Ipad Use In Thailand

speerbob

I bought an iPad her in the US. It's the one with a SIM so it can be used internationally. I'll be at my house in Ban Lawia, Prakone Chai, Burrium in December. Is there any way it would work there? There is a cell tower near the house. Can a get a SIM someplace for it? No idea id G3 is available there or not. Any help would be great! Thanks, BOB

In theory you should be able to use the IPad with a data sim...

Since you live there (Your house) I assume you know which cell provider has the best reception from the cell tower near your house... AIS or True hopefully - Both these cell provider sell standard microsims for the IPad with data plans...

In practice you will have problems if your reception from the tower is bad and the provider may not have upgraded the hardware at that cell tower to provide 3G speeds... :rolleyes:

Take you iPad to a local AIS Telwiz shop and ask for a Micro Sim.. Then have them set up a mid priced prepaid plan (just to try say the 350 baht 1mb plan the first month)...

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/internet-package/

Then go home and try it out... If you like it :D

I got an ais package on my ipad and its utter crap. Gf told me to get Dtac but i was stupid thought AIS who had 3g would be the better choice. It was not. Ok no 3g but i expected that but also no viable edge in the provinces around BKK.

I got an ais package on my ipad and its utter crap. Gf told me to get Dtac but i was stupid thought AIS who had 3g would be the better choice. It was not. Ok no 3g but i expected that but also no viable edge in the provinces around BKK.

You are the OP of the other thread "Apple is Bullshit"... I see a pattern emerging...

Sent from my AIS 3G connected iPad

You are the OP of the other thread "Apple is Bullshit"... I see a pattern emerging...

Good for you i won't hijack this thread. Its just apple is hyped too much to see the bad sides of it. How it controls what you can do with your ipad. But the bad connection from AIS has nothing to do with this.

Just because im critical of a hyped product does not mean my complaints are not valid. Apple is hyped and apple users bash pc users. Now i bash a little back on real experience. I always. But please keep it in my thread not here. Like i said dont want to hijack this one.

Tell me where are you located. I have a perfect connection in my home on my own network. But the moment i am in the outskirts of BKK i have no connection (did not try the center as i dont live there).

I rather solve the AIS problem then having to go to DTAC or something like that. An IPAD is IMHO a lot less usefull without internet even limited internet

Edited by robblok

I recently bought an iPad mark 1, and I am happy with it for the knocked down price I paid.

One problem is that I cannot post on TVisa with it. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way around it. The keyboard function works very well with all other applications.

I recently bought an iPad mark 1, and I am happy with it for the knocked down price I paid.

One problem is that I cannot post on TVisa with it. Does anyone else have this problem and is there a way around it. The keyboard function works very well with all other applications.

Sent from the iPad :jap:

This reply is from an iPad 1. Download the Opera mini browser,it's free from the US app store and works great for Thaivisa. Works fine for other stuff too. I hear iPad 2's don't have the problem posting on these boards with Safari. But I won't complain about the iPad 1 other than no camera, especially when a friend that owns some Apple repair shops gave it to me. It's great for my wife to use with the built in Thai language and keyboard that's swithable from English to Thai with the tap of a button!

Good for you i won't hijack this thread. Its just apple is hyped too much to see the bad sides of it. How it controls what you can do with your ipad. But the bad connection from AIS has nothing to do with this.

Just because im critical of a hyped product does not mean my complaints are not valid. Apple is hyped and apple users bash pc users. Now i bash a little back on real experience. I always. But please keep it in my thread not here. Like i said dont want to hijack this one.

Tell me where are you located. I have a perfect connection in my home on my own network. But the moment i am in the outskirts of BKK i have no connection (did not try the center as i dont live there).

I rather solve the AIS problem then having to go to DTAC or something like that. An IPAD is IMHO a lot less usefull without internet even limited internet

I won't hijack this thread as well, but after three pages of the "Apple is Bullshit" thread that you started, and going on and on about this "hype" that seems to irritate you so much, the only real complaint you had was the difficulty in trying to work around the system by using a foreign credit card to access the US Apple store. Now in this thread it's AIS that sucks.

Do us all a favour and and yourself as well - sell your iPad, and then come back and try your best to offer something constructive here.

You should be able to use GSM data (2G:GPRS/EDGE - ~ 200-ish Kbps downstream) as both AIS/One-2-Call and DTAC/Happy have deployed 2G on almost all base-stations. Truemove has also just completed a significant 2G build-out in the Northeast (according to their Q211 investor/financial report).

AIS claims 100% coverage with EDGE+ at 384 Kbps http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/internet-package/

Further AIS did just launch 3G in a number of locations. You can check coverage here:

http://www.ais.co.th/mobileinternet/3g/coverage/#3

Not sure what to recommend? All 3 providers offer micro-SIMs and data, and iPad data-specific packages. Maybe best to wait to get in situ then ask around?

Cell coverage is not perfect. You can not rely on ANY coverage map. There are many variables that have to be taken into account - How far are you from the cell towers?... Is there any obstructions between you and the tower?... What is your house made of?... How many people in your area are accessing the cell system at any given point... Etc...

As I stated earlier you should talk to you neighbors and ask them what service they have and what works or does not work for them... Then look at your setup and location - Sadly in rural (And many urban) areas you are just out of luck reception wise...

Edited by sfokevin

I won't hijack this thread as well, but after three pages of the "Apple is Bullshit" thread that you started, and going on and on about this "hype" that seems to irritate you so much, the only real complaint you had was the difficulty in trying to work around the system by using a foreign credit card to access the US Apple store. Now in this thread it's AIS that sucks.

Do us all a favour and and yourself as well - sell your iPad, and then come back and try your best to offer something constructive here.

I am being constructive im warning people not to fall for the hype. Its a good product, i wont deny that i bought it. But its not such a leap compared to other products. That is all what i want to say. I really did not want to hijack this but the fan boys seem to be determined to make me bite. And it was the Thai shop i went to use the credit card in not the US shop (found that out later)

Yes it is or was AIS that sucked. I expected better coverage (not 3g just edge). The first day i did not have much coverage at all. Now it seems to be better (don't ask me why).

Maybe they had to activate the sim better or what. I really don't know. But i was quite disappointed about it.

Now it has been good on the places i went too. I just hope that next time i can get coverage too on the fishing spot i go to. I bought the device as an advanced e reader (yes it was the best choice better as kindle for my purposes). But i could not read my emails with tax info in them because of the AIS connection.

I must have been unlucky with the coverage that day. I will let you guys know next time i go out. I think its important to know what providers have good coverage and what ones not.

I just went for AIS because i figured its the most expensive so ill get the best. (faulty reasoning but there it was).

Edited by robblok

This reply is from an iPad 1. Download the Opera mini browser,it's free from the US app store and works great for Thaivisa. Works fine for other stuff too. I hear iPad 2's don't have the problem posting on these boards with Safari. But I won't complain about the iPad 1 other than no camera, especially when a friend that owns some Apple repair shops gave it to me. It's great for my wife to use with the built in Thai language and keyboard that's swithable from English to Thai with the tap of a button!

That is quite nice indeed. Took me a while to find out why the hell i was typing so bad. I found out it was correcting my Dutch into English words. But after i set it up good it works like a charm.

Just curious can't you just upgrade your safari so its the same as on an ipad 2 ?

That is quite nice indeed. Took me a while to find out why the hell i was typing so bad. I found out it was correcting my Dutch into English words. But after i set it up good it works like a charm.

Just curious can't you just upgrade your safari so its the same as on an ipad 2 ?

I have the latest version of Safari on my iPad and my iPod touch, which I'm writing this reply on and they don't work right with this board program that TV uses. I used the IPB app for boards for a while but it doesn't work right now either. Opera works, so that's what I'm using. Safari works fine on my computers though...

I have the latest version of Safari on my iPad and my iPod touch, which I'm writing this reply on and they don't work right with this board program that TV uses. I used the IPB app for boards for a while but it doesn't work right now either. Opera works, so that's what I'm using. Safari works fine on my computers though...

Real strange, so it seem Apple has its mysteries of non operating too. I would have thought the problem would be solved by just updating everything.

Should be so much easier for Apple as other companies as they control everything that goes into an ipad and what software gets on it.

Too bad for you my ipad 2 works good with it. I find it strange.

Real strange, so it seem Apple has its mysteries of non operating too. I would have thought the problem would be solved by just updating everything.

Should be so much easier for Apple as other companies as they control everything that goes into an ipad and what software gets on it.

Why is it too bad for me? I'm using my iPad to reply to this and I don't have any problem with using Opera..

Why is it too bad for me? I'm using my iPad to reply to this and I don't have any problem with using Opera..

Its too bad because its obviously a fault in the design / software. If you prefer opera then its not a problem.

Its too bad because its obviously a fault in the design / software. If you prefer opera then its not a problem.

Since there is a newer model of the iPad and according to you Safari works with the IP Board software, I guess they did fix it. They probably don't really care if Safari doesn't work with an older iPad with the board software. IP Board software has had some issues in the past with other browsers from what I've read over the years... I haven't had any problem with any other website that I can think of other than TV using this iPad and Safari...

Since there is a newer model of the iPad and according to you Safari works with the IP Board software, I guess they did fix it. They probably don't really care if Safari doesn't work with an older iPad with the board software. IP Board software has had some issues in the past with other browsers from what I've read over the years... I haven't had any problem with any other website that I can think of other than TV using this iPad and Safari...

Ok, i just thought it would be as simple as an update and then all was fixed. Anyway if you always use opera or something like that then ok. I did not try opera so far only safari. On my pc i use firefox.

• 4 weeks later...

It all comes down to location location location!

I've had Ipad 2, 3g since it came out, May I think it was?....

I've tried all the Sim providers here, and at my house (not that far from town, less than 2 km, the reception is cr-p... :angry: closer to "town" it's fine.

Giving up on waiting for 3g to come, (to Samui).

I know (3g) does work very well, as I used it in Malaysia, in July and was a very happy camper, it did not matter where I was... signal good every where...:)

So what it comes down to with me, at least, it's how much traveling one does in areas in Thailand, with weaker signals or rural areas away from Wi Fi.

I'll use a laptop and my CAT MC 727 modem "on the road", as that works just fine...

Thanks Jimi007 . Sending this on Opera so works a treat. Took me a while to find how to login TV though.

Whikst I'm relieved Opera works, it's not a treat. It's clumsy and slow. Getting a response from touching the screen is touch and go.....or not go.

There are no options more than simple text and no quotes links etc etc.

Love the iPad for readin books and listening podcasts in bed but apart from it's portability which is offset by it's non connectibility i wish i hadn't bought one. Oh for an Air 11 inch....

.....not to mention on Opera

No search function

No resizing text so it's not microscopic

Go to the bottom of the page, click full version. It will give some of the same features as on Safari. The smiley faces, links or quotes don't seem though... The forum likes you to use standard text size. text size works to read a larger text size, use the zoom function; spreading two fingers apart. It doesn't work when you're in post mode though. It all mostly has to do with this forums software. It just wasn't made for the iPad! I'm just playing with it to see what works and what does with Opera. I have no idea if all the functions on the forum work with an iPad 2 either...

Edited by Jimi007

.....not to mention on Opera

No search function

No resizing text so it's not microscopic

Go to the bottom of the page, click full version. It will give some of the same features as on Safari. The smiley faces, links or quotes don't seem though... The forum likes you to use standard text size. text size works to read a larger text size, use the zoom function; spreading two fingers apart. It doesn't work when you're in post mode though. It all mostly has to do with this forums software. It just wasn't made for the iPad! I'm just playing with it to see what works and what does with Opera. I have no idea if all the functions on the forum work with an iPad 2 either...

Search works. George was at one point having an App for this forum written, I never heard what happened with that! So they know there are issues with this forum's software and the iPad. The iPad seems to work fine on most other web sites, unless of course it an Adobe Flash page. Ah, it seems a bit quicker it you choose the mobile setting instead of the Thaivisa2 setting near the bottom of the page...

Edited by Jimi007