Honorary Consuls also conducted prison visits.

sad.gif

To right! It's not the likes of Mr. Ahmad who make me ashamed to be British it's the racist slurs and digs that i regularly see on TV aimed at the poor man based solely on his origins and not his performance. Why these racist fools move to South East Asia to be surrounded by Asians is beyond me. Mind you they tend to be the same types who are constantly moaning about Thailand. All I can say is that this country has always treated me well.

Sheesh Loosen up a bit its just alaff and I sure Mr Asif is a stand up chap but the truth is to many Brits its kinda strange having the head of a UK entitie named Asif Ahmed .

You will never see it in a Muslim country so why so susprised people find it strange in the UK

Anyway loosen up it was more of a laugh than a racist comment :blink: hell my wife is black LOL I cant be racist

Dk

I have been informed that ""Mr. Ahmad and his wife have imposed a strict Muslim regime within the Embassy compound in Bangkok and British Breakfasts are served to guests with no pork products. When I challenged him about this, saying it was hardly British and why should he impose his strict Muslim minority values on us Brits he simply said "you better get used to it, nothing will change whilst I'm here" He's simply a career diplomat. Spent 14 years as a banker then joined the FCO, hopping up the career ladder at every available opportunity. He also knows how to ride the extreme political correctness wave to his every advantage"". That simply is not cricket old boy!

Rubbish post, full of typical xenophobic stereotyping.

No more champagne cocktails and Pims either....... the consular staff must be spewing, Is smoked Salmon Halal ? Thai Embassy in BKK no longer a soft posting....:lol:

Whats next at the BE in BKK....Burqa's for all the female staff ?

Edited by Soutpeel

Rubbish post,

YEAH complete rubbish you cant call it an English Breakfast if it aint got Pork in it :lol:

Thats a bit of Brit humor to those that are too uptight to read into it te real intent which is humor :D

No more champagne cocktails and Pims either....... the consular staff must be spewing, Is smoked Salmon Halal ? Thai Embassy in BKK no longer a soft posting....:lol:

Whats next at the BE in BKK....Burqa's for all the female staff ?

the British Embassy will be a mosque within a year !