Penang Visa Runs Hotel Accommodations

I can see the need for this thread for first timers heading to Penang. For the people who have been before you already know what to expect. Some people are not looking for 5 star hotels and some would just like a place to hang their hat for the night. As the low end discount places often can’t afford to advertize, I think this thread would be a excellent place to find them. I would hope that the posts that follow would have the format of Name, Cost, location, pros and cons, and what it is near. I hope other will add to this thread for the first timers.

I stayed at Trang City lodge on Jalan Trang. They have about 33 rooms. The rooms were from 30-50 Ringgit (x 9 for ThB). The 30 Ringgit rooms were small and had no private bathroom. The 50 Ringgit rooms have a private bath, all room s had AC. All rooms were clean and comfortable. It is about a 1 minute walk to Gama the grocery store, and 3 minutes to Komtar the main shopping center. There is also a small bar across the street but only serves beer, has a few pool tables. I think this is a good choice for a woman on a budget and wants to shop while she is there. McDonalds, KFC, A&W, and Pizza Hut all within walking distance. The main bus depot is walking distance too. Taking a taxi to the Thai Consulate was 12 Ringgit each way.

Hi Friend -

The sad and pathetic fact is the vast majority of people on this board need a/c and a splash room. I usually take a dorm bed on Love Ln myself and go out to the embassy myself. In fact, in 15 yrs of travel I am proud to say I have never used a broker (why? I have nothing but time..).

That is a good price for room and close to Komtar to p/u bus to Thai Consulate. For RM12 you could have had a broker handle it for b200 dude and thai flyer say.

PLEASE: How much was teh visa in THB or USD - Thanks, leaving in a day or two.

I am very interested in starting a group of like minded people that are clued into doing things themselves, on the cheap, eat local, live local (by and large), can speak Thai/Malay/Khmer... < e.g. actually do not find the environment 'hostile'

peace -

Hi Friend -

The sad and pathetic fact is the vast majority of people on this board need a/c and a splash room. I usually take a dorm bed on Love Ln myself and go out to the embassy myself. In fact, in 15 yrs of travel I am proud to say I have never used a broker (why? I have nothing but time..).

That is a good price for room and close to Komtar to p/u bus to Thai Consulate. For RM12 you could have had a broker handle it for b200 dude and thai flyer say.

PLEASE: How much was teh visa in THB or USD - Thanks, leaving in a day or two.

I am very interested in starting a group of like minded people that are clued into doing things themselves, on the cheap, eat local, live local (by and large), can speak Thai/Malay/Khmer... < e.g. actually do not find the environment 'hostile'

peace -

Yes I agree you could use a broker for many visa types, however in my case I have my own hypnotherapy practice and I am working under my own work permit. I needed to do this in person to extend my Non B. As for the cost they only take Ringgit and not ThB. I am sure it is because they can round up. 500 Ringgit for a non B works out to about 5400 ThB. I am sure they will take ThB if the exchange rate changes in favor of it. Don’t forget your photos.

hey np - i only quoted in thb bec we live here. 40/3.7 roughly and did not know about your visa sit.

do you know how much the 2 month tourist visa is???!

I am considering a broker if it is b200 as thaiflyer i think stated only because its sm money and the consult. is a hassle to return from. but if it were 300 no way.

already have photos in money belt, thx. good tip, i forgot them once going to chinsese emb in pnh.

peace out