Another Yahoo Email Question

bdenner

Unlike the FREE Hotmail Account can Yahoo be used with OutLook Express? If so what are the Incoming POP3 and Outgoing SMPT server connections, I've tried things like "mail.yahoo.com.au" and other variations.

Thanks in advance

You need to pay to have pop3 on Yahoo. $20US a year for 2GB space and pop3. Not a bad deal I use myself.

pop.mail.yahoo.com

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I have pop3 thru Yahoo and pay nothing.

I think I get 1GB for free but it may be less.

Those setting are exactly what I have in Outlook.

Outlook Express is almost certainly the same as Outlook.

Cheers

You need to pay to have pop3 on Yahoo. $20US a year for 2GB space and pop3. Not a bad deal I use myself.

pop.mail.yahoo.com

smtp.mail.yahoo.com

I have pop3 thru Yahoo and pay nothing.

I think I get 1GB for free but it may be less.

Those setting are exactly what I have in Outlook.

Outlook Express is almost certainly the same as Outlook.

Cheers

Thanks guys, not connected yet but getting close. Some sort of hangup with my password now.

Oh well. Not sure how Paulr manages to get the access on a "free account", unless it's like hotmail where they "grandfathered" some older accounts to still be able to use POP3 access. New hotmail accounts cannot unless a paid premium account.

Saying that, I have had my free yahoo account for over 5 years and no, I cannot use it with outlook express either. Checking the yahoo help pages it indeed states:

" How do I POP my mail?

The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service.

If you have not purchased the Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be unable to retrieve messages via an email client. To determine whether or not you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services page. "

I might add here, for what it is worth. Gmail (from google) is still offering Pop3 access on it's free accounts. Well actually gmail doesn't have any "paid premium" offers.....not yet anyway. :D While I still have my free yahoo and hotmail accounts, I've long since switched to gmail as my primary email. Also, seems to work better than yahoo or hotmail here in Thailand IMHO. :o

For me Yahoo used to offer free POP3 access but they stopped offering that a few years ago (April 24, 2002). It is a great feature and I can understand why they started charging for it.

Possible work-around?

Thanks for that "work around" link for using a free Yahoo account to access POP3. I tried it with my "Incredimail" and it worked just fine, so I'm sure it would work with outlook/outlook express as well. I really don't use my yahoo account anymore but I know some people who do and this "work around" would be real nice for them. :o

For me Yahoo used to offer free POP3 access but they stopped offering that a few years ago (April 24, 2002). It is a great feature and I can understand why they started charging for it.

Possible work-around?

Interesting site. I spent a little time trying their solutions and it failed. Overall it is not a big deal as the Yahoo account is only a backup to my primary 'BigPond' email server which works well in Office Outlook.

Just another excersize to keep me off the piss for a few more hours.

The last Yahoo! account l opened a year ago still offered free POP access (.com.au). Works fine with Outlook Express for me. I noticed one time on the US Yahoo! that a lot of the extra features in the paid version were provided free in the Australian one.

Looking at the Australian Yahoo! site the only advantages for me to have a paid account would be no advertising and 2GB storage, not worth USD20 to me at the moment however if l had to pay to retain POP access l probably would.

One reason l think the Yahoo! Australian POP accounts are/were? free is that you agree to receive advertising offers in your e-mail. Thing is, after the first offer you can just decline future offers and that's the end of the offers.