Ais 3G=Major Failed

supashot

3G by AIS satisfied or not?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We all waited the release of 3G in Thailand, The telco companies blamed the politicians first to slow down the process. Then AIS and others telco opened 3G network. 3G is available for more than 6 years in Europe, even Cambodia and Laos have 3G for years now.

Major failure, why? A simple test when driving in sukhumvit from 102 to soi 11: the network is inconstant. It switchs from 3G to EDGE all the time and even loose GSM signal. Being for more than 7 years in Bangkok I assume that Sukhumvit is a priority axis of the 3G coverage. The phone I used is a Nexus HTC and Blackberry and both have the same issues. I test from a taxi and BTS. In fixed position you might have a fast speed test but in real life usage the network sucks: unstable and often slower than EDGE in many areas.

The 3G base stations are deployed for long time, so please don't use the pretext that the network need some adjustments.

Just another failure.

Feel free to vote would love to hear your feedback.

Not the news we want to hear?

In December 2010, the organization that sets global standards for mobile communications, the ITU (International Telecommunication Union), decided that 3G technologies substantially better in performance and capability than earlier 3G technologies could be classified as 4G.

So, if you want good 3G I guess you hope for sh**** 4G HaHaHa. So where does that leave 3G in Thailand? Somewhere around good 2G? Here in North A. most 4G is running around a poor distant cousin of poor 3G. Most communication companies here program their "free 3G" phones and low cost 4G's to do data uplinks constantly to use up all that free band width they include in costly 3 year plans. That way you end up buying bandwidth each month. Guess free isn't and 4G sure isn't 4G so where does that leave 3G in Thailand?

Assuming the OP has 900 Mhz 3G equipment, has an AIS SIM, has configured the equipment properly (APN) and has a 3G data plan then one would expect coverage in those areas which AIS has advertised. There is no 3G coverage at Sukhumvit Soi 102, where that may be. Coverage appears to start in the Phra Kanong area in bound on Sukhumvit.

Regarding keeping a 3G connection when moving, and changing serving base-stations, I think you will experience a perceptible loss of data.

Assuming the OP's problem is not self-inflicted, their expectations may have been set too high regarding coverage? Nearly every report, here and on many Thai forums, indicate a high level of satisfaction, and quite high speeds based on the speedtests.

The Google Nexus One supports 900 Mhz 3G, as does the Nexus S, not sure about the Blackberry without more details. Some of the T-Mo and AT&T models here do not support 900 Mhz 3G.

Hi, I switched from EDGE unlimited plan to 3G unlimited plan (with edge and wifi too) yesterday evening, all seems good, except I can't get any 3G signal, it still show the E of the edge logo.

I have a nexus s, I'm in jomtien pattaya which is shown to be covered by 3G on the coverage map on the ais site.

I have never used 3G before anywhere. What do you mean by "configured the equipement properly APN" ?

When I go to settings > wireless & networks > Mobiles Networks > Access Point Names

I have two choices, AIS Internet or AIS MMS, Ais Internet is selected which I think is ok, if I click on it shows several settings, it is already setup, what do you think needs to be modified in those settings, I haven't found anything special to do on the ais site on the page about configuring nexus s, it seems effortless.

Note that I haven't been to pattaya city yet to see if it's just a problem of coverage or if it comes from my phone's settings or anything else.. I have a feeling that when I'll go to pattaya city, it still won't show 3G on my phone, I don't know why, but I trust the map about 3G coverage and suspect something not going well with my phone settings, that's why I ask. Thanks.

Assuming the OP has 900 Mhz 3G equipment, has an AIS SIM, has configured the equipment properly (APN) and has a 3G data plan then one would expect coverage in those areas which AIS has advertised. There is no 3G coverage at Sukhumvit Soi 102, where that may be. Coverage appears to start in the Phra Kanong area in bound on Sukhumvit.

That confirmed what I was saying: major failed if then can't even cover the major areas of bangkok especially when they pretend to be #1 operator.

That confirmed what I was saying: major failed if then can't even cover the major areas of bangkok especially when they pretend to be #1 operator.

I'm totally agree, AIS 3G: major failed if its stay the way it is now. No 3G at all in MBK? No 3G around Phrom Phong BTS (even its covered in the map), no 3G beyond Phra Khanong...

People are waking up........

Lets face the facts, a network roll out and optimization does not happen over night, not over a few weeks, and even many months.

AIS is on a marketing blitz, trying to convince customers they have 3G.

first issue will be coverage (so you see u have a signal ), and then the next head ache they will have is Capacity.

Anyone who knows 3G knows the coverage will shrink when usage on that cell increases............ meaning, if your the only sub (first adopter), its great...... but as more subs come on line..... it makes a real mess of it.

It will take them months to sort out the capacity and optimisation. True has passed that first hurdle, and through-put is increasing as they add more network in bkk ( and upcountry ) ( first one to the game ).

DTAC will be behind AIS.

It may be a bit early to judge AIS's 3G initial launch a failure? Don't forget they did launch in many locales, not just Bangkok.

I'm not sure how accurate the various provider's coverage maps are, but it does look like DTAC has broader coverage across metro-Bangkok.

AIS announced 1,340 base-stations in metro-Bangkok; I'm thinking that not all of these have been turned up yet? (No coverage past Phra Khanong, Bang Na Trad is surprising.)

DTAC announced 400 base-stations in metro-Bangkok, with coverage out past the outer ring road in Bang Phli (I'll test DTAC coverage more over the next few days.)

True operates 534 (Q111) base-stations in metro-Bangkok, although they may be actively increasing that coverage if recent service messages are understood. (from their Q211 bulletin: "During the quarter, TrueMove’s 3G trial network was also expanded to meet rising demand for mobile Internet services." This may refer to capacity rather than coverage?)

Truemove has ~ 200,000 3G subscribers (Q211), the bulk of which are on iPhone unlimited 3G plans, and now only just being transitioned to fair-use limited plans. There have been some self-reports here of users logging 20+ GB per month tethering their phones for fixed broadband replacement applications!

The silver lining? At least we have something more to whinge about. ;)

My Truemove results are not nearly as good...same phone, same location. (Note: I am not sure I am using the best modem - JV5- in my custom ROM, but I used get at least 1 Mbps upstream with True up until few months ago, not that upload speed is important for my usage.)

post-9615-0-31603600-1313641973_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-73086800-1313642082_thumb.jp

All operators are installing, some at different stages .... All operators wlll have issues until they reach steady state ( ie >1500 cells in BKK ).

Think of a network as a piano - if you want to add a new piano wire which will have a new frequency, you w need to retune the whole thing to make it work in harmony.

As such it won't be consistent until last string is installed and final tuning is done

Am an AIS user, just travelled from Saphan Kwai to Mochit on BTS, 3G showing on my phone, however, got off and walked towards TMB/Central Ladphrao, after 45 metres of being away from the station no signal.

Also remember folks if you have a Nokia to change your connectivity settings - Settings - Connectivity - Network - Network Mode - then change to dual.

Edited by beano2274

My Truemove results are not nearly as good...same phone, same location. (Note: I am not sure I am using the best modem - JV5- in my custom ROM, but I used get at least 1 Mbps upstream with True up until few months ago, not that upload speed is important for my usage.)

I noticed a big change now, so obviously something has changed, so i guess since the 2 networks are symbiotic, the other one might lift up ??

The 2nd test was quite good. What network ?

I bought the hype from AIS and switched because with True I was having bad problems with voice call dropouts.

Less than 2 weeks later I have switched back. AIS was awful, even downtown in Ploenchit I could watch my phone go from 3G to edge to GSM1800 to nothing in the space of minutes. In the car I couldnt keep a constant enough connection to use internet radio. At home I was getting less than 10kpbs at times, not much point paying for that.

I noticed a big change now, so obviously something has changed, so i guess since the 2 networks are symbiotic, the other one might lift up ??

The 2nd test was quite good. What network ?

Sorry, thought the file names would show as titles. The screenshot on the left is True, the one on the right is DTAC.

I work around Asoke and have a stable "3G" connection> The speeds are not that fast but certainly faster than the old Edge.

I travel often by BTS from Asoke to Sanam Pao and there is virtually no signal whatsoever between Nana and Victory Monument. It has been like this for a long time and I have complained to them. Whenever I make a voice call I am disconnected between Ploenchit and Chidlom. The only reply I got from the guy at AIS was "I have the same problems".

They really need to improve their network.

I work around Asoke and have a stable "3G" connection> The speeds are not that fast but certainly faster than the old Edge.

I travel often by BTS from Asoke to Sanam Pao and there is virtually no signal whatsoever between Nana and Victory Monument. It has been like this for a long time and I have complained to them. Whenever I make a voice call I am disconnected between Ploenchit and Chidlom. The only reply I got from the guy at AIS was "I have the same problems".

They really need to improve their network.

I think there are some special challenges about using GSM on the BTS. I'm no electrical engineer, but perhaps it has something to do with the carriages somehow shielding the signal, or maybe the high voltage rails underneath. I have noticed that there are indeed dead spots on BTS in places, but when I drive the same route underneath the BTS tracks, I do not get the dead spots. That said, I have AIS and I have never seen a total loss of signal all the way from Nana to Victory Monument.

As for AIS 3G: when it first switched on, it seemed ok from a speed perspective. Maybe it's because more and more people are on it now, but my speed on an iPhone 4 is dismal now, even with a strong 3G connection. Sometimes I get no bandwidth at all and cannot even load a page or retrieve email. Also, I get a lot of switching between 3G and Edge, which is really annoying when you are trying to listen to internet radio in your car, and the switch cuts your connection. I really didn't want to complain, as I thought it was nice that AIS gave me 3G at no additional charge from what I was paying for EDGE, but I'm not finding it much of a benefit really. And it's definitely not worth switching to or paying extra for.

I think there are some special challenges about using GSM on the BTS. I'm no electrical engineer, but perhaps it has something to do with the carriages somehow shielding the signal, or maybe the high voltage rails underneath. I have noticed that there are indeed dead spots on BTS in places, but when I drive the same route underneath the BTS tracks, I do not get the dead spots. That said, I have AIS and I have never seen a total loss of signal all the way from Nana to Victory Monument.

I have never suffered a loss of voice service on AIS/One-2-Call on the BTS over ~ 6 years. I rider the BTS on average 15 trips per week (7 days).

I have been using True 3G since 1 Jan. 2011, and have not suffered a loss of voice or 3G data when traveling on the BTS.

I have been using DTAC 3G this week, so limited experience on the BTS. I did notice a momentary drop to Edge from 3G around Phra Khanong today.

I think any BTS 3G issues may be related to hand-offs?

No 3G on the MRT, but 2G and voice is fine.

Edited by lomatopo