Driving To Angkor Wat

Spoonman

What border crossing do I head to, will be travelling from Pattaya ?

What is involved with taking my car into Cambodia ?

Alternatively filghts into Siam Reap during my dates for travel are going to cost 10,000b pp return, we can fly into Phnom Phen for 3,000b pp return, is car hire available in PP ?

I regret that I cannot directly answer your question but I have heard that taking the car can be very difficult (if not impossible in some cases).

You are going to Angkor Wat - I would just ask if you definitely want to have a car.

I have flown into PP before and taken a boat up the Tonle Sap - 6 hours, an interesting way to see part of the country. I traveled back by shared minibus - 4 hours from memory.

If you don't fancy that then flying into SR may be your best choice. Depends on your budget and traveling preferences.

Get an E Visa to avoid the border mafia and excessive charging - evident at Aranyapatet/Poipet and Chong Chom/O'smach

I am involved in organising a trip for 15 people next week from Buriram to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat visit). Three nights 3,500 p.p. including B & B in a 3 star hotel and transport. The advantage we have is that we are only 4 hours drive from Siem Reap via Chong Sa Ngam crossing.

I am also flying to PP return, with Air Asia, in January for 2,100 Baht.

You MUST bring the green book, cost at the border is ~ 200 baht for a bike, to be payed at the building next to the custom. I will go Trat-Koh kong to Sianokville myself, then Sianokville-Pnom pen and back.

And yep, sure thing don't give the scum at the border ~700 baht tip, get e-visa or get it at the Cambodian embassy.

I regret that I cannot directly answer your question but I have heard that taking the car can be very difficult (if not impossible in some cases).

You are going to Angkor Wat - I would just ask if you definitely want to have a car.

I have flown into PP before and taken a boat up the Tonle Sap - 6 hours, an interesting way to see part of the country. I traveled back by shared minibus - 4 hours from memory.

If you don't fancy that then flying into SR may be your best choice. Depends on your budget and traveling preferences.

Get an E Visa to avoid the border mafia and excessive charging - evident at Aranyapatet/Poipet and Chong Chom/O'smach

I am involved in organising a trip for 15 people next week from Buriram to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat visit). Three nights 3,500 p.p. including B & B in a 3 star hotel and transport. The advantage we have is that we are only 4 hours drive from Siem Reap via Chong Sa Ngam crossing.

Bikes are green books, Cars are blue books, Pink book is the English translation

Totally wrong, very easy to take ur car into Cambodia, You can either drive up to Pong Ron and cross at Paulin or drive up to Aranya Prathet and cross over to Poi Pet OR drive to Trat and cross at Koh Kong, First go to ur dmv and get the English translation of ur cars blue book, ( here in Phuket they charged 25 baht for it) and that's it U might need a T sticker but not sure. I have entered at all three places and had my car in and out of Cambodian many times.

Crossing at Koh Kong they will make u pay 100 baht./day for as long as ur going to stay in Cambodia, I always tell them 3 or 4 days. You can then drive to Shianoukville and and spend a day or two there, head up to Phnom Penh and then Battambang before u get to SR. Or take the other entry points if all u want do is go to Angkor. I loved having my car in Cambodian and went everywhere and its a Honda civic and went everywhere with it. Only trouble was passing ( as ur driving on the wrong side over there)

You fill out a few papers at the border and it all takes less than 30 minutes. Note ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia and u can not buy it there for a Thai registered car ( unlike Laos and Malaysia)

Having your own car means ur not relying on public transport. Note its much better when ur going to Angkor to rent a tuk tuk for about $20/day to drive ya around.

The boat trip is nicer heading down river (6 hours) than up and u can hire a taxi Phnom Penh to SR for about $60, (4-5 hours) or the bus is $8-10 (5-6 hours). You can find cars for hire in Cambodia but they want t give ya d river as well and i personally hate having someone else driving me around.

Edited by phuketrichard

Thank you for That, Phuket Richard. I had read previous topics that suggested it was difficult. The ability to use your own transport gives you total freedom in Cambodia - and the chance to visit places off the the tourist map.

However, although you can take the car in it appears that you have to drive uninsured - I guess that not everyone will want to take that risk.

I have some questions:

1] What's dmv ?

2] If my bike is not insured, can the Cambodian police fine me for it ?

3] Is a Thai driving license valid in Cambodia ?

1. Dept of motor vehicles ( where u get ur driving license and resister ur car yearly)

2. Cambodian police don't give a shit if u have insurance or not. $5-10 covers everything

3. Not really. IN fact they don't accept any license and even if u have a Cambodian one ( which u can get for about $5 in 2 days) if they stop u they want $$$$ :D

What currency is prefered in Cambodia USD or TBH.

US Dollars - everything is priced in $, or at the lower end in Cambodian Riels.

Quite straight forward 4,000 Riels in one Dollar. If you buy something for $5.50 and tender $10 you are most likely to get back four $1 notes and 2 x 1,000 Riels notes.

I have not seen THB accepted anywhere although you can use you Thai bank card to get USD out of the ATM's - I am not sure how good the rate/charges are.

Bikes are green books, Cars are blue books, Pink book is the English translation

Totally wrong, very easy to take ur car into Cambodia, You can either drive up to Pong Ron and cross at Paulin or drive up to Aranya Prathet and cross over to Poi Pet OR drive to Trat and cross at Koh Kong, First go to ur dmv and get the English translation of ur cars blue book, ( here in Phuket they charged 25 baht for it) and that's it U might need a T sticker but not sure. I have entered at all three places and had my car in and out of Cambodian many times.

-------------------------------------

LITTLE BIT CONFUSING

You need for car the green book and an ITP (International Transport Permission) the violet small book accompagnished by a letter form with all datas from your car in English. The letter is the official translation of the blue book and not the violet ITP. This documents you get from the Office Land and Transport in your Changwat. Additional you get for free 2 " T " sticker. Cost at all ca. 400 THB and valid for all countries which have border with Thailand.

Driver license: the new driver license in credit plastic format are valid - so they told me in our office L and T in all ASEAN countries ..... even in Vietnam but Vietnam have his ow law, no Farang have right to drve car without Vietnamese license and forget drive there a right hand car (steering wheel at the right side as in Thailand)

--------------------------------------

Crossing at Koh Kong they will make u pay 100 baht./day for as long as ur going to stay in Cambodia, I always tell them 3 or 4 days. You can then drive to Shianoukville and and spend a day or two there, head up to Phnom Penh and then Battambang before u get to SR. Or take the other entry points if all u want do is go to Angkor. I loved having my car in Cambodian and went everywhere and its a Honda civic and went everywhere with it. Only trouble was passing ( as ur driving on the wrong side over there)

You fill out a few papers at the border and it all takes less than 30 minutes. Note ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia and u can not buy it there for a Thai registered car ( unlike Laos and Malaysia)

Having your own car means ur not relying on public transport. Note its much better when ur going to Angkor to rent a tuk tuk for about $20/day to drive ya around.

The boat trip is nicer heading down river (6 hours) than up and u can hire a taxi Phnom Penh to SR for about $60, (4-5 hours) or the bus is $8-10 (5-6 hours). You can find cars for hire in Cambodia but they want t give ya d river as well and i personally hate having someone else driving me around.

Edited by challenger99

LITTLE BIT CONFUSING

You need for car the green book and an ITP (International Transport Permission) the violet small book accompagnished by a letter form with all datas from your car in English. The letter is the official translation of the blue book and not the violet ITP. This documents you get from the Office Land and Transport in your Changwat. Additional you get for free 2 " T " sticker. Cost at all ca. 400 THB and valid for all countries which have border with Thailand.

Driver license: the new driver license in credit plastic format are valid - so they told me in our office L and T in all ASEAN countries ..... even in Vietnam but Vietnam have his ow law, no Farang have right to drve car without Vietnamese license and forget drive there a right hand car (steering wheel at the right side as in Thailand)

The CAR BOOK IS BLUE TRUST me, i have mine right here and u get the red/pink/purple book as stated at the land transport office. IN Phuket they charged me 25 baht and they did not have any stickers.

Also the Thai license is NO GOOD in Cambodia but as i stated they don't care. :rolleyes:

FOR Phuket they do not need the English version of ur blue book but u need have an ENGLISH translation paper to cross into Malaysia., Not sure what they ask for if u have a Bangkok registered car

US Dollars, except for the border police which refuse US$ 20 and instead demand 1200 baht, to be paid in thai baht.

bring a microphone and or video recorder

Not so at Chong Sa Ngam - they were happy to accept $20 :)

Agreed - rustic as hell and you can count the number of non-Thai tourists going thru there in a day on two hands, but have never been ripped off there.

LITTLE BIT CONFUSING

The CAR BOOK IS BLUE TRUST me, i have mine right here and u get the red/pink/purple book as stated at the land transport office. IN Phuket they charged me 25 baht and they did not have any stickers.

Also the Thai license is NO GOOD in Cambodia but as i stated they don't care. :rolleyes:

FOR Phuket they do not need the English version of ur blue book but u need have an ENGLISH translation paper to cross into Malaysia., Not sure what they ask for if u have a Bangkok registered car

I DON'T want start a fight, I apologize, it was my mistake call it green book, it's the BLUE BOOK for car.

With the documents I have different experiences. 1st time as greenhorn I pass TH/Laos border without documents, just some bribes. Coming back at the Thai side they show me the documents I will need to not have any touble.

I know in Thailand each office and custom officer handle the matter different as in office for Land and Transport in P-Buri the lady said what I want don't exist, after 1 hour scatch she avow they exist but she isn't able (or don't want do it). I went to the main office of L and T in Prachuap KK and got between 1 hour:

- translation of blue book conc. car datas in English - violet ITP and 2 x the "T" one for outside, the other for inside car. Once crossing the Malay border they officer just ask me for the English version ..... if once copied the datas into the computer at the border you can cross between 10 instead 30 - 45 min. Theay easy print you out the border documents.

post-98550-0-60268500-1313558769_thumb.j

post-98550-0-51781600-1313558771_thumb.j

post-98550-0-20771800-1313558774_thumb.j

post-98550-0-81843100-1313558776_thumb.j

post-98550-0-95933600-1313558778_thumb.j

post-98550-0-31383600-1313558781_thumb.j

post-98550-0-40979700-1313558783_thumb.j

post-98550-0-30543300-1313558785_thumb.j

<br />
<br />I regret that I cannot directly answer your question but I have heard <b>that taking the car can be very difficult (if not impossible in some cases</b>).<br /><br />You are going to Angkor Wat - I would just ask if you definitely want to have a car.<br /><br />I have flown into PP before and taken a boat up the Tonle Sap - 6 hours, an interesting way to see part of the country. I traveled back by shared minibus - 4 hours from memory.<br /><br />If you don't fancy that then flying into SR may be your best choice. Depends on your budget and traveling preferences.<br /><br />Get an E Visa to avoid the border mafia and excessive charging - evident at Aranyapatet/Poipet and Chong Chom/O'smach<br /><br />I am involved in organising a trip for 15 people next week from Buriram to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat visit). Three nights 3,500 p.p. including B & B in a 3 star hotel and transport. The advantage we have is that we are only 4 hours drive from Siem Reap via Chong Sa Ngam crossing.<br /><br />I am also flying to PP return, with Air Asia,  in January for 2,100 Baht.<br />
<br /><br />Bikes are green books, Cars are blue books,  Pink book is the English translation <br /><br />Totally wrong, very easy to take ur car into Cambodia,  You can either drive up to Pong Ron and cross at Paulin  or drive up to Aranya Prathet and cross over to Poi Pet OR drive to Trat and cross at Koh Kong,  First go to ur dmv and get the English translation of ur cars blue book, ( here in Phuket they charged 25 baht for it)  and that's it  U might need a T sticker but not sure.  I have entered at all three places and had my car in and out of Cambodian many times.<br /><br />Crossing at Koh Kong they will make u pay 100 baht./day for as long as ur going to stay in Cambodia, I always tell them 3 or 4 days.  You can then drive to Shianoukville and and spend a day or two there, head up to Phnom Penh and then Battambang before u get to SR.  Or take the other entry  points if all u want do is go to Angkor.  I loved having my car in Cambodian and went everywhere and its a Honda civic and went everywhere with it.  Only trouble was passing ( as ur driving on the wrong side over there)<br /><br />You fill out a few papers at the border and it all takes less than 30 minutes. Note ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia and u can not buy it there for a Thai registered car ( unlike Laos and Malaysia)<br /><br />Having your own car means ur not relying on public transport.  Note its much better when ur going to Angkor to rent a tuk tuk for about $20/day to drive ya around.<br /><br />The boat trip is nicer heading down river (6 hours) than up and u can hire a taxi Phnom Penh to SR for about $60, (4-5 hours) or the bus is $8-10 (5-6 hours). You can find cars for hire in Cambodia but they want t give ya d river as well and i personally hate having someone else driving me around.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi, the "pink book" you refer to is unknown to me. What I have is a purble small booklet (passport size) called "International Transport Permit" where entry/exit stamps are affixed at the borders. Booklet is known in Laos and Vietnam; Myanmar does not work except Mae Sai/Tachilek (daytrip without any paper trails). The booklet looks as follows. Thanks for the update.

post-65504-0-55313700-1313898323_thumb.j

<br />
<br />I regret that I cannot directly answer your question but I have heard <b>that taking the car can be very difficult (if not impossible in some cases</b>).<br /><br />You are going to Angkor Wat - I would just ask if you definitely want to have a car.<br /><br />I have flown into PP before and taken a boat up the Tonle Sap - 6 hours, an interesting way to see part of the country. I traveled back by shared minibus - 4 hours from memory.<br /><br />If you don't fancy that then flying into SR may be your best choice. Depends on your budget and traveling preferences.<br /><br />Get an E Visa to avoid the border mafia and excessive charging - evident at Aranyapatet/Poipet and Chong Chom/O'smach<br /><br />I am involved in organising a trip for 15 people next week from Buriram to Siem Reap (for Angkor Wat visit). Three nights 3,500 p.p. including B & B in a 3 star hotel and transport. The advantage we have is that we are only 4 hours drive from Siem Reap via Chong Sa Ngam crossing.<br /><br />I am also flying to PP return, with Air Asia, in January for 2,100 Baht.<br />
<br /><br />Bikes are green books, Cars are blue books, Pink book is the English translation <br /><br />Totally wrong, very easy to take ur car into Cambodia, You can either drive up to Pong Ron and cross at Paulin or drive up to Aranya Prathet and cross over to Poi Pet OR drive to Trat and cross at Koh Kong, First go to ur dmv and get the English translation of ur cars blue book, ( here in Phuket they charged 25 baht for it) and that's it U might need a T sticker but not sure. I have entered at all three places and had my car in and out of Cambodian many times.<br /><br />Crossing at Koh Kong they will make u pay 100 baht./day for as long as ur going to stay in Cambodia, I always tell them 3 or 4 days. You can then drive to Shianoukville and and spend a day or two there, head up to Phnom Penh and then Battambang before u get to SR. Or take the other entry points if all u want do is go to Angkor. I loved having my car in Cambodian and went everywhere and its a Honda civic and went everywhere with it. Only trouble was passing ( as ur driving on the wrong side over there)<br /><br />You fill out a few papers at the border and it all takes less than 30 minutes. Note ur thai insurance is not valid in Cambodia and u can not buy it there for a Thai registered car ( unlike Laos and Malaysia)<br /><br />Having your own car means ur not relying on public transport. Note its much better when ur going to Angkor to rent a tuk tuk for about $20/day to drive ya around.<br /><br />The boat trip is nicer heading down river (6 hours) than up and u can hire a taxi Phnom Penh to SR for about $60, (4-5 hours) or the bus is $8-10 (5-6 hours). You can find cars for hire in Cambodia but they want t give ya d river as well and i personally hate having someone else driving me around.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Hi, the "pink book" you refer to is unknown to me. What I have is a purble small booklet (passport size) called "International Transport Permit" where entry/exit stamps are affixed at the borders. Booklet is known in Laos and Vietnam; Myanmar does not work except Mae Sai/Tachilek (daytrip without any paper trails). The booklet looks as follows. Thanks for the update.

So clever, if you look on mine it is purple too, not all are native Englis speaker ...... okay?

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone comment on the quality of the roads now:

a) from Poi Pet to Siem Riep

B) from Siem Riep to the Chong Sa Ngam border.

I have traded my 4WD for a Korean people carrier (as I have more people now), so pretty good quality car, but not particularly high off the road...

Am in Cambodia right now. Tried to take my car in through Aranayaprathet last time, to no avail. So all of you guys that say you can, please show me a picture of your car in Cambodia at that particular border crossing. Perhaps through other points but NOT this one. Spoke to the head of Cambodian Customs, need a permit from Ministry of Tourism in Phnom Penh.

So unless you have recently done it, please do not dispense false information. If going to Angkor Wat, just park you car 100 Baht a day,walk accross, catch a cab just past the casinos US 23, less hassle then driving anyway.

PS: The reason Itried to take the car in the first time, was because of wrong advice given here.