Several Heads On The Block As Yingluck Takes Charge

webfact

BURNING ISSUE

Several heads on the block as Yingluck takes charge

By Piyanart Srivalo

"We are here to fix, not take revenge" - this will probably be Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's best remembered quotes, though who knows what revenge will be taken once the public realises that she is her brother Thaksin's nominee.

For starters, the following officials will most probably be the first casualties thanks to their close links to the previous Democrat-led government:

Tarit Pengdith: As director-general of the Department of Special Investigations, Tarit helped gather evidence and file charges against Thaksin, his supporters and the red shirts. The DSI was in charge of gathering all evidence against the former PM so he could be brought back home to serve his jail term.

Tarit also went after the red shirts, filing charges of lese majeste and terrorism on several. He also ordered an investigation and was behind the freezing of 83 bank accounts belonging to individuals, including Thaksin, his ex-wife Pojaman and two of their three children, as well as some companies. This was done after Abhisit Vejjajiva's government suspected that these funds were being used to fund the red-shirt protests last year.

Tarit is also believed to have helped the Democrats pull out of a sticky Bt258-million donation case and the 91 deaths caused by the military crackdown last year.

Thawil Pliensri, secretary-general of the National Security Council; and Suwaphan Tanyuvardhana, chief of the National Intelligence Agency: Both officials were appointed by former deputy PM Suthep Thaugsuban and were considered to be his close aides. There have been reports that Suwaphan might be replaced by former DSI director Thawee Sodsong, who is close to Thaksin.

Amphon Kittiampon: Believed to be close to Newin Chidchob, Thaksin's foe, Amphon is the Cabinet's secretary-general and may become part of the reshuffle list. He could be replaced by secretary-general of Office of Education Council Tongthong Chandransu, who is keen on legal matters and has good connections in the Palace.

Wichean Potephosree: The national police chief has become a target and could be transferred to the post of permanent-secretary in the PM's Office. His replacement could be Pojaman's brother - deputy national police chief Priewphan Damapong.

The Revenue Department: This agency played a vital role in freezing, seizing and pursuing tax claims against Thaksin and his family in relation to the 2006 sale of Shin Corp shares to Temasek Holdings.

However, the department said on Monday it had decided not to pursue Thaksin's children, Panthongtae and Pinthongta, for Bt12 billion income tax due from the sale and that it would release their Bt200-million worth of frozen assets because they were not the true owners of Shin Corp. This might be a sign the officials are protecting themselves from a reshuffle.

Newin Chidchob's connections in the Transport Ministry: By appointing ACM Sukampol Suwannathat, Thaksin's classmate, as transport minister, the former PM obviously aims to wipe out all of Newin's networks and interests. In the previous government, Newin and his Bhum Jai Thai Party had total control of the ministry. In addition, King Power - a business group known to be associated with Newin - has been subjected to various negative speculations.

Military reshuffle: Some military officials fear that Thaksin via new Defence Minister Yutthasak Sasiprapa would move them in revenge for the 2006 coup that ousted him. However, Yutthasak is a master coordinator, who is flexible and can make compromises. In fact, he can also liase with Privy Council President General Prem Tinsulanonda, so the military can rest assured for now that they will not be casualties of the new government.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-11

I would like to say to all of the PTP supporters who cried for democracy and believed that Thaskin and his party were wrongly accused. Well now you see what is and has been the agenda of Khun Yingluck and her brother. Much more of the hidden agenda will surface.

This is democracy?

Democracy is being able to come on a forum and read a fictional editorial from someone about a political parties plans. Democracy is also about being able to show how ignorant you are by posting on a forum and claiming this is what the currently elected gov. plans are,

Meh - there are always changes at positions like this, even in larger western countries. In the US the say "We serve at the pleasure of the President". Well, here they serve as the pleasure of the PM, and she can dump them if she wants to. Its not like they will be "Fired" - no one gets fired in Thailand. They can transferred to an "inactive post", so they can collect pay and not work. When can I get transferred to an inactive post????

I would like to say to all of the PTP supporters who cried for democracy and believed that Thaskin and his party were wrongly accused. Well now you see what is and has been the agenda of Khun Yingluck and her brother. Much more of the hidden agenda will surface.

This is democracy?

And you think the Dems didnt do that???:blink:

What does revenge have to do with TRYING to eliminate corrupt and incompetent officials. I would hope that MANY heads are on the chopping block. Just how many heads are lopped off will be a good indication whether Yingluck has the fortitude and courage to do the job. I do hope her personal security people are capable of protecting her.

Didn't know Khun Piyanart of The Nation was instrumental in forming the new governments policy.

What does revenge have to do with TRYING to eliminate corrupt and incompetent officials? (The sentence deserves a question mark to terminate it BTW). What is more relevant is what is the point of playing musical politicians and civil servants? Replacing one set of corrupt incompetents with another does not add up to progress and is certainly not a sea change.

If the projections from crystal ball gazing contain an element of truth then clipping of the wings of King Power is a goodie, and the brother of a convicted felon being the Police head honcho is almost beyond belief, but then TIT.

What does revenge have to do with TRYING to eliminate corrupt and incompetent officials. I would hope that MANY heads are on the chopping block. Just how many heads are lopped off will be a good indication whether Yingluck has the fortitude and courage to do the job. I do hope her personal security people are capable of protecting her.

Looks like they are trying to install corrupt officials, not eliminate them...

What does revenge have to do with TRYING to eliminate corrupt and incompetent officials? (The sentence deserves a question mark to terminate it BTW). What is more relevant is what is the point of playing musical politicians and civil servants? Replacing one set of corrupt incompetents with another does not add up to progress and is certainly not a sea change.

If the projections from crystal ball gazing contain an element of truth then clipping of the wings of King Power is a goodie, and the brother of a convicted felon being the Police head honcho is almost beyond belief, but then TIT.

Thanks for correcting my grammar error. You are correct.

How do you know that another group of corrupt officials will replace this set? Is it possible that the new set will be better? I don't think they could be any worse.

Why is it that the other countries that have connections with Thaksin refused to consider extraditing him? Could it be that Interpol considers his conviction as purely political?

Nothing new. This happens with every government and has for ages. It is just highlighted as polticization is higher now than before. Every government wants its own people in high bureaucratic positions to make the flow of their policy easier. It is also that the policies of the outgoing and incoming government are very different. The Dem led government expunged the system of PTP sympathisers and allies and now it is being reversed

This is democracy?

If you look at the changes you are ridicule, they all seem to be a positive step. The corruption associated with Newin will be dealt with and everyone's source of scorn in TVF, King Power is going to get a wake up call.. The suggested new appointees all seem to be as qualified if not more so than the people they might replace. Why shouldn't the new government appoint personnel that can be counted up to do their jobs?

This is democracy?

If you look at the changes you are ridicule, they all seem to be a positive step. The corruption associated with Newin will be dealt with and everyone's source of scorn in TVF, King Power is going to get a wake up call.. The suggested new appointees all seem to be as qualified if not more so than the people they might replace. Why shouldn't the new government appoint personnel that can be counted up to do their jobs?

Laughing at the thought that you think Thaksin and King Power are at odds. Who was the one who gave them the huge concessions in the first place....wait, don't tell me....I'll get it eventually rolleyes.gif Thaksin and Newin, two sides of the same slimy, dirty corrupt coin. You can have them both! (oh wait, you did, for 6 years - Bravo for that!)

This is democracy?

I guess it depends on the job they are assigned to do.

Will the jobs of the new positions holders be:

a) Do your job efficiently and transparently without fear or favour.

B ) Do your job efficiently and transparently without fear or favour, but make sure we (government and supporters) don't look bad, so do what your told and remember you owe us for giving you the job in the first place!

Any guesses which one we will see? Which one will lead to reconciliation and which one will be seen as revenge?

Just replacing your corrupt guys with our corrupt guys. With all of the documented violations of Thai laws and changing the law to avoid taxes when he sold Shin, great deal to allow wife to buy several rai of land in downtown Bangkok. How does anyone keep a straight face when they try to justify this bunch of crooks.

This is democracy?

Of course it is!! DEMOCRACY Thaksin style none the less!!!!

:ermm: .

In other words, what is good for him and "SOD THE PEOPLE" as they are unimportant in the general scheme of things - simply greedy, complaining peasants that irritate him.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

This is democracy?

I'm simply lost for words at your ignorance!!! What about dealing with Thaksin's corruption first - there's a nice prison cell waiting for him for his part in committing massive corruption but for some reason he doesn't want to serve his sentence. Do you not accept that he partook in corruption, with his young sister (you know the prome minister of Thailand) being heavily involved and implicated (even committing perjury) in her trial. I suppose you agree that signing over millions of shares to his butler/chauffeur/maids was "AN HONEST MISTAKE" as he tried to make out in court - they believed this by the way, incredible!!!

Just how you bring corruption into the equation as a form of defence is simply breathtaking!!! I'm not only lost for words but cannot write anymore as I am absolutely flabbergasted by your posting and general take on the situation!!!:blink:

Edited by SICHONSTEVE

This is democracy?

I'm simply lost for words at your ignorance!!! What about dealing with Thaksin's corruption first - there's a nice prison cell waiting for him for his part in committing massive corruption but for some reason he doesn't want to serve his sentence. Do you not accept that he partook in corruption, with his young sister (you know the prome minister of Thailand) being heavily involved and implicated (even committing perjury) in her trial. I suppose you agree that signing over millions of shares to his butler/chauffeur/maids was "AN HONEST MISTAKE" as he tried to make out in court - they believed this by the way, incredible!!!

Just how you bring corruption into the equation as a form of defence is simply breathtaking!!! I'm not only lost for words but cannot write anymore as I am absolutely flabbergasted by your posting and general take on the situation!!!:blink:

I agree. Geriatrikid is totally in denial of the facts, always smothering over them and using some sidetrack. (but he was right about Newin and King power) but why the denial re Thaksin ??? Surely it's better to see the full picture and discuss that...surely Geriatrikid you can smell the wrong-maybe not !

This is fiction as the reporter is only trying to think what MAY happen. But my opinion is it will take place, it's bound to do...wouldn't you pick VIPs beside you that will do as you tell them.