Smc 7904wbra Barricade

stumonster

I am trying to get a smc barricade connected to true adsl. every time I type in my username a appears in front ie username@truehisp - then when it connects I get redirected to a page at true saying to me that it does not recognise my username . I then switch the line to the true supplied ethernet modem and it connects with the same username with out a problem - I have sent smc support here in thailand an email - but I am hoping a forum member might give me prompter service.

after previewing the post I see the symbol does not appear in the post - it is a small square - I have attached the relevent portion of the screen grab so you can view the b4stard yourself

post-5232-1130596647_thumb.jpg

I then switch the line to the true supplied ethernet modem and it connects with the same username with out a problem -

im assuming its ppoe

have you tried these steps?

reset your smc to default settings using a small pin

open your browser and enter 192.168.0.1 to your smc router

Note: Do not run Wizard.

Click on the WAN tab on left-hand side of the screen. Select PPPoE.

Select Dynamic PPPoE (unless your ISP supplied you with a static IP address).

In the username field enter [email protected] and your password, where username is your own username.

Maximum Idle Time should be set to zero. Set MTU to 1492, unless specified by your ISP, and set Autoreconnect to Enabled.

Note: If you experience problems accessing certain secure websites and/or email issues, set the MTU to a lower number such as 1472, 1452, etc.

btw: im using a smc but am connecting with ppoA. this barricade i have does not

have ppoa just ppoe.

why not leave it with the isp's modem and hook the router into the modem?

have you visited dslreports.com?

also... does your isp only recognize one mac address? your modem and router

have 2 distinct mac addresses. its possible to spoof macs on some devices but ive not done/tried it with the barricade

Edited by bakachan

When you connect to your Barricade via the web page try to change the Encoding of the page - In Internet Explorer - View Encoding - Try to change this to Western Europe.

If that does not work you can try changing your language in XP and try entering the details in another language.

You can clone the MAC address of your PC with all the Barricade products

Dumb question but, can you backspace over the 'whatever'?

or does it not appear when you input the username.

its there - but skinnier [] - and it does not allow me to backspace over it

why not leave it with the isp's modem and hook the router into the modem?

have you visited dslreports.com?

also... does your isp only recognize one mac address? your modem and router

have 2 distinct mac addresses.  its possible to spoof macs on some devices but ive not done/tried it with the barricade

At the moment I am running a second NIC with the ISP's modem and the other NIC connects to the modem/router/AP and proxyplus. I want to use the barricade for a couple of reasons - one is some hassles I am having with some mapped links in the proxy - the other is the isp's modem has a worthy home to go to when I get the barricade working.

its an interesting though about the MAC - maybe I am barking up the wrong tree - I will spoof the MAC and see what happens

When you connect to your Barricade via the web page try to change the  Encoding of the page - In Internet Explorer - View Encoding  - Try to change this to Western Europe.

If that does not work you can try changing your language in XP and try entering the details in another language.

You can clone the MAC address of your PC with all the Barricade products

I am using firefox , but will see if explorer gives me the same symbol of I configure using it.

will also see what reply I get from support_th smc-asia.com

:o

Have you checked the SMC tech website for firmware updates? My experience is that all of these consumer-grade routers have pretty poor QA, and you sometimes have to keep trying different versions of firmware until you find one with the right set of bugs for you. :o They seem to use the customers as the beta test group...

Also, make sure you are not going through a proxy while trying to configure the router... I recall an old SMC barricade being quite sensitive to my privoxy setup, but working OK with Mozilla in the past.

As I recall that symbol is normal during the wizard setup process and they still had TA listed as provider rather than TRUE. I had a hard time because it kept going back to the setup wizard and I thought something was wrong but in fact I was connected. There were instructions to enter DNS in my manual but no place to enter them in the setup process. I have entered 203.144.255.71 and 72 in my LAN or Hi Speed internet/local area connection/properties/tcp/properties.

Am wondering if you are really getting that screen from TRUE or from that software they asked us to install (Hi-Speed Navigator). That program would be expecting contact using your other modem so might have heartburn. Says I am not connected if I bring it up but still can do bandwidth tests with it.

Do you get lights 1/2/4 on and 3 blink when you send? I would try IE also.

Once you get it working it should be fine but understand how frustrating trying to get it working can be.

I am getting connected - according to the status page , assigned an IP n all - but as soon as I direct my browser somewhere , up pops the true page - I do not recognise your username

if you are using true through a barricade could you login to your router and check --> advanced --> wlan --> atm --> VC1 and see if your username has a little rectangle in front of it...thx

this is the reply I got from smc thailand

Dear Sir

Please call back to our distributor (02-6776200) or  SMC Networks Office

02-6518733.

We will recommended to you .

I will steel myself and give it a go tomorrow :o

I am getting connected - according to the status page , assigned an IP n all - but as soon as I direct my browser somewhere , up pops the true page - I do not recognise your username

if you are using true through a barricade could you login to your router and check --> advanced --> wlan --> atm  --> VC1  and see if your username has a little rectangle in front of it...thx

this is the reply I got from smc thailand

Dear Sir

Please call back to our distributor (02-6776200) or  SMC Networks Office

02-6518733.

We will recommended to you .

I will steel myself and give it a go tomorrow :o

Symbol is not indicated but do remember it (not square but as your fist post shows) during the set up process (but did that at least a dozen times as did not think it was taking). My name is in all caps but @truehisp is lower case. Expect that is only because I was trying every possibility and was the one used before I found I was really connected.

Edited by lopburi3

ok - its agoer now

the result seems to have been to use internet explorer to configure the router - it seemed like the least likely solution so I left it to last :o

no assistance from smc thailand - spent all my time traversing an automated telphone conn.

the other thing worth of note is the symbol was different on another computer with firefox - instead of the square/rectangle there was a small verticle line with an arrowhead on each end.

They do say Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator so it seems they mean it. Sorry it did not register that you were using Firefox until you mentioned it (again). It sure is nice to have it take care of all the work - I leave connected 24 hours.