Thai Fashion Industry Fights Fakes

webfact

FASHION

The fashion industry fights fakes

By The Nation

30162922-01.jpg

Following Bangkok Fashion Society's successful marketing of its 17 Thai clothing brands under the slogan "Think Global, Dress Local", the BFS is launching a new campaign to counter counterfeit Thai designer clothing.

"Stop Fakes, Wear Originals Now!" is the new campaign to fight fake goods. The positive note is that Thai brands are now of such high quality that they too are being copied.

BFS president Mollika Ruengkrittiya says the BFS has already taken action against counterfeits with the help of the police and Department of Special Investigations. They recently seized 5,000 articles of clothing and other evidence in the major clothes market in the Pratunam area.

The campaign has been prepared for eight months and it will start with the copyright registration on fabric patterns. The members of BFS will also catalogue everything, which will pave the way for them to easily take legal action in cases of copyright violation.

Mollika says that the measure is however not sustainable and the members agree that the more efficient way in the long term is to educate the younger generation. They should learn to be original and creative in wearing clothes and accessories. They need not necessarily be expensive or famous brands but original.

Bhanu Inkhawat, the creative director at the Thai clothing brand Greyhound, says copying products simply corrupts the creator's initial idea and renders it almost meaningless.

Leading designers say they have put effort in producing quality products and building their brands and it is unfair if they create work without protection. Paralleling with the BFS effort, the designers hope to see the government providing them with legal protection and promotion of their works.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-16

'Bhanu Inkhawat, the creative director at the Thai clothing brand Greyhound, says copying products simply corrupts the creator's initial idea and renders it almost meaningless.'

I don't think anyone has the power to control what is beeing sold in bazaars and street corners. Those fake designer items will be available just like the 'Hillfigers', Calvin Kleins' and 'Ralph Laurens' :lol:

:D

Ha Ha.55555

people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones. this is hilarious :lol:. who do these copying people think they are==how dare they==it's not cricket == the starting of this practice here in our land is uncalled for==We have got these expensive products of our own and have been hi-jacked. what is the world coming to???????:whistling::jap:

I have never understood high fashion. God forbid that everybody is dressed the identically, that would make us all zombies, but anybody being dictated to by strange people in Milan, Paris and London on what to wear this year, what is passe, what is avant garde, is way beyond my understanding. The whole thing is beyond my reality. It seems to me that pretension rules. What used to be a frock was transformed into a dress and has now metamorphosed into a creation. Scent to perfume to fragrance. Barber to hairdresser to hair artist. Smoke and mirrors transport people into make believe worlds. A suit from Savile Row I can get my head round but designer jeans? I guess that I have a Marks and Spencer mentality.

Why should Thai designers (creators?) be surprised that cheap copies of their products are appearing. Where do they think that they are? Are they living is some unreal oh so chic hairy fairy world? Are they so divorced from Thai culture? Never mind dear hearts and duckies. Be flattered that some copy you and your work. If you are artists as some claim, money is so vulgar anyway. Artists were born to suffer. Enjoy.

You Reap What You Sow... Deal with it!

in this case wouldn't it be "reap what you sew"

sorry..

this is just like the 'more civilised' nations now outlawing corruption/drugs/trafficking/weapons etc..

oh noes, dont eats into OUR profits'sessss....

Suck it up! at least your 'original' brand/s may see the light of day outside of thailand if it gets bootlegged...eh? eh??

etc..

" ...."Think Global, Dress Local", the BFS is launching a new campaign to counter counterfeit Thai designer clothing."

I agree!!! it's time to stop all those foreigners creating fakes of our local original thai products, it's always those farangs eh?! :lol:

Why would anybody want to knock-off Thai Name Brand clothing? I am certainly not up on Thai made fashion (or any fashion for that matter) but would believe the price between a knock-off made in Thailand (or even China) is not going to cost all that much less than a Name Brand Thai clothing product. My guess is the knock-off and name brands might be using the same factory.

My guess is the knock-off and name brands might be using the same factory.

That's certainly known to happen in China.

But China takes the biscuit for fakery!! rip off nike and addidas shops across the street from real ones for instance, it's hilarious

I have never understood high fashion. ...The whole thing is beyond my reality.

Dont beat yourself up as after looking around your definitely in the majority here that's why surely Thailand must rank number 1 in the world for...

"The most unkempt appearance's of fashion clueless foreigners."

I have never understood high fashion. ...The whole thing is beyond my reality.

Dont beat yourself up as after looking around your definitely in the majority here that's why surely Thailand must rank number 1 in the world for...

"The most unkempt appearance's of fashion clueless foreigners."

I should be quite happy, if not proud, to be included in the number of fashion clueless foreigners, but as for being unkempt I plead not guilty. I am at all times tastefully presented in an outfit that suits the occasion.

post-35987-0-01972700-1313709414_thumb.j