Number (Registration) Plates.

phetphet

I remember reading quite recently (I can't remember where), about the Samui police fining people for riding motorbikes with red number plates.

I did a little bit of a search on the net, and found that these are plates issued by dealers, with some restrictions.

Anyone know what these restrictions are? Is it likely that I would be issued with these plates when buying a new bike?

Found this site whilst trying to find some info. http://driving.information.in.th/license-plates.html

Just in case someone wants a multi-coloured one. :-)

If on red plated I think you're not allowed to ride/drive after 22:00 or leave the province they were issued in.

Probably just a scam by the BIB to top up their tea money.

Best to ask your dealer who is going to issue the plates.

If on red plated I think you're not allowed to ride/drive after 22:00 or leave the province they were issued in.

Probably just a scam by the BIB to top up their tea money.

Best to ask your dealer who is going to issue the plates.

I know for sure you cannot leave the country with red plates. I can't see why travelling to another province should be an issue, surely people have to do that with temp plates, especially more likely when not living on an island? Never heard anything about after 22.00 hours...

Just for info, if travelling out of Thailand, Malaysia in my case:

When you have the new white plate... you to get your own plate translated into English...on paper.... MVB in Lipa Noi, does that, plus a letter from Immigration. ..... when you cross the border into Malaysia, they give you a stick on plate... in English... "BLAH 090 STN".... (STN = Surrathannii) ... Not sure if same for Laos or Cambodia. Burma I believe you cannot enter except by plane.

If you have red plates, check with your dealer, they (Honda Shop, shop for me) said one month to come, but I waited nearly two months and kept going to the shop to see if they had arrived... Police never stopped me during that time.... but always wear your helmet, then you are less likely to get pulled over~! ;)

I had red plate on a new Mazda truck and the rules was no driving between sunset and sunrise.

If I had to go to another province, I needed to fill an official logbook that I kept in the truck. This was an official log book issued to the dealer by Land Transport office and bearing the red plate number.

Logbook stated departure time, reason for travel, destination info and arrival time.

I was stopped one time outside the province ( daylight) and a cop wanted to check the logbook and I was on my way.

I guess that with motorcycle the logbook is never given to the buyer as few go outside their province but the sunset-sunrise rule must apply.

Edited by cnx355

temporary red plates can be used for 30 days/3.000km after date of delivery/date of first Insurance

they can not be used after dark

they can not be used out of Province

However, the 2 last ones, no one cares

buying a bike, you should stress with your dealer you require legal white plates and reg book in your name within the legal 30 days. until its reg in your name, dealer/maker owns the bike despite you have paid for it

temporary red plates can be used for 30 days/3.000km after date of delivery/date of first Insurance

buying a bike, you should stress with your dealer you require legal white plates and reg book in your name within the legal 30 days. until its reg in your name, dealer/maker owns the bike despite you have paid for it

Knew there was some sort of Time / Province restrictions but as mentioned couldn't remember exactly what.

Not all of the dealers seem to use the red plate system though, I'm still waiting for my plate and currently have none.

The police up here are happy with the fact it's a brand new bike therefore I have to wait for the plate. In fact, I've never been questioned over it with any of the three bikes I've bought in the last 12 months.

Knew there was some sort of Time / Province restrictions but as mentioned couldn't remember exactly what.

Not all of the dealers seem to use the red plate system though, I'm still waiting for my plate and currently have none.

The police up here are happy with the fact it's a brand new bike therefore I have to wait for the plate. In fact, I've never been questioned over it with any of the three bikes I've bought in the last 12 months.

yep in BKK and some Provinces, they do not use red plates on bikes, and purchsing a place like that and riding to a red plate province w o plate seems to work fine if checked