Shut Up, Shut Up!

canuckamuck

leo12345's on the money.

With so many fa lang builders in Thailand,,,Why o why do fa langs still insist on having there dream home built by a friend of a friend or a uncle or member of there teeraks family.

Guessing a 'fa lang' is Welsh for farang?

Well I am learning a lot about builders on this thread, and I appreciate that. but mainly my point was about translated conversations in general, not about how to get your house built.

I think Trembly's response is what I needed to hear. But I still need to learn how to finesse an interjection and not sound too rude. It is my Canadian politeness that gets in the way sometime. Maybe if I carried a hockey stick I would be more comfortable being assertive.

Well I am learning a lot about builders on this thread, and I appreciate that. but mainly my point was about translated conversations in general, not about how to get your house built.

I think Trembly's response is what I needed to hear. But I still need to learn how to finesse an interjection and not sound too rude. It is my Canadian politeness that gets in the way sometime. Maybe if I carried a hockey stick I would be more comfortable being assertive.

"And why don't Thai people understand that during translation you have to wait until the answer has been responded to and translated back before you speak again?"

Okay. You are using the word translator. They are not the same thing. A translator converts written language.An interpreter spoken. The only successful way to interpret is simultaneous interpretation. This is a very difficult skill to learn and requires cooperation from all parties, something you are not likely to get from your builder. True interpretation, rapid back and forth is not easy even for pros, and most bilinguals can not do it, they end up in a conversation. If your wife is not truly proficient in both languages, including technical terms and concepts, it's not going to happen. Especially since she is unwilling, sweet girl, to be firm which might be considered impolite.

My girlfriend can do it. She will hold up her hand, smile, say wait a moment and then speak to me. After a few rounds of this, some people will catch on and work with us, others can not (mentally) or are simply too impatient to allow it.

They don't wait for the translation because:

1. they don't care what you have to say, or

2. they are impatient, or

3. they are not sharp enough mentally

"Of course people will reply that I should get better at Thai."

Nope, wouldn't matter. I spoke very fluent Spanish including technical terms, had built a few houses before, and the one I built in Mexico was little different in experience than the one I'm building here. They want to do it their way, they know it's best and even when they say yes, they are thinking no. That's not being pessimistic, it's realistic. You have a hard row to hoe. Compromise is the best solution: allow some things that you don't like but can live with, but others, like safety issues, put your foot down.

Or, see if you can get him to build a simple brick wall, about 4 feet wide x 7 feet high. Then when you have the urge to discuss something with him again, just bang your head against it and get it over with.

EDIT: Take a look at this site and you will see what you are up against.

http://www.ricintl.c...n-services.html

Edited by happyrobert