Diabetes Epidemic To ‘devastate’ Asia

george

Diabetes epidemic to ‘devastate’ Asia

Asia is likely to suffer social and economic devastation from an escalating diabetes epidemic that could be even more crippling than HIV/Aids or a feared influenza pandemic, a World Health Organisation (WHO) expert warned yesterday.

Asia has four of the five largest diabetes populations in the world, with 90 million people currently living with the disease. Without quick and effective intervention it could be facing a disaster, said Professor Paul Zimmet, director of the WHO Collaborating Centre for Diabetes and the International Diabetes Institute in Australia.

The WHO projects that there will be as many as 200 million diabetics in Asia within a decade, he added, citing its recent report, “Preventing Chronic Diseases: A Vital Investment”.

“This is a global diabetic tsunami that will become the health crisis of the 21st century and could reduce life expectancy globally for the first time in 200 years,” said Zimmet, who was speaking at the Sixth International Diabetes Federation Western Pacific Congress yesterday.

Governments are currently occupied with HIV/Aids and bird flu, and are not recognising the trouble diabetes could be about to cause, he said.

He said to present a clearer picture of the health threat posed, it should be recognised that 75 per cent of diabetics died of heart disease and the remainder of kidney failure. This, however, wasn’t really recognised by the general public, he said.

In a trend that seems set to continue, chronic diseases such as diabetes are claiming at least twice the number of deaths than infectious diseases, he said.

China and India are of particular concern, because of a considerably higher incidence of diabetes compared with the rest of the world.

China might well have 50 million people with Type 2 diabetes within a decade, India more than 40 million, said Zimmet.

Their economies could be looking at bills of as much as US$500 billion (Bt20.41 trillion) each to cope with the premature deaths, the cost of healthcare and lost productivity.

Thailand’s situation is only slightly better than these countries, he said, adding “the best solution to these imminent health threats is governments recognising the threat of diabetes, and then taking serious action quickly”.

The WHO has set aside 6 per cent of its entire budget to help fight the silent killer.

--The Nation 2005-10-27

I was curious as to what the underlying causes for diabetes are and why the propensity for it in Asia?  Are there steps one could take to reduce the risk?

a good diet

in the west a varied diet from day to day, gives you the vitamins, calcium and carbs,an asian diet is severly lacking in calcium for one

No propensity for it but historically they have not eaten too many breads, french fries, soda's etc....

So now that McDonalds and Coca-Cola are so hip its hitting really hard. Also add in the fact that everything is twice as sweet out here and that they put sugar in everything.

What is with the WHO and their constant need to doom monger, boy I'm bored of hearing about all the different ways that I'm going to die.

I was curious as to what the underlying causes for diabetes are and why the propensity for it in Asia?  Are there steps one could take to reduce the risk?

just not enough exercise . they sit around too much on their butts.

the hot climate doesnt help.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Thai people are more active than many westerners. However, I do agree with Ben@H3- Digital in regards to Thai culture adopting McDonalds and eating more Bread like the western countries. I don't believe The Sugar in the food or exercising causes diabetes, but i'm sure exercise helps eliminate just a little (very little). I think its more in your family history.

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you on this. I think Thai people are more active than many westerners. However, I do agree with Ben@H3- Digital in regards to Thai culture adopting McDonalds and eating more Bread like the western countries. I don't believe The Sugar in the food or exercising causes diabetes, but i'm sure exercise helps eliminate just a little (very little). I think its more in your family history.

Actually the Thai diet is incredibly absent of fiber (oat/bhran, etc.) relatively low in protein (duck is best, followed by beef) and for those that are feeling a bit self-righteous, a 20 lb weight gain after the age of 25 marks you as a good candidate for Type II Diabetes.

:o

Type 2 Diabetes Causes

Type 2 diabetes is caused by a complicated interplay of genes, environment, insulin abnormalities, increased glucose production in the liver, increased fat breakdown, and possibly defective hormonal secretions in the intestine. The recent dramatic increase indicates that lifestyle factors (obesity and sedentary lifestyle) may be particularly important in triggering the genetic elements that cause this type of diabetes.

Insulin Abnormalities

The characteristic features of most patients with type 2 diabetes are the following:

* Insulin resistance in muscle cells.

* Normal or even excessive levels of insulin (to compensate for this resistance), eventually followed by a drop in insulin production.

In addition, researchers are trying to determine why the following events occur:

* Elevated levels of free fatty acids and the hormones resistin and leptin have been associated with insulin resistance at different phases. Such factors are also present in obesity. It is not known yet if elevated levels are simply a product of obesity or play some causal role in diabetes.

* Some researchers suggest that proteins called calpains may play an important role in both insulin secretion and insulin action.

* Elevated growth hormone during puberty appears to increase the risk for insulin resistance in overweight adolescents.

* Some experts theorize that abnormal regulation of certain important peptides (amylin and CGRP) may occur, thus affecting both the nervous and circulatory systems. One effect is to alter blood flow, which may contribute to insulin resistance. How each of these factors contributes to type 2 diabetes is under investigation.

* One 2001 study found high levels of interleukin 6 (IL-6) and C-reactive protein (CRP) in people with diabetes. Both of these substances are markers for inflammation and damage caused by an overactive immune response. Some researchers believe such inflammation may contribute to the disease process leading to diabetes.

Genetic Factors

Genetic factors play an important role in type 2 diabetes, but the pattern is complicated, since both impairment of beta cell function and an abnormal response to insulin are involved. Researchers have identified a number of genetic suspects:

* Researchers have identified genes responsible for maturity-onset diabetes in youth (MODY), a rare genetic form of type 2 diabetes that develops only in Caucasian teenagers. (This is not the diabetes associated with obesity that is now being seen increasingly in young people.)

* Some research is now investigating genes that may be responsible for inherited cases of type 2 diabetes in middle-aged Caucasians.

* A defective fatty-acid binding protein 2 (FABP2) gene may result in higher levels of unhealthy fat molecules (particularly triglycerides), which may be critical in the link between obesity and insulin resistance in some people with diabetes type 2.

* A defective lipoprotein lipase (LpL) gene may pose a risk for coronary artery disease and type 2 diabetes in people who have it.

* Variations in a gene that regulates a protein called calpain-10 is proving to affect insulin secretion and action and may play a role in diabetes type 2. There is some disagreement, however, about its significance.

* Defective genes that regulate a molecule called peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor (PPAR) gamma may contribute to both type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure in some patients.

* A defective gene has been detected that reduces activity of a protective substance called beta3-adrenergic receptor, which is found in visceral fat cells (those occurring around the abdominal region). The result is a slow-down in metabolism and an increase in obesity. The defective gene has been found in Pima Indians and other populations with a very high incidence of type 2 diabetes and obesity.

The Thrifty Gene. One theory suggests that some cases of type 2 diabetes and obesity are derived from normal genetic actions that were once important for survival. Some experts postulate the existence of a so-called "thrifty" gene, which regulates hormonal fluctuations to accommodate seasonal changes. In certain nomadic populations, hormones are released during seasons when food supplies have traditionally been low, which results in resistance to insulin and efficient fat storage. The process is reversed in seasons when food is readily available. Because modern industrialization has made high-carbohydrate and fatty foods available all year long, the gene no longer serves a useful function and is now harmful because fat, originally stored for famine situations, is not used up. Such a theory could help explain the high incidence of type 2 diabetes and obesity found in Pima tribes and other Native American tribes with nomadic histories and Western dietary habits.

(From www.well-connected.com)

a lot of thai people i know claim that sticky rice is 'sweeter' than regular rice and therefore lots of issan people have diabetes (bo waan) , i wonder?

secondly, for example, among amer. indians (native americans) diabetes has become number two killer (alcohol/drugs being number 1) due to extreme changes from original 200+ year ago diet/genetic development (cactus fruits, etc) to white bread, fried dough, lots and lots of cow meat (as apposed to dog, goat, or wild), alcohol, etc... the gene makeup may have had diabetes built in but never stirred up....

now obesity, alcohol, western poor people bad diet (not western crunchy granola organic expensive diet)changes in working lifestyles all play a big role in bringing out the up til now silent potential of the gene (something like 75 % of navajo for example have diabetes, also eskimo /aluit groups... cant remember, stats from my father who worked with these groups)

i suspect that with the thai, the same may be the case: also, poor people in cities for example eat with less attention to 'omega deoxidents' etc and tend toward easy to prepare foods, not tofu organic veggie salads

oops buff: didnt see the last part of your post properly..... not just pima tribe thoough, the pasqua yaaqui also have almost 90% diabetes and related disease... but not just related to the nomadic lifestyles since aluit eskimo groups are not really nomadic, but what they ate also....

could also be life span of people is lenghthening, and also, survival of fittest is no longer as more people are born with diseases and survive due tomedical treatment, they perpetuate the genes (dont want to go any further with this stream of thougth... all my kids are allergic/asthmatic, bad genes most of my uncles etc got to america before hitler got to them :o so we have very bad genes)

Edited by bina

Hmm

well,you really notice it here in Aus.

Where there are major emerging problems with kids and diabetes,due to inactivity and diet etc.

What you do notice from an Asian perspective is the amount of weight the chinese kids are putting on here.

They arrive skinny but..now Seriously getting fat on junk food and lying around in front of gameboy or tv all day.

a lot of thai people i know claim that sticky rice is 'sweeter' than regular rice and therefore lots of issan people have diabetes (bo waan) , i wonder?

I can tell you that of all the varieties of rice tested, sticky rice had among the highest glycemic index values. That is the rate at which the body transforms the food we eat into the glucose our blood can utilize. For diabetics, the idea is to aim for lower, slower intake of glucose. See http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm

I can also tell you that I have found controlling my blood sugar in the Kingdom to be rather challenging. The amounts of sugar used in everyday cooking is staggering enough, but then there's a bowl of it on nearly every table as well. That this epidemic is sweeping through this part of the world comes to me as no surprise, but I suspect very little will be done. We'd hate to damage the sugar industry with all this wild speculation, now wouldn't we? There isn't much in terms of whole grains in the average diet either, and way too much frying going on.

You want to be part of the developed world? Be careful what you wish for. Go on, teachers, ask your kids what their favorite food is: KFC, McD, pizza, ... Now ask what they like to do in their free time.

jb

thanx for clarifying joe beet; so far, among 10 men, five have mothers with what they call 'bo waan' (diabetes) of some sort or an other; two have fathers who died due to what sounds like complications (kidney failure etc?) of diabetes after having 'bo waan'... these are all issaan .... add to that the lao khao and ciggies.... well.........

i see a trend...

• 1 year later...

Why Modern People Get Diabetes Easily

Medical Doctor of Polyclinic & Surgery in Kuala Lumpur Dr. Khor Yeng Kim has numerous years of experience in diabetic treatment. In an exclusive interview by Sin Chew Daily, Dr Khor spoke about the latest discovery in diabetic treatment. Previously, diabetes patients usually comprise of elderly and people with obesity. The current trend is, diabetes patients including young people with slim body. Why a healthy looking people from appearance discover that they have diabetes after blood test? "The main reason is our lifestyle, work and diet have change tremendously. Previously, people labor in farm or factory. Now, majority of people, especially youth work as white collar in office with air-conditioner whole day.They commute with motor vehicle. They lack of exercise, after some year with such lifestyle. They get diabetes." Why such comfort lifestyle can get diabetes. the main reason is insufficient exercise would cause change in metabolism of glucose in our body. In this modern society, no matter you are employed or running your own business, you would face enormous pressure. Pressure cause our glucose level instable.

• A lot of modern food, especially cake, cookies and can drink have excessive sugar. If eat frequently, might cause unstable glucose level in our body and reduced glucose metabolism by insulin.
  • If the above occur, our body would consume a large amount of a trace element call "Glucose Tolerance Factor" (GTF). When our body consume a large amount of "Glucose tolerance Factor" in a long period of time, we would get diabetes.
  • Some people with serious illness, discover that they get diabetes after a blood test. People give birth to a few baby or give birth to obesity baby, would get diabetes more easily. Why, because, GTF Trivalent Chromium in their blood has been consumed in large amount.
  • Other than trace element call GTF, our body need another element call Trivalent Chromium to enable our body to control blood glucose in normal level. What is the different between "Glucose tolerance Factor" and Trivalent Chromium?

The answer is: "Glucose tolerance Factor" is a complex material containing a core of amino acids, vitamin and trivalent chromium. The main function of "Glucose tolerance Factor" is to boost the biological activity of insulin and activate insulin receptors to successfully send glucose into cells so it can be converted to energy. If people lack "Glucose tolerance Factor". Glucose unable to absorb into our cells and get diabetes.

Source of Trivalent Chromium

Where we get Trivalent Chromium? We can get Trivalent Chromium from a number of source: One is from the skin of rice, wheat or oats. However, rice that we eat daily has been process and its skin has been loss. If we compare coarse rice and rice that we eat daily. Coarse rice comprise more nutrient than rice by 10 times. Thus, if we eat coarse rice frequently. We able to increase trivalent chromium in our body

Loss of Trivalent Chromium

People eat excessive meat, protein and sugar in their daily life. This cause loss of trivalent chromium during metabolism. The following situation would occur: When our body absorb lesser and lesser trivalent chromium through diet, but increase in loss of trivalent chromium. Diabetes would occur. This is the reason why diabetes become a common sickness nowaday.

Elderly, Obesity- The favorite of diabetes

Trivalent chromium decrease with age

Dr Khor explained: Scientific research discover that trace element of trivalent chromium in the body would reduce when people age. Elderly people have difficulties to absorb trivalent chromium through normal diet. When body have insufficient trivalent chromium, our body unable to produce sufficient "Glucose tolerance Factor" to enable insulin to transport glucose to cell.

Obesity beware

Obesity are another cause of diabetes. Modern people surrounded with good food but exercise less, they become obesity after in this situation for long period of time. Thus, the chance of getting diabetes become higher. When people grow fat. Lipid would cover our body cell. This cause close of insulin receptor. When insulin unable to open the gateway to cell. Glucose unable to transport to cell. And insulin resistance occur occasionally. In this situation, glucose remain circulating within our blood. When our blood glucose level increase, we will get diabetes.

Trial of trivalent chromium

Dr Khor stress that trivalent chromium play an important role in improve normal metabolism of blood glucose, protein and lipid in our body. It also enhance our apatite causing our craving for food or sweets are lesser. Not long time ago, Dr. Stephen Davies in England has conducted the following clinical trial:

• Total of 4,872 patients participate.
  • Elderly patients have lesser trivalent chromium in their serum.
  • Baby have 0.5ng/ml of trivalent chromium in their body. It reduced when they age, become 0.3ng/ml when they 70 years old. Middle age people have 0.4ng/ml of trivalent chromium in their body. Diabetes type 2 patients have 0.2ng/ml trivalent chromium in their body.
  • After taking chromium supplement, health of elderly become improve substantially.
  • After taking chromium supplement, blood glucose level of diabetes type 2 patient reduced to control level.

Trivalent Chromium able to protect your heart

April 2005 issue of American Heart Journal has published a news on trivalent chromium:

According to scientist research: If Type 2 Diabetes take chromium supplement on daily basis, other than able to lower their blood glucose level, this able to protect their heart. This is because trivalent chromium able to lower the QTc interval patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus. Thus, lower their risk of cardiovascular disease.

When a person heart have long QTc interval, He would get Arrhythmias. But if the patients take chromium supplement, it will regularise it heart and thus lengthern the lift spand of type 2 diabetes mellitus.

Dr Bojan, Cardiologist in Ljubljana University Medical Centre in US has reveal recently that:

In the above clinical trial, 30 patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus received 1000 μg of chromium picolinate (CrPic) daily for 3 months, followed by placebo in the next 3 months, this is group A.

Group B, also 30 patients, was treated with placebo for the first 3 months and in the following 3 months with chromium picolinate.

Lower risk of getting Heart disease

At the beginning of the trial, QTc interval was similar between Group A and Group B. Group A 422 milliseconds and Group B 425 milliseconds.

After 3 months, Group A patients who take chromium supplement QTc has shortern to 406 milliseconds. And Group B patients who take chromium supplement QTc has shortern to 407 milliseconds.

The above trial has proved that Type 2 diabetes mellitus who take chromium supplement has lower risk of getting heart Disease.

Obvious Lower in Blood Glucose Level

They also discover: Patients able to lower their blood glucose level after taken chromium supplement of 3 months.

Published by Sin Chew Daily ,Malaysia dated 24 March 2006 (Part 5).Excerpt and translated by DiabetesMilkPowder.com

Believe it or not: there is a "Eat-a-thon" on Phuket where people can stuff themselves with some of the most dangerous junk food around that not only contributes to Diabetes but many other cronic deseases and they are doing this to get money for school meals.

How stupid must local officials be to authorize this disgusting event!

I'm surely not against having fun, but these companies should get no forum to promote their sh.. amongst young people. Maybe someone in a responsible position should give Khun Sclilla a call (or make him / her eat that sh..) him/herself ...

Phuket Gazette -today

Charity gorge

PATONG: Gluttony and generosity will go hand-in-hand this weekend, when 80 contestants take part in Jungceylon's first-ever "EAT-A-THON" to raise money to buy lunches for poor local students.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Jungceylon Public Relation's Manager Slilla Svetsreni explained that on Friday, Saturday and Sunday contestants will compete in devouring four categories of fast food to be provided by sponsors Burger King, Swensen's ice cream, Pizza Corner and Dunkin' Donuts.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Expecting some stiff competition, K. Slilla said, "We are looking for the kind of people who can wolf down three medium-sized pizzas or polish off a whole box of Dunkin' Donuts in one go. It will be up to the contestants to decide which category they compete in."</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Competition on the first two nights will start at 6 pm, when four groups of 20 contestants each will compete in one of the four food categories. Registration will open at 5:30 pm each day.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

At 6 pm on Sunday, the eight individual winners from the previous two nights will compete in the grand final, the fare to consist of a mountainous mix of hamburgers, donuts, pizza – and ice cream for "dessert".</FONT></FONT></FONT>

The winner will waddle away with 10,000 baht prize money – and quite likely a serious case of indigestion.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

To qualify, competitors must present shopping receipts from Jungceylon stores totaling at least 500 baht or make a contribution – of any size – to the Jungceylon school lunch fund.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

Registrations will be accepted at the Jungceylon public relations counter on the ground floor or at the Siam Zone on the day of competition.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

For more information call K. Slilla at 081-8084541 or 089-8160910.</FONT></FONT></FONT>

a good diet

in the west a varied diet from day to day, gives you the vitamins, calcium and carbs,an asian diet is severly lacking in calcium for one

there is lots of calcium in insect shells :o

No propensity for it but historically they have not eaten too many breads, french fries, soda's etc....

So now that McDonalds and Coca-Cola are so hip its hitting really hard. Also add in the fact that everything is twice as sweet out here and that they put sugar in everything.

What is with the WHO and their constant need to doom monger, boy I'm bored of hearing about all the different ways that I'm going to die.

Here in Thailand McDonald's is less of a problem. The real problem is the use of massive amounts of cheap cooking oil. If you have a look at the cooking habits of many village wifes, you can see how rapidly they go through their oil bottles.

The wife's of my wife's brothers are mostly grossly overweight (poor blokes, that explains their drinking :o ), and their food is both for me and the wife indigestible.

Blame the "fast food" invasion from the west............

Children in still in primary education, under 12 years old, are now often overweight,

due to trendy BAD diets.

This is the path that leads to diabetes, heart attack and many other problems in later life.

Blame the "fast food" invasion from the west............

Children in still in primary education, under 12 years old, are now often overweight,

due to trendy BAD diets.

This is the path that leads to diabetes, heart attack and many other problems in later life.

I've noticed a change in children in my 15 years here. It's incredible how many very overweight children come out of the school next to my house.

BTW, white rice IS sugar. It has virtually no fiber too. But as we all know, white is good, dark is evil... geez, even to the point where it kills you. :o

I was curious as to what the underlying causes for diabetes are and why the propensity for it in Asia? Are there steps one could take to reduce the risk?

a good diet

there is lots of calcium in insect shells :o

Its certainly not at Western levels, but heres something interesting - the need for calcium is highly misconstrued and way overblown.

First, protien consumption blocks the consumption of calcium. Drinking milk for the calcium? forgett it! milk is so high in protien that it LEECHES calcium from your system, even though it has a lot to begin with. Strange, but true. This is the result of milk industry subsidized research. (Gee, I wonder why milk companies don't trumpet these results?)

The innuit may be getting diabetes, but its a heck of an improvement over the dietary diseases they were getting from their old diet! (all dead by 40! no veggies at all)

My (Thai)wife went this morning to Patong hospital to pick up my monthly insulin injections. When she came home she said to me every time there are more and more Thais who are waiting to see a doctor for diabetes or getting their insulin.

When she spoke to some of them nobody knew about how to control the sugar-blood level with a little device.

Gerd

I was curious as to what the underlying causes for diabetes are and why the propensity for it in Asia? Are there steps one could take to reduce the risk?

This is terrible as a Asian I feel their is nothing that can stop my people from eating oil and sugar. Remember that in Asia its up to you and face. No white person or someone from America or Europe can ever tell us what to do. First before we listen 100 million shall died.

Half of my wife's family lives in the US. The other half in Thailand

There is a family history of diabetes and the grandmother is in nursing home in Bangkok now partially blind, unable to walk, kidney failure...some of it due to diabetes which she has had for years.

Here's some of the differences between the Thai half of the family and the other half, living in the US.

The US relatives exercise a lot more...either daily walks, tennis, golf. Sports plays a big part in their lives.

The Thai relatives live in Bangkok where it's not practical to walk due to traffic and sports costs a lot of money. Exercise is a hit and miss thing. They do a lot of sitting

The US relatives eat plenty of fish, vegetables and fruits. They are conscious of their diets and try to eat "healthy". They buy whole wheat breads, eat "brown rice", limit their intake of deep fried Thai foods...even watch their consumption of coconut milk recipes (although the jury is still out on whether coconut milk is good or bad for you) They drink wine occasionally. Plus they have a yearly checkup and blood work done so they know what their chlorestoral levels and blood pressure are.

The Thai half eat out a lot or order their foods precooked. They have no idea what's in the foods they buy since they don't have time to cook from scratch. They eat whatever tastes good without much thought for calorie content, saturated fats, transfats etc. A lot of what they order is deep fried. They only visit the clinic when they are sick

As the two sides get older it will be interesting to see how their health and vitality compare.

Changing diet and exercise patterns in modern life is of coourse the primary reason behind the surge in diabetes. Really, people only need to make a small effort to improve their diet and get a bit more exercise and that makes a big difference.

Type II Diabetes doesn't happen suddenly. The fasting blood sugar levels sneak up slowly over the years. An inexpensive fasting blood sugar test taken every 1-2 years can show if you are at increasing risk. When you get to the stage of pre-diabetes, you take action on your diet and exercise. It's pretty much the same as high blood pressure. A little prevention goes a long way...

Now I'd like to mention some points not seen in this thread:

* HIV medications (ART) cause higher blood sugar levels in nearly everyone who takes them. That alone will account for 1-2% of the adult population being at much higher risk of diabetes. Instead of dying of HIV related diseases, survivors tend to be at high risk of diabetes and heart disease.

* A recent and rather remarkable discovery shows two foods can naturally control blood sugar: cinammon and coco. Or rather certain chemicals in them. This is not quackery, but the discoveries are not yet 100% believed by all nutritionists. Yet mostly this has been accepted as real and true in the past few years (google it). Since the pharmaceutical giants don't stand to make a fortune from this, it is not been marketed widely.

Small inexpensive changes to your daily patterns of life and diet can ward off this threat. It just needs education.

Changing diet and exercise patterns in modern life is of coourse the primary reason behind the surge in diabetes. Really, people only need to make a small effort to improve their diet and get a bit more exercise and that makes a big difference.

Type II Diabetes doesn't happen suddenly. The fasting blood sugar levels sneak up slowly over the years. An inexpensive fasting blood sugar test taken every 1-2 years can show if you are at increasing risk. When you get to the stage of pre-diabetes, you take action on your diet and exercise. It's pretty much the same as high blood pressure. A little prevention goes a long way...

Now I'd like to mention some points not seen in this thread:

* HIV medications (ART) cause higher blood sugar levels in nearly everyone who takes them. That alone will account for 1-2% of the adult population being at much higher risk of diabetes. Instead of dying of HIV related diseases, survivors tend to be at high risk of diabetes and heart disease.

* A recent and rather remarkable discovery shows two foods can naturally control blood sugar: cinammon and coco. Or rather certain chemicals in them. This is not quackery, but the discoveries are not yet 100% believed by all nutritionists. Yet mostly this has been accepted as real and true in the past few years (google it). Since the pharmaceutical giants don't stand to make a fortune from this, it is not been marketed widely.

Small inexpensive changes to your daily patterns of life and diet can ward off this threat. It just needs education.

Good post. One problem here is the God-like status MDs enjoy. Add to that them also selling and profiting by what they proscribe and you have a guaranteed recipe for a purely pharmaceutical "cure" for everything. Who has ever walked out of the Thai doctor surgery with less than 3 diffent bottles. You will usually find one is actually useful.

Adult onset diabetes, like many, is a lifestyle disease. As Asian habits turn to increased sugar, pesticide and superphosphate riddled foods, preservatives, hormone and antibiotic treated meats, no exercise etc, then lifestyle diseases will become more prevalent here as well.

I have a chiropratic and osteopathic dregree (retired), B.Sc, Nutrition, Naturopathic and Herbal diplomas, and an MBA to boot, however when the doctor told my Thai wife it was fine to give children coke, chocolates and fried snacks who did she believe? Not me, what would a farang know compared to a real doctor?

That image will change in time here as it has in west, however for now it will remain "how many months supply of insulin can I sell you and no, you certainly don't need to change your lifestyle."