Shouting At A Local In Anger

mca

Can you speak Thai fluently?

Did you actually say, Diesel or the diesen?

My own personal definition of fluent is speaking a language to the level of a native so no, I'm not fluent. But, false modesty aside ,my Thai language skills are very good. About the only time I need clarification is when a technical term or the like that I haven't come across before is used. In those cases an explanation in Thai of the meaning puts me on the right track.

Edited by mca

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Last week i lost the plot big style,i could have killed actualy and it scared me,thought i was 20 again.

Walking down a road and a huge pit bull comes runnign across the road to attack me,i shit myself nearly and screamed at the dog and got my baseball cap out and swiped it in the face.Across the road it seems like the whole family was out,watching this so called pet,ready to put his huge fangs in my leg,and not one would shout it or come to help me.I was screaming at them and was ready to jump on the roof of a car,but my legs were like jelly and i couldnt move.The dog was lunging at me with his teeth bared all the time,and i was swiping with my cap.Eventualy they started to shout at this creature and he left me.I wanted to go across the road but was scared of the dog,and the son was hitting it with a metal pole.Honestly,i could have gone across and killed the whole family,i went ballistic and i have never been in this position in Thailand.Regrets,not on your life

Last week i lost the plot big style,i could have killed actualy and it scared me,thought i was 20 again.

Walking down a road and a huge pit bull comes runnign across the road to attack me,i shit myself nearly and screamed at the dog and got my baseball cap out and swiped it in the face.Across the road it seems like the whole family was out,watching this so called pet,ready to put his huge fangs in my leg,and not one would shout it or come to help me.I was screaming at them and was ready to jump on the roof of a car,but my legs were like jelly and i couldnt move.The dog was lunging at me with his teeth bared all the time,and i was swiping with my cap.Eventualy they started to shout at this creature and he left me.I wanted to go across the road but was scared of the dog,and the son was hitting it with a metal pole.Honestly,i could have gone across and killed the whole family,i went ballistic and i have never been in this position in Thailand.Regrets,not on your life

Sorry to hear about your incident, a big Pit running towards you is indeed scarey. I find it very unlikely it would run across the road and just attack you for no reason, Pit Bulls are generally only dog agressive, not human agressive. If that was the case then the onwners are clearly to blame for lack of knowledge about the breed and how to train it properly, you cannot blame the dog. I have had Pit Bulls for years and it's the only breed i would ever own. All to oftne they get a bad wrap!!!!

JH

Yeah, but when I do it, I regret it. Not because they didn't deserve it but because it always backfires. What works in New York, bombs in Bangkok.

I have seen Thais do this to other Thais and get better results so I don't believe the BS that Thais never get hot or that it can never work for them. But it simply not acceptable for a foreigner to do that at a Thai.

I'd agree with JT on this. Whe a foreiner loses it it and starts shouting they are on a hiding to nothing. better to button it and move on

I find it gets things done.

I have done it....much worse than the OP....certainly not sorry for it as it was deserved......I am not Thai so I do not have the issues they have with keeping their cool and all that associated bullshit.

I think I have only ever lost my temper with a local once.

I was just leaving some Thai friends in Bangkok and jumping in a taxi and my Thai friend told the driver to put the taxi meter on. I also informed him to do this. However he sped off and didn't put the taxi meter on. I didn't notice for about 5 minutes, but when I did I sternly said "I said put the taxi meter on!" He just laughed at me and muttered something in Thai under his breath and then started speeding up down the road. As soon as this started happening I felt really uneasy and quite frightened so I raised my voice at him. More than anything I raised my voice out of fear rather than anger and he just laughed at me and then when I finally got to my destination, the driver was demanding I pay him double than what I normally pay. I refused and got angry with him. In turn, he got very irate and grabbed me by the neck. I know there is a theory that Thais don't like losing face and I was aware that I potentially putting myself in more danger. However the destination I was at was a Thai friend's house and he came out and had a go at the taxi driver in Thai. The whole thing left me really shaken up and I hated being left in the house alone, I had this fear that the taxi driver would come back as he knew my address. I thought he would come back and 'get me back' kind of thing.

^

Again, an example of 'face' being used as an excuse. The guy was clearly just a tosser.

Very true. I have learnt that now. However at the time, due to the whole idea of them hate losing face, I couldn't help but worry.

Op did the lad a favour. I can imagine the words his boss would have used being much harsher! biggrin.gif

Clearly, probably saved the Guy his Job too. you shouted to prevent a major F#$k up. not the same as losing your rag in my book. It was for both of your benefit. I bet he was glad you did.

I think I have only ever lost my temper with a local once.

I was just leaving some Thai friends in Bangkok and jumping in a taxi and my Thai friend told the driver to put the taxi meter on. I also informed him to do this. However he sped off and didn't put the taxi meter on. I didn't notice for about 5 minutes, but when I did I sternly said "I said put the taxi meter on!" He just laughed at me and muttered something in Thai under his breath and then started speeding up down the road. As soon as this started happening I felt really uneasy and quite frightened so I raised my voice at him. More than anything I raised my voice out of fear rather than anger and he just laughed at me and then when I finally got to my destination, the driver was demanding I pay him double than what I normally pay. I refused and got angry with him. In turn, he got very irate and grabbed me by the neck. I know there is a theory that Thais don't like losing face and I was aware that I potentially putting myself in more danger. However the destination I was at was a Thai friend's house and he came out and had a go at the taxi driver in Thai. The whole thing left me really shaken up and I hated being left in the house alone, I had this fear that the taxi driver would come back as he knew my address. I thought he would come back and 'get me back' kind of thing.

I admire your restraint most people I know including myself would of snapped him in half for doing something like that. I too agree with others that saving face is a myth for most Thai's, among the elites it is definetly an issue (I know from experience) however for the average Thai they dont care there just like everybody else most of them are fine upstanding individuals but of course as with any society some are absolute bastards.

One day you will come across some locals who don't appreciate being shouted at and the outcome could be pretty nasty.

Because you are a foreigner in Thailand they can do any thing they want against you,And get away with it.In my Civilized Country its called Racism ,My Thai family appreciate me standing up to them its called having some balls. OK You don't have to be stupid , some times its the correct thing to do when you know you are right and the idiots that confronts you is wrong, Let them think they are right and just walk away.

One day you will come across some locals who don't appreciate being shouted at and the outcome could be pretty nasty.

I am wondering if some of you people ever leave your homes? it seems apparent that a lot of you are terrified of Thais and live your lives in fear, right is right and wrong is wrong, doesn't matter where you are bending over and taking it because you are frightened seems like a depressing way to live your lives

Because you are a foreigner in Thailand they can do any thing they want against you,And get away with it.In my Civilized Country its called Racism ,My Thai family appreciate me standing up to them its called having some balls. OK You don't have to be stupid , some times its the correct thing to do when you know you are right and the idiots that confronts you is wrong, Let them think they are right and just walk away.

Yes, that is a wonderful way for them to learn a lesson.....outstanding.

I think you can come across some locals in any country who don't appreciate being shouted at and the outcome could be nasty.

You're going to get tossers in every country and its up to you how you respond to this. I think it's a case of being a judge of character and weighing up the situation you're in. I wouldn't lose my temper with someone who I thought was a threat and where by I thought things could get nasty. That just wouldn't be common sense. However if I feel the need to stand my ground and stand up for myself rather than take it just because I'm a foreigner given that I've judge the person's character and I don't think they're going to turn nasty then yes... I would stand my ground.

Same goes in any country, not just Thailand.

Sorry to hear about your incident, a big Pit running towards you is indeed scarey. I find it very unlikely it would run across the road and just attack you for no reason, Pit Bulls are generally only dog agressive, not human agressive. If that was the case then the onwners are clearly to blame for lack of knowledge about the breed and how to train it properly, you cannot blame the dog. I have had Pit Bulls for years and it's the only breed i would ever own. All to oftne they get a bad wrap!!!!

JH

Here is a link,concerning the laws of owning a Pit Bull in the UK,

A dangerous breed for sure,just Google it:

http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=838

Yes, that is a wonderful way for them to learn a lesson.....outstanding.

many lessons have been learned , but usually when some ones dead.

most Thais don't usually understand what you are yelling anyway...wouldn't do this myself, but try yelling out one of the many Thai colourful expletives such as the thai word for monitor lizard and you will get an entirely different reaction....ohh yes and be prepared to run like hell

Edited by tailspin

Bit dramatic isn't it?

Indeed, yes violence can and does happen, but the majority of the time someone ends up on the floor and thats an end of it.

Also as far as dealing with the locals goes, I look Thai enough to pass as a resident and no one wants to mess with a 6'4 90kg guy when most Thai guys are 2/3 of my size, so I have never personally had any problems *touches wood*.

Bit dramatic isn't it?

Yes I agree,

But from stupid little things, things get out of control . people do things in anger that they would not do other wise, and you do not know if the other person is on drugs or state of mind they are in. just don't get in positions of confrontations.

JH

http://www.thekennel...item.cgi?id=838

Don't need the link, know enough about the breed, as said i've had them for years and know their behaviour very well. All dogs are dangerous if they have irresponsible owners, simple as that..

This is way off topic now anyway!

JH

JH

http://www.thekennel...item.cgi?id=838

Don't need the link, know enough about the breed, as said i've had them for years and know their behaviour very well. All dogs are dangerous if they have irresponsible owners, simple as that..

This is way off topic now anyway!

JH

That's why I provided a link,

and i'll believe a Government Law,before personal sentiment.

I have never shouted at a local before because I have a very high tolerance level for many things. I'm surprised that the other party didn't retaliate. I read that in Thai culture, they have the concept of "not losing face". For example, if you want to know the way to a certain location and if you ask a local, he/she might point you to a direction even though they don't know the way to your destination. In situations where the local has been shouted at, I think this is a major "face loss". I thought they will argue back or beat you up.

With respect, in this area we are in 'shades of grey', and I think you need to live and learn a little longer in the LOS.........