Maid Salry

CPH

:

Oh and BTW, in my experiance maids seem to be paid 4000-6000 baht, 6am-9pm, 3 days off per month.  They also get a room and food.  This is not a bad deal for a girl from a poor family as she doesn't need to spend any of the money, she can send it back to her family, which makes her and her family very happy.  Most farangs I know give more time off than the Thai's.  Usually one day a week sometimes more, and they also don't make them work such long hours each day.

There's far worse jobs out there than being a live in maid earning 5g a month with food and board.  Providing the work is with a family that treat you well.

When I came to the U.K for the first time I could not speak English so I worked mainly as housekeeper in posh hotels.Later on I was studying my degree I worked as maid (the loan was not enough to live on).

I have worked by many different people some people treat me better than oher. One of the family I worked for were really nice to me we still see each other. They are like my second family (they treat me like you treat yours Greer).

However whatever you pay( I do not mind if is in thb, €, dollars,pounds...) is not enough. After so many years I was fed up of cleaning someone else dirt. Your hands get dry by using the chemical products and ironing, your back hurts because of the vacuum cleaner, ironing, making beds...

Everybody thinks that they know how to clean so everytime I started with a new family they teach me how to do my job( something that I did for many years) I do not thing people do the same with the plumber.

The people do not appreciate your job as much because they only notice it when it hasn´t been done.

Some people think that cleaners are low class people or farmer daughters so they think they need little money to live on. But that is not the case for everybody but even though if your cleaner has not education, skills ... Think how much you would like to be paid for cleaning someone else dirt ( toilets, rubbish bin, dust...)?

Finally I person who cleans your house and take care of your children should be someone very important for you and if you do not mind pay a lot for a holiday not escatimate on salary of a person who play such an important role in your life.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your hands get dry by using the chemical products and ironing, your back hurts because of the vacuum cleaner, ironing, making beds...

Everybody thinks that they know how to clean so everytime I started with a new family they teach me how to do my job( something that I did for many years)

Cry me a river. There are alot tougher jobs out there and everyone thinks they should be paid more.

Hi doza

Then that is what you should do ask for more. I do not know how many years you have been working as a maid once you tell me we can talk about it. Also I think I have not said that is the worst job in the world. What I have said is that the maid job is worst than people think. I think you are one of those people who thinks that a maid job is piece of cake. Well I don´t therefore I want to make sure that the people know that is not only a hard job but also degrading, because my friend even though you have the money to hire a cleaner that does not mean that you have the education to avoid your cleaner to clean certain things that are disgusting.

• 3 weeks later...

Just to evive this topic, Glauka has raised a very valid point in that its not necessarily the salary that the maid is paid, a lot goes on the living conditions that they must put up with.

As i said in my previous replies (I think!!) we built a small room in our new house for her which isnt as nice as the little maids house at our last house. She was very apprehensive about living in there at first, but giving her some more freedom in the main house, and the very important fact that she has a lot more friends in the area in which we now live has proved a godsend. She is now happier than ever!!