Thaksin Hardly A Reliable Mentor For Yingluck

webfact

EDITORIAL

Thaksin hardly a reliable mentor for Yingluck

By The Nation

The top conman is far too busy using his PR machine to boost his standing in international community

For a man who is supposed to care so much for his sister Yingluck Shinwatra, fugitive former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra has a strange way of showing it.

As Yingluck starts her job as Thailand's first lady prime minister, her older brother has already succeeded in putting her in an even more awkward position internationally than she is in already.

But then again, what do you expect from a convicted scam artist who tried his best to avoid paying taxes and instead spent a great deal of his wealth to hire expensive consultants and a public-relations firm to help project himself as an important figure internationally - when, in fact, he is not much more than a pest to the countries he has visited?

The latest country that Thaksin has brought into an unwanted light is Japan. According to Kyodo News, Japan's immigration control law does not allow the entry of a person who has been found guilty and sentenced to a jail term of more than one year.

Vice president of the Democratic Party of Japan, Hajime Ishii, confirmed to reporters that he had asked Prime Minister Naoto Kan to make a political judgement and allow Thaksin's entry into Japan.

Thaksin is said to be planning to give a public lecture as well as pay a visit to the Miyagi Prefecture, one of the areas that was hit by the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

If Kan and the Japanese government can't uphold their own laws, then it is their problem and prerogative. But they can't pretend not to know that a Thai conman is going to use this visit to Japan to enhance his tarnished image.

If Thaksin, who has a track record of blood and violence on his hands, could bring Thailand to its knees on several occasions, does the Japanese government think he really cares about the tsunami victims?

Let Thaksin enter your country at your own peril - but don't pretend that his visit to Japan is more than a public relations stunt aimed at cleaning up his image at the expense of the tsunami victims.

The same argument could be made for Germany as well.

Sadly, Germany appears to have become the latest country to have been suckered by Thaksin and his public-relations machine. The German daily Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported that Foreign Minister Guido Westerwelle lifted the ban on Thaksin's entry on July 15.

This followed the election victory of Thaksin's proxy - the Pheu Thai Party - which is led by his sister Yingluck.

Regardless, it is sad to see a strong and developed country like Germany go flip-flopping on its domestic policy because of an election result in another country.

Essentially, it is up to these respective governments to decide and weigh the pros and cons of their decision to grant Thaksin entry to their countries. But because Thaksin is such a divisive figure, granting him entry will not go down well with everybody in Thailand.

The street riots three years ago during Songkran is a good example of the extent of Thaksin's wrath - not to mention how, while in power, he wrecked the country's checks-and-balances system, institutions, initiated the controversial drug war that took the lives of some 2,500 people, as well as his all-or-nothing approach to the separatist insurgency in the South that pushed local residents even further from the state.

Ever since going into exile, Thaksin has been flying here and there looking for a place to land. If possible, the man would court local leaders for some snapshots and then quickly circulate them around the media and cyber space.

It is just a cheap way of boosting one's international standing. The best way to go about it is not to leave him be.

But instead of allowing Thaksin to monkey around, the administration of former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva invested a great deal of political capital to hunt this man down.

Needless to say, it unnecessarily drained Thailand's political capital abroad.

Yingluck was elected on a platform to lead the country. She should not use the premier's office to clear her brother's name even if he doesn't have any scruples about exploiting his sister's position for his own gains.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-12

Pretty awesome commentary. It's about time someone called it what it is. A convicted criminal trying to act like a statesman. Kind of odd he can travel all over, but can't come back to Thailand even though is sister is now PM. I'm sure he'll be back soon to pull the strings in person.

But instead of allowing Thaksin to monkey around, the administration of former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva invested a great deal of political capital to hunt this man down

An investment that obviously paid dividends.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/Thaksin-out-of-Dubai-his-whereabouts-unknown-FM-30125372.html

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/home/PM-may-ask-China-to-help-snare-Thaksin-30096751.html

Pretty awesome commentary. It's about time someone called it what it is. A convicted criminal trying to act like a statesman. Kind of odd he can travel all over, but can't come back to Thailand even though is sister is now PM. I'm sure he'll be back soon to pull the strings in person.

Maybe the foreign governments believe the charges against the former PM, who was overthrown by an illgal military coup, were politically motivated?

Perhaps the only ones conned are the Nation's editorial writers still pursuing their demon?

The people of Thailand expressed their sentiments in July and the sovereign foreign governments have noted that the tainted Democrats were booted from office.

Maybe the foreign governments believe the charges against the former PM, who was overthrown by an illgal military coup, were politically motivated?

Perhaps the only ones conned are the Nation's editorial writers still pursuing their demon?

The people of Thailand expressed their sentiments in July and the sovereign foreign governments have noted that the tainted Democrats were booted from office.

I'll just post one point. There are many more, but how does the wife of the PM buy a property for approx 750M baht and turn it the next week for 1.5B baht? You know as well as I do there are so many more episodes like this.

The saddest thing is that he pimped out his own sister to satisfy his own ego. She seems like a pretty decent person that was influenced by a near mad man because he's her older brother.

The Songkran-riots were in 2009, only 2 years ago, not 3 as stated in the article. Dear old Nation's editors ought to know this sort of thing ! <_<

Perhaps foreign-governments would wish to see the results of the several-cases against DL, before making-up their minds how political they are, except that the cases are stalled since he 'did a runner' when it became clear that the first case, about political-corruption while PM, was going to go against him ? Now that his younger-sister's in-charge, will he then come back, to face justice ? :whistling:

And an election-result does not negate these legal-cases, does it ? And why did DL's lawyers feel the need to give 'lunch-boxes', unless the law here is less-susceptible to outside-influence, than some believe ? B)

Edited by Ricardo

I'll just post one point. There are many more, but how does the wife of the PM buy a property for approx 750M baht and turn it the next week for 1.5B baht? You know as well as I do there are so many more episodes like this.

The saddest thing is that he pimped out his own sister to satisfy his own ego. She seems like a pretty decent person that was influenced by a near mad man because he's her older brother.

The problem with this, just like many other governmental actions in Thailand, is that everyone looked at the bidding and decided that it was ok. The issue was that she was the PM's wife, nothing else. Funnily enough, Yingluk is "married" but not officially. I wonder if her husband can bid on such deals? In which case, it would appear that it is definitely not in any politician's interest to be married.

Look around any town in the country, and wonder who buys up all the land around roads before they are about to be built. It is old style corruption and it goes on everywhere in the country. This doesn't make Thaksin's wife's role correct, but it is hardly the first time that someone connected in the country has profited from purchasing land from or connected to government. As for pimping his sister to get what he wants, I think you misunderstand familial loyalty in Asia. What would she or the Shinawatra name have become without his wheeling and dealing to build AIS?

Edited by Thai at Heart

You're quote is interesting, and sounds like it's not well thought through, on both parts.

Let's look at the first part. Can you explain the difference between a legal military coup and an illegal military coup? As for the second part, as far as I know, the only people who can issue a pardon would be the people higher than the courts, and I last I heard, he was stripped of his titles, not given a pardon. Does the population have the power to negate court decisions? If so, will the noodle ladies in Issan start to pardon all white collar criminals?

My last point, is the tainted democrats you speak of. Does replacing one tainted party, with an even more tainted party really make you feel good?

Yes, the people of Thailand did express their sentiments in July... unluckily, this country does not have proportional representation and although only 30% of the Thai voters, voted for PTP, the way the wards are set up, gave them the majority of seats. Good luck to them, and lets hope they can accomplish something good for Thailand.. lets hope she starts by giving the poor workers their 300 bahts per day wages..Quickly.. And all those kids their free i-pads, I need to get up to Nong Kai and buy some cheap tablets..! Strange however, that where the majority of voters in large wards, namely in Bangkok, and where the average IQ, is 15 points higher than the countryside, and remember hold many many Issan peoples who have Not been subject to bribes , threats and non-stop propoganda.. Yes , here in the Capital City, The Dems swept to a very clear victory of 23 wards to 10... and took 72% of the popular votes. Thank God there are some sensible people in this country Not fooled by the Master Con-Man... Theres no fool like an old fool...!

You are beginning to sound like a broken record and not a very bright one at that most of the time. Do you really think a Foreign Gov't should be choosing to accept or NOT accept what charges are legit or not in another country? Do you think the German gov't would be impressed if they had a convicted criminal running around in exile and other countries were allowing him to stay there in a rather obvious show of lack of respect for another countries laws?

Again you just make yourself look like a spoiled brat with these outbursts. "Tainted" Dems? No more or less I would imagine than the people currently in power, but why oh why can YOU only see one side of any given coin? You do yourself no favor's by coming across as such a Red boot licker. How exciting for Thailand so now the tainted Dems supported by the Hi-so Elite in BKK have been booted out, so the Tainted PTP party run by the Hi-So Chiang Mai family and other up country Elites can have their turn at the trough.

Amazing their are so many people like you that continue to think that somehow this election is going to do something good in a long term way for the people that actually need it the poor people of Thailand. Do note I said poor people as Thailand as a gov't is rather well off, (look up the stats) but that money does not trickle down in any worthwhile way to the ones that it the most, keep them in cheap credit under educated and PTP and it's leaders are happy as clams... but so very sad to see so many "educated" farangs falling for the same propaganda from either side.

It seems that Yingluck has little choice but to have Thaksin as a mentor (and much more). It was made clear in the election that was what she is all about and that's what got her in. People who dream she is magically going to become clearly independent and govern in a way that doesn't always mirror what Big Brother wants are much more optimistic than reason warrants.

What a lot of BS !

I imagine Thaksin answer's to the Nation :

"Dear Sirs,

I am sitting in the smallest room of my house. Your critique is in front of me. Shortly it will be behind me."

Edited by JurgenG

If you wanted to kick out all the corrupt businessmen and politicians in SE Asia all the countries would come to a screeching halt because it's pretty much the entire roost.

You are beginning to sound like a broken record and not a very bright one at that most of the time. Do you really think a Foreign Gov't should be choosing to accept or NOT accept what charges are legit or not in another country? Do you think the German gov't would be impressed if they had a convicted criminal running around in exile and other countries were allowing him to stay there in a rather obvious show of lack of respect for another countries laws?

Again you just make yourself look like a spoiled brat with these outbursts. "Tainted" Dems? No more or less I would imagine than the people currently in power, but why oh why can YOU only see one side of any given coin? You do yourself no favor's by coming across as such a Red boot licker. How exciting for Thailand so now the tainted Dems supported by the Hi-so Elite in BKK have been booted out, so the Tainted PTP party run by the Hi-So Chiang Mai family and other up country Elites can have their turn at the trough.

Amazing their are so many people like you that continue to think that somehow this election is going to do something good in a long term way for the people that actually need it the poor people of Thailand. Do note I said poor people as Thailand as a gov't is rather well off, (look up the stats) but that money does not trickle down in any worthwhile way to the ones that it the most, keep them in cheap credit under educated and PTP and it's leaders are happy as clams... but so very sad to see so many "educated" farangs falling for the same propaganda from either side.

"Tainted" Dems? No more or less I would imagine than the people currently in power, but why oh why can YOU only see one side of any given coin?

Ha ha. I think you should speak for yourself. just as the person you are referring too is pro PTP, you are obviously a hardcore Democrat fan. Both sides are not perfect obviously. There are just as many incompetent morons with PTP than with the Dems...... and also good people.

Do you think the German gov't would be impressed if they had a convicted criminal running around in exile and other countries were allowing him to stay there in a rather obvious show of lack of respect for another countries laws?

Very bad comparison. I'm not saying that TS was all good and never did anything illegal....but his sentence happened in a time where the coup leaders were in power. Don;t you think that any big democratic nation such as germany will look at this very, very long and be very sceptical about this. And its the right thing to do. The reason that it happened after the coup might have even helped TS. The comparison is very bad because of this and for the reason that this situation won't happen in Germany at this point of time. It would be impossible, just as it would be impossible in the UK, Netherlands, etc.. The courts in those countries work very differently and more importantly independently from the government, sth. you cannot say about the Thai courts. They are supposed to, but they are not. So a comparison like that is really not valid.

The problem with this, just like many other governmental actions in Thailand, is that everyone looked at the bidding and decided that it was ok. The issue was that she was the PM's wife, nothing else. Funnily enough, Yingluk is "married" but not officially. I wonder if her husband can bid on such deals? In which case, it would appear that it is definitely not in any politician's interest to be married.

Look around any town in the country, and wonder who buys up all the land around roads before they are about to be built. It is old style corruption and it goes on everywhere in the country. This doesn't make Thaksin's wife's role correct, but it is hardly the first time that someone connected in the country has profited from purchasing land from or connected to government. As for pimping his sister to get what he wants, I think you misunderstand familial loyalty in Asia. What would she or the Shinawatra name have become without his wheeling and dealing to build AIS?

The problem with that deal was that Takki was the minister, and the land was sold to his wife who, under thai law, is the same legal entity. Any deal done under such circumstances would be suspect at least, (how hard would it be for the Minister to look at the bids?) so it is expressly prohibited. "Everybody does it!" is not an excuse before the law, or even my mother the last time I tried it.

"What would she or the Shinawatra name have become without his wheeling and dealing to build AIS?" Respected, perhaps.

Yes, the people of Thailand did express their sentiments in July... unluckily, this country does not have proportional representation and although only 30% of the Thai voters, voted for PTP, the way the wards are set up, gave them the majority of seats. Good luck to them, and lets hope they can accomplish something good for Thailand.. lets hope she starts by giving the poor workers their 300 bahts per day wages..Quickly.. And all those kids their free i-pads, I need to get up to Nong Kai and buy some cheap tablets..! Strange however, that where the majority of voters in large wards, namely in Bangkok, and where the average IQ, is 15 points higher than the countryside, and remember hold many many Issan peoples who have Not been subject to bribes , threats and non-stop propoganda.. Yes , here in the Capital City, The Dems swept to a very clear victory of 23 wards to 10... and took 72% of the popular votes. Thank God there are some sensible people in this country Not fooled by the Master Con-Man... Theres no fool like an old fool...!

Funnily enough in most democracies (and most kinds of democracies) the dummies get to vote too. Would you propose that an intelligence test must be passed before you can vote? It seems to me that for right or wrong this whole situation came about largely (or is at least exacerbated by) a division between the inteligentsia in "the Capital City" (your caps) and the rural poor who because they are stupid of course, felt disenfranchised.

It's a hard hitting article and may be entirely correct. But he sure as hell also managed to garner an incredible amount of support, even "in absentia". All Thais living outside BKK aren't fools.

I'm not saying that TS was all good and never did anything illegal....but his sentence happened in a time where the coup leaders were in power

On a point of fact, I think you'll find that is was PM-Somchai (Thaksin's brother-in-law & leader of the PPP-led coalition-government) who was in power, when the court finally passed sentence in 2008. B)

Edited by Ricardo

i'm not sure of the numbers any more but thaksin and his wifes tax returns prior to the military coup [which i do not support] were an outright lie. he is not the first prime minister to be convicted of being unusually rich, and it was obviously a just charge. i believe that saying that he was corrupt but good for the country is condescending in the extreme. behavior that would not be tolerated in the west should not be accepted here.

With libel laws being what they are in Thailand, i.e. you need not prove allegations against you are false, isn't that article close to, if not, libelous?

He can come back to Thailand anytime and go to court.

The plaintiff need not appear in court for such a proceeding.

I am quite capable of appreciating both sides of an issue. However, if one side is motivated by visceral hate and angst over the inability to continue a system that exploits the disadvantaged and the weak, then that motivation is taken into consideration. Red boot licker? Mr. Thaksin is quite distinct from the UDD. They actually have two very different goals, despite the public perception. The Redshirt movement has goals of a far more egalitarian and extensive nature than Mr. Thaksin. I do not share the same views on fiscal or health policy.

One of the biggest mistakes people like you make is the assumption that the hi so Bangkok elites have been booted. I suggest you look at who some of the backers of PTP in Bangkok were. Those backers included some of Bangkok's elite. They did so because they felt the PTP was best able to advance the nation and to ensure peace was maintained. Peace is good for business. Peace is also good for people that love their nation. Many wealthy Thais do care about the country and were disturbed by the past Democrat/Military Junta administrations. You will find the split is along generational lines. You should also appreciate that despite Mr. Abhisits wonderful pedigree, he never had a job outside of politics. For those people that built or run businesses, he was treated accordingly. Does the phrase errrand boy ring a bell? I also suggest you peruse some of the international news sources and look for the people alleged to have met or to have sent emissaries to meet with Mr. Thaksin. Here's a hint: Sometimes they used private jets and were not seen on public carriers heading to HKG, FRA or ZRH

Politics in Thailand is never black or white.It is shades of gray.

I am quite capable of appreciating both sides of an issue. However, if one side is motivated by visceral hate and angst over the inability to continue a system that exploits the disadvantaged and the weak, then that motivation is taken into consideration. Red boot licker? Mr. Thaksin is quite distinct from the UDD. They actually have two very different goals, despite the public perception. The Redshirt movement has goals of a far more egalitarian and extensive nature than Mr. Thaksin. I do not share the same views on fiscal or health policy.

One of the biggest mistakes people like you make is the assumption that the hi so Bangkok elites have been booted. I suggest you look at who some of the backers of PTP in Bangkok were. Those backers included some of Bangkok's elite. They did so because they felt the PTP was best able to advance the nation and to ensure peace was maintained. Peace is good for business. Peace is also good for people that love their nation. Many wealthy Thais do care about the country and were disturbed by the past Democrat/Military Junta administrations. You will find the split is along generational lines. You should also appreciate that despite Mr. Abhisits wonderful pedigree, he never had a job outside of politics. For those people that built or run businesses, he was treated accordingly. Does the phrase errrand boy ring a bell? I also suggest you peruse some of the international news sources and look for the people alleged to have met or to have sent emissaries to meet with Mr. Thaksin. Here's a hint: Sometimes they used private jets and were not seen on public carriers heading to HKG, FRA or ZRH

Politics in Thailand is never black or white.It is shades of gray.

You say 'The egalitarian principles of the udd / red shirts'.

What? When has even one of their leaders ever given any detailed presentation about the principles of socialism / egalitarianism / what such a society would look like, ow it would build, how it would be maintained, how is it different from now, what's it's detailed principles are, etc etc? Not once.

When has even one of their leaders every distributed insightful literature about any of the same? Never!

You said a government which exploits the disadvantages and the weak. I guess your referring to the paymaster.

Edited by scorecard

When has even one of their leaders ever given any detailed presentation about the principles of socialism / egalitarianism / what such a society would look like, ow it would build, how it would be maintained, how is it different from now, what's it's detailed principles are, etc etc? Not once.

When has even one of their leaders every distributed insightful literature about any of the same? Never!

It's not a Maoist movement

It's not Hare Krishna either, they don't go door to door to distribute literature from their "leader" cheesy.gif

The 70's are over. wake up mate ! biggrin.gif

When has even one of their leaders ever given any detailed presentation about the principles of socialism / egalitarianism / what such a society would look like, ow it would build, how it would be maintained, how is it different from now, what's it's detailed principles are, etc etc? Not once.

It's not a Maoist movement

It's not Hare Krishna either, they don't go door to door to distribute literature from their "leader" cheesy.gif

The 70's are over. wake up mate ! biggrin.gif

Door to door, not really what I was getting at.

They had many many rallies where their leaders spent hours and hours on stage one after the other spewing nothing more than hatred for abhisit and others , over and over again.

If they had a genuine and specific cause, a desire for something different, structured goals, then this would have been the time to espouse and explain those goals, and give the masses (many bused in on 500 to 1,000 a day plus free bus trip and free food) some literature to take home. They had dozens of opportunities to do just this. Not one word!

Thaksin Shinawatra has not legally changed his name in Thailand, therefore he should not be referred to by his new name in passport(s) from other countries.

"Problems can happen when we ask foreign countries to extradite him. We name him in our request as Thaksin Shinawatra but when those countries check his presence, they would not find him because he used different name," Panich said.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/2009/11/25/politics/politics_30117339.php

Any further usage of his other name is therefore not valid on this forum.