What Is Tempura Flour?

ravip

Tempura flour is for use in coating vegies( As a batter) before frying them. Very popular in Japan.Made in Thailand ,I suspect by a Japanese company under the Go Gi brand.Thais do use it to coat (batter) meat and fish as well.Its composition is 90% wheat flour, 6% Tapioca starch ( tapioca starch comes Cassava or, in Thai: Mun Sumpalung). Baking powder 3%, Others1% ( salt .MSG -A trace)Pack of 150 gram is B15.Mix with water to make your batter.

Tempura flour is for use in coating vegies( As a batter) before frying them. Very popular in Japan.Made in Thailand ,I suspect by a Japanese company under the Go Gi brand.Thais do use it to coat (batter) meat and fish as well.Its composition is 90% wheat flour, 6% Tapioca starch ( tapioca starch comes Cassava or, in Thai: Mun Sumpalung). Baking powder 3%, Others1% ( salt .MSG -A trace)Pack of 150 gram is B15.Mix with water to make your batter.

Its major use amongst Japanese is for coating and deep frying prawns "ebi tempura".

Thank you very much for your most informative reply. Very much appreciated.

Thank you very much for your most informative reply. Very much appreciated.

agrre this was a good thread.

I found the following interesting information too from another forum...

And incidentally, I just came back from the supermarket a min ago and when I was there, I was reminded of your post so I checked out the tempura flours offered there. Sadly there were only two brands available (just the conventional ones, not the Thai version) and one of them even includes egg powder as the ingredient. Hmmm, interesting...

Unquote

re: tempura batter...when you make tempura it usually makes a big mess with drips all over the kitchen surfaces...make sure to wipe it up immediately; if not when it dries the removal requires dynamite or industrial strength chemicals, sorta like concrete...I have seen many scenes of devastation...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

I hear they keep the tempura batter very cold by keeping the pan of batter sitting on ice and use soda water for the liquid.

A man who knows his stuff. The more effervescent the liquid the lighter the batter, try Champaign.

I hear they keep the tempura batter very cold by keeping the pan of batter sitting on ice and use soda water for the liquid.

A man who knows his stuff. The more effervescent the liquid the lighter the batter, try Champaign.

In Switzerland, to make the delicious "cheese fritters" we add beer in the making of the batter to make it fluffier and lighter.

In Switzerland, to make the delicious "cheese fritters" we add beer in the making of the batter to make it fluffier and lighter.

In theory, you could use any sparkling liquid though sweet ones such as lemonade wouldn't go well with cheese. Would be interesting to try Fanta with banana or pineapple fritters! As pauljones has heard, keeping the batter cold is very important but so is using the batter very soon after making so the added liquid does not go flat. As you can imagine, making cold batter much less than keeping it cold is not easy in Thailand so I put everything in the fridge beforehand including the tempura flour and ceramic mixing bowl. Battered onions rings and various veggies make a great over a couple of beers with friends.

• 5 weeks later...