Finding Things That You Take For Granted In The West!

martspec

When I came here first time I needed a good pain pill and there is no such thing in Thailand. If you are really in bad pain you have 2 choices, live with it or get admitted to hospital and beg usually unsuccessfully for a morphine IV. I have a very bad ankle and I use hydrocodone in america. I searched every pharmacy I could find including hospital pharmacies and always heard don't have it. It was 3 weeks before I found a pharmacist who could speak enough English and knew her drugs well enough to tell me it was illegal in Thailand. I do not have the foggiest notion why not because it is only very mildly habit forming. I have been using it since my 2001 plane crash and spent 9 hours in OR getting my left ankle reconstructed. I only take it when the pain is really bad and only to get to sleep. They only peddle NSAID's which kill your liver and have huge dangerous side effects but they are afraid of anything with any narcotics at all. I am always looking for something that I cannot find here. Now I am looking for Epsom Salts. This is not a dangerous although it has magnesium and sulphate in it and so does explosives and gun powder and a lot of other things like dirt. I guess they will be banning dirt soon. The technical name is magnesium sulfate and everyone should have it in their home for treating sprains and sore muscles. It is also used as a laxative. Maybe you have heard of Philips Milk of magnesia. It will successfully treat baldness and other hair problems, Acne and will add magnesium to your body through absorption and flush toxic substances out of your body. When I was a child it was the first line treatment for bumps bruises, and sprains. Now many people do not even know what it is. I have been told Chinese herbalists have it but I cannot find one that has it. I have been told garden shops and plant shops have it to add magnesium to the soil but none I have tried have it. I was told by a Pharmacist that hospitals have it but so far I cannot find it. I am in Udon Thani and I found a forum in the south that mentioned where to get it in Phuket, Pattaya and Bangkok but nothing in this area.

I hope someone will enjoy my rant and maybe even know where to buy some Epsom Salts. I married a Thai lady but I try and think I can never live here.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty sure I have seen Milk of Magnesia and Epsom salts in the Pharmacy sections of Tesco's and in Boots in both Pattaya and BKK of course it may have been Watsons....but certain I have seen them...

ps when you write a post....try and put things in paragraphs, not trying to be an English Nazi, but you post is very hard to read...:rolleyes:

While we're on the "where can you find this...anyone seen methylated spirits around??There seems to be thinners and other stuff but no meths-I need it to try out a clothes cleaning method not for drinking...although with the price of wine here in Thailand.....

Pretty sure I have seen Milk of Magnesia and Epsom salts in the Pharmacy sections of Tesco's and in Boots in both Pattaya and BKK of course it may have been Watsons....but certain I have seen them...

ps when you write a post....try and put things in paragraphs, not trying to be an English Nazi, but you post is very hard to read...:rolleyes:

Well I will not question your memory but none here in Udon at Tesco, Boots, Big , Watsons or any pharmacy I have visited. A pharmacist here who spoke very good English told me they can not sell it. I have no idea why. She told me I can get Epsom Salts at hospital but all the hospitals I have visited here are like a Chinese fire drill and no one seems to speak any English.

Anyway, Thanks for your reply!

I am sensing where a laxative might be what is missing in your life. :whistling:

Hi, Not sure where you got the idea I needed a laxative but eating Thai food everyday is all the laxative I need. I would never use Epsom salts for a laxative anyway. What it is best for is healing aches and pains, especially joint pain and getting magnesium in your body quickly when you are deficient.

I am sensing where a laxative might be what is missing in your life. :whistling:

Hi, Not sure where you got the idea I needed a laxative but eating Thai food everyday is all the laxative I need. I would never use Epsom salts for a laxative anyway. What it is best for is healing aches and pains, especially joint pain and getting magnesium in your body quickly when you are deficient.

*sigh*

You mentioned laxatives. Magnesium is a laxative. Milk of Magnesia can be used as a laxative.

You seem quite uptight and mentioned you were ranting. Hence, the need for a laxative that you yourself mentioned. Okie, dokey?

I can spell it out further for you if necessary, but prefer not to.

Medication has not ranked high on the things I have struggled to find.

Cotton socks - decent quality cotton socks that you can wear on your feet or use for straining broken glass out your whisky, should the need arise.

Though even then, I could not say that I've struggled; its just something I stock up on whenever I'm in a Western cotton sock emporium.

SC

Cotton socks - decent quality cotton socks that you can wear on your feet or use for straining broken glass out your whisky, should the need arise.

Though even then, I could not say that I've struggled; its just something I stock up on whenever I'm in a Western cotton sock emporium.

SC

It is not quite like a crushed ankle but I have not been able to find any of my ex wives here. I must admit to the cotton sock thing. I don't know where to buy them. Anyone have a source? Price is not really an object. I don't much care for giving my credit card out over the INTERNET here. I would actually like to see them before I bought them anyway. The docs would only give me morphine for three days after an operation, I know what you mean about that.

It is from my experience through other foreigners here that have the need for prescription meds is to go to the local hospital and coordinate with your doctor here and where you lived before coming. Your Thai wife can translate for you. Tylenol with Codeine in 300 and 500 is available but controlled. One of the things you will struggle with forever is living where you do you will not have access to much western items at all which is why most seem to move there, to go off grid so to speak. As for NSaid medicines, as with any medicines they all offer warning information as some people might be effected by it as with Tylenol or plain old aspirin.

If you are going to move there I would start setting up your network now to get this all in place. It is not hard but does take time.

SC

It is not quite like a crushed ankle but I have not been able to find any of my ex wives here. I must admit to the cotton sock thing. I don't know where to buy them. Anyone have a source? Price is not really an object. I don't much care for giving my credit card out over the INTERNET here. I would actually like to see them before I bought them anyway. The docs would only give me morphine for three days after an operation, I know what you mean about that.

For all you high quality cotton needing sock guys, I recommend you contact a friend back home and have them send your favorite comfy ones over. Here I have found in passing that Super Sports in Central Malls seem to have some good quality deals from Adidas but you are gonna pay a premium. It is better to order and have them sent.

When I visit the US I frequently bring back various things for friends here, like bedding, plain white T shirts, deodorants, special tools, motorcycle parts and gear etc. Set it up with a friend. That method is free of shipping costs

While we're on the "where can you find this...anyone seen methylated spirits around??There seems to be thinners and other stuff but no meths-I need it to try out a clothes cleaning method not for drinking...although with the price of wine here in Thailand.....

Tesco's pharmacy section, Wastons, Boots....seen meths all over

Bovril

Raker's old chap you seem to be getting very despondent of the the lack of Bovril in your diet....in the course of my travels around Pattaya/BKK if I happen to come across some (usually find it in Villa Major in BKK) or that place down stairs in Central Pattaya, I will gladly pick you up a couple of jars, and we can come up with a cunning plan to get it too you...

As a fellow Bovril addict, I do feel your pain....

Wibble....

Aaaaah socks.... M & S for me. Bloody expensive but they seem to manage the Thai laundry test (6 months so far) and currently they have ones with the days of the week on them for those forgetful people. However it doesn't seem they do white socks which in any case should only be seen in sports shoes and TEFL teachers anyway.

However it doesn't seem they do white socks which in any case should only be seen in sports shoes and TEFL teachers anyway.

I am intrigued...where exactly does one put a a white M&S sock in a TEFL teacher ?...their mouth's, their bottoms ?......seems a waste of good sock....:lol:

However it doesn't seem they do white socks which in any case should only be seen in sports shoes and TEFL teachers anyway.

I am intrigued...where exactly does one put a a white M&S sock in a TEFL teacher ?...their mouth's, their bottoms ?......seems a waste of good sock....:lol:

It doesn't seem right, if it still smells of whisky, and there might be broken glass in it.

For an earlier poster - if you can't remember what day it is without checking your socks... Zoiks!

SC

Tesco's pharmacy section, Wastons, Boots....seen meths all over

Ideal as a cologne or an aperitif.

protects against mosquitos and fleas, but not so good against smokers... flaming smokers....

SC

Bovril

Raker's old chap you seem to be getting very despondent of the the lack of Bovril in your diet....in the course of my travels around Pattaya/BKK if I happen to come across some (usually find it in Villa Major in BKK) or that place down stairs in Central Pattaya, I will gladly pick you up a couple of jars, and we can come up with a cunning plan to get it too you...

Wibble....

Thanks SP

I have been informed by the kindly folks at Villa that they will let me know when the next batch comes in.

Fingers crossed.

Bovril

Wibble....

Thanks SP

I have been informed by the kindly folks at Villa that they will let me know when the next batch comes in.

Fingers crossed.

Don't know what Villa's problem is. I buy 2 dozen jars a week there and resell in Trat central and Koh Chang to all the Brit expats at a tidy profit. :whistling:

Well I will not question your memory but none here in Udon at Tesco, Boots, Big , Watsons or any pharmacy I have visited. A pharmacist here who spoke very good English told me they can not sell it. I have no idea why. She told me I can get Epsom Salts at hospital but all the hospitals I have visited here are like a Chinese fire drill and no one seems to speak any English.

Anyway, Thanks for your reply!

Consider moving to Pattaya... you can get itterally anything in some pharmacies here...

I'm coming for you happybob

:P

Seriously, they've always had it in stock when I was there, even just last week, on Soi 33. It's the Branston Pickle Relish that's always out of stock. Can't have a proper ham sandwhich, unless you want to buy that Schwarzengger size Coleman's can which goes moldy in a month.

Decent black pudding. And by decent I don't mean that chopped up Winalot excrement they try to fob you off with here

Tesco sell something, it's not called black pudding but it's close and I thought it tasted very good. It is in the section with salami etc.

Decent black pudding. And by decent I don't mean that chopped up Winalot excrement they try to fob you off with here

Tesco sell something, it's not called black pudding but it's close and I thought it tasted very good. It is in the section with salami etc.

Cheers I'll give it a look.

One of lifes true sayings "There's never an advantage without a disadvantage". Living in Thailand is the advantage, so not being able to buy some things you are used to is the disadvantage. However with careful sourcing most things can be found, otherwise the trip back home is the remedy. We usually return each year for a month or so but have found that our shopping list in the UK gets smaller each year. Its down to Parsnips and Swedes this year, for me anyway. My wife seems to think that UK clothes are cheaper and better than those sold in Thailand, especially so for our numerous nephews, nieces and families new borns or the very young.