Relocation/living Questions

Spee

Hello Expats,

US expat here ... first post (sorry, a little long) so please bear with me ...

I am planning to marry a Thai woman that I met outside of Thailand. When we finalize our plans, we will relocate to Thailand for the wedding and for living. We want to make our home near her family in Northern Thailand near Chiang Mai and Lampang, and live in the Thai style.

I have already read much of what I can find on Northern (Lanna) style Thai weddings, as well as the various legalities and red tape for marriages between Thai and US nationals.

I've also read much of what I can find from available travel books. I have also been developing Thai language speaking and writing skills, with the goal of one day becoming fluent.

My profession is IT networking. I have not yet decided if I will try to find work in Thailand, or if I will travel for work throughout the SE Asia region.

What I am looking for now is information that I can't find in bookstores, the internet, or from my girlfriend. Can anyone offer any other helpful hints or advice? Specifically, I'm looking for thoughts and input on ...

- For the marriage, how to best pop the question. My girlfriend is a traditional Thai girl. Her father and first husband are deceased, but the mother is living. So I don't know if it is proper protocol to just go ahead and ask her directly, or should I get in touch with the surviving parent and ask first. My western way says is okay to just ask her directly, but I don't want make a faux paux with tradition either.

- How is the real estate market in Northern Thailand, in and around Chiang Mai and Lampang? My girlfriend tells me that we can get a nice house in the $25K-$35K (1M-1.4M baht) price range. But I have no idea how little or how much house and land this will really buy. I'd rather spend more to get more, if needed. But I have no way to gauge accurately at this point. I've seen a few real estate ads on the web, but have no basis for comparison. Is it better to buy land and buy from the ground up?

- For developing language skills, does anyone have any other advice besides available software and websites? My girlfriend helps me, and I'm coming along okay, but I need a more formal environment. Any recommendations for training in Thailand or elsewhere?

- How is the technology job scene in Thailand? Is anyone out there in this field? I have quite a bit of experience with a broad range of desktop and networking technologies, in addition to program/project management. Are there any Thailand or SE Asia tech job search websites besides the usual ones (e.g., Dice, Monster, etc.).

- What are the schools like, both public and private? My girlfriend has a young daughter and we would like to have more children. But I am leery of public education and I would want to send them to the best schools that we can afford.

Any other helpful hints, thoughts and ideas are also welcome.

Please feel free to respond to the forum, via e-mail or both.

Thanks in advance for replies,

Spee

-Marriage - as this is not her first you should be able to ask her directly and she can give you any further advise.

-Real estate - as you must know you can not buy or own land in Thailand so any money used to buy property in 'her' name must be certified as hers alone (just a paper). Basic home on small plot would probably be in that price range outside of the city. You could spend much more if you want. IMHO you should not even be thinking about homes at this stage.

-Believe AUA course is considered one of the best for Thai language. If outside of Thailand there is usually someone at a Thai wat who can help.

-Jobs for expats are not something that grow on trees. For a lifetime decision would advise you to think long and hard before you make the move. You are aware of visa/work permits and minimum wage required to live here. If you are currently living outside the US perhaps you have some idea of what you are getting into but if not be careful.

-Only larger cities will have decent private schools and the best cost a whole lot (10k USD per year seems to ring a bell). Very few expats, outside of diplomats and senior company officials, can afford them

Very good advise from Lopburi, As stated,you can not own property, but Lampang is a nice area and not to far from CM,and the land prices are better there than CM, for $30,000 US dollars you should be able to get a very nice home, Bank of Asia has some for sale there and so does Chiang Mai Reality and they both have web pages for some ideas.

as to the wedding,If in the usa,just go ahead and get married there and then have the traditional Thai wedding here,as you can then register the US marriage at the amphur if you so wish,cause you will have to do that anyway as the traditional is not legal.all it is for is so you can spend a lot of money for food,booze and presents for the family and the monks.

My Thai wife reccomended that we forego the traditional as we do not drink and she doesn't like to be around drunks,and it was Ok with me as I don't either.so we just had her sisters and mom and dad over for a nice dinner.

I don't know a lot about Northern Thailand but I was also in the IT industry back in the UK before I moved to Phuket 18 months ago. According to the Thai government they want to encourage IT companies to set up in Thailand, and have designated certain areas as IT hubs these include Changmai and Phuket.

From what I have seen down here its all talk and no action, although if you set up an IT company you can in theory get your work permit approved faster.

In terms of the job market there a few companies outside of BKK that can afford to pay western IT staff they prefer to rely on Thai's. Having said that there are openings, you just to look and put the word out. If you set yourself up as a one man band IT company and get your work permit (like I have done) its surprising just how much work you can find (sometimes too much).

Certainly down here in Phuket there are a lot of foreign owned business that all require IT services of some kind, whether its just a PC, a website or a whole full blown secure LAN with broadband internet access. Its often difficult and time consuming dealing with local computer companies. They are very good at putting PC's together but when it comes to more complex issues I find they struggle.

So, what I have done is expanded some of my skills to include more advanced web site design and broadband internet security aswell desktop and networking. With these I am now starting to find a lot of suitable jobs, from basic on call support, to setting up web sites, optimizing sites and even installinf webcams. For support services I just charge by the hour (cash) and it seems to work pretty well.

You have skills that they don't and I sure will a little effort you can have a nice easy little earner here and as it gets going employ a Thai pay them well and train them yourself.

I look at this way, you don't compete with them, they have to compete with you.

Good Luck

Mike

good post Mike.

I am upskilling again doing diploma in IT and maybe degree.

I was only doing it for work really as am pissed off with my present position and they will pay of course. I can retire from Oz and still have options if needed.