There's Something About Yingluck

webfact

There's something about Yingluck

By THE NATION

30162120-01.jpg

Political novice Yingluck Shinawatra entered politics for the first time by contesting the July 3 general election and won by a landslide. Now she's set to become Thailand's first female prime minister.

Here are some interesting facts about the lady:

- At 44, she relies on a hairstylist and makeup artist only on special occasions;

- She does not have a regular hairdresser;

- She is fashion-savvy and prefers off-the-rack designer brands over tailor-made outfits;

- The prime minister-elect likes low-fat Starbucks coffee floats, though while on the campaign trail, she discovered that the Thai coffee brands sold at petrol stations were of comparable quality;

- She is known to be terrified of geckos;

- Despite her busy schedule, Yingluck accompanies her nine-year-old son to his piano classes and football training on weekends;

- She shops at the Crystal Park shopping mall not far from her home;

- A source close to Yingluck has said she can be bossy and demanding at work, a far cry from the sweet image portrayed in public;

- Though officially she is still a "Miss", Yingluck has been married since 1995 to Anusorn Amornchat, a business executive from the Charoen Phokphand Group who later joined M Link Asia Corporation, which is owned by her sister Yaowapa;

- Their only son was born seven years after their marriage;

- Yingluck quickly climbed the executive ladder in her family business even though she does not have an academic background in business. She earned a bachelor's degree in public administration from Chiang Mai University's faculty of political science and did her master's in the same field at Kentucky State University in the United States;

- She began her career by selling adverts for Yellow Pages phone directories published by Shinawatra Directories, became managing director of Advanced Info Service in 2002 and later was managing director of SC Asset.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-06

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ask her brother :cheesy:

Certainly better educated, more successful at work, and a better parent than a great many foreigners resident in Thailand.

And that makes her qualified to be the leader of a country of 60 million people?

Edited by sjjmmi

Certainly better educated, more successful at work, and a better parent than a great many foreigners resident in Thailand.

Your posts often have substance. What happened, did a 10 year old kid hack into your nick?

Perhaps we should list some achievements of prime ministers around the world.

:ermm:

I guess I need to ask what do you think the qualifications of a Prime Minister should be?

There have been many (Heads of State) who appear to lack academic background.

I think many of you could be under estimating her greatly.

I thought it was a good article, shows she has a common sense aspect.

The comments I have read seem be preconceived notions anyway.

I guess I need to ask what do you think the qualifications of a Prime Minister should be?

There have been many (Heads of State) who appear to lack academic background.

I think many of you could be under estimating her greatly.

I thought it was a good article, shows she has a common sense aspect.

The comments I have read seem be preconceived notions anyway.

Preconceived???

So under 60 days expence qualifies somebody to run a country, (If she will be doing it 100% indepently).

I call it a blind gamble or a window blind covering behind the scenes

Regardless of how she came to this position, she is now the PM of Thailand. Only time will tell if she will be another puppet, like her brother-in-law Somchai, or if she will ultimately put her own stamp on her administration.

Certainly she has quite a few pitfalls ahead of her, however, the most dangerous one - the possibility of runaway inflation - is of her own making!

One additional fact something about Yingluck that the article doesn't mention: Her grandmother was a princess (of the old Chiang Mai dynasty, not the Chakri dynasty) : Princess Jantip Na Chiang Mai.

By definition, "foreigners" includes a lot of people residing in Thailand (non Thai). The majority of whom, have no family business, sugar daddy, to fall back on for employment, within the boundaries of the country. Your statement could have just as easily have been written (foreigner/Thai) and covered all the bases.

Your posts often have substance. What happened, did a 10 year old kid hack into your nick?

I too wonder what happened to the old GK. Didn't use to agree with him much then either, but at least there was reasoned thinking going on that made an attempt for balance, and without too much in the way of flaming. The above post is an example of none of those things.

A lot of overly critical, emphatically unfair and unjustified responses here. No original thought; just the same old crap negative responses to anything Shinawatra!

Only time will tell. The majority of the Thai people are happy with this outcome, as evidenced by the landslide victory. Maybe that happiness is a direct and opposite result of their angst over past "political instability, power play among government officials, economic downturn, rising cost of living, flooding and other natural disasters as well as poor infrastructure." Maybe they are hoping for a change. Maybe this has nothing to do with what foreigners think, and we are only witness to things about us.

Yingluck won't be able to overturn many things. And the factions already building against her will bring about delay and controversy, as is the Thai way of doing things; better yet, the way of doing things in most governments where systems like this exist.

I mention this in advance of all the additional anti-Thaksin, biased whining and moaning and sardonic statements that are to come during the course of her term.

I think most of you are being unfair towards something that has yet to play out, and came into existence through the system of democracy that you all promote and defend in your own countries; yet for some unforeseeable reason, cannot accept here. Now it's not Thaksin; it's her. Or, It's her, because of Thaksin; or even her and Thaksin together.

I say wait and see, and then be fair in the comments as a result of the good that comes to the Thai people's lives and well-being, on a general basis.

A lot of overly critical, emphatically unfair and unjustified responses here. No original thought; just the same old crap negative responses to anything Shinawatra!

Only time will tell. The majority of the Thai people are happy with this outcome, as evidenced by the landslide victory. Maybe that happiness is a direct and opposite result of their angst over past "political instability, power play among government officials, economic downturn, rising cost of living, flooding and other natural disasters as well as poor infrastructure." Maybe they are hoping for a change. Maybe this has nothing to do with what foreigners think, and we are only witness to things about us.

Yingluck won't be able to overturn many things. And the factions already building against her will bring about delay and controversy, as is the Thai way of doing things; better yet, the way of doing things in most governments where systems like this exist.

I mention this in advance of all the additional anti-Thaksin, biased whining and moaning and sardonic statements that are to come during the course of her term.

I think most of you are being unfair towards something that has yet to play out, and came into existence through the system of democracy that you all promote and defend in your own countries; yet for some unforeseeable reason, cannot accept here. Now it's not Thaksin; it's her. Or, It's her, because of Thaksin; or even her and Thaksin together.

I say wait and see, and then be fair in the comments as a result of the good that comes to the Thai people's lives and well-being, on a general basis.

Ummmm instead of landslide victory I suggest that you use a more appropriate term such as a parliamentary majority. Many other sources have used the word "landslide" but less than 50% of the votes doesn't quite qualify does it?

I don't personally expect Yingluck to make it through a full-term in office :)

Ummmm instead of landslide victory I suggest that you use a more appropriate term such as a parliamentary majority. Many other sources have used the word "landslide" but less than 50% of the votes doesn't quite qualify does it?

I don't personally expect Yingluck to make it through a full-term in office :)

There is a lot of speculation that in about a year PTP will call an election when the 111 are back and go for a huge majority. Who knows but if that is a strategy it doesnt give their extra-parliamentary enemies much time to react. The Dems in reselecting Abhisit seem to accept that if such were to occur, they would lose anyway, which is almost a certainty.

Perhaps we should list some achievements of prime ministers around the world.

:ermm:

you forgot

- she can comb her own hair.

At least it explains why the red-shirts didn't target Crystal Park. I suppose Makro and Big C are more comfortable for them.B)

There is a lot of speculation that in about a year PTP will call an election when the 111 are back and go for a huge majority. Who knows but if that is a strategy it doesnt give their extra-parliamentary enemies much time to react. The Dems in reselecting Abhisit seem to accept that if such were to occur, they would lose anyway, which is almost a certainty.

Well, PTP supporters here are describing the 3% majority they did win as being huge, thunderous, overwhelming, very comfortable, not to mention a few other superlatives, so one wonders how it could actually be any bigger than it already is. biggrin.gif

Well, PTP supporters here are describing the 3% majority they did win as being huge, thunderous, overwhelming, very comfortable, not to mention a few other superlatives, so one wonders how it could actually be any bigger than it already is. biggrin.gif

They beat the Dems by a lot more than 3%. It was a big win. The other parties will pretty much go with whoever comes out on top as they have no policies and no ideology and are only interested in cabinet posts and dosh. Even BJT are trying to find a way to ingratiate themselves with Thaksin again although with the number of PTP MPs they have upset it will take time even if the big man wants them back.

For PTP to lose the Dems have to beat them in number of seats or at least get very close (within 10 ish). If PTP dish the goodies out and with a couple of reshuffles under their belt and control of the local admins I think they will win more next time around. The Dems will be playing big defence just to hold most of their BKK seats as they won most of them by very narrow margins. On top of that some smaller parties may opt to join up with PTP or just do the we wont run against each other deal in a few constituencies. I could see PTP winning 300 seats although Im not sure they will be able to get back to the TRT record. Palang Chon offers a model for some other local groups that can no longer compete across region or nationally and that may well see where the swing parties head leaving them as viable and guaranteed a cabinet seat.

Interesting to see how it goes. I just hope the Dems can reinvent themsleves and break with the shadowy ones so a viable alternative is available asap. No democracy should become a one party state by default, but to avoid that needs a strong opposition too. With todays choices, I think the Dems have cemented themselves in the past, which is saddening and a missed opportunity

Let's look at some of her qualifications another way:

She was 44 before she had a cup of coffee in a petrol station, only to find it was comparable to Starbucks at a fraction the price. (Amazing!)

She climbed the corporate ladder rapidly (in the family company), despite a lack of qualifications. Obviously has no problems with nepotism.

Prefers imported designer labels over locally tailored garments. (Hey its only money! Balance of What?)

At work, acts like a hi-so boss despite what GK thinks!

They beat the Dems by a lot more than 3%. It was a big win.

When did we switch to discussing the size of their win? We were talking about the size of their majority - at least i was. Two very different things, and only one of is really that important, because if you don't have a majority, it makes little difference what your margin of win might be.

They beat the Dems by a lot more than 3%. It was a big win.

When did we switch to discussing the size of their win? We were talking about the size of their majority - at least i was. Two very different things, and only one of is really that important, because if you don't have a majority, it makes little difference what your margin of win might be.

300-200 government majority of 100. The swing parties line up in return for posts and access to projects. The swing parties have no ideology or policy platform. They had an overall majority over all parties of around 30 too iirc and one of around 100 over the Dems. In a multi-party system with as many parties as Thailand has and a party list giving out significant amounts of seats to actually get a majority is quite a feat. The system was designed ot make it hard to get a majority and to leave divided coalition government as the default. An overall majority has only happened twice in Thailand. It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms. Personally i think they will beat it next time around although not match the thumping TRT win of 2005.

300-200 government majority of 100. The swing parties line up in return for posts and access to projects. The swing parties have no ideology or policy platform. They had an overall majority over all parties of around 30 too iirc and one of around 100 over the Dems. In a multi-party system with as many parties as Thailand has and a party list giving out significant amounts of seats to actually get a majority is quite a feat. The system was designed ot make it hard to get a majority and to leave divided coalition government as the default. An overall majority has only happened twice in Thailand. It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms. Personally i think they will beat it next time around although not match the thumping TRT win of 2005.

It is the second biggest electoral win Thailand has ever seen if you want it in technical terms.

That is not a technical term, that is stating it in terms understood by the Roy Castle Record Breakers audience.

The technical term is a majority by 3%. Everyone seems desperate to push this figure to the side and talk in grand superlatives, because they seem to feel this figure doesn't do the win justice. Well i'm sorry, but that is the figure, and no matter what records almost broken you care to state, nothing changes that nor changes the fact that calling the majority huge, overwhelming, very comfortable, thunderous etc etc is to indulge in exaggeration.

And that makes her qualified to be the leader of a country of 60 million people?

You forgot to put "puppet" before leader!.

You forgot to put "puppet" before leader!.

How does one gauge "successful at work"? or "better educated" when she worked for family only ..... and graduated from a really poorly rated school?