Dual Citizenship (us & Thai)

This trip she will use US pp all the way since we will be incountry less than 30 days, but the whole reason to renew her Thai pp was to allow longer stays in Thailand. She is wondering (as am I) if she will have to follow the same visa rules I will when we retire and start staying longer.

Mr Red,

Just an observation that you may want to file away......

My Thai wife has yet use her Thai passport to enter Thailand (worried like your wife), but instead entered on her US passport, getting a '30-day no visa required' stamp. This was four years ago. During that initial 30 days, she went to Immigration and got a one year extension stamp (and multiple entry stamp) based on being a Thai national (you and I need Non Imms, but all she needed was proof of Thai nationality). This, for 5700 baht, she has renewed every year, as she spends most of her time here. (That 5700 baht says let's try the Thai passport, but so far she hasn't budged.)

Two weeks ago, when leaving the US on United, the check-in agent looked at both our passports to ensure we had visas, since we didn't have return tickets. My Non Imm and her extension stamp did the trick. But if this had been four years ago, when she was coming to Thailand without a visa, this might have been a problem with United had they then been adhering then to the 'return ticket needed if no visa.' Maybe in this case flashing her Thai passport would have done the trick, but I don't know.

My point: When you all finally plan to come here for longer than 30 days, and she plans to get a one-year extension stamp, you might also want to get her a visa too just to preclude any glitches at the airline counter. I guess a single tourist visa would be the cheapest.

Just a heads-up.

And SALN, do you really think there aren't hundreds if not thousands of Americans with dual citizenship? Lop does not write cr@p, he is a mine of useful information.

Remember to mind your manners when posting:

I look forward to seeing you reprimand others who post using unparliamentary language.

Read the forum rules, flaming of members is not allowed. And yes, I do let people know when they have gone over the top.

Read the forum rules, flaming of members is not allowed. And yes, I do let people know when they have gone over the top.

Point taken. I hadn't intended to insult Lop, but an overreaction to a post I disagreed with. However, I acknowledge that anyone reading the post will read my comment as insulting. Sincere apologies to Lopburi3.

Otherwise, you can still try my poipet visa run trick and get your japanese passport stamped out.

I'm not so sure if I want to try that not knowing what the risks are getting caught doing it. Ever heard of anyone done it? First of all will they let me back into Thai side of the border without getting my Thai passport stamped just by telling them I forgot something in Thailand? And does this amount to illegal entry/exit? Will I be prosecuted (if there's any prosecution or punishment) as a Thai citizen or as a foreigner? :o

You might just wanting to try and leave the country on your Thai PP next time seeing that you have one. 'Lose' your Japanese one (or not) and forget about getting the exit stamp for that one.

And what about the 90 days report thingy that I still do? What's going to happen to me if one day I stop reporting claiming I am now a Thai citizen? :o

Otherwise, you can still try my poipet visa run trick and get your japanese passport stamped out.

Samran,

I have a former TG employee in my company who used to work at Don Muang in charge of inbound passengers service and he told me your Poipet visa run trick won't work. You can always slip through and come back to the other side of the immigration counter but not without leaving the passport you have passed there with. :o