Taiwanese Restaurant

KRS1

Last year i frequented a Taiwanese restaurant on Huay Kaew road, then came back this year to find that it was gone....

BUT the other day i was riding around and spotted their new location inside the soi next to Nakorn Ping...So if anyone use to go there and thinks that it dispeared...it's still there, and the food still taste the same, best deal on gyoza around, if you haven't tried Taiwanese noodles...theyre delicious especially the texture.

I used to love that place even though I saw the kitchen once which was incredibly filthy. My wife says the quality has gone down since they moved and since the old man and the younger man he trained don't seem to be around anymore. They were both Chinese but the wife who is running the place now is Thai and according to my wife don't do the noodles the same. On your recommendation I'm going to try it again and ignore my wife. For the other poster the name of the restaurant is 'Taiwan Restaurant'. Used to be the absolutely best noodles in Chiang Mai.

BUT the other day i was riding around and spotted their new location inside the soi next to Nakorn Ping

Where is the Nakorn Ping?

Nakornping Condominium is on soi Ratchaphrunk--it is the soi off of Huay Kaew Road just across from the Shell Petrol Station.

I have eaten there at least a couple of times per month for several years (old and new locations). Home made dumplings are excellent and very Taiwanese, also the hot and sour soup and Taiwanese style fried rice. The new place is certainly much cleaner and brighter (I too saw the old kitchen :o - very Taiwanese ;) - having spent quite a bit of time in that country I have seen FAR worse in Taipei yet still eaten excellent food).

Shame the old man isn't there anymore, always very friendly. A couple of my friends from North of the border speak Chinese (Jin haw) and were always chatting away with him about the latest news and gossip from that part of the world. Seems like he could tell a few stories.....

Near Salsa Kitchen?

Yes, it used to be next door to Salsa! Now kinda just behind there. Going down the soi opposite shell station, Nakornping is the large old condo on the right, CM Lodge is new condo on the left, where the road turns right through ninety degrees. Restaurant is right on that corner.

Are you talking about the restaurant in the Chiang Mai Lodge building on Ratchaphrunk Road? If so, I tried it once and found the food incredibly bad, and will not return.

Yes that's the place. Likewise I won't return either. I think the food has gone downhill since they moved. Nothing more than Thai food with a slight Chinese spin. Young Thai girls in the kitchen cooking. The only thing Taiwanese about the place is, I think, the woman owner lived in Taiwan for a while.

I dropped by tonight and had the beef and dumpling soup. Not bad, but far too salty.

It's very convenient to me, but I don't eat there often because my first experiences were from the Thai menu, and it's better and cheaper around the corner at a true Thai kitchen.

The service was very good, and the kitchen is clean. The chef appeared to be a mature male, not a young Thai woman.

The other customers were all Asian, and everybody seemed happy with what they had.

I've been going to "Taiwan Restaurant" ever since Greenside recommended it several years ago and have been to their new location 4 or 5 times since they moved early last winter. I haven't been there in a couple of months but unless things have changed, their dumplings, tripe and cold noodle dishes are authentic. If I want Thai food, I'd go to a thai restaurant.

Are you talking about the restaurant in the Chiang Mai Lodge building on Ratchaphrunk Road? If so, I tried it once and found the food incredibly bad, and will not return.

Yes that's the place. Likewise I won't return either. I think the food has gone downhill since they moved. Nothing more than Thai food with a slight Chinese spin. Young Thai girls in the kitchen cooking. The only thing Taiwanese about the place is, I think, the woman owner lived in Taiwan for a while.

Food tasted the same to me. There is nothing Thai about the noodles served there, so don't know where you got that from. The owner of the old location was Taiwanese and very nice, so the assertion that you think the woman owner lived in Taiwan is totally wrong.

The owner was a very friendly older Taiwanese man, which was hired by the Thai government a long long time ago to teach farming techniques to the hilltribes to help them cultivate legal crops instead of opium. He then settled here.

The way they make fried rice is also unlike soggy Thai fried rice, it's Chinese style.

I've been going to "Taiwan Restaurant" ever since Greenside recommended it several years ago and have been to their new location 4 or 5 times since they moved early last winter. I haven't been there in a couple of months but unless things have changed, their dumplings, tripe and cold noodle dishes are authentic. If I want Thai food, I'd go to a thai restaurant.

huh? they have tribe? ...one of my favorites :)

Food tasted the same to me. There is nothing Thai about the noodles served there, so don't know where you got that from. The owner of the old location was Taiwanese and very nice, so the assertion that you think the woman owner lived in Taiwan is totally wrong.

The Thai woman who runs the new place told us that she is the owner and that she lived in Taiwan at one time. She spoke in Thai to the Thais I was dining with so we did not get it wrong. It doesn't matter, the food is Thai with a Chinese spin, was not good and I won't be returning.

Edited by elektrified

the food is Thai with a Chinese spin

Err :annoyed: ? Please explain what is "Thai" about Chinese dumplings, hot and sour soup and their Chinese style fried rice? I've spent a lot of time in Taiwan and those dishes seem very authentic to me. Dumplings are standard fare there, with many small shops selling just those.

The noodles are Taiwanese style and even their omelets are nothing like the oil sodden crispy on the outside traditional Thai version. Agree with other posters about the fried rice too, much lighter Chinese style and not sodden with oil. The thick rice noodles with dry pork sauce and cucumber are great too, as is the "Rell Cake" sic (Chinese beef burrito style thingy with ho-sin barbecue style sauce), and the pork tongue. I've never seen a Thai restaurant selling any of these!

If you don't like that style of food, fine, up to you But, you are very wrong trying to trash the food as "Thai with a Chinese spin" just to justify your argument.

Whilst the place probably wouldn't win any gourmet awards, the food is easy and authentic at a fair price and the place clean and convenient for access and parking. It makes a good change a couple of times a month.

The Thai woman who runs the new place told us that she is the owner and that she lived in Taiwan at one time. She spoke in Thai to the Thais I was dining with so we did not get it wrong. It doesn't matter, the food is Thai with a Chinese spin, was not good and I won't be returning.

You are getting it wrong, the person who established the place is taiwanese. His wife is thai. So if you were married to the owner and someone asked you, would you not say you were also the owner?

Your assertion that the food is thai with a chinese spin to it, just illustrates the point that you do not have a clue what you are talking about, and almost like you have never been there.

There is a new thai menu section added in the back of the menu which is about a 2 to 10 ratio of the menu, the majority being taiwanese food, so maybe you ordered thai food in a taiwanese restaurant and are now trying to give the place a bad reputation.

The name of the place IS 'Taiwanese Restaurant' after all.

So let's get it straight: The food is Tai(-wanese), not Thai !

Thanks for the back n forth and mentioning of various things. I'm gonna go try it next time in the area. Love good dumplings.

There's another SOuth Chinese place that makes pretty much only dumplings and then sells herbs as well, kind of caddy corner from Gia Tong Heng, and then down a small soi. Doesn't seem like they get too much business, and it's been a few months since I've been, but thoroughly enjoyed the meaty dumplings. I got something like 10-12 of them for 60-80 Baht - memory's a little inexact, but portion was PLENTIFUL. Wish I could think of their name.....

Hi, where and what is 'Gia Tong Heng,'???

Gia Tong Heng is a Chinese resto run by an old lady from South China that came here with her husband like 40 years ago. It's a favorite of many CM expats who're looking for Chinese food that reminds them of Chinese food that we're used to in our countries. It's authentic btw, and you'll see a ton of Chinese-Thai families there on a Sunday. You go to the end of the Night Bazaar, make a left and go about 200m up on your left and it's right next to a suit shop and a tobacconist or mini-mart heavy on tobacco supplies.

If you wanna go to the dumpling place you stand outside Gia TH and look toward the Chedi hotel on your left and across the street where some of the Korean Karaoke bars are. There's a slim soi right up before the bars start. Head up that soi and it's about the 5th door on your left. Last time I was there their neighbor was a honey store with lots of bottles arranged in a display window (if that helps). The sign on the dumpling might even be called 'South China Dumpling' or something to that effect. Time to go pay 'em another visit !

The Taiwan restaurant at it's new location still one of my favorites, especially for a change from Thai food. Unfortunately the elderly owner and his Thai wife are both ill and the the restaurant is run adequately by the owners sister and family. The Jausa (dumplings) and hot and sour Taiwan soup are my favorites. The prices are reasonable and the staff are friendly, definitely worth a try. remember this Not Chinese food per se.

The Taiwan restaurant at it's new location still one of my favorites, especially for a change from Thai food. Unfortunately the elderly owner and his Thai wife are both ill and the the restaurant is run adequately by the owners sister and family. The Jausa (dumplings) and hot and sour Taiwan soup are my favorites. The prices are reasonable and the staff are friendly, definitely worth a try. remember this Not Chinese food per se.

That last is a very good point. People used to the "Chinese food" generally served in western restaurants can easily misunderstand. The difference between regional cuisines is vast.

Hi, where and what is 'Gia Tong Heng,'???

Gia Tong Heng is a Chinese resto run by an old lady from South China that came here with her husband like 40 years ago. It's a favorite of many CM expats who're looking for Chinese food that reminds them of Chinese food that we're used to in our countries. It's authentic btw, and you'll see a ton of Chinese-Thai families there on a Sunday. You go to the end of the Night Bazaar, make a left and go about 200m up on your left and it's right next to a suit shop and a tobacconist or mini-mart heavy on tobacco supplies.

If you wanna go to the dumpling place you stand outside Gia TH and look toward the Chedi hotel on your left and across the street where some of the Korean Karaoke bars are. There's a slim soi right up before the bars start. Head up that soi and it's about the 5th door on your left. Last time I was there their neighbor was a honey store with lots of bottles arranged in a display window (if that helps). The sign on the dumpling might even be called 'South China Dumpling' or something to that effect. Time to go pay 'em another visit !

Thanks for the detailed info sounds good, i'm going to check them out, been looking for good Chinese food for a long time in LOS, Funny how were in Asia but authentic Chinese food without Thai influence can be a hard one to find.