25 Resort Owners Told To Demolish Their Structures; Thai National Park Chief

webfact

25 resort owners told to demolish their structures

By PRASIT TANGPRASERT

THE NATION

Nakhon Ratchasima

Thap Lan National Park chief Thewin Meesap yesterday ordered the owners of 25 resorts, which were "illegally built" in the park area, to demolish their structures and move out of the area by the end of this month.

Action would be taken under the 1961 National Park Act, which does not allow any individual to carry out construction for business purposes in national park areas nationwide, he said.

LEGAL ACTION SINCE 2000

The Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation (DNP) had previously found that about 111 resorts were alleged to have illegally put up structures in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district and Thap Lan National Park in Prachinburi province. The DNP had taken legal action against these resorts since 2000 but found that about 53 of the 111 are still operating in the national park area. The DNP has ordered 25 of the 53 resorts to move out from the park area by the end of this month. The department is working to post "demolished" signs at the other 28 resorts.

RFD SEEKS SEARCH WARRANTS

Meanwhile, the Royal Forest Department (RFD) is waiting for court-ordered search warrants so it can find more evidence and gauge the position of another 22 resorts to verify if they and private homes were clearly built on Wang Nam Kheow's Phu Luang forest reserve.

The Nakhon Ratchasima provincial agricultural land reform office is also conducting an investigation into the misuse of land allocated to landless farmers for agricultural purposes.

The local land agency had allocated about 241,018 rai to 6,412 landless farmers in Wang Nam Kheow district but about 33 did not use the land for agriculture. They had sold their lands to other people, while about 17 farmers had developed their land for tourism.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-08

Just as important, are they going to force them to clean up what they tear down and replant the jungle? If not, then it's just going to be a massive mess.

I hope they start going around to ALL of the parks in Thailand to do this. I'm all for it. Enough is enough. Parks are for nature, not resorts.

My guess is this guy won't be in charge by the end of the week. Some sort of arrangement will be made so that the developers will be made whole and then some before they lose their rice bowl.

The unasked question here: What were these park officials doing when these encroachments were occuring? Oh, I forgot. Their job is not to enforce these laws, it's to use their official positions for private gain. Enforcing the law? Where is the profit potential in that?

Besides, most of the parks that I've been to in Thailand are already trashed.

Interesting that these government officials have found their voice now that the Democrats were defeated in the election. :whistling:

I hope these people stick to their demands and restore the national parks. If the polluters and encroachers incur a loss, too bad.

My guess is this guy won't be in charge by the end of the week. Some sort of arrangement will be made so that the developers will be made whole and then some before they lose their rice bowl.

The unasked question here: What were these park officials doing when these encroachments were occuring? Oh, I forgot. Their job is not to enforce these laws, it's to use their official positions for private gain. Enforcing the law? Where is the profit potential in that?

Besides, most of the parks that I've been to in Thailand are already trashed.

Spot-on in your assessment on all points!

Trash: the first couple of things that you notice when you go to Khao Sok National Park, besides the 150 or so muffler-less longtails, is the amount of trash that was tossed into the water. Nothing says Thai national park quite like floating plastic bags and water bottles. In many cases there is a trash can right beside where the trash was thrown. However, these trashcans are also seldom emptied on a regular basis.

So simple to build across the street from the parks and have everyone enjoy then. I'm all for tearing them down and making a point about it.

Sorry, you broke the law now live with it !

I'm with you too.

But why stop here ? I know an other class of people who break the law on a regular basis and seem to get away with it, at a great cost for the Thai society : foreigners !

All foreigners who have been in Thailand for more than 1 to 3 month within one year period without proper visa (employment, retirement ...) should immediately be kicked out, regardless of their familial situation in Thailand (wife, kids ...) and the investment they have made in the kingdom.

All the reasons that have been given to expel villagers and investors from Wang Nam Khieo can easily be recycled to to justify the immediate expulsion of overstayers from the Kingdom

Interesting that these government officials have found their voice now that the Democrats were defeated in the election. :whistling:

I hope these people stick to their demands and restore the national parks. If the polluters and encroachers incur a loss, too bad.

A quick study of recent Thai history shows that what you talk about crosses poltical boundaries. It is just a matter of who is in power protects their own and targets others. Move away from the hatred and obsession of one side in the political divide and learn to form balanced opinions. Peace

A quick study of recent Thai history shows that what you talk about crosses poltical boundaries. It is just a matter of who is in power protects their own and targets others. Move away from the hatred and obsession of one side in the political divide and learn to form balanced opinions. Peace

Especially I don't think the current action from the RFD is politically motivated. The recently elected PM is BJT so people talked of retaliation from PT, but the timing is not right.

I think it's more the case of an administration taking advantage of the political vacuum between two governments to consolidating its influence over a cash cow. Like B Clinton used to say, it's about the economy, stupid !

I wonder if this is a result of a certain ousted prime minister's policy of giving land to villagers for agriculture etc.,

Did the villagers just take the land and sell it to the rich so they could build hi-so resorts?

Forget using the land for long term benefit....lets just sell it for a quick profit and buy a fortuner, screw the future :o

Perhaps I'm off track here....

Since 2000, nearly half of those resorts found to be encroaching are still operating. This transcends several Thai governments (coalitions). The question/answer may be more revealing if you look at those in charge of the local monitoring system for encroachment. The "middle management: seem to have survived the change in government due to various employee safeguards/longevity, seemly recognized by those in higher positions. The system does seem to have the escape clause, 'it has always worked that way', without any judicial monitoring by those at the top of the sh.t pile.

If I were making a guess for the apparent recent 'enforcement attitude', I would wonder if any desire for a inflation adjusted increase, in tea monies, may have a bearing????

Piffle on the political angle, except that the political criminals change and enrich themselves and the other party loses part of the payoff. Politicians are simply at the top of the food chain, they have to payoff their high-ranking offiicials and on down.

There is a Thai cultural aspect that makes this unsolveable. You can point at a lot of things as evidence. But the most telling are the two polls I read about that something like 70% of the Thai respondents thought that corruption is OK.

So simple to build across the street from the parks and have everyone enjoy then. I'm all for tearing them down and making a point about it.

I'm with you too.

But why stop here ? I know an other class of people who break the law on a regular basis and seem to get away with it, at a great cost for the Thai society : foreigners !

All foreigners who have been in Thailand for more than 1 to 3 month within one year period without proper visa (employment, retirement ...) should immediately be kicked out, regardless of their familial situation in Thailand (wife, kids ...) and the investment they have made in the kingdom.

All the reasons that have been given to expel villagers and investors from Wang Nam Khieo can easily be recycled to to justify the immediate expulsion of overstayers from the Kingdom

Those grapes are REALLY SOUR, aren't they! I'll ask you again, get caught holding a dodgy lease when the excreta hit the rotary cooling device?

BTW I have a Type O Non-Imm, visa run next week.

"The DNP had taken legal action against these resorts since 2000.............." which sort of spreads it across the political spectrum a tad, wouldn't you say. And in their limited term, the Democrats had a few more pressing and distracting problems.

I look forward to your post when the whole stinking mess gets amicable and equitably "sorted" under the new minister.

Edited by OzMick

I'm with you too.

However if people have a visa of any discription issued through legal ways HOW are they breaking any law. Overstayers are always expelled if they are caught with expired visa so I can't see what point you are trying to make

"Thap Lan National Park chief Thewin Meesap yesterday ordered the owners of 25 resorts, which were "illegally built" in the park area, to demolish their structures and move out of the area by the end of this month."

Be interesting to see how many, if any, have complied at the end of the month! I am guessing none. :rolleyes:

:violin::boring:

I'm with you too.

Those grapes are REALLY SOUR, aren't they! I'll ask you again, get caught holding a dodgy lease when the excreta hit the rotary cooling device?

BTW I have a Type O Non-Imm, visa run next week.

Christ I have,..... didn't know I was breaking the law. Why then does Thai consulate give '0' visa for 90 days--one after another--if it's illegal--NOW a tourist visa is getting more difficult, On topic as a poster pointed out 50% are still operating 11 years on 5555555555555Ha Ha and to cap it all this head N.P chief is only saying now they have to be demolished, WHERE HAS HE BEEN HIDING ?????:lol::cheesy::giggle::redcard1:

One might point out that, since "The DNP had taken legal action against these resorts since 2000", then several years of Thaksin-led/inspired governments (under former-PMs Thaksin/Samak/Somchai) had similarly failed to shift the illegal-trespassers.

Could it perhaps be that corruption like this is so well-entrenched as to be beyond anybody's control ? <_<

I share your hope that this is sorted-out, and the national-parks should be restored, but I fear you share my own cynical suspicion that it won't be fixed in either of our lifetimes. That shouldn't stop anyone from trying, however. :(

Be interesting to see how many, if any, have complied at the end of the month! I am guessing none. :rolleyes:

Perhaps they will file for a court injunction - that will keep them in business for about 10 years or so. ;)

I Dont understand this peoples when you build a Resort you spend over 100 millions Baht why dont check everry thing

its legal or not to Built here so now dont crye next time just make sure your project its legal

Don't be so western. :rolleyes:

Legality has nothing to do with it, it's just a friendly wallet squeeze from the authorities who have to pay back the loan they used to buy their position.

Or if that's already paid back then some gas for their new s-class benz.

Nothing will be pulled down. They'll pay the powers the money to delay the case for as long as they want. Maybe even give the top brass some shares.

Just like the top cop share holder in that nightclub (licensed as a noodle stall) that burned down killing 66 people a few NYE's ago. Always raided and fined until Top Cop got some nice shares.

Edited by hehehoho

Anti-corruption body suggests boundary changes

By Pongphon Sarnsamak,

Prasit Tangprasert

The Nation

30162269-01.jpg

The Royal Forest Department (RFD) will allow 22 developers who built resorts and private homes on forest reserves in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district to remain in forest areas if they can show legal sor por kor title deeds to prove their ownership rights.

Meanwhile, the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) has proposed that the disputed boundaries between forest areas and residential areas in the district be redrawn and reshaped to resolve land-use conflicts between the National Resources and Environment Ministry's forest agencies and residents of Wang Nam Kheow district.

The director of the RFD's Forest Management Division 8 in Nakhon Ratchasima, Suthep Porwaretwittayalan, said his agency had completed an investigation of encroachment into the Phu Luang forest reserves in Wang Nam Kheow district. It had found clear evidence proving that 22 resorts and private homes were located in forest reserves.

His agency is now waiting for courts to authorise the issue of search warrants so it can find more evidence and gauge the position of the 22 resorts.

Under the search warrants, the 22 developers will be asked to present their sor por kor title deeds to RFD officials to prove their ownership of the land. If they fail to present the title deeds, they will be asked to demolish and remove the structures from the forest reserves.

Land-development tax certificates cannot be used to claim ownership of the lands, Suthep said.

"If they cannot present any documents to prove their ownership of the land, we will strictly enforce the law against them, as they have challenged the government's power," he said.

Aug-9-Wang-nam-kheow.jpg

Natural Resource and Environment Ministry permanent secretary Chote Trachoo said yesterday that the provincial RFD Forest Management Division in Nakhon Ratchasima could go ahead with legal action without the search warrants as the area where the 22 resorts and homes were located belong to the RFD.

PACC secretary-general Amphon Wongsiri said his agency would ask four land-related agencies - the RFD, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, the Agricultural Land Reform Office and the Land Development Department - to find a way out of the conflict over land use in Wang Nam Kheow district.

"Personally, I think the land-related agencies should find a way to solve these problems. Redrawing and reshaping the disputed boundaries between forest areas and residential areas in the district could be a way of resolving this conflict," he said.

In Nakhon Ratchasima province's Wang Nam Kheow district, about 15,571 rai (2,491 hectares) is held under private title deeds. About 324,300 rai is designated as forest area.

Of this, the Agricultural Land Reform Department has been allocated about 265,778 rai to grant to landless farmers. To date, it has distributed about 139,300 rai to about 6,412 landless farmers. About 125,354 rai of land is classified in another category.Amphon said the residents of Wang Nam Kheow claimed a lack of clarity in the boundaries between lands of various types had left them confused over whether their residential areas were located in forest reserves or on agricultural-reform land.

"The idea is to allow people who live on some degraded forest lands, which they have already developed as a residential area, to continue to stay, and force people who have encroached on forest reserves to move out of the area," he said. "However, this idea must be approved by the Cabinet."

After a meeting with five related agencies , he said he would propose a resolution of the land conflict to the new government.

However, PACC officials will go to Tambon Nongtakai, in Nakhon Ratchasima's Sung Noen district today to investigate another case of land encroachment after finding that more than 6,000 rai of public land has been taken by wealthy people who used their influence to force local officials to issue them with title deeds.

In a related development, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Phue Thai Party deputy leader and former Natural Resources and Environment Minister Plodprasop Surassawadee to receive a proposal submitted by the Land Reform Network which aims to resolve the land conflict within four years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-09

Deeds needed to stop demolition

By Pongphon Sarnsamak,

Prasit Tangprasert

The Nation

Anti-graft body says boundary changes may allow a compromise

The Royal Forest Department (RFD) will allow 22 developers who built resorts and private homes on forest land in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district to remain if they can show legal Sor Por Kor title deeds to prove ownership rights.

Meanwhile, the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) has proposed that disputed boundaries between forest areas and residences in the district be redrawn to resolve land-use conflict between the National Resources and Environment Ministry's forest agencies and residents in Wang Nam Kheow.

Suthep Porwaretwittayalan, head of the RFD's Forest Management Division 8 in Nakhon Ratchasima, said his agency had completed an inquiry into encroachment into Phu Luang forest reserve in Wang Nam Kheow. It had found clear evidence proving 22 resorts and private homes were located on forest land.

His agency is now waiting for courts to issue search warrants so it can get more evidence and gauge the position of the 22 resorts.

Under the search warrants, the 22 developers will be asked to present Sor Por Kor title deeds to RFD officials to prove their ownership of the land. If they fail to present the title deeds, they will be asked to demolish and remove structures on forest land.

Land-development tax certificates could not be used to claim ownership of land, Suthep said.

"If they cannot present any documents to prove their ownership of the land, we will strictly enforce the law against them, as they have challenged the government's power," he said.

Natural Resource and Environment Ministry permanent secretary Chote Trachoo said yesterday that RFD Forest management officials in Nakhon Ratchasima could go ahead with legal action without search warrants as the area where the 22 resorts and homes were located belonged to the RFD.

PACC secretary-general Amphon Wongsiri said his agency would ask four land-related agencies - the RFD, the Department of National Parks, Wildlife and Plant Conservation, the Agricultural Land Reform Office and the Land Development Department - to find a way out of the conflict over land use in Wang Nam Kheow.

"Personally, I think the land-related agencies should find a way to solve these problems. Redrawing and reshaping the disputed boundaries between forest areas and residential areas in the district could be a way of resolving this conflict," he said.

About 15,571 rai (2,491 hectares) in Wang Nam Kheow district is held under private title deeds, and about 324,300 rai designated as forest.

The Agricultural Land Reform Department had been allocated 265,778 rai to grant to landless farmers. To date, it has distributed just over half - 139,300 rai - to 6,412 farmers. Some 125,354 rai of land had been classified in another category.

Amphon said residents of Wang Nam Kheow claimed lack of clarity on boundaries of various types of land left them confused over whether their homes were located on forest reserves or agricultural-reform land.

"The idea is to allow people who live on some degraded forest lands, which they have already developed as a residential area, to continue to stay, and force people who have encroached on forest reserves to move out of the area," he said. "However, this idea must be approved by the Cabinet."

After a meeting with five related agencies, he said he would propose a resolution of the land conflict to the new government.

However, PACC officials will go to Tambon Nongtakai, in Nakhon Ratchasima's Sung Noen district today to investigate another case of land encroachment after finding that more than 6,000 rai of public land had been taken by wealthy people who used "influence" to force local officials to issue title deeds.

In a related development, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Pheu Thai Party deputy leader and former Natural Resources and Environment Minister Plodprasop Surassawadee to receive a proposal submitted by the Land Reform Network, which aims to resolve the land conflict within four years.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-09

The Royal Forest Department (RFD) will allow 22 developers who built resorts and private homes on forest land in Nakhon Ratchasima's Wang Nam Kheow district to remain if they can show legal Sor Por Kor title deeds to prove ownership rights.

Meanwhile, the Office of Public Sector Anti-Corruption Commission (PACC) has proposed that disputed boundaries between forest areas and residences in the district be redrawn to resolve land-use conflict between the National Resources and Environment Ministry's forest agencies and residents in Wang Nam Kheow.

At last, we are moving in the right direction smile.gif

Fair enough

In a related development, Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra has instructed Pheu Thai Party deputy leader and former Natural Resources and Environment Minister Plodprasop Surassawadee to receive a proposal submitted by the Land Reform Network, which aims to resolve the land conflict within four years.

More good news for everybody.

Are we going to finally see the end of this feudal land system ? smile.gif

At last we have a government who understands people outside Bangkok jap.gif

Edited by JurgenG