Compare The Honda Phantom 200Cc With Lifan V250

vacationman

Trying to get some input from anyone and everyone who have

owned a Honda Phantom 200 cc and the new Lifan V250 cc.

I've had my Honda Phantom for about 3 years and put almost

70,000 km on it riding all over Thailand.

Just wish it had more POWER when in the mountains

going up the long hills like Doi Inthanon.

Done a good bit of research on the Lifan V250

but haven't really found anything negative about it

yet.

Would be interested in Comparisons with:

Power going up hills.

Top Speed

Places to get it worked on.

Dependablity

Your experiences greatly appreciated.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where I can not really say anything about the Lifan. One would think with a V twin it should have more power, however not sure that is true.

The honda is always easy to fix, if and when it ever need something no matter where you go in Thailand.

And Honda will be out soon with a new Phantom with FI even romors of a slightly larger motor. (CBR250)

Power going up hills.

Top Speed

Places to get it worked on.

Dependablity

Riden one, and so has my wife as she was interested in it :bah: . She's had 2 Phantoms but hasn't put on anywhere near as many miles as you.

Your first two question are yes's, but only by a little.

Your second questions are likely unknowns; will a Lifan give you 70,000 km as trouble free and as affordable as your Phantom? Build quality ain't Honda standards by a long shot, but better then the JRD and Platinum offerings.

If you put 70,000 on a Lifan 250 trouble free please report back to us! :jap:

Please people keep things real, the Lifan LF250-B is a exactly the same engine as the Yamaha V-star 250.

Lifan and Yamaha working together for some years, after Lifan bought some pattens that forced Yamaha to deal with them on equal base....

Comparing the plastic finishing with the how the Lifan LF250B is build is just a insult, the Lifan motorcycle is really build with quality components if compared to the Honda Phantom TA200.

Please people keep things real, the Lifan LF250-B is a exactly the same engine as the Yamaha V-star 250.

Lifan and Yamaha working together for some years, after Lifan bought some pattens that forced Yamaha to deal with them on equal base....

Comparing the plastic finishing with the how the Lifan LF250B is build is just a insult, the Lifan motorcycle is really build with quality components if compared to the Honda Phantom TA200.

yes i had a phantom for 1 year, did not do the same 70,000 k as you did but i sold the phantom in march this year for 80,000thb and bought a 1 month old1 lifan 250 with 15,000thb of accessories for 80,000thb. to me the lifan is better, more power, better acceleration even with 2 riders, in my experience it runs circles around the phantom. but the person who commented on what it will be like in 70,000k or resale value i would not know. i live off of tunhotel road so the dealer and service is 3 minutes from me. they are real nice people, and anytime i had to go there for minor things they take care of me right away, quickly,.

and as a note of interest the lifan is the same engine they use with the ISSAN tuk tuk's.......... there is a sticker on the lifan that says manufactured in thailand but i think the parts are made in china. also go to the website lifan.com

good luck

Because I've been out of the country for a while and had other vehicles that are new for me, I cannot state much except this:

My Lifan, carrying over 100kg is lively (for 250cc and 18hp) up to 110 and then tops out at 120 gps on the flat after a bit. Top gear (5th) is like an overdrive. The speedometer is accurate!

It has a spongy predictable ride (with a low seat), and stops well, but with a dip in the front. It uses gasahol, but 95 is required. Does have that twin feel. I've been getting 33kms/l, but that's fairly easy riding in middle rpm's.

So far, I like it a lot. I've had new bikes with a lot of reason for concerns; mine was not one.

Edited by CMX

Accepting what you say, the real issues are parts and service. If you need a part, will it be readily available and where do you get it fixed? I called the Lifan dealer in Bangkok and they spoke not a word of English and were not helpful in any way -- this did not instill any confidence in their after-sale ownership support, worse than a "black hole". I have never seen a Lifan 250 on the road in Thailand. Does Lifan have any interest in the Thai market, or is Thailand just (primarily) used to manufacture bikes for export? There is no dealer in the Pattaya area, at least not that I am aware of. If I have a Phantom and I have a problem anywhere in Thailand, I know I can get it fixed quickly (and cheaply). What about a Lifan? The Lifan looks good and I expect is reasonably well made, but service is a complete unknown. Honda will come out with a new 250cc FI Phantom sometime next year (hopefully a V-twin design, but no way of telling). I had read that Yamaha was going to bring the V-Star to Thailand, but that does not look like i is going to happen. So, the real issue is to get a Lifan 250 now or to wait for the new Phantom (at what cost, not sure, probably a lot more than the Lifan 250). At this moment, I am waiting.....

Are you a Lifan retailer?

I've seen Phantoms that have done 130,000 kms of traveling in just a few years with minimal problems, and if the Lifan can do so also - that's great. If you can obtain wear items and common spare parts within the same day in most towns in Thailand, once again great.

Plastic never makes the bike.

I've seen Phantoms that have done 130,000 kms of traveling in just a few years with minimal problems, and if the Lifan can do so also - that's great. If you can obtain wear items and common spare parts within the same day in most towns in Thailand, once again great.

I'm pretty sure that Honda sold a lot of TA200 Phantom bikes over the years, but not forget that the Lifan LF250-B is available in more than 80 countries around the world, and in most of countries the LF250-B model is already available for about 3-years.

Searching on the Internet for user experiences you can find a lot of happy users. Sure some are less happy but that is with everything you can buy... even with Honda products not all customers are always 100% happy.

With the amount of Lifan LF250-B motorcycle sold you can be sure that Lifan has a serious spare part distribution plan in place. Actually Lifan Thailand is the heart of the spare part distribution for the LF250-B so spare parts should not be a serious problem. Also most engine parts of the Yamaha Virago 250 will fit also on the Lifan LF250-B. Currently Lifan has worldwide two factories producing the LF250-B (and a few related models).

The Honda TA200 Phantom is only manufactured and distributed in Thailand, and while Honda sold a great amount of units the production of spare parts depends on one factory... the same factory which already has problems keeping up the production of the CBR250R and a few other models.

I'm pretty sure that Honda sold a lot of TA200 Phantom bikes over the years, but not forget that the Lifan LF250-B is available in more than 80 countries around the world, and in most of countries the LF250-B model is already available for about 3-years.

Searching on the Internet for user experiences you can find a lot of happy users. Sure some are less happy but that is with everything you can buy... even with Honda products not all customers are always 100% happy.

With the amount of Lifan LF250-B motorcycle sold you can be sure that Lifan has a serious spare part distribution plan in place. Actually Lifan Thailand is the heart of the spare part distribution for the LF250-B so spare parts should not be a serious problem. Also most engine parts of the Yamaha Virago 250 will fit also on the Lifan LF250-B. Currently Lifan has worldwide two factories producing the LF250-B (and a few related models).

The Honda TA200 Phantom is only manufactured and distributed in Thailand, and while Honda sold a great amount of units the production of spare parts depends on one factory... the same factory which already has problems keeping up the production of the CBR250R and a few other models.

The Honda Phantom was also sold in Singapore and Australia and i believe Indonesia so wrong on that one. Richard we know you represent Lifan and no doubt the bikes are good for the money (CMX likes his)

Your post gives me less confidence in the Lifan 250, not more. You speak in vague generalities, with no evidence (or specific reference) for Thailand. No doubt that "Lifan has a serious spare parts distribution plan in place", but does it include Thailand? If I was buying a Lifan in the US, I would be far more comfortable, since to develop and grow that market (which I believe that they and their US distributors want to do) they would have established dealers with repair facilities and parts inventories on site. What about Thailand? There is no promotion, no advertising, few dealers and no evidence that Lifan wants to develop Thailand as a sales market. I have never seen a single Lifan 250 on the road in Thailand. Are they maintaining a spare parts inventory/supply network for the few bikes on the road that may need them? Can I get a fuel pump the same day I request it, and from where? Until someone can provide clear answers to these kinds of questions, I just don't see Lifan going anywhere in Thailand (sorry to say).

Your post gives me less confidence in the Lifan 250, not more. You speak in vague generalities, with no evidence (or specific reference) for Thailand. No doubt that "Lifan has a serious spare parts distribution plan in place", but does it include Thailand? If I was buying a Lifan in the US, I would be far more comfortable, since to develop and grow that market (which I believe that they and their US distributors want to do) they would have established dealers with repair facilities and parts inventories on site. What about Thailand? There is no promotion, no advertising, few dealers and no evidence that Lifan wants to develop Thailand as a sales market. I have never seen a single Lifan 250 on the road in Thailand. Are they maintaining a spare parts inventory/supply network for the few bikes on the road that may need them? Can I get a fuel pump the same day I request it, and from where? Until someone can provide clear answers to these kinds of questions, I just don't see Lifan going anywhere in Thailand (sorry to say).

You absolutely right, it's impossible to get a fuel-pump for the Lifan LF250-B, but than a fuel-pump for the Honda TA200 Phantom is also impossible to get... the main reason is that both motorcycles don't use a fuel-pump

You absolutely right, it's impossible to get a fuel-pump for the Lifan LF250-B, but than a fuel-pump for the Honda TA200 Phantom is also impossible to get... the main reason is that both motorcycles don't use a fuel-pump

Richard not answering a question... nothing unusual in that B)

As alternative for the Lifan LF250-B you also have the Keeway Cruiser 250, distributed by Sym Thailand. It's a bit more expensive compared with the Lifan LF250-B, but some people say the quality is also better... the Keeway Cruiser 250 comes with 3-years warranty and costs 92,000 THB.

cruiser.jpg

They also come in different colors

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard not answering a question... nothing unusual in that B)

Nothing for me to answer, all I have to say some questions should be asked in the showroom when somebody buys a motorcycle regardless which brand somebody buys.

Edited by Richard-BKK

Richard ^^^^^^^^

Very true. BUT it would be nice if you answered a direct question in your capacity as a Lifan spin doctorcool.gif

But i see that SYM may be paying more this monthbiggrin.gif

Edited by thaicbr

Yawn. Friend of mine talked to the Lifan factory in Rayong (Thailand) about spare parts and they assured her that getting spare parts would not be a problem. Yeah, you can say they were lying.

Lifans are simple bikes based on an old standard design and fairly easy to repair by experienced mechanics. It comes with good documentation and the factory is of course available for consultation. Yeah, you don't have an example where somebody changed a spark plug on a Lifan. Fuel pump.

Anyway I don't see a big problem. My friend then bought a Lifan from a dealer in Naklua, has been riding it, and is quite happy. It's a nice bike. If my Phantom died, I'd get one for myself.

Edited by JSixpack

this is the chiang mai forum, correct, any info i have given is because i bought and own a lifan in chiang mai, i live 3 minutes from the dealer and service department, i did not post on thaivisa to ask questions about buying my lifan, i went to the dealer and the website asking my questions there. my new phantom 2 weeks old had to have the engine replaced. you want to get real quit asking stupid questions on a forum and go to the dealer and factory and ask them.

Yawn. Friend of mine talked to the Lifan factory in Rayong (Thailand) about spare parts and they assured her that getting spare parts would not be a problem. Yeah, you can say they were lying.

Lifans are simple bikes based on an old standard design and fairly easy to repair by experienced mechanics. It comes with good documentation and the factory is of course available for consultation. Yeah, you don't have an example where somebody changed a spark plug on a Lifan. Fuel pump.

Anyway I don't see a big problem. My friend then bought a Lifan from a dealer in Naklua, has been riding it, and is quite happy. It's a nice bike. If my Phantom died, I'd get one for myself.

this is the chiang mai forum, correct, any info i have given is because i bought and own a lifan in chiang mai, i live 3 minutes from the dealer and service department, i did not post on thaivisa to ask questions about buying my lifan, i went to the dealer and the website asking my questions there. my new phantom 2 weeks old had to have the engine replaced. you want to get real quit asking stupid questions on a forum and go to the dealer and factory and ask them.

Hey Jarhead,

Yes this started out in the Chiang Mai Forum and was moved to the Bike Forum.

Sooo after your your engine DIED... did they replace it with NO PROBLEMS and NO money out of your pocket?

I found based on my 40 years of owning and riding motorcycles that you can't always TRUST what the dealer tells you...

Every Bike is always the BEST Bike in the World and is expected to run without problems until the world ends....

Soooo I prefer to get comments from REAL OWNERS who are actually using the product.

THEN... if it sounds like something I might want to invest in... I go talk with a Dealer.

Now that I know at least ONE customer has had to have the engine replaced here in Chiang Mai,

when I ask the question to the dealer... has anyone ever had to have their Engine replaced here

in Chiang Mai YET... and they give me some BS answer... that would give me a good hint.. that I might

not want to deal with these people becasue they might not can be trusted.

Thanks for all the comments.

No, it is not the CM forum, it is the "Bikes in Thailand" sub-forum with a much broader readership than just CM. The OP was trying to get information from owners/riders because they are more relaible then sales people, who just want to make a sale and could care less about you and your bike after it leaves the shop. I expect that no Platinum seller ever told a prospective customer that the bike is a piece of crap, but it is. Lying? Maybe not, but it is certainly bending the "truth" about as far it you can without breaking it. I discount what sales people tell me to zero, unless I can verify it from an independent, relaible source. I injected an easy way for my point to be avoided by using a fuel pump as an example, apologies for that.. Replace "fuel pump" with "carburetor", and the same point/question applies (I think that both the Phantom and the Lifan have carburetors, I know that the Phantom does). And you may live 3 minutes from the dealer, which is a real plus, but unless you only ride your bike in your driveway like my 3 year old, you may find that your bike breaks down or needs service a good distance from your home or that dealer. I think that your head is indeed stuck in a jar, and you probably would not see/understand an issue that would concern most prospective bike buyers (or where and how to get reliable information about it, which is not from the dealer) if it fell on you. Like I said, at this point, I am waiting.....

Edited by Thailaw

impressive, we should nominate you for expert of the month, oh and also i am personally putting you in for a pay raise, i bow to you ooo professional expert of the great bike rider of asia, they have a bar you can hang out it is called the 'RIDERS BAR" on the corner of the moat where you can impress all the other bikers with your knowledge.

No, it is not the CM forum, it is the "Bikes in Thailand" sub-forum with a much broader readership than just CM. The OP was trying to get information from owners/riders because they are more relaible then sales people, who just want to make a sale and could care less about you and your bike after it leaves the shop. I expect that no Platinum seller ever told a prospective customer that the bike is a piece of crap, but it is. Lying? Maybe not, but it is certainly bending the "truth" about as far it you can without breaking it. I discount what sales people tell me to zero, unless I can verify it from an independent, relaible source. I injected an easy way for my point to be avoided by using a fuel pump as an example, apologies for that.. Replace "fuel pump" with "carburetor", and the same point/question applies (I think that both the Phantom and the Lifan have carburetors, I know that the Phantom does). And you may live 3 minutes from the dealer, which is a real plus, but unless you only ride your bike in your driveway like my 3 year old, you may find that your bike breaks down or needs service a good distance from your home or that dealer. I think that your head is indeed stuck in a jar, and you probably would not see/understand an issue that would concern most prospective bike buyers (or where and how to get reliable information about it, which is not from the dealer) if it fell on you. Like I said, at this point, I am waiting.....

The carburetors for the Lifan LF250-B are nothing special, they're made in Thailand by a well known carburetor manufacturer Mikuni. I'm sure that any motorcycle shop in Thailand can work on a Mikuni carburetor – I even dare to say that if a mechanic doesn't know how a Mikuni carburetor works you better take your motorcycle (no matter what brand) to another shop...

The standard carburetor of the Honda TA200 Phantom is a Keihin, and is much more difficult to work on – for example the idle jet is concealed behind a metal prop and cannot be removed without drilling into the carburetor...

I forget a part of my answer – the carburetors used for the Lifan LF250-B are very common in Thailand, as they are basically 125cc models, and how many 125cc motorcycles in Thailand use Mikuni or compatible carburetors. Again I'm sure you have more trouble to find parts for a Keihin carburetor for a 200cc motorcycle.

And the feedback about Lifan here and from all over the world is positive. I reported the positive feedback from my friend who drives her Lifan daily to work and back, total 40km.

The Lifan factory is more of a manufacturing facility than a dealership. They distribute some Lifans to Thai dealers. My friend didn't talk to a sales person but a factory manager.

But, yes, if you're working at a factory making Lifans and exporting, you'd have plenty of parts on hand and wouldn't expect a shortage anytime soon.

As Richard-BKK explained, even if you replace "fuel pump" with "carburetor," you don't have a compelling point.

And Honda dealers don't have just every Phantom spare part in stock anyway. I should know, I own a Phantom. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get a part. Now Phantoms, from mighty Honda, have even been discontinued . . . .

Any experienced bike mechanic is able to do basic work on the Lifan; as I told you, it's a simple bike based on traditional tech.

A breakdown on a Ninja or new Honda CBR 250R would likely be a greater problem. As with Lifan, you'd have to call your dealer or find a dealer who can actually work on them.

Anyway, you can't expect instant good service and immediate, totally reliable availability in Thailand. You get used to waiting and you learn patience. TIT. But you still survive and enjoy living here.

Consider Harleys. Plenty of those on the road in PTY, much beloved by their owners, but you don't see many official Harley dealers around. :)

You got good testimonials from owners here and international bike forums and websites give Lifan good reviews. You got a factory making them right there in Rayong. The price is a steal (if you like cruisers), and the money saved on the purchase price could go to pay for any needed repairs.

It comes with a 2-year warranty on the engine.

And that's all quite good enough.

Like I said, at this point, I am waiting.....

And nobody gives a shit if you are. Enjoy sneering and wanking over your own uninformed skepticism. Such enjoyment is after all common around here: Central Festival was gonna fail and the building was gonna fall down. Big C Extra, after taking over Carrefour, is ALL bad; NOBODY is gonna shop there; and it's gonna go out of business. Pattaya is DYING even as you can hardly move because of the traffic and can't find a parking place. Yeah, yeah.

Meanwhile, Lifan owners are enjoying riding their Lifans now. :)

Edited by JSixpack

Hello JSixPack,

Thanks for your comments.

Apprciate it...

Yes ALL the feedback that I have been able to find online so far has been

possitive.... except for the one guy that had to replace the engine

after two weeks....

Still wondering how that went at the local dealer...

Again thanks for the imput.

read closely - - the phantom engine had to be replaced 2 weeks after i bought it new, not the lifan

Hello JSixPack,

Thanks for your comments.

Apprciate it...

Yes ALL the feedback that I have been able to find online so far has been

possitive.... except for the one guy that had to replace the engine

after two weeks....

Still wondering how that went at the local dealer...

Again thanks for the imput.