Loi Krathong Dates For 2011

annabel

Come on, people, the balloon launch at Mae Jo isn't the only Loi Krathong event!

Tell your friends to come during the "normal" LK period of Nov 9 - 11 and undoubtably into the weeked of Nov 12 - 13. They can go to Thaepae Gate and the area near the river and photogragh some real-live local residents releasing their balloons and little boats. They can take an evening river cruise (Riverside and Goodview restaurants) and see all the beautiful decorated floats on the river and watch people launching their krathongs.

There's much to do here in CM during that time. It's my favorite Thai holiday and we've never been to the Mae Jo event.

Edited by NancyL

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Come on, people, the balloon launch at Mae Jo isn't the only Loi Krathong event!

Tell your friends to come during the "normal" LK period of Nov 9 - 11 and undoubtably into the weeked of Nov 12 - 13. They can go to Thaepae Gate and the area near the river and photogragh some real-live local residents releasing their balloons and little boats. They can take an evening river cruise (Riverside and Goodview restaurants) and see all the beautiful decorated floats on the river and watch people launching their krathongs.

There's much to do here in CM during that time. It's my favorite Thai holiday and we've never been to the Mae Jo event.

We would have liked to go to the Mae Jo, but the cost, well not in out budget.

We are staying on the river near the Iron Bridge, have been advised we will see some, thanks for the Thaepae Gate one, will have to go there too.:)

Well, everyone has different ideas of what they want to experience and some of my friends are coming explicitly for the mae jo lantern lighting.. i agree, there is more to Loi Lrathong than lanterns, but Mae Jo is the only place in thailand that i have heard of that does such a well coordinated simultaneous lantern launch. I went last year and it was an event that i will never forget. Watched the sun rise over Angkor Wat, watched it set at Macchu Picchu, spent Solstice at Chitchen Itza, etc... and this event is right up there - for me.

anyways... will give the november date at Mae Jo a shot and see how it all works out.

I finally confirmed my trip to CM today for the "29th" event. Some questions for friendly people here:

1) I travel alone, what should I take to go to the venue? tuk tuk? Or need to book a car?

2) I have read some stuff warning the extremely crazy traffic jam on that date. Really need to head towards at 3-4pm while the release ceremony kick-off at 2030?

Many thanks in advance!

I finally confirmed my trip to CM today for the "29th" event. Some questions for friendly people here:

1) I travel alone, what should I take to go to the venue? tuk tuk? Or need to book a car?

2) I have read some stuff warning the extremely crazy traffic jam on that date. Really need to head towards at 3-4pm while the release ceremony kick-off at 2030?

Many thanks in advance!

don't bother booking a car, unless you don't care about the expense... tuk tuk if you like or share a songthiew with other folks...

Last year i arrived around 6pm and barely made it in...was at the outer edge, towards the entrance... if you have the patience, get there early, 4 or 5 should be fine, take a book and something small/light to sit on as grass might be damp.

Personally, i would wait for a good 1/2 hour at least before even trying to exit, maybe longer...again, a book, a blanket/seat and a light to read by might be good...OTOH... you might meet friendly people to talk and share the wait with. There is a real CRUSH to get out asap and it is frustrating and to me, felt like death by a thousand cuts (tiny thais).

Yes, i will be going back this year, with friends coming specifically for the event and implementing some of my own recommendations/strategies....

Many thanks for your reply, zippy! Sorry I don't know what "songthiew" is. Is it the one with 2 benches, passengers sitting face to face? There is no stop or station for them, right? Just meet by fate?

Do you mind to share some of your brilliant recommendations/strategies?

Many thanks in advance!

don't bother booking a car, unless you don't care about the expense... tuk tuk if you like or share a songthiew with other folks...

Last year i arrived around 6pm and barely made it in...was at the outer edge, towards the entrance... if you have the patience, get there early, 4 or 5 should be fine, take a book and something small/light to sit on as grass might be damp.

Personally, i would wait for a good 1/2 hour at least before even trying to exit, maybe longer...again, a book, a blanket/seat and a light to read by might be good...OTOH... you might meet friendly people to talk and share the wait with. There is a real CRUSH to get out asap and it is frustrating and to me, felt like death by a thousand cuts (tiny thais).

Yes, i will be going back this year, with friends coming specifically for the event and implementing some of my own recommendations/strategies....

Yes, a song thaew is a converted pick-up truck, with the passengers sitting face-to-face on two benches in the back of the song thaew. The word "song" means "two" and the word "thaew" means "lines". They are a very well-established form of public transportation in Chiang Mai.

Zippy gave some good advice, although you don't just "meet song thaews by fate". If so, I encounter good fate at least three or four times daily. A better question would be if they're going to congregate someplace to take people to MaeJo. We found (back when we were tourists) that song thaews congregated by the entrance to the zoo, ready to take passengers to the Royal Floral exhibition (in its hayday). Perhaps there is a similarly informal meeting place to find song thaews to take passengers to the balloon launch.

Many thanks for your advice, Nancy!

Yes, a song thaew is a converted pick-up truck, with the passengers sitting face-to-face on two benches in the back of the song thaew. The word "song" means "two" and the word "thaew" means "lines". They are a very well-established form of public transportation in Chiang Mai.

Zippy gave some good advice, although you don't just "meet song thaews by fate". If so, I encounter good fate at least three or four times daily. A better question would be if they're going to congregate someplace to take people to MaeJo. We found (back when we were tourists) that song thaews congregated by the entrance to the zoo, ready to take passengers to the Royal Floral exhibition (in its hayday). Perhaps there is a similarly informal meeting place to find song thaews to take passengers to the balloon launch.

Many thanks for your reply, zippy! Sorry I don't know what "songthiew" is. Is it the one with 2 benches, passengers sitting face to face? There is no stop or station for them, right? Just meet by fate?

Do you mind to share some of your brilliant recommendations/strategies?

Many thanks in advance!

well, i don't think i have any "brilliant" strategies... just arrive as early as you are comfortable with, recognizing you are in for a long wait and LOTS of monk chanting...they literally chant for about 2.5 hours..

what do you do during that time? Well, i went with my older daughter, her husband and a friend from USA...so we all talked but we also took the opportunity to talk to any english speaking folks around us... and they are everywhere on that night.

leaving is a nightmare unless you really like large crowds and getting crushed... but one of the most amazing things i experienced was that there were NO police involved, other than at a few key traffic flow points.

Everyone entered and left the grounds as orderly as such huge numbers of people can be... with no muss, no fuss, no fights, no yelling... Simply amazing....

reminded me of about 40 yrs ago, new year's eve on Ipanema beach or at Candelaria beach in rio... literally one million people on the beach, in the ocean... floating candles, not unlike loy krathong.... and NO violence...

Right! I am now worrying about how to leave there given that there is no BTS, no bus. Queue up for tuk tuk or song thaew? But since they don't have regular routes, it would take times to communicate where to go or which song thaew should I get on. What should I do? Anyone can give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

Right! I am now worrying about how to leave there given that there is no BTS, no bus. Queue up for tuk tuk or song thaew? But since they don't have regular routes, it would take times to communicate where to go or which song thaew should I get on. What should I do? Anyone can give me some advice? Thanks in advance.

You could arrange in advance with a tuk-tuk or sawengtheow driver to hire them for the evening. Would guess 500 Baht depending on bargaining skills. Or perhaps a car and driver though would be somewhat more expensive but not bad if shared with a group.

You could arrange in advance with a tuk-tuk or sawengtheow driver to hire them for the evening. Would guess 500 Baht depending on bargaining skills. Or perhaps a car and driver though would be somewhat more expensive but not bad if shared with a group.

believe me, it won't be hard to figure out the transportation. Probably the guest house/hotel you are staying at can help you out... everyone knows someone who drives something...

Right! I got your point, thanks.

i mean, at that time of the year, festival time, any newbie is gonna get a bit of a fleecing...the question is how much and by whom.

So why not spread the love and give the hotel/guest house the benefit of a slightly higher fare and get one of their "people' to deal with your transportation.

Friends of mine who have stayed over the last couple of years find that a much better solution than walking out on street and going to a songthiew hub and trying to argue for a price.

Once you refuse one driver, it is rare if the others will take you. so i am told....

So, the one on 29th has been officially confirmed? I have asked some ppl in CM and they have no idea about that. Got a bit worried as I've already booked tickets for that event,

@don00: I'm also travelling alone, so if you like we could do this together. I would also have some friends in CM with me, so it should be fun, kill some time while waiting and share some transportation cost.

So, the one on 29th has been officially confirmed? I have asked some ppl in CM and they have no idea about that. Got a bit worried as I've already booked tickets for that event,

@don00: I'm also travelling alone, so if you like we could do this together. I would also have some friends in CM with me, so it should be fun, kill some time while waiting and share some transportation cost.

@Matpet: But I have already got in touch with the Taiwanese guy today. Besides, I will meet some "web friend" there. Thanks for asking anyway.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So, as a tourist, does it mean I will be forbidden to enter the venue on the "29th" one?

Just to clear things up, the 29th is open to all with no charges and do all the photography you want. Even lift off your own Krathong if you like. I personally would ignore the 'special visitor' display on the 9th and their $100 dollar nonsense. The main 10,000 Krathong is on the 29th.

Anyone know when the Mae Jo event actually is? The Thai Visa calendar says November 5 Saturday. It has been mentioned in this thread a few times including by Tywais that it is tomorrow, 29 October. I was just out and was talking with a couple of students from Mae Jo University and they said no, it is next weekend???

It is very confusing! Does anyone know? Thanks.

So for the Mae Jo event on the /9

Could anyone recommend a nice resturant with outdoor seating with a view of the event but well away from the actual event and crowds?

What is the event on the 9? Do you mean on the 5th?

And there is no place that fits your bill. You are either right there in the heart of it all, or you miss it.

Could anyone recommend a nice resturant with outdoor seating with a view of the event but well away from the actual event and crowds?

And there is no place that fits your bill. You are either right there in the heart of it all, or you miss it.

Sorry meant the 29th

I just thought a nice comfortable restaurant a mile or so from the crowd & traffic might be a better spot to watch the assent :rolleyes:

Edited by sfokevin

Sorry meant the 29th

I just thought a nice comfortable restaurant a mile or so from the crowd & traffic might be a better spot to watch the assent :rolleyes:

You can see the Kom Loy off in the distance way up in the sky from across the street but it is not the same as being right there when they are first released, and of course you would not be able to participate yourself which is 1/2 the fun. I can't think of any nice restaurants in the area to be honest.

There is a very nice restaurant within the grounds of Mae Jo University. Not sure how accessible it would be with all the festivities, nor whether they'd be open, nor do I know the name of the restaurant. But there is definitely a very nice restaurant in there, further from the main road than the lantern launch site.