Free Tablet Computers Could Well Be A Masterstroke; Thai Opinion

webfact

The use of online study also gives the teacher more time to actually teach; marking, and evaluations are automatic, a great time saver and also instant results. A very useful tool and enhancement to assist the teacher.

listen to yourself.... this is Thailand, we are talking a 3,000b android tablet, max 4hour battery life, no plug sockets, no wifi, no thai or subject software. and given to prathom 1 (who are generally in classes of 40+)

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

473geo:

ok we will...agree to disagree.. but as for letting myself down.

IF YOU HONESTLY THINK that your last statement is accurate i think you will be sadly mistaken.

And i do think that it should be used to enhance the teaching environment . I never mentioned paint, air conditioning etc.

I spoke of providing e-learning facilities in the classroom such as projector and computer with a FAST internet connection and the relevant educational software for each subject.

SO THAT the 6 year olds in the class can be taught as a whole rather than trying to look at a 7" screen with no decent keyboard to input info... As i have said from the start its a flawed idea. And i find it strange that an educated adult can not see the flaws. You do seem to at least.

The use of online study also gives the teacher more time to actually teach; marking, and evaluations are automatic, a great time saver and also instant results. A very useful tool and enhancement to assist the teacher.

listen to yourself.... this is Thailand, we are talking a 3,000b android tablet, max 4hour battery life, no plug sockets, no wifi, no thai or subject software. and given to prathom 1 (who are generally in classes of 40+)

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

Wow.....really. You think this idea is a vision.. have YOU ever seen a normal Thai school... get real. It will take A LOT more than cheap throw away tablets to achieve anything... tablets .. this years buzzword.. remember when it was net books

(netbooks would be soo much better, i would even agree with that idea if it was at a higher level say Prathom 6 up. But prathom 1 and tablets.... stupid idea)

Edited by thaicbr

Only in this country is it possible for the Administration to sidestep the burning issue and cloak it with smoke and mirrors.

Would any one government official dare to speak out and admit that the quality of education here is medieval, ineffectual, heavily biased and with teachers so poorly trained and ill-informed that they wouldn't be able to work in any other country in the world, only here?

No - utterly impossible.

So instead of addressing the problem - basic literacy and numeracy, plus general knowledge about the rest of the world outside - the little kids are given expensive gimmicks instead.

How much in-service training for existing staff, revised training courses for new staff, funds for visiting teachers, and pens, paper and books would all those billions of baht buy?

Who's going to maintain and fix all these thousands of new tablets? What happens when you drop a tablet or get it soaked in the rain? Or when a kid steps on his bag (tablet inside) or slings it in the back of the bus?

I had to interview the head guy in our local tesseban a while back. He made a speech in which he said that he was doing everything to maintain "ecological tourism". Needing the information, I asked to to explain what sort of things were being done. He looked blank for a moment then again declared firmly, "Ecological tourism! Ecological tourism!" and changed the subject. The fool had absolutely no idea at all what this involved but he had discovered that if he made the right sorts of noises then lots of people would nod.

Looks like there's a whole lot of people nodding right now at the words "schools" and "tablets".

Sigh.

R

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

Here's what's available in a US$100 (3,000 baht) tablet: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/maylong-universe-m-150/4505-3126_7-34474248.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

With vision, we can say that an *appropriate* tablet with *appropriate* software, in classrooms with *appropriate* infrastructure, and given at the *appropriate* age, are a very good thing.

At the moment, Thailand appears to lack these things. Well, they don't lack appropriate tablets, but not at the 3,000 baht price point.

473geo:

IF YOU HONESTLY THINK that your last statement is accurate i think you will be sadly mistaken.

And i do think that it should be used to enhance the teaching environment . I never mentioned paint, air conditioning etc.

I spoke of providing e-learning facilities in the classroom such as projector and computer with a FAST internet connection and the relevant educational software for each subject.

SO THAT the 6 year olds in the class can be taught as a whole rather than trying to look at a 7" screen with no decent keyboard to input info... As i have said from the start its a flawed idea. And i find it strange that an educated adult can not see the flaws. You do seem to at least.

You are wasting your breath. As with just about anything in TV if you don't fall all over the Red Shirts, or PTP or any one in the PM's family you are branded a Dem/yellow shirt lover and nothing you say from that point on is considered worthy of addressing.

You can simply put away all the talk about good idea bad idea will be easier or not to enhance learning etc..etc.. the bottom line to all of this is that there is no possible way on this planet that a 3,000 thb tablet is going to have a 3 to 4 year life span. That alone makes this whole project pointless. If they are budgeting that these devices will last and therefore do not need to be replaced for a minimum of three years they will be over budget and have to scrap the idea likely in the second year. I have a young pre-schooler that I have given two 3,000 thb tablets to in the last six months.. little kids break things, are clumsy and tablets are not made for the pounding that little fingers do without realizing their own strength.. add in toting them back and forth to school having older siblings take them over, or muck up the software, parents that pawn them off for their own gain etc..etc.. it is amazing to me that anybody that actually lives here thinks this could possibly work, REGARDLESS of what benefit it may or may not have for the kids. That goes for whether the Dems or PTP put the plan forth it's a non starter period..

I am all for technology

It will not come cheap

A very nice contract for any family in the hi tech market.

Tablet etc is a far less teacher centred tool able to use at home on the bus etc.

I imagine many will be lost broken sold damaged,despite that in the same way the taxpayers who funded the library of my youth should benefit from a better educated youth t look after us when we are all too old

So you agree with the idea or disagree........ by the way it would be good if schools actually HAD library's :D

..... had library's what?

Discussions about education make me :rolleyes: sometimes!

R

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

Wow.....really. You think this idea is a vision.. have YOU ever seen a normal Thai school... get real. It will take A LOT more than cheap throw away tablets to achieve anything... tablets .. this years buzzword.. remember when it was net books

(netbooks would be soo much better, i would even agree with that idea if it was at a higher level say Prathom 6 up. But prathom 1 and tablets.... stupid idea)

You appear to be of the opinion that monies poured into education always arrive in the areas where financial input is paramount.......

This is a short cut through the maze of educational expenditure to deliver an enhancement right into the class room and to the pupil.....

I say let us see how this direct approach works

473geo:

You are wasting your breath. As with just about anything in TV if you don't fall all over the Red Shirts, or PTP or any one in the PM's family you are branded a Dem/yellow shirt lover and nothing you say from that point on is considered worthy of addressing.

You can simply put away all the talk about good idea bad idea will be easier or not to enhance learning etc..etc.. the bottom line to all of this is that there is no possible way on this planet that a 3,000 thb tablet is going to have a 3 to 4 year life span. That alone makes this whole project pointless. If they are budgeting that these devices will last and therefore do not need to be replaced for a minimum of three years they will be over budget and have to scrap the idea likely in the second year. I have a young pre-schooler that I have given two 3,000 thb tablets to in the last six months.. little kids break things, are clumsy and tablets are not made for the pounding that little fingers do without realizing their own strength.. add in toting them back and forth to school having older siblings take them over, or muck up the software, parents that pawn them off for their own gain etc..etc.. it is amazing to me that anybody that actually lives here thinks this could possibly work, REGARDLESS of what benefit it may or may not have for the kids. That goes for whether the Dems or PTP put the plan forth it's a non starter period..

You are wasting your breath (or words) half your negative comment is based on the children taking them home........and you can't work out the solution.....

Leave them in the classroom......might also encourage children to attend more readily.

You appear to be of the opinion that monies poured into education always arrive in the areas where financial input is paramount.......

This is a short cut through the maze of educational expenditure to deliver an enhancement right into the class room and to the pupil.....

I say let us see how this direct approach works

As a teacher teaching here in Thailand i do think that the idea to bring the class rooms up to a decent level is a good one. I'm lucky where i teach now it has those things i mentioned (except the educational software provided. I had to get my own)

But previously i have taught at schools lacking the basic things required of a school. The monies you spoke about went elsewhere not to the school.

If you think this idea is good for Thailand and Thai kids (not forgetting we are talking about cheap tablets and 6 year olds) then good for you.

I see it as a nightmare waiting to happen, an impedance to discipline and learning and a waste of much needed funds that could be spent elsewhere. To go from chalk boards to tablets with no in between is just ridiculous.

It's good to see some other posters have more common sense than you do.

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

Here's what's available in a US$100 (3,000 baht) tablet: http://reviews.cnet....;contentBody;1r

With vision, we can say that an *appropriate* tablet with *appropriate* software, in classrooms with *appropriate* infrastructure, and given at the *appropriate* age, are a very good thing.

At the moment, Thailand appears to lack these things. Well, they don't lack appropriate tablets, but not at the 3,000 baht price point.

Vision .......It can be done and will be beneficial if.......and it would be good to work towards this and offer suggestions

Stagnation........ it can't be done...... because.....

473geo:

You are wasting your breath (or words) half your negative comment is based on the children taking them home........and you can't work out the solution.....

Leave them in the classroom......might also encourage children to attend more readily.

Ahhhh leave them in the classroom.... to be stolen by an enterprising thief at the 1st opportunity. 1st class idea get a gold star.

get realistic B)

"E-readers and their content have made a sluggish start in Thailand" - shouldn't that be "Reading books has made a sluggish start in Thailand"

I too wonder who will be making lots of money selling tablets to the government.

I also wonder what the Pu Yais who own the book publishing/printing contracts for textbooks will be thinking about this - have they been wearing the wrong colour shirts?

get realistic B)

"E-readers and their content have made a sluggish start in Thailand" - shouldn't that be "Reading books has made a sluggish start in Thailand"

I too wonder who will be making lots of money selling tablets to the government.

I also wonder what the Pu Yais who own the book publishing/printing contracts for textbooks will be thinking about this - have they been wearing the wrong colour shirts?

This will NOT stop schools using text books or work books. there will still be the problem of up to date books. but up to date books shouldn't be a problem IF the MOE was actually doing its job properly.

get realistic B)

Get vision.....

Here's what's available in a US$100 (3,000 baht) tablet: http://reviews.cnet....;contentBody;1r

Vision .......It can be done and will be beneficial if.......and it would be good to work towards this and offer suggestions

Stagnation........ it can't be done...... because.....

Why call it stagnation when I'm suggesting that done correctly, tablets in Thai schools would be a very good thing. By saying that the news reports referencing the government's statements appear to lack that vision, I am implying that they need to properly research and fund this initiative; but that tossing 6-year-olds inferior tablets to score relatively cheap points with the voters lacks vision. Should their program fail (and I am certain it will, since they certainly appear to lack the vision to implement it properly), that will foster the idea that "new" equals "waste" and will lead to further stagnation.

Ahhhh leave them in the classroom.... to be stolen by an enterprising thief at the 1st opportunity. 1st class idea get a gold star.

I guess you own nothing in Thailand due to your belief it is bound to disappear when the first enterprising thief happens along?

Or perhaps you make a little effort to secure any valuables.......do you somehow think this is beyond the abilities of the Thai?

get realistic B)

Good point. I've been living here full time for 13 years and never ever once have I seen a Thai reading a book. Comics, yes, everywhere I go. But not a book.

I was at my local restaurant, grazing and reading a novel on my e-reader when the owner came over to see what I was doing. She was puzzled because there were pictures or graphics (or tweety-squeak noises) and asked me what it was. I explained I was reading a story. She said - 'No games?' I said no and she wandered off shaking her head.

Sort of says it all, really.

R

I guess you own nothing in Thailand due to your belief it is bound to disappear when the first enterprising thief happens along?

Or perhaps you make a little effort to secure any valuables.......do you somehow think this is beyond the abilities of the Thai?

Not at all. I own many things.

But i know Thai schools generally do not have night security (maybe a caretaker, but about 3 years ago they decided to out source this function in many schools) and that classrooms tend to be wooden doors with poor quality locks (if they have locks at all) and many schools are away from homes. And yes they could put them in a locked cage in the classroom but an enterprising thief with time on there hands will get them..

I live in the real world. Now concentrate on YOUR visionary ideas on how this will work rather than slagging me off.

A reminder. 3,000b tablets for 6 year olds to use.

Edited by thaicbr

get realistic B)

A

Read more: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/maylong-universe-m-150/4505-3126_7-34474248.html#ixzz1UxHOpuif

Get vision.....

Here's what's available in a US$100 (3,000 baht) tablet: http://reviews.cnet.com/tablets/maylong-universe-m-150/4505-3126_7-34474248.html?tag=contentMain;contentBody;1r

And the review of the tablet states:

The good: The Maylong M-150 is one of the least expensive 7-inch Android tablets we've seen.

The bad: The screen is warped and scratch-prone; battery life is poor; the Android interface has been modified for the worse; no easy method for connecting to a computer; slow boot time; confusing navigation; no support for Android Market or official Google Mobile apps.

The bottom line: The Maylong M-150 tablet is a regrettable purchase at any price.

Yeah! lets all go get ten million dollar's worth!

:blink:

R

Edited by robsamui

But i know Thai schools generally do not have night security (maybe a caretaker, but about 3 years ago they decided to out source this function in many schools) and that classrooms tend to be wooden doors with poor quality locks (if they have locks at all) and many schools are away from homes. And yes they could put them in a locked cage in the classroom but an enterprising thief with time on there hands will get them..

I live in the real world. Now concentrate on YOUR visionary ideas on how this will work rather than slagging me off.

Not slagging you off cbr, just your reasoning that schools should not purchase any products that might be likely to get stolen.......not really much hope for advancement is there then.

A

Read more: http://reviews.cnet....l#ixzz1UxHOpuif

Get vision.....

And the review of the tablet states:

The good: The Maylong M-150 is one of the least expensive 7-inch Android tablets we've seen.

The bad: The screen is warped and scratch-prone; battery life is poor; the Android interface has been modified for the worse; no easy method for connecting to a computer; slow boot time; confusing navigation; no support for Android Market or official Google Mobile apps.

The bottom line: The Maylong M-150 tablet is a regrettable purchase at any price.

Yeah! lets all go get ten million dollar's worth!

:blink:

R

Robsamui

To be fair there are BETTER tablets at this price.. Kogan in Australia sell a decent looking tablet for a similar price. BUT as an educational tool the fact there is no keyboard makes ANY tablet a bit of miss rather than a hit. A 10" netbook that would be a different matter BUT NOT for Prathom 1

I feel for my 10 year old daughter who lugs countless book to school and think this would be better

But I do wonder about thieft. Who steals text books ? no one, who would steal a tablet, most anyone.

And yes power issues, Most schools are not set up for it and even some family homes I know have no power

Not slagging you off cbr, just your reasoning that schools should not purchase any products that might be likely to get stolen.......not really much hope for advancement is there then.

No. what i'm saying is that most school equipment is exactly that suited to a school so no quick resale value.. 400+ tablet computers on the other hand is an easy sale....... maybe abroad as well as here in Thailand.

I am just trying to be realistic about this tablet program.. it has not a lot to do with Thai kids education and more about winning the election (and it worked)

Netbooks would be a good idea for those students studying subjects that need access to the www. but NOT prathom 1 (6 year olds). This is were my main objection to the scheme comes from.

I feel for my 10 year old daughter who lugs countless book to school and think this would be better

But I do wonder about thieft. Who steals text books ? no one, who would steal a tablet, most anyone.

And yes power issues, Most schools are not set up for it and even some family homes I know have no power

Jeff. Why doesn't your daughter leave her books at school/

Also her text books are some the sort were she actually writes in the book answering the questions etc?

Can you ask her please?

Edited by thaicbr

No. what i'm saying is that most school equipment is exactly that suited to a school so no quick resale value.. 400+ tablet computers on the other hand is an easy sale....... maybe abroad as well as here in Thailand.

I am just trying to be realistic about this tablet program.. it has not a lot to do with Thai kids education and more about winning the election (and it worked)

Netbooks would be a good idea for those students studying subjects that need access to the www. but NOT prathom 1 (6 year olds). This is were my main objection to the scheme comes from.

I understand your concerns, but seeing the speed my son absorbed the skills to use a laptop young children can benefit, the trick here is to attempt to influence the government and education ministry to supply the more robust acceptable product, accept the idea that technology can enhance education, encourage discussion and allow them to think they have come up with an improved idea and are delivering a real vote catcher and something special

To consistently criticise and rubbish their intention will produce nothing of value,

I understand your concerns, but seeing the speed my son absorbed the skills to use a laptop young children can benefit, the trick here is to attempt to influence the government and education ministry to supply the more robust acceptable product, accept the idea that technology can enhance education, encourage discussion and allow them to think they have come up with an improved idea and are delivering a real vote catcher and something special

To consistently criticise and rubbish their intention will produce nothing of value,

473geo. that would indeed be a good trick if it could be pulled off.

BUT lets get back to the fact that these are NOT laptops AND SO are actually very confusing to use especially the thai touch keyboard.

I take it you were one on one with your son and that he probably goes to a fairly high level kindergarten.

This is not the norm for the target audience.

And if enough people criticise the project then YES it may change into one that is worth the money.

If you have freetime go down to your local IT place (don't know where you live) and check out the cheaper tablets (circa 5,000b up) but NOT the Samsung Tab as thats nothing like the same as what they plan.. then come back and tell me it's a good idea to put them in the hands of 6 year old's.

I'm all for innovation in schools. As long as the thing will work... This idea will not work and will waste much needed resources that could be spent elsewhere that could/will work to enhance the learning abilities of students in Thailand.

That's my belief as one who works in the Thai education system. And it's the belief of many others who work here both Thai and foreigner.

Show me the data? I have my children using a laptop, there is educational benefit, learning is fun, they enjoy using the computer

Step forward parents whose children currently use a computer who think the disadvantages outweigh the advantages and learning enhancement

Agreed. Though I would add some caveats:

Time limits on computer usage.

Parents need to know what their kids are up to on their computers.

Computers need to be placed and used in open areas of the living room.

Parents need to be at least somewhat computer literate.

The teacher above has demonstrated how technology can be creatively and entertainingly used to achieve superior results. Kudos to him/her because he/she recognizes that it is a tool. Sadly, many teachers use technology as a substitute for good teaching.

It is less important to have computers for every child in class than to have teachers who give the kids something creative to do with the computers they have at home.

Technology is not a panacea. The teacher has to be at the centre of any successful education reform. Technology is merely an enabler and a costly one at that. Still, if properly utilized, can be very useful.

Take for instance khanacademy.org - visit the site and watch the TED talk given by the founder on how teachers can use that resource. My kids each spend a little time at the site regularly and I can track their progress with detailed charts and graphs. Because 'to teach is to learn twice' I sometimes ask them to teach me what they've learnt.

When I drive my kids to and from school each day, I have a stack of quiz questions in the car. They take turns picking a question and answering it, getting points (redeemable for cash) for correct answers. More detailed answers elicit more points. They eagerly do research on their computers as they vie to give the best answers.

What kids really need are good mentors and role models. Technology can help, as you have shown with the success you've had with your kids.

Thakkar.. A very good website.. but all in English so not a huge help for the majority of Thai students.(i take it yours are in EP or International school) I do understand that Thailand does have or could have a similar website set up.

As for your parenting well done. It's what is expected but unfortunately sadly lacking here in Thailand. That is the concept of the parents helping their children learn. Here for many parents that is the sole job of the school or the Tutorial after school (that's why there are SO many tutorials)

Also here in Thailand the teacher is at the bottom of a big pile. it goes like this.

bottom up

teacher

senior teacher

dept head

principle

numerous province MOE officials

numerous MOE officials in BKK

head of MOE

MOE MINISTER (who thinks he's in charge :D )

So the little teacher does not have much say in what goes on.

Edited by thaicbr