Curious Bi.....

I am curious about Bank Intrest paid into a foreigners Thai Bank account. At the end of June this year, I noticed an intrest deposit of several thousand Baht. In Australia this would be classed as Taxable Income. I am aware of a Australian / Thai agreement is regards to taxation matters. However, I thought (think) that this was more to do with working overseas than anything else. Considering the many thousands of people here with money in the bank for Retirement / Marriage extensions, I am sure this topic has been raised befor. I, unfortunatley can not find any info. Can someone please enlighten me about this topic :o I am here on an extension to a non-o (married to Mrs Daddy) :D

My BKK bank account pays close to 1% (0.75%?) currently. Paid out half yearly. Bank will withhold the tax (think 10-15% of interest) you pay in Thailand automatically.

A so called "foreign" account pays nothing in interest - but it has some other advantages (can keep in USD/easier to re-patriate the money Etc.).

As to your AUS tax situation I guess you have to report it if taxable in AUS. Whether the income is interest/stocks dividends or salary does not matter as such. (but the rate of tax might vary/double taxation agreement might apply). Cheers!

"Bank will withhold the tax (think 10-15% of interest) you pay in Thailand automatically."

If that is the case, and I do not have to worry about it, I am a happy man:D I do maintain an Australian bank account, on which I do pay yearly tax on the intrest earned.