Burma Girl

I would like to apply for an Australian fiance visa for my Burmese girlfriend. we've been in a relationship for nearly 2 years, I don't think we will have any problems with Aust. immigration, it's the Myanmar government that worrys me. Does anyone have any info about if Burmese nationals can marry foriegners. Is there a way around it?,

Edited by crowsnest75

g'day crowsnet,

been there done that. it's a very tricky situation, and the best my fiance and i discovered was to go to australia and do it here.

basically, you can't do it legally in burma. if you're in thailand you can go to an office in silom. they will say they're a legit thai business, but i know they are all burmese and well connected, so there is also a danger aspect for your fiance - they will ask for lots of information about her family back in burma and check on her status in thailand. on top of the month long waiting time (at best), and having to send your fiance's family all the way to the goat-fuc_ked naypyidaw capital, they will ask you for about 50,000 baht for the certificate. that will just give you the piece of paper that you can use to allow her stay with you in thailand (providing you've got a work visa/ permit to stay). you can also provide that as evidence of your marriage for the oz visa, but there's really no point because the embassy are more interested in finding evidence of your ongoing commitment to each other (not just a tatty piece of over-sized government issued recycled paper from burma).

i would advise getting the visa for australia asap, and forget marrying elsewhere. that way you know where your money is going, she can meet your friends and family, and of course you both get married legally. in thailand you need a letter stating your freedom to marry from both embassies. oz embassy is not a problem, of course. but the when your fiance tells the burmese embassy your name and nationality, they won't give her the letter - hence the scam set-up in silom.

you've also got the question of taxes. as soon as you leave the country your fiance will have to pay a monthly tax to the burmese embassy in whichever country she's in. in thailand it's about 500 baht per month, and until you've paid it all they won't let her renew the passport. and bear in mind the passport is only valid for 3 years. but when you're married in australia, they waive some of the tax, and let her renew provided you show them your marriage certificate and give them a $850 deposit which they will keep until she hands back her burmese passport (after getting citizenship).

now does that sound pretty fuc_ked up or what? blink.gif

anyway - i hope that helps, but pm me if you need any more information.

m.

Edited by myauq

Good luck to you. I married a Burmese lady but different situation..we met in Guam...a US territory.and she requested Political Assylum when she arrived in Guam. She eventually got the assylum, moved to the USA..and then we married in the USA. I assume she is in Thailand now? Why not have her goto the Australian Embassy and request to get married? Do they really need Burma's approval? Or..is Political Assylum possible (Longer route..I think and more complicated).

My wife got political assylum granted on the Island of Guam. We met while she was enroute to the USA..and eventually got together in the USA. Different situation.

Does she need a passport from Burma to travel to Australia..is this the struggle you are having? I would assume that she's in Thailand illegally? IF she got political assylum up on the Thai/burma border...moves into a camp..she could then marry legally in Thailand (I think). Just ideas.

I can confirm that money will make anything happen in Yangon. Been there, done that. Just takes money. Find a burmese contact that has those contacts in Thailand..and make sure you know him, his family etc...and then make the deal. Make it clear that you know him..where he lives etc..and he better not rip you off. You then have some leverage. He's probably in Thailand illegally and if he doesn't come through for you..you do have some leverage/ability to get the Burmese guy into legal troubles. I think this is then safe to make a deal for a passport from Burma.

Best of luck!

Good luck to you. I married a Burmese lady but different situation..we met in Guam...a US territory.and she requested Political Assylum when she arrived in Guam. She eventually got the assylum, moved to the USA..and then we married in the USA. I assume she is in Thailand now? Why not have her goto the Australian Embassy and request to get married? Do they really need Burma's approval? Or..is Political Assylum possible (Longer route..I think and more complicated).

My wife got political assylum granted on the Island of Guam. We met while she was enroute to the USA..and eventually got together in the USA. Different situation.

Does she need a passport from Burma to travel to Australia..is this the struggle you are having? I would assume that she's in Thailand illegally? IF she got political assylum up on the Thai/burma border...moves into a camp..she could then marry legally in Thailand (I think). Just ideas.

I can confirm that money will make anything happen in Yangon. Been there, done that. Just takes money. Find a burmese contact that has those contacts in Thailand..and make sure you know him, his family etc...and then make the deal. Make it clear that you know him..where he lives etc..and he better not rip you off. You then have some leverage. He's probably in Thailand illegally and if he doesn't come through for you..you do have some leverage/ability to get the Burmese guy into legal troubles. I think this is then safe to make a deal for a passport from Burma.

Best of luck!

she has a passport and an education visa to stay in Thailand

Um, not sure if this helps, but if she has a Education visa for Thailand, why don't you combine some of the advice and apply for an Education visa for Australia. English as a second language is enough for her to get to Australia. This is possibly the easiest way for her to get to Australia. (If you need assistance there is lots available.)

Then when you are there, get married there and apply for the marriage visa in Australia. (This is possibly the quickest way of doing this as fiance visas cannot be issued from inside Australia, she would have to leave Australia to apply for it, in comes the Burma problem.)

With the Education visa I feel that the threat to Burma will be mitigated and the entry to Australia will be eased.