Can Tourist Police Volunteers Arrest Anyone?

thaibeachlovers

some of these guys have problems

LOL. IMO any person who wants to become a Tourist Police Volunteer in Pattaya has a problem. Maybe they like to play pretend cop because they couldn't make the police force in their home countries.

there are few exceptions. I know of one who has spent his life in a uniform, both as enlisted and officer and who joined to genuinely help, i know of others who are complete tossers, and a few in between.

the concept is a good one. the problem is when you bring personalities into the equation you do end up with the wannabees, but thats NOT the case for all of them.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a strange situation where the Thai Police allow this practice of foreign volunteers.

Unfortunately there is such a high percentage of criminality amongst such a small group compared to general tourists/expat population, some would include The armed heroin dealer, The Ladyboy peppersprayer and the nutter with his home made own police car..

They probably serve a good purpose though in general, and the Howard Miller guy was a good example of this but you have to think what attracts these guys to the role..

If they were made to were bright yellow t-shirts with a smiley face with "How can I help" written on them then there simply wouldn't be any takers for the role.

I would have stood my ground had any tried to move me, explained that I speak fluent Thai and they are simply not needed perhaps with an expletive added for good measure.