Taxi Situation Update

But if you think lowering prices by half for instance would double of triple the turnover you are wrong. Because the other local condition is that almost all locals have scooters or know somebody who can drive them so the taxi market is basically for the foreigners only. And the prices are still way cheaper than in foreign countries.

I couldn't disagree more. In the past 4 years I've spent about 2.5 of that on Samui. I don't drive a car or ride a motorbike. When I had a taxi bike guy who I used a lot and trusted I would get around a lot. When he left, I didn't. I avoided going to Chaweng from Bangrak because the taxi there and back would have cost up to 1000 baht. Everyone who lives there knows people who drink and drive. I would estimate among the expat population that this number would be cut down 90% if taxis were reasonbly priced. So you could say that dishonest and overcharging taxis are a direct cause of the dangerous drunk drivers on the island.

And the prices are still cheaper in other countries isn't even true. I lived in Dubai and the taxis were cheaper than on Samui. The starting price was about 30-60 EEK depending if you called or took from the street.. The ride to my office was 7.6 km and cost 18 AED ($5 US or 150 baht). That's the eqiuv of leaving Samui airport, going to the lake road, then to Chaweng Beach road, all the way down turning past Springer Pub, on to the Ring Road and then half way to Lamai.

the prices in koh samui sound the same as in the uk, bali sanur to kuta 70,000idr =£5 that is a long ride to

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is not one of the problems the amount of taxis on Samui? 4 years ago it was half the price it is now, obviously the old rule, less customers higher prices comes to mind.

But sooner rather than later would it not be time to reduce the amount of taxis and then prices might be more reasonable and drivers happier with their lot ?

Is not one of the problems the amount of taxis on Samui? 4 years ago it was half the price it is now, obviously the old rule, less customers higher prices comes to mind.

But sooner rather than later would it not be time to reduce the amount of taxis and then prices might be more reasonable and drivers happier with their lot ?

something sound like its got to give cause not many people are using them because of the prices and the hassle of using them,people would rather use hotel transport and not cause its cheaper but cause its less hassle.

Avoid the taxis if you can. You will not find an honest one.

What a pathetic statement! The reason why the taxis on Samui cost what they do is not that there are no "honest one(s)" here but:

1. The price of cars in Thaialnd is higher than in most Western countries.

2. The cost of gas is on par with Australia, Singapore, more expensive than USA and less than Europe. So very global price.

3. The roads in Samui are crap and that badly impacts on car maintenance costs, including flat tyres and broken shock-absorbers.

4. Places like Samui or Phuket are much less congested than Bkk and taxis have to charge return fee since in 95% of cases they will be coming back empty from where they delivered their passengers.

5. Because of relatively high taxi fares (comparing with Bkk only) Thais hardly use taxis here making their customer base even smaller.

Get real! Compare taxi prices in Australia, UK, USA and Samui and stop winging! Or if you really think taxis are a rip-off here buy yourself one and start an "honest" taxi business and see what money YOU can make out of it. And what prices will YOU be happy driving around for. I bet you would be most expensive taxi on the island very shortly!

I have no idea how you come to your conclusions and reasoning, since most of youre pints don't hold.

Point 1 and 2 are the same point but is to a degree irrelevant to cab drivers on Samui since they rent the car and need to pay a fixed amount per day, anything over that amount is theirs.

Point 3, no cab driver on Samui bases his price on how many flat tyres or broken shock absorbers they have in a year. That would be price basing way above their head and once they figure this out, they will start to use the meter since by that time they figured out that they would actually make more money by using the meter.

Point 4 Cab drivers do not turn back from where they came, they hang out on Samui where they dropped off their last load or drive nerve wreckingly slow in front of you to avoid losing a customer who wants to flag them down. Maybe late at night they might return emtpy if they had a trip to Baan Taling Ngaam. Plenty of examples have been given in this thread to proof you wrong on this one.

Point 5 Correct, Thais use Songthaews a lot, they have fixed prices and every Thai will know these prices. There's hardly any need for a local to use a metered taxi.

In short, taxi meters are a disgrace to this island and shame on the powers that be that let them rule like they do. It seems that somebody very high up is having enough power and grease to keep this malpractice going.

But if you think lowering prices by half for instance would double of triple the turnover you are wrong. Because the other local condition is that almost all locals have scooters or know somebody who can drive them so the taxi market is basically for the foreigners only. And the prices are still way cheaper than in foreign countries.

I couldn't disagree more. In the past 4 years I've spent about 2.5 of that on Samui. I don't drive a car or ride a motorbike. When I had a taxi bike guy who I used a lot and trusted I would get around a lot. When he left, I didn't. I avoided going to Chaweng from Bangrak because the taxi there and back would have cost up to 1000 baht. Everyone who lives there knows people who drink and drive. I would estimate among the expat population that this number would be cut down 90% if taxis were reasonbly priced. So you could say that dishonest and overcharging taxis are a direct cause of the dangerous drunk drivers on the island.

And the prices are still cheaper in other countries isn't even true. I lived in Dubai and the taxis were cheaper than on Samui. The starting price was about 30-60 EEK depending if you called or took from the street.. The ride to my office was 7.6 km and cost 18 AED ($5 US or 150 baht). That's the eqiuv of leaving Samui airport, going to the lake road, then to Chaweng Beach road, all the way down turning past Springer Pub, on to the Ring Road and then half way to Lamai.

The regular price from Bangrak to Chaweng is 300 THB. But of course if you pick the first taxi and agree to the first requested price it may be much more.

I don't know about taxi prices in Dubai, but what's the cost of petrol there? Isn't it way cheaper than water by any chance?

I said that regular taxi fares at Samui are still cheaper than at many countries with similar cost of cars and petrol and I stand by this statement. I don't condone or defend violent or dishonest taxi drivers or the system that could be made more transparent and user-friendly. My point is, again, that Samui is not Bkk and we shall not expect Samui's taxis to cost the same. While Samui's prices are much higher they are still reasonable, providing one doesn't pay through the nose.

What a pathetic statement! The reason why the taxis on Samui cost what they do is not that there are no "honest one(s)" here but:

2. The cost of gas is on par with Australia, Singapore, more expensive than USA and less than Europe. So very global price.

3. The roads in Samui are crap and that badly impacts on car maintenance costs, including flat tyres and broken shock-absorbers.

4. Places like Samui or Phuket are much less congested than Bkk and taxis have to charge return fee since in 95% of cases they will be coming back empty from where they delivered their passengers.

5. Because of relatively high taxi fares (comparing with Bkk only) Thais hardly use taxis here making their customer base even smaller.

Get real! Compare taxi prices in Australia, UK, USA and Samui and stop winging! Or if you really think taxis are a rip-off here buy yourself one and start an "honest" taxi business and see what money YOU can make out of it. And what prices will YOU be happy driving around for. I bet you would be most expensive taxi on the island very shortly!

I have no idea how you come to your conclusions and reasoning, since most of youre pints don't hold.

Point 1 and 2 are the same point but is to a degree irrelevant to cab drivers on Samui since they rent the car and need to pay a fixed amount per day, anything over that amount is theirs.

How can the cost of cars and petrol be irrelevant to taxi pricing??? Even if drivers don't bear these costs they are a part of the "fixed amount per day" that they have to pay to car owners no?

Point 3, no cab driver on Samui bases his price on how many flat tyres or broken shock absorbers they have in a year. That would be price basing way above their head and once they figure this out, they will start to use the meter since by that time they figured out that they would actually make more money by using the meter.

The condition of the Samui roads and higher costs of car repairs here are also part of the calculation when it comes down to taxi fares. It's got to be at any place in the world and arguing otherwise is totally unreasonable.

Point 4 Cab drivers do not turn back from where they came, they hang out on Samui where they dropped off their last load or drive nerve wreckingly slow in front of you to avoid losing a customer who wants to flag them down. Maybe late at night they might return emtpy if they had a trip to Baan Taling Ngaam. Plenty of examples have been given in this thread to proof you wrong on this one.

So you are saying that in the middle of a day, the taxi driver can count on a return customer or any other customer FROM Taling Ngaam? Why don't you test this theory, take a drive there and see for yourself how long would you need to wait? My bet is: if you lucky, you could pick the same customer back after they boat trip ends 6 hours later.

Point 5 Correct, Thais use Songthaews a lot, they have fixed prices and every Thai will know these prices. There's hardly any need for a local to use a metered taxi.

In short, taxi meters are a disgrace to this island and shame on the powers that be that let them rule like they do. It seems that somebody very high up is having enough power and grease to keep this malpractice going.

I agree that the taxi system could be made much smoother and easier on the tourists. Unfortunately the people "high up" relay on voting power of various groups like taxi mafia or jet-ski mafia to get voted into office. And what can we do to try to change THAT?

Edited by notime

something sound like its got to give cause not many people are using them because of the prices and the hassle of using them,people would rather use hotel transport and not cause its cheaper but cause its less hassle.

I once booked friends into a hotel because they offered airport transport.

The regular price from Bangrak to Chaweng is 300 THB. But of course if you pick the first taxi and agree to the first requested price it may be much more.

I don't know about taxi prices in Dubai, but what's the cost of petrol there? Isn't it way cheaper than water by any chance?

I said that regular taxi fares at Samui are still cheaper than at many countries with similar cost of cars and petrol and I stand by this statement. I don't condone or defend violent or dishonest taxi drivers or the system that could be made more transparent and user-friendly. My point is, again, that Samui is not Bkk and we shall not expect Samui's taxis to cost the same. While Samui's prices are much higher they are still reasonable, providing one doesn't pay through the nose.

1) 300 baht and you can negotiate prices? From the airport? The Samui Airport? In Thailand? Well, if that's true then they have changed. Not long ago the prices were posted and non-negotiable. If you wanted to negotiate, you had to walk out to the road and pick a taxi up from there.

2) Yes, the cost of petrol is cheaper in Dubai I'm sure. But that can be one freakishly expensive place and they do not give bargain taxi rates because fuel is cheaper. In just about any country I've been to there is a minimal starting charge on a taxi for the first kilometer or so and that is always way, way less than anything you could get on Samui. Do you live on Samui? Judging by your defense of the taxi situation I doubt that you do. But by the off chance you do, please try to get a taxi to take you 500m in the direction he is already heading for 100 baht. If you try and tell us you succeeded, then I'll know you don't live on Samui. :)

3) Refusing to use the meter is not being reasonable. The Samui taxi "mafia" needs to be run out of town and replaced with honest people.

I agree that the taxi system could be made much smoother and easier on the tourists. Unfortunately the people "high up" relay on voting power of various groups like taxi mafia or jet-ski mafia to get voted into office. And what can we do to try to change THAT?

<deleted>? They are worried about the taxi mafia and jetski mafia VOTES? You're just trolling now.

How can the cost of cars and petrol be irrelevant to taxi pricing??? Even if drivers don't bear these costs they are a part of the "fixed amount per day" that they have to pay to car owners no?

The condition of the Samui roads and higher costs of car repairs here are also part of the calculation when it comes down to taxi fares. It's got to be at any place in the world and arguing otherwise is totally unreasonable.

So you are saying that in the middle of a day, the taxi driver can count on a return customer or any other customer FROM Taling Ngaam? Why don't you test this theory, take a drive there and see for yourself how long would you need to wait? My bet is: if you lucky, you could pick the same customer back after they boat trip ends 6 hours later.

taxis are charging the same price as the uk if not more yet the cost of petrol here is the dearest in the world in the uk there is no justification what so ever for the prices to be so high yet you still try to justifies it,you are taxi driver or someone that makes money from it.and i must ask why it there no tuk-tuks on the island? is it cause there would be cheaper to use?

Edited by doingok

<deleted>? They are worried about the taxi mafia and jetski mafia VOTES? You're just trolling now.

I'm not trolling here at all. I know these people and my information is near "first hand"! The problem is that most people on Samui don't vote. There is little of civil society here. It's therefore that any big families or other groups of people like policemen, taxi drivers or Jet-ski operators who employ a lot of helpers wield a lot of political power. This may be hard to believe for an outsider but just think, why the taxi situation or jet-ski situation (scams) don't ever get resolved by higher authorities here even though they create problems for tourism?

I do live on the island for 5 years and deal with tourists and taxis every day. The "taxi situation" could be improved but, again, there is lots more to it than just the taxi mafia fixing unseasonable prices.

I dind't say the taxi from the airport to Chaweng is 300 THB, which is 500 THB that IS high, but that taxi fare from Bangrak, that is actually further than the airport, to Chaweng is 300 THB. Official prices from the airport ARE higher than regular prices around the island but that is not unlike many other places in the world where the airport taxi business is for some reasons considered "cream on the cake".

I'm not trolling here at all. I know these people and my information is near "first hand"! The problem is that most people on Samui don't vote. There is little of civil society here. It's therefore that any big families or other groups of people like policemen, taxi drivers or Jet-ski operators who employ a lot of helpers wield a lot of political power. This may be hard to believe for an outsider but just think, why the taxi situation or jet-ski situation (scams) don't ever get resolved by higher authorities here even though they create problems for tourism?

Because they are corrupt and get a piece of the action. One thing you must know about Thailand/Samui after 5 years is that if you cut off a Thai's way of illegally making money you'll probably end up dead.

I do live on the island for 5 years and deal with tourists and taxis every day. The "taxi situation" could be improved but, again, there is lots more to it than just the taxi mafia fixing unseasonable prices.

I dind't say the taxi from the airport to Chaweng is 300 THB, which is 500 THB that IS high, but that taxi fare from Bangrak, that is actually further than the airport, to Chaweng is 300 THB. Official prices from the airport ARE higher than regular prices around the island but that is not unlike many other places in the world where the airport taxi business is for some reasons considered "cream on the cake".

well you are right about airport taxis being higher in other country's but i have just book a transfer from my hotel in lamui for 400baht and happy at that cause it is just to much hassle

Edited by doingok

but i have just book a transfer from my hotel in lamui for 400baht and happy at that cause it is just to much hassle

And an OK price too. It is the simplest way - a little guy (hopefully smiling) will be here to greet you and whisk you off to the hotel. And besides, when you come out of baggage reclaim and are accosted by very pretty young things asking if you need a hotel or a taxi, you can just sail through with a "no thank you". (And maybe under your breath say "not on your life you thieving bast##ds"):lol:

but i have just book a transfer from my hotel in lamui for 400baht and happy at that cause it is just to much hassle

And an OK price too. It is the simplest way - a little guy (hopefully smiling) will be here to greet you and whisk you off to the hotel. And besides, when you come out of baggage reclaim and are accosted by very pretty young things asking if you need a hotel or a taxi, you can just sail through with a "no thank you". (And maybe under your breath say "not on your life you thieving bast##ds"):lol:

lol can get your hands off my wallet lol

some friends and I used to use the cops in the booth at the FV junction in bophut.

300 baht would get me to lamai, usually with a stop at a gas station along the way to fill up with the newly acquired funds. mind you this was 5 years ago. But we did it regularly over the course of a year.

1. Bangrak is not further from the airport than Chaweng.

2. 300 baht is extortionate for either destination from the airport, baring in mind if the taxi was "LEGAL WITH THE METER TURNED ON".

You are posting incorrect information. Your comments are also a real slap in the face to the honest taxi drivers around the country that turn their meters on.. It should also be added for the benefit of guests reading here, gleaning info about thailand, that it is not common practice across the country to not turn on the meter and charge these hugely inflated prices.

Edited by carmine

1. Bangrak is not further from the airport than Chaweng.

2. 300 baht is extortionate for either destination from the airport, baring in mind if the taxi was "LEGAL WITH THE METER TURNED ON".

You are posting incorrect information. Your comments are also a real slap in the face to the honest taxi drivers around the country that turn their meters on.. It should also be added for the benefit of guests reading here, gleaning info about thailand, that it is not common practice across the country to not turn on the meter and charge these hugely inflated prices.

well more posts deleted? so i will say again if we find it to expensive the stay here we will just move on as we are here from 6 months and there is plenty of nice beaches been told chumphon is nice to might head there if not happy on samui but only time will tell?

This confirms exactly what I've been saying all along. The regular taxi fare from Lamai to Chaweng (7km by the up-and-down, winding coastal road) is also 400 THB. With a bit of negotiating this will also make the taxi go from Lamai to the airport that is just off Chaweng. Not as inexpensive as Bkk but also not a "terrible rip-off" that some would like to call Samui taxi fares.

This confirms exactly what I've been saying all along.

Does it?

It confirms to me that the THB 400 the hotel is charging is AT LEAST THB 200 LOWER than the Airport Taxi service or the regular Taxis on the island. And still making money! They wouldn't do it otherwise. Not all hotels have a service like this, but they somehow manage to get their guests to check in. So I don't believe it is necessarily a loss maker just to entice people to use their hotel.

My point was that the price was fair - relative to the alternatives. I didn't say it was good.:rolleyes:

Does it?

It confirms to me that the THB 400 the hotel is charging is AT LEAST THB 200 LOWER than the Airport Taxi service or the regular Taxis on the island. And still making money! They wouldn't do it otherwise. Not all hotels have a service like this, but they somehow manage to get their guests to check in. So I don't believe it is necessarily a loss maker just to entice people to use their hotel.

My point was that the price was fair - relative to the alternatives. I didn't say it was good.:rolleyes:

The 400 THB IS the regular taxi price from Lamai to Chaweng and it should also work to the airport. How many times do I have to write this? Maybe the confusion is between regular taxi fares in Samui and taxi fares FROM THE AIRPORT that are higher? I also think airport prices are inflated, I don't like that, but I pointed out earlier that this is not unlike many other places in the world that do that. It's possible to walk out 80m from the arrival hall and negotiate the regular taxi price in the street outside that doesn't have a sign with "fixed airport taxi prices".

Does it?

The 400 THB IS the regular taxi price from Lamai to Chaweng and it should also work to the airport. How many times do I have to write this? Maybe the confusion is between regular taxi fares in Samui and taxi fares FROM THE AIRPORT that are higher? I also think airport prices are inflated, I don't like that, but I pointed out earlier that this is not unlike many other places in the world that do that. It's possible to walk out 80m from the arrival hall and negotiate the regular taxi price in the street outside that doesn't have a sign with "fixed airport taxi prices".

Still missing the point that there is no "fixed taxi price". They are all fitted with meters and should be using them. If they did the fare even with a 50 Baht airport surcharge would be 120 Baht.

That's not 400 or 600 Baht now is it? And if the Bamgkok taxis can survive on that I don't see any difference at all.

Does it?

Yes that is the price and its a total rip off. If they used their meters as you and i both know they should the price would be in the region of 150/200 baht which is a fair price for both the driver and the passenger.

No meter on then don't use them. Afterall, it is the law.

Edited by carmine

The 400 THB IS the regular taxi price from Lamai to Chaweng and it should also work to the airport. How many times do I have to write this?

OK, I understand your point, but through my own experiences I have to disagree. Bophut to the Airport ..... the minimum I have paid is THB 450. Only round the bl##dy corner!! I have not tried to get a taxi in Lamai to Chaweng. I doubt that it is 400, and I also doubt that they would go just a little further for the same amount. If I am wrong I apologise. I have no idea how you negotiate; it seems you are pretty good at!:lol:

Hahaha .. you just don't pay them what they initially ask for. It helps to know what the "regular prices" are but if you let the first taxi go, and maybe the second, you are soon to discover what is the price that they DON'T want to go for and what is the price that makes it.

Smokie36 .. I tried to explain before many differences that I see between Bkk and Samui. Your "point" that all taxis in the country should use Bkk rates is just not valid. The point that taxis should use meters in Samui may be valid, at rates reflecting Samui's circumstances, but is wishful thinking. They should not smoke in a/c bars and clubs as there is a Thai law against it but they do. This is Thailand and there many laws that are either not enforced or not enforceable.

The taxi system in Samui works on private car charter bases. It is up to the passenger and taxi driver to negotiate the price. If the price offered is covering taxi's costs and driver's wages no taxi will refuse it because of competition. Even if lots of them would love to "charge exorbitant rates" they are unable to do that because of many other taxis being available. So, don't pay through the nose, but also remember that Samui's not Bkk and the taxi costs and fares are higher here.