PM Yingluck Shirks Question If Charter Change Aims To Benefit Thaksin

webfact

PM shirks question if charter change aims to benefit Thaksin

By THE NATION

Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra yesterday refused to answer reporters' questions on whether the government plan to amend the Constitution was aimed at benefiting her brother, fugitive ex-premier Thaksin Shinawatra.

When asked if she was concerned about the possible political impact of any charter change, the prime minister said: "Everything will depend on the public as a whole."

Responding to a question whether this charter change was for the benefit of her brother, Yingluck said: "We have not discussed this. Let me look into the details."

When asked how the planned amendment would benefit the public as a whole, the country's first woman prime minister simply ignored the question and left the reporters.

The impromptu interview took place when Yingluck arrived at the Parliament building late yesterday morning for a meeting of the House of Representatives.

Earlier in the interview, Yingluck said that any constitutional amendment would be the work of the Lower House. She said the government had never declared it wanted the charter changed within three months, as had been suggested by House Speaker Somsak Kiartsuranond, or even within a year.

Somsak yesterday said the charter change was not aimed at giving amnesty to Thaksin and that it had nothing to do with the ruling Pheu Thai Party.

He voiced support for forming |a constitution drafting assembly (CDA) to amend the charter, |a change of mind from his |earlier proposal for a "fast-track approach" that would allow Parliament to amend the Constitution within three |months, without having to establish a CDA.

The House speaker said many provisions in the current post-coup Constitution were against democratic principles.

Meanwhile, Abhisit Vejjajiva, the former prime minister and opposition Democrat leader, yesterday said his party would "oppose the constitutional amendment to the end".

He said the ruling Pheu Thai Party appeared to have reneged on its campaign promise that constitutional amendment would not be an urgent matter for its government.

Former deputy premier Suthep Thaugsuban, another key Democrat figure, said he personally disagreed with any attempt to amend the constitution to whitewash an individual's wrongdoing.

"I want the government to rather focus on solving the problems of the country and the people," he said.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2011-08-18

So lets examine the actual respones made by the PM

"Everything will depend on the public as a whole."

"We have not discussed this. Let me look into the details."

"the country's first woman prime minister simply ignored the question and left the reporters"

No very much being said is there ?..1.first answer all rather cryptic, answer 2. I havent talked to my brother yet and see what he wants to do...3. time to get my hair/nails done...:whistling:

I love the response that 'it depends not he public'. What that says to me is 'we'll do what we want, and if you don't like you don't like, depends on you'. Also, she's never admitted to knowing anything about anything that's going on in her government.

Good job, I think the Thai people did get what they deserve!

I'm waiting for the headline "YINGLUK ANSWERS QUESTIONS........" Might be a while yet.

I can see the headline now......YingLuck says I DON'T KNOW....or...I DON'T REMEMBER.....or....I DIDN'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT...or...I NEVER TRIED TO HELP MY BROTHER, I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE REST OF PARLIAMENT WAS DOING......

I think it's an unwritten rule in Thailand that the Thai Constitution must be completely replaced or greatly modified every few years....it's called democracy (well, really it's called what the ruling political party of the year wants).

I can't wait till the first parliamentary debate she'll be involved in, which, unless she shirks it, will be the upcoming policy one. Popcorn ready for some entertaining viewing.

It is possible to get information out of her on occasion though. She recently revealed her favourite TV character.

post-73341-0-81556400-1313655055_thumb.j

Edited by ballpoint

I can't wait till the first parliamentary debate she'll be involved in, which, unless she shirks it, will be the upcoming policy one. Popcorn ready for some entertaining viewing.

It is possible to get information out of her on occasion though. She recently revealed her favourite TV character.

post-73341-0-81556400-1313655055_thumb.j

\

I was only obeying order's from my commanding officer.....:lol:

"the country's first woman prime minister simply ignored the question and left the reporters"

No very much being said is there ?..1.first answer all rather cryptic, answer 2. I havent talked to my brother yet and see what he wants to do...3. time to get my hair/nails done...:whistling:

Very similar to her brother's press conferences in the past! I wonder if she will start using the paddles to indicate which questions are allowed?

I think it's an unwritten rule in Thailand that the Thai Constitution must be completely replaced or greatly modified every few years....it's called democracy (well, really it's called what the ruling political party of the year wants).

It's called a lying crony oligarchy of politicians (though Yingluck doesn't deserve that title even, as she had no experience in politics...)

It's the new benchmark for PM's... say nothing and everything will be ok

So far, she hasn't made any statement of great significance in relation to governing this country. That's probably why she hasn't made any major mistake in public.

:cheesy:

Yet another new benchmark. Don't say anything and you can't be criticized.

"Everything will depend on the public as a whole"

Yet it won't be put to a referendum, as a major re-write of the Constitution should be, even the much-criticised military junta-appointed government was more democratic than this ?

Meanwhile Weng says that it will be the subject of a referendum, are MPs allowed to go off-message like this, so soon ? B)

Some might suspect that the Thai people won't be giving any landslides, to this rewriting of the rules for just one man, which is why PTP & PM-Yingluck dare not put it to the vote. So how can it "depend on the public" then ? <_<

I think the final outcome of all this is that Thailand will look like it condones violance and thuggery. I mean all those who were jailed for violent acts pending trial (eg red shirts burning down county halls, etc) will get off scott free. I don't have any political axe to grind but there is no excuse for violence and thuggery when it comes to making your point. The recent riots in the UK make that very clear; society should not condone that, never mind a government. Whether you support PT or the democrats there is no excuse for using violence, intimidation, thuggery or blantent corruption.

I think the final outcome of all this is that Thailand will look like it condones violance and thuggery. I mean all those who were jailed for violent acts pending trial (eg red shirts burning down county halls, etc) will get off scott free. I don't have any political axe to grind but there is no excuse for violence and thuggery when it comes to making your point. The recent riots in the UK make that very clear; society should not condone that, never mind a government. Whether you support PT or the democrats there is no excuse for using violence, intimidation, thuggery or blantent corruption.

Yeah Maichai, you have covered it all in a nutshell, and further comments apart from agreeing with you are quite surplus to requirements .

Dr. Thaksin won the last election and Ms. Yingluck is a place-holder until he returns. He will return and he won't be under any charges and he may even get his money and position back. Those who cannot accept this reality are going to be very frustrated over the coming years. My only questionis: Why the hurry? His return is a done deal and only needs the 'formalities' to make it all neat and legal. What is going on behind the scenes (military, dems, etc.) that is causing this man to want to 'jump the gun' and thereby make it difficult for the PM and his supporters to explain why his actions are in conflict with their words? I know from following him since 1999 that he is self-admittedly impetuous, I know he is arrogant, but is he so narcissistic hecannot see all the problems he is causing for those who love and support him? We are all flawed human beings and I am not condemning someone for being true to their nature but he seems to be in such a hurry that I wonder what is going on.I thought the time-table had him returning by the end of the year. Anybody got a clue?

(edited to add spaces/ defective spacebar operator and proofreader)

Edited by rametindallas

If the use of guns and war materiel to topple a government can be considered violence and thuggery, I think Thailand has looked like it condones violence and thuggery for well over half a century now.